PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Time For The Big Game

duncan228
01-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Jeff McDonald: Time for the Big Game (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/01/jeff-mcdonald-t-26.html)

The Lakers are officially in town, which means the Western Conference race is officially on. Somewhere at a downtown San Antonio hotel, Derek Fisher is preparing to be booed like Ted Nugent at a PETA fundraiser. The over-under for the number of times ESPN will show his non-called foul against Brent Barry in last year's Western Conference Finals stands at six.

On another note, you know it's a big game when you walk into the media room at the Spurs' practice facility for shootaround, and Jeff Van Gundy has stolen your chair.

So what do we look for tonight? You have questions, we have ... more questions.

Q. How's Manu?

Manu Ginobili was a shell of himself when these two teams met in the playoffs last season, basically ruining all hope of the Spurs competing with the Lakers. Offseason surgery corrected an impingement in Ginobili's left ankle, and he has lately been showing signs of life. For the Spurs to be at their best, Manu has to be Manu.

Q. Who's got Kobe?

Normally the answer to this question would begin with a Bruce and end with a Bowen. Bowen will still get his chance to harass the league's reigning MVP, but with the Spurs' 37-year-old Kobe stopper reduced to a bench role this season, other players are going to have to take a turn. Look for Roger Mason Jr. and Ginobili to share the black bean as well.

Q. How deep is the bench?

One of the Lakers' strong points this season has been their bench, which boasts a good number of playmakers. But two of them (Jordan Farmar and Luke Walton) are out with injuries, and another (Lamar Odom) is coming off a knee injury of his own. The Lakers had to expend a lot of energy to beat Houston on Tuesday night, and won't have a very deep tank to go to tonight. Fatigue could come into play.

Q. Can the Spurs overcome the Pau effect?

The Spurs are 1-5 against the Lakers since last season's trade that brought Pau Gasol from Memphis to L.A. In a related note, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich still hasn't added Grizzlies G.M. Chris Wallace to his Christmas card list. Gasol, a superb passer for a big man, is the perfect pivot man for Phil Jackson's triangle offense. He's also long enough to bother Tim Duncan down low. Duncan never shot better than 50 percent against the Gasol-infused Lakers last season.

sa_butta
01-14-2009, 01:38 PM
dnECY26PSHk

Spork KIller
01-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Prepare to get your collective asses KICKED....

sa_butta
01-14-2009, 02:13 PM
Prepare to get your collective asses KICKED....
Maybe the Suns should prepare for their next meeting with Roger Mason Jr.
:lol

SenorSpur
01-14-2009, 03:12 PM
[B]Q. Can the Spurs overcome the Pau effect?

The Spurs are 1-5 against the Lakers since last season's trade that brought Pau Gasol from Memphis to L.A. In a related note, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich still hasn't added Grizzlies G.M. Chris Wallace to his Christmas card list. Gasol, a superb passer for a big man, is the perfect pivot man for Phil Jackson's triangle offense. He's also long enough to bother Tim Duncan down low. Duncan never shot better than 50 percent against the Gasol-infused Lakers last season.

If Pop is indeed still be miffed about that Gasol trade, I doubt that he would let on to anyone just how much. By now, I highly doubt that he would still be angered over that "spilled milk".

Personally, I'd be more inclined to be still pissed off at Tau Ceramica.

EricB
01-14-2009, 03:16 PM
If Pop is indeed still be miffed about that Gasol trade, I doubt that he would let on to anyone just how much. By now, I highly doubt that he would still be angered over that "spilled milk".

Personally, I'd be more inclined to be still pissed off at Tau Ceramica.

You would be suprised how long Pop can carry on a grudge.

Ask Stephen Jackson's agent.

DrHouse
01-14-2009, 03:17 PM
He should be pissed off that his idiotic FO let go of Scola to a divisional rival for free.

SenorSpur
01-14-2009, 03:30 PM
You would be suprised how long Pop can carry on a grudge.

Ask Stephen Jackson's agent.

Touche'

SenorSpur
01-14-2009, 03:30 PM
He should be pissed off that his idiotic FO let go of Scola to a divisional rival for free.

Touche' - again.

EricB
01-14-2009, 03:38 PM

Hmmm.

Like trading Caron Butler for Kwame Brown?

Allanon
01-14-2009, 03:45 PM
the Spurs' 37-year-old Kobe stopper

Kobe averaged 30 points on 54% shooting in that series.

How come the Spurs can have a Kobe Stopper but the Lakers can't have a Manu Stopper? :lol

2Cleva
01-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Caron begot Kwame who begot Gasol. All's well that end's well.

Scola brought back what again?

21_Blessings
01-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Hmmm.

Like trading Caron Butler for Kwame Brown?

Hmmm, which turned into Kwame Brown for Pau Gasol :hat

Baseline
01-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Let's give credit where it's due.

Gasol came to the Lakers with an assist from David Stern.

Frenzy
01-14-2009, 05:32 PM
i thought of a big mac and fries when i saw this thread,

oh well...

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Somewhere at a downtown San Antonio hotel, Derek Fisher is preparing to be booed like Ted Nugent at a PETA fundraiser. The over-under for the number of times ESPN will show his non-called foul against Brent Barry in last year's Western Conference Finals stands at six.

I saw Monroe's column basically saying the same thing. I don't see Fisher really being booed. He wasn't the one to miss the call last year.

If anyone's being booed it should be the refs.

Utah fans could boo Fisher though.

Sportcamper
01-14-2009, 05:50 PM
I think it is great that the Spurs will be on Prime Time TV for the 1st time this year…Very few of us (outside of SA) even know who still plays for the Spurs…

Sportcamper
01-14-2009, 05:52 PM
And even though the Lakers have been hit with the injury bug & will be playing with out key players, this is “The Big Game” for the Spurs…I will not be surprised if Coach Pops has a banner made if the Spurs win tonight…

tlongII
01-14-2009, 06:41 PM
:lol

SenorSpur
01-14-2009, 06:43 PM
I think it is great that the Spurs will be on Prime Time TV for the 1st time this year…Very few of us (outside of SA) even know who still plays for the Spurs…

Fakers usually lead the league in TV appearances. Bigger team. Bigger spotlight. Makes it harder to escape the questions and the glare when seeing your team get its ass "waxed" by 40 points and eventually quit by halftime, of the NBA Finals.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-14-2009, 07:11 PM
And even though the Lakers have been hit with the injury bug & will be playing with out key players, this is “The Big Game” for the Spurs…I will not be surprised if Coach Pops has a banner made if the Spurs win tonight…

Do they give you guys a banner for losing in the Finals?

Seeing as you guys have a lot of experience at that lately...at least in the last four years or so...I figured you might be able to answer that one for us.

DrHouse
01-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Once again, for the Spurs fans that can't do math since they clearly don't teach it in your schools.

14 > 4.

baseline bum
01-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Once again, for the Spurs fans that can't do math since they clearly don't teach it in your schools.

14 > 4.

Shit, Spurs better have a plan to contain Magic, Wilt, and Mikan in tonight's game!

SenorSpur
01-14-2009, 08:53 PM

14 > 4.

I've got a stat for you.

2-8 in the last 2 NBA Finals appearances, topped by that "ass-waxing" handed out by the Celtics.

Yorae
01-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Caron begot Kwame who begot Gasol. All's well that end's well.

Scola brought back what again?

The title.