PDA

View Full Version : Coach Pop - any insights?

raspsa
01-14-2009, 08:44 AM
I recall an interview a couple of season's ago during which Pop was asked if he "enjoyed" the game just concluded and he replied that he didn't "enjoy" games but he "appreciated" them. I thought at the time that it was a measured and very honest answer, but not one that anyone would have expected.

Does anyone else have any short Coach Pop annecdote or story to provide more insight into the man? He was the primary reason I got hooked on the Spurs.

Brazil
01-14-2009, 08:51 AM
He smokes cigars and he is an amateur of good french wine

raspsa
01-14-2009, 10:04 AM
I know he's a very humble man. When he was recognized by his alma mater as one out its outstanding alumni, he cited a number of fellow graduates who had served more years in the service as being more deserving of the honor.

Rogue
01-14-2009, 10:21 AM
:corn: is all I know about him

timvp
01-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Does anyone else have any short Coach Pop annecdote or story to provide more insight into the man? He was the primary reason I got hooked on the Spurs.Two Pop moments that stand out off the top of my head.

1) The Spurs were 6-8 in 1999 and word circling the team was that if the Spurs lost in their game at Houston, Pop would be fired as coach. Thankfully the Spurs won. Afterward, Pop was in the middle of his post game press conference when Avery Johnson interrupted and said the team wanted to present him with the game ball. Pop tried to finish the press conference but tears started streaming and he walked away.

2) After the Spurs were eliminated in the 2000 playoffs, timvp and Pop had this conversation:

timvp: Who you want to win the championship now?
Pop: Hmmm, hadn't thought about that.
timvp: Not the Lakers, right?
Pop: Hell no. F@#$ the Lakers.
timvp: Well said.
Pop: I guess I'll root for the Knicks.

Kamnik
01-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Two Pop moments that stand out off the top of my head.

1) The Spurs were 6-8 in 1999 and word circling the team was that if the Spurs lost in their game at Houston, Pop would be fired as coach. Thankfully the Spurs won. Afterward, Pop was in the middle of his post game press conference when Avery Johnson interrupted and said the team wanted to present him with the game ball. Pop tried to finish the press conference but tears started streaming and he walked away.

2) After the Spurs were eliminated in the 2000 playoffs, timvp and Pop had this conversation:

1. Was he just so emotinally wrecked because he could loose the job or touched by the team or what?

2. Seriously? If yes... I envy all of you living in SA to get a chance for something like that!

Spurminator
01-14-2009, 10:47 AM

Awesome.

EricB
01-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Afterward, Pop was in the middle of his post game press conference when Avery Johnson interrupted and said the team wanted to present him with the game ball. Pop tried to finish the press conference but tears started streaming and he walked away

Yeah I remember that, and I believe to this day thats about the most or only bit of emotion I've ever seen him show.

The game at home against Houston at home were Elie hits the shot to bring em from behind, he gets down in a crouching position rubs his temples and smiles in disbelief.

Now he would just stare and maybe say "eh".

raspsa
01-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks for sharing.. I wasn't around for Pop's early years. What in your opinion is the biggest change Pop has undergone from his early years with the Spurs? I suspect he's mellowed a lot and doesn't get so angry during games.

xtremesteven33
01-14-2009, 12:00 PM
Pop and Tim are so alike its funny. I see so much of Tim in Pop and vice versa.

They conduct interviews the same way, go about thier business the same way and have the same sense of humor.

Like a hand fit in a custom made glove.

ClingingMars
01-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Two Pop moments that stand out off the top of my head.

#2: :lmao

-Mars

YODA
01-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks for sharing.. I wasn't around for Pop's early years. What in your opinion is the biggest change Pop has undergone from his early years with the Spurs? I suspect he's mellowed a lot and doesn't get so angry during games.

Does anyone remember a bit Pop did when he was an assistant under Larry brown here? Think it was with Sean

A real funny bit done on one of the local tv sports shows or segmets from 10pm news cast. I just dont remember the details. I think he would do a segment and argue 2 points versus himself or something.

PDXSpursFan
01-14-2009, 12:45 PM
2 Recent memories:

1)
What they did in Memphis is beyond comprehension,” said Popovich. “There should be a trade committee that can scratch all trades that make no sense. I just wish I had been on a trade committee that oversees NBA trades. I’d like to elect myself to that committee. I would have voted no to the L.A. trade.”

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S_soY5Jg_Q&eurl=http://neswsports.com/2008/10/29/pops-pulls-a-hack-a-shaq-joke-during-the-game-video/

timvp
01-14-2009, 12:54 PM

He's mellowed a bit, but that is probably due to the championships as much as age. But I'd say the biggest difference between the Pop of today and the Pop of his early career is that nowadays he's the unquestioned leader. Early on, he leaned on players like AJ, Robinson and even Elie. But somewhere around 2002, he took control and all the leadership on the team starts with him.

He's also a better coach now. His biggest flaw has always been his stubbornness but he's not as stubborn as he used to be.

timvp
01-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Does anyone remember a bit Pop did when he was an assistant under Larry brown here? Think it was with Sean

A real funny bit done on one of the local tv sports shows or segmets from 10pm news cast. I just dont remember the details. I think he would do a segment and argue 2 points versus himself or something.

The Pop and Sean Elliott movie reviews?

Baseline
01-14-2009, 01:00 PM
I don't remember the specific quotes, but after getting shafted by calls which cost us season-ending playoff games in 2004 (LA), 2006 (Dallas), and in a crucial Game 4 at home in 2008 (with the no-call on Barry against LA), Pop continually and consistently took the high road. His unwavering motto is, "Just play."

I think he fully realizes the fact that the League doesn't want the San Antonio Spurs winning every championship between 2003 - 2009.

But if we simply got the same calls as other teams in the League, we could have.

I think Pop knows that his teams, for whatever reason, have to overcome far greater adversity with referees than many other teams with marquee stars. And I think he expertly uses that fact to drive his players that much harder.

EricB
01-14-2009, 01:21 PM

That and IMO, hes just a better coach. He always has been a good coach IMO, I remember when he was hired as the GM in 1994 I wanted him to do GM and coach then but hired the retread Bob Hill.

I'd say also he doesn't "work" the team as hard as he used to when he first began as well. Not as many practices or shootarounds and what not.

Kori Ellis
01-14-2009, 01:22 PM
That and IMO, hes just a better coach. He always has been a good coach IMO, I remember when he was hired as the GM in 1994 I wanted him to do GM and coach then but hired the retread Bob Hill.

I'd say also he doesn't "work" the team as hard as he used to when he first began as well. Not as many practices or shootarounds and what not.

He also doesn't tape up the windows of the practice facility to keep the press and everyone else from knowing what he was doing, like he used to do. :lmao

They don't have as many practices now because this is such a vet team with the core together. They have shootarounds, watch tape, strength training etc. But not as many long practices.

EricB
01-14-2009, 01:27 PM
He also doesn't tape up the windows of the practice facility to keep the press and everyone else from knowing what he was doing, like he used to do. :lmao

They don't have as many practices now because this is such a vet team with the core together. They have shootarounds, watch tape, strength training etc. But not as many long practices.

:lol

I remember that. I remember Jay Howard saying one time how people would get insight on a trade rumor that happened to be true, and Pop would say to others "Find out where the leak came from" :lol

tmtcsc
01-14-2009, 02:00 PM
A little faith in General

As an assistant coach, Pop served as a buffer between the players and a neurotic, perfectionist in Larry Brown. He and Sean seemed to have a very strong relationship due to Larry Brown's incessant criticism of Sean.

Pop's rare display of emotion at the press conference was a direct result of Avery's locker room leadership. It was a huge gesture and calculated message to the ownership for a player to show public support and confidence in their coach.

It was reciprocal. Pop had fired Bob Hill and took a lot of heat for doing so. Few people at the time knew that Avery led a locker room mutiny against Bob Hill and pretty much told Pop that Hill had lost the team and that he needed to go.

Pop never said anything about it to anyone and took all the criticism for the firing. At the time, many fans and journalists (eh hem, Kevin O'Keefe) raked Pop over the coals for firing Hill. Pop had shown a lot faith in Avery in bringing him back to the Spurs when he became GM. The two of them shared a special relationship and Pop leaned on Avery's leadership as a floor general.

Well, history speaks for itself. That Houston game was the beginning of the Spurs cementing themselves in NBA history as one of few multiple Championship winners.

4 Titles and and double digit playoff appearances later, Pop is headed for the basketball Hall of Fame and has been voted by players as the Best Coach in the league. Is it any wonder that he was adamant that Avery's number be hung in the rafters ?

(I'm trying to think of a Buck Harvery way of ending this.)

If not for that public display of appreciation from a point guard (whose claim to fame at the time was being cut on Christmas Eve), San Antonio may have always been known as the team of Little Mermaids who underachieved and spiraled through coaches every other year. Or worse, may have been known as the team that left San Antonio for lack of city support.

All because of a little faith in General.... :whine (Thank You)

EricB
01-14-2009, 02:09 PM
Few people at the time knew that Avery led a locker room mutiny against Bob Hill and pretty much told Pop that Hill had lost the team and that he needed to go

I believe it was Avery, Sean Elliott, and David Robinson.

It was also around the same time Penny Hardaway and the Magic did the same thing to the unrelated Hill in Orlando, and Pop saw what that did to the team and the fans, and decided to take all the blame himself and not let it be known that the same thing had pretty much happened in SA.

tmtcsc
01-14-2009, 02:29 PM
I believe it was Avery, Sean Elliott, and David Robinson.

It was also around the same time Penny Hardaway and the Magic did the same thing to the unrelated Hill in Orlando, and Pop saw what that did to the team and the fans, and decided to take all the blame himself and not let it be known that the same thing had pretty much happened in SA.

Our fortunes really did change because of that 1 game. Can you imagine had Pop been fired ? Would Tim have stayed when he was a free agent ? Its pretty clear that we needed Tim to be successful at all but Pop has been a great coach for him.

Look at some of the other franchise type players that left their original teams in free agency: Shaq, Grant Hill, Nash, McGrady, Brand, Baron Davis (Ok, I'm stretching it on a few of those names). Hell, Shaq's the only one with a ring from that group.

YODA
01-14-2009, 02:50 PM
I fell in love with pop when he was an assistant coach. He would always do the post game comments on the radio show with jay howard. He always told it like it was.
Him and SeaN had a nice relationship.

For kori.....eveytime i write the word ell iot Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_,,," fuck the lakers comes out on here: whats the deal???

EricB
01-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Our fortunes really did change because of that 1 game. Can you imagine had Pop been fired ? Would Tim have stayed when he was a free agent ? Its pretty clear that we needed Tim to be successful at all but Pop has been a great coach for him.

Look at some of the other franchise type players that left their original teams in free agency: Shaq, Grant Hill, Nash, McGrady, Brand, Baron Davis (Ok, I'm stretching it on a few of those names). Hell, Shaq's the only one with a ring from that group.

I can pretty much garuntee you that had Pop been fired, that Duncan probobly leaves.

Although I think Pop's successor was rumored to be Doc Rivers.

duncan228
01-14-2009, 03:23 PM
For kori.....eveytime i write the word ell iot Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_,,," fuck the lakers comes out on here: whats the deal???

I know you asked Kori, but the answer is Elliott has two 't's. :)