PDA

View Full Version : Mexico collapsing?

doobs
01-14-2009, 10:20 AM
http://www.elpasotimes.com/newupdated/ci_11444354

U.S. military report warns 'sudden collapse' of Mexico is possible

By Diana Washington Valdez / El Paso Times ([email protected]?subject=El%20Paso%20Times :%20U.S.%20military%20report%20warns%20%27sudden%2 0collapse%27%20of%20Mexico%20is%20possible)
Posted: 01/13/2009 03:49:34 PM MST

EL PASO - Mexico is one of two countries that "bear consideration for a rapid and sudden collapse," according to a report by the U.S. Joint Forces Command on worldwide security threats.

The command's "Joint Operating Environment (JOE 2008)" report, which contains projections of global threats and potential next wars, puts Pakistan on the same level as Mexico. "In terms of worse-case scenarios for the Joint Force and indeed the world, two large and important states bear consideration for a rapid and sudden collapse: Pakistan and Mexico.

"The Mexican possibility may seem less likely, but the government, its politicians, police and judicial infrastructure are all under sustained assault and press by criminal gangs and drug cartels. How
that internal conflict turns out over the next several years will have a major impact on the stability of the Mexican state. Any descent by Mexico into chaos would demand an American response based on the serious implications for homeland security alone."

The U.S. Joint Forces Command, based in Norfolk, Va., is one of the Defense Departments combat commands that includes members of the different military service branches, active and reserves, as well as civilian and contract employees. One of its key roles is to help transform the U.S. military's capabilities.

In the foreword, Marine Gen. J.N. Mattis, the USJFC commander, said "Predictions about the future are always risky ... Regardless, if we do not try to forecast the future, there is no doubt that we will be caught off guard as we strive to protect this experiment in democracy that we call America."

The report is one in a serious focusing on Mexico's internal security problems, mostly stemming from drug violence and drug corruption. In recent weeks, the Department of Homeland Security and former U.S. drug czar Barry McCaffrey issued similar alerts about Mexico.

Despite such reports, El Pasoan Veronica Callaghan, a border business leader, said she keeps running into people in the region who "are in denial about what is happening in Mexico."

Last week, Mexican President Felipe Calderon instructed his embassy and consular officials to promote a positive image of Mexico.

The U.S. military report, which also analyzed economic situations in other countries, also noted that China has increased its influence in places where oil fields are present.

Diana Washington Valdez may be reached at [email protected]; 546-6140.

DarkReign
01-14-2009, 10:45 AM
They totally deserve US aid to the tune of $60 billion a year. Wait...

doobs
01-14-2009, 10:48 AM
This news really tests my support for an open borders immigration policy. Workers are cool, but I don't want refugees and asylum seekers flooding our cities.

RandomGuy
01-14-2009, 11:03 AM
This news really tests my support for an open borders immigration policy. Workers are cool, but I don't want refugees and asylum seekers flooding our cities.

We are doing much of the same nation-building things for Mexico that we are doing for Pakistan, Columbia, and Iraq, in terms of providing support for training of federal police, and intel.

I wonder what the recession will do to the demand for the drugs that are being smuggled into the US.

I don't see Mexico completely collapsing as a very likely possibility, but it is at least possible, and THAT is scary, especially given how interconnected our economies are, among other reasons that you alluded to.

Bartleby
01-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Legalize drugs in the U.S. and the drug cartels would have much less power. Plus, the U.S. could increase tax revenue by taxing marijuana sales while slashing spending on the war on drugs (law enforcement, court costs, incarceration etc.).

BacktoBasics
01-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Legalize drugs in the U.S. and the drug cartels would have much less power. Plus, the U.S. could increase tax revenue by taxing marijuana sales while slashing spending on the war on drugs (law enforcement, court costs, incarceration etc.).
Christians whould shit themselves.

DarkReign
01-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Christians whould shit themselves.

They already are, whats a little more?

ratm1221
01-14-2009, 11:52 AM
They already are, whats a little more?

:lmao

doobs
01-14-2009, 12:08 PM
I don't really care if our drug policies are to blame for this; in my opinion, Mexico's problems are far larger than the lawlessness caused by the drug cartels along the border. Regardless of the causes, I'm extremely concerned with the frightening prospect that hundreds of thousands--perhaps millions--of Mexicans may soon be crossing the border to escape the worsening conditions.

Assuming Mexico's situation gets worse before it gets better, we have a lot to ponder. Many refugees will likely make it into the big cities and swamp our immigration courts with their asylium requests. (These people will also place a substantial strain on our state and federal budgets--not a small problem considering our current fiscal situation.) Many refugees will try to avoid US authorities altogether and die in the desert. What will we do, set up refugee camps in San Antonio and Los Angeles and Phoenix and El Paso and Houston? Will we militarize the border and keep them out?

The best thing we can do is improve stability in Mexico in the near-term, and then address any long-term policy failures that have contributed to the worsening conditions. So, yes, at the moment, we should be primarily concerned with helping Mexican authorities capture and kill drug kingpins. We should be helping Mexican authorities restore peace and order through law enforcement, because the virus of instability can spread quickly to other cities. Deal with underlying policy later.

SnakeBoy
01-14-2009, 01:51 PM
The best thing we can do is improve stability in Mexico in the near-term

Support a corrupt government that never gave a shit about it's people.

and then address any long-term policy failures that have contributed to the worsening conditions.

Not supporting a corrupt government that never gave a shit about it's people.

Tough task.

MeIII
01-14-2009, 02:13 PM

Don't forget the drug dealers, gang members, and killers.

MeIII
01-14-2009, 02:14 PM

They are involved in a lot more than simply marijuana.

Weak Americans, and dare I say even most TEXANS, would not know what the fuck to do when confronted by the real deal South American "bad guys".

DarkReign
01-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Weak Americans, and dare I say even most TEXANS, would not know what the fuck to do when confronted by the real deal South American "bad guys".

There is no "dare" about it. When comparing a stereotypical American Street-thug people so envy in movies like Boyz N tha Hood with a real South American Druglord, USA Thug is about as imposing and intimidating as Ken from Barbie fame.

South Americans are not to be fucked with. Most criminals from third world countries are not to be fucked with, especially the organized crime folks.

Theyre from a different world than most Americans know. That is most definitely me included, just so I dont come off trying to sound like some badass that knows something you dont. That is not the case.

But these motherfuckers would gut you like a stuck pig in front of your children, with the only semblance of similarity being they may try and avoid your innards getting on their shoes.

Thats a Tuesday after breakfast.

hater
01-15-2009, 10:57 AM
yeah, Mexico is gonna collapse :rolleyes

this prediction is almost as bad as USA collapsing.

Heath Ledger
01-17-2009, 12:00 PM
We should just invade Mexico, clean it up by knocking off all of the murderous drug dealing shitbags then make it a U.S. territory or state. This would put an end to the illegal immigrant issue.....