PDA

View Full Version : before anybody says anything..

HarlemHeat37
01-14-2009, 11:41 PM
great game, we deserved the win, despite the meltdown..

it's just another win though..obviously it's bigger because it's the Lakers, but a W in January is meaningless..the Lakers were without 2 decent players, and they were playing on a back to back, which is important..

so just because we beat them now, it doesn't mean anything in the future..

this adds further evidence that we can COMPETE with the elite teams, but all of you should already know that..I've already analyzed our schedule vs. elite teams, and we just got screwed vs. Orlando..we can clearly COMPETE..

we still have ways to go though..

The_Worlds_finest
01-14-2009, 11:43 PM
ofcourse the spurs can compete...the guys looked damn good tonight...Hill looked like a damn vet out there against these guys.

HarlemHeat37
01-14-2009, 11:44 PM
I just made the "compete" comment, because some idiots had the balls to say we can't compete after the Orlando game..

jmanu20
01-14-2009, 11:45 PM
I do agree we can compete. Although I'm an objective fan.....back to backs are not a legitimate excuse for a loss as they are a part of the NBA life. Our "older than dirt" Spurs have managed wins on the end of back to backs this season. Also, the fact that they were without Farmar, Walton, and Vujacic doesn't mean anything either as they are not THAT integral to the Lakers' success....Kobe, Pau, and Bynum all were healthy and had solid games.

thekingrobert
01-14-2009, 11:46 PM
money mase is all i have to say

MeIII
01-14-2009, 11:47 PM
The Spurs got completely dominated in the paint.

This was a miracle win and nothing more. The Spurs weaknesses were obvious.

Bonner was hitting shots but damn he fucks up on defense every time down the court. He can't even step into the f'ing passing lane.

pawe
I dont care. The Spurs won, thats all that matters right now.

HarlemHeat37
I agree about Farmar and Vujacic..they aren't as important as Laker fans will make them out to be, but they're both better options than Yue..I don't think anything would have made a difference with the way both teams shot tonight though..

my point is simply to not forget that beating a team like this doesn't mean anything..as we've seen with the Cavs a few years ago..

we still have room to grow, and we'll need to grow to join the Lakers and Cavs..

DrHouse
01-14-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm sorry but what I saw tonight from the Spurs did not convince me that they can compete with LAL.

This should have been a cake walk for them. Lakers playing short handed without even a backup PG on the 2nd night of a b2b. Spurs shot the 57% from the field and won by 1 pt. They gave up 111 pts to the Lakers. They can't stop the Lakers on defense and they can't shoot this well for 7 games. They literally don't have anyone that can even hang with Kobe anymore, Bowen is a shell of the defender he once was. The playoffs are going to be a repeat of last season unless they get a better big alongside Duncan. Bonner and KT are too undersized.

bigdog
01-14-2009, 11:51 PM
I'm sorry but what I saw tonight from the Spurs did not convince me that they can compete with LAL.

This should have been a cake walk for them. Lakers playing short handed without even a backup PG on the 2nd night of a b2b. Spurs shot the 57% from the field and won by 1 pt. They gave up 111 pts to the Lakers. They can't stop the Lakers on defense and they can't shoot this well for 7 games. They literally don't have anyone that can even hang with Kobe anymore, Bowen is a shell of the defender he once was. The playoffs are going to be a repeat of last season unless they get a better big alongside Duncan. Bonner and KT are too undersized.

so they can't compete with LA, but they beat em?:lol

baseline bum
01-14-2009, 11:52 PM

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/atlarge/sour%20grapes2.jpg

TampaDude
01-14-2009, 11:53 PM
A win is a win...especially against the Fakers...

MaNuMaNiAc
01-14-2009, 11:54 PM

give me a break! Just like any other laker troll on this board, you're chalk full of excuses when you lose. You overestimate the extent of the impact your loses had on your team to excuse the fact that you got beat. Plus, last I checked LA shot lights out as well, so what the fuck is your point? oh, I forget, you're a lakers fan, you don't have a point.

DrHouse
01-14-2009, 11:58 PM
give me a break! Just like any other laker troll on this board, you're chalk full of excuses when you lose. You overestimate the extent of the impact your loses had on your team to excuse the fact that you got beat. Plus, last I chequed LA shot lights out as well, so what the fuck is your point? oh, I forget, you're a lakers fan, you don't have a point.

Tell me why I should care about this game or the Spurs?

Can the Spurs stop the Lakers offensively? No. Can they stop Kobe? No. If you can't do both of those things you aren't beating LAL in a 7 game series.

That's just reality.

Josepatches_
01-14-2009, 11:59 PM
But we play better than Lakers tonight.We could win easily.The Lakers are winning a lot of games in the last minute so they are really better than us.They were lucky to win most of them(or to have Kobe).I would say we are at least as good as the best team of the west if we aren't that team.
And Manu is fine after his surgery and obviously he is going to be better every day.
We don't want to be negative.

I would say some East teams are better than best west teams right now so maybe we aren't the best team of the NBA yet but we could be the best team of the west.And this is the first step to win the NBA

Purple & Gold
01-15-2009, 12:00 AM

Some astute analysis. Lakers have no problem with the spurs as long as they keep pairing Duncan with stiffs. spurs are just way too small in a 7 game series.

MaNuMaNiAc
01-15-2009, 12:05 AM
Tell me why I should care about this game or the Spurs?

Can the Spurs stop the Lakers offensively? No. Can they stop Kobe? No. If you can't do both of those things you aren't beating LAL in a 7 game series.

That's just reality.

Lakers haven't done anything lately to prove you can stop us offensively either last I checked. Oh that's right, you have the "Manu Stopper" :lmao Give me a fucking break.

Your original point was that the reason the Spurs won was because they shot 57% from the field and won by one point. What your sorry ass didn't check is the fact the Lakers shot 56.6% from the field and even 56% from threepoint land to the Spurs 50%... so what exactly is your point again?

You got beat, and you can't just shut the fuck up and take like a man.

Athenea
01-15-2009, 12:05 AM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/atlarge/sour%20grapes2.jpg

HAHAHHAHA :lol That's too mean!! :rollin

Cry Havoc
01-15-2009, 12:11 AM

My diagnosis is that you're a moron. And that you have a Spurs boot stuck in your anus.

DrHouse
01-15-2009, 12:15 AM
Right because a 112-111 victory is an ass kicking?

MaNuMaNiAc
01-15-2009, 12:18 AM

Its not, but you're the one claiming the game means nothing after having lost, and using faulty logic to try to explain your excuses.

This was a great game, with both teams shooting at an extremely high percentage. Luck was on our side this time, next time it might be different.

iggypop123
01-15-2009, 12:20 AM
spurs and lakers played their A offensive games and F defensively. the only difference was the lakers were missing important pieces and the second night of a back to back. in the playoffs rest is equal so thats not an issue. the health hopefully isnt an issue for lakers but in a 7 game series its i dont see the spurs going nuts from the 3 point line. they need a depleted lakers team to win a 7 games series

NRHector
01-15-2009, 12:22 AM

This should have been a cake walk for them. Lakers playing short handed without even a backup PG on the 2nd night of a b2b. Spurs shot the 57% from the field and won by 1 pt. They gave up 111 pts to the Lakers. They can't stop the Lakers on defense and they can't shoot this well for 7 games. They literally don't have anyone that can even hang with Kobe anymore, Bowen is a shell of the defender he once was. The playoffs are going to be a repeat of last season unless they get a better big alongside Duncan. Bonner and KT are too undersized.first who cares what a laker fans thinks of the spurs, second you had your main weapons tonight and third lakers can not take the spurs in 7 games

TampaDude

No, but it counts exactly the same as one. A win is a win and a loss is a loss.

TheMACHINE
I agree about Farmar and Vujacic..they aren't as important as Laker fans will make them out to be, but they're both better options than Yue..I don't think anything would have made a difference with the way both teams shot tonight though..

my point is simply to not forget that beating a team like this doesn't mean anything..as we've seen with the Cavs a few years ago..

we still have room to grow, and we'll need to grow to join the Lakers and Cavs..

Flawed logic. they might not be important compared to the big 3, but they will give the needed rest to the starters especially in a back to back game.

td4mvp21
01-15-2009, 12:24 AM
We can compete. You're an idiot if you don't think that. But as far as winning a 7 game series...we need another big and then we will have the pieces to beat L.A. in a 7 game series. At least I think that at this point.

DrHouse
01-15-2009, 12:30 AM
We can compete. You're an idiot if you don't think that. But as far as winning a 7 game series...we need another big and then we will have the pieces to beat L.A. in a 7 game series. At least I think that at this point.

I didn't say the Spurs can't compete.

I said if they played like they did tonight they won't have much of a chance. You're not going to beat LAL in a shoot-out. I shouldn't have to tell you this.

MaNuMaNiAc
01-15-2009, 12:32 AM
spurs and lakers played their A offensive games and F defensively. the only difference was the lakers were missing important pieces and the second night of a back to back. in the playoffs rest is equal so thats not an issue. the health hopefully isnt an issue for lakers but in a 7 game series its i dont see the spurs going nuts from the 3 point line. they need a depleted lakers team to win a 7 games series

yeah, just like you needed a Spurs team with one leg of the tripod hobbled to beat us last time, or do you actually believe Sasha is capable of stopping a healthy Manu?

Plus, its not like you were missing Bynum or Odom or Gasol. What exactly is your contention here? that Farmar and Vujacic would have made a world of a difference here? I mean you weren't exactly going to shoot any better from the perimeter... it doesn't get any better than 56% from downtown mate, and that is pretty much what kept your ass in the game. You might want to argue that Vujacic would have helped your D, but with the way the two teams were playing 0 defense, I really doubt Sasha would have had any impact.

To add insult to injury, you bring up the "it was the second game of a back to back" crap, when it clearly was not the reason you lost. How does a tired team run the court like the Lakers did today? How does a tired team shoot like the Lakers shot today? unless you believe a fresh team would have shot better than 56% from the field and %56 from downtown... which is a bit unreaslistic really.

iggypop123
01-15-2009, 12:34 AM
yeah, just like you needed a Spurs team with one leg of the tripod hobbled to beat us last time, or do you actually believe Sasha is capable of stopping a healthy Manu?

Plus, its not like you were missing Bynum or Odom or Gasol. What exactly is your contention here? that Farmar and Vujacic would have made a world of a difference here? I mean you weren't exactly going to shoot any better from the perimeter... it doesn't get any better than 56% from downtown mate, and that is pretty much what kept your ass in the game. You might want to argue that Vujacic would have helped your D, but with the way the two teams were playing 0 defense, I really doubt Sasha would have had any impact.

To add insult to injury, you bring up the "it was the second game of a back to back" crap, when it clearly was not the reason you lost. How does a tired team run the court like the Lakers did today? How does a tired team shoot like the Lakers shot today? unless you believe a fresh team would have shot better than 56% from the field and %56 from downtown... which is a bit unreaslistic really.

role players are a big deal. if you were missing mason and george hill and bonner it would be a big deal to you guys too. you bring up the ginobli argument. my answer to that is at least he played unlike bynum who was on injured reserve. ginobli could actually make it to the court .

MaNuMaNiAc
01-15-2009, 12:40 AM
role players are a big deal. if you were missing mason and george hill and bonner it would be a big deal to you guys too. you bring up the ginobli argument. my answer to that is at least he played unlike bynum who was on injured reserve. ginobli could actually make it to the court .

I'm not saying role players don't matter, I'm saying the players you had on the court today played as good as anything Vujacic could have provided. Just because he didn't play doesn't mean you missed something. After all, you can only have 5 players out on the court at once, and when those players, whoever they are, play like the Lakers played today (offensively that is) one or two missing role players aren't going to make the difference.

and with regards to the Manu argument. If you watched the Lakers vs. Spurs series last playoffs at all, you would have realized that at times, no manu would have been better than the half manu we got. Since when is a hobbled anything better than a healthy replacement? Granted, the Spurs didn't have anyone to replace Manu with last season... we do now.

daslicer
01-15-2009, 12:46 AM
The Lakers were missing two scrubs tonight its equivalent to spurs fans bitching after a loss that had Jacque Vaughn and Udoka played that the outcome would have been different. The reason the Lakers cameback in the game tonight was because the scrub Powell went on bs run where he was hitting J's all over the place. That guy is straight up garbage and I can say that because I watched him play at NC.State. Had he not caught fire the Lakers lose the game by double digits because nobody else was scoring at that period of time.

DrHouse
01-15-2009, 12:46 AM
Well if the Lakers had a healthy Bynum and Ariza it wouldn't have mattered anyways. They still would have beaten the Spurs with a healthy Manu. So your little woulda-coulda-shoulda game is kind of pointless if you ask me.

I'm not giving excuses for the Lakers losing tonight. I din't expect them to win, SAS is a good home team and I knew they'd play a good game. But the Spurs didn't convince me that anything would change in the playoffs. They played LAL's tempo and had to out-offense them to a victory. They couldn't stop the Lakers or Kobe. In a 7 game series I'm going to take the team that scores high percentage looks in the paint every time over the jump shooting perimeter oriented team.

DrHouse
01-15-2009, 12:47 AM
And good teams lose games on the road.

Cavs lost to the freaking Wizards who didn't have half their players. Shit happens. Does it mean the Wizards could beat the Cavs in the playoffs? Fuck no.

daslicer
01-15-2009, 12:48 AM
Well if the Lakers had a healthy Bynum and Ariza it wouldn't have mattered anyways. They still would have beaten the Spurs with a healthy Manu. So your little woulda-coulda-shoulda game is kind of pointless if you ask me.

I'm not giving excuses for the Lakers losing tonight. I din't expect them to win, SAS is a good home team and I knew they'd play a good game. But the Spurs didn't convince me that anything would change in the playoffs. They played LAL's tempo and had to out-offense them to a victory. They couldn't stop the Lakers or Kobe. In a 7 game series I'm going to take the team that scores high percentage looks in the paint every time over the jump shooting perimeter oriented team.

And the Lakers don't convince me that they still aren't soft as tissue paper. Your defense is mediocre at best even though you had a good 2-3 minute stretch were it was great but that can't be maintained for 48 minutes.

DrHouse
01-15-2009, 12:51 AM
The Lakers aren't soft, just lazy and complacent. They've proved against BOS they aren't soft and that they can play D for 48 minutes.

What you need to realize is the Spurs aren't the measuring stick. BOS was. The Cavs will be. Everyone else in the NBA is a notch below.

daslicer
01-15-2009, 12:54 AM
The Lakers aren't soft, just lazy and complacent. They've proved against BOS they aren't soft and that they can play D for 48 minutes.

What you need to realize is the Spurs aren't the measuring stick. BOS was. The Cavs will be. Everyone else in the NBA is a notch below.

They are soft as tissue paper they beat Boston in game where Boston didn't play desperate like the Lakers did to get the win. Also until they redeem themselves for that choke job they did in the finals they are still soft.

HarlemHeat37
01-15-2009, 12:55 AM
so you're basing your assumption of the Lakers on the Boston game? so just 1 game? against a team that was struggling heavily, just last week..against bad teams..

we'll see how they play against Cleveland..they're the team to beat so far..

IronMexican
01-15-2009, 12:56 AM
Oh well. You live ti fight another day.

MaNuMaNiAc
01-15-2009, 12:56 AM
And good teams lose games on the road.

Cavs lost to the freaking Wizards who didn't have half their players. Shit happens. Does it mean the Wizards could beat the Cavs in the playoffs? Fuck no.

where the fuck do you get off comparing the Spurs to the fucking Wizards?? :lol

Fine, believe what you will. We'll see when the POs come around. It is, after all, only January.

td4mvp21
01-15-2009, 12:57 AM
I didn't say the Spurs can't compete.

I said if they played like they did tonight they won't have much of a chance. You're not going to beat LAL in a shoot-out. I shouldn't have to tell you this.

I think we just did. But I may be wrong.

Ok, so it was one game :lol Actually if the Spurs shoot like this against the Lakers on a consistent basis I like their chances. The defense for either team won't always be this bad and you know it.

MaNuMaNiAc
01-15-2009, 12:58 AM

man... I will enjoy stuffing that over confidence of yours down your throat when we beat your ass in the Conference Finals.

DrHouse
01-15-2009, 12:59 AM
so you're basing your assumption of the Lakers on the Boston game? so just 1 game? against a team that was struggling heavily, just last week..against bad teams..

we'll see how they play against Cleveland..they're the team to beat so far..

When the Lakers faced BOS they had just rattled off 19 wins. They had sky-high confidence and were playing some incredible basketball. They brought the Celtics back down to earth by beating them in a grind it out, physical, low scoring game that they would have lost last season.

DrHouse
01-15-2009, 12:59 AM
man... I will enjoy stuffing that over confidence of yours down your throat when we beat your ass in the Conference Finals.

You have to make the Conference Finals 1st.

Jumpshooting teams never win rings.

IronMexican
01-15-2009, 01:05 AM
Eh, a lot of these people were probably saying "wait till you beat them in the playoffs" after LA's Christmas game, but are singing a different tune now. A great effort after a gut it out win yesterday.

methionine
01-15-2009, 01:07 AM

Whose to say the Lakers, or Kobe, can keep playing at this level the next time we meet in the playoffs? IIRC, Kobe played out of his mind in last years series. It can go either way in terms of who can keep up the hot play. It all depends on whose got the momentum and confidence. You can't tell me this doesn't put a chink in LAs WC superiority complex.

timvp
01-15-2009, 01:08 AM
This was a pretty big win simply for the fact that the Spurs historically go on a tailspin after regular season losses against the Lakers. I suspect that would have been even more the case than usual considering it would have been a collapse.

The loss in itself wouldn't have mattered much to me because there were a lot of positives to take away from this game either way ...... but for the team psyche, it was huge.

methionine
01-15-2009, 01:09 AM

Have you watched the Spurs during their 4 championships? You cannot say we are not a jumpshooting team. Outside of TD, it is all pretty much jumpshots.

TDMVPDPOY
01-15-2009, 01:12 AM
dunno man, spurs played the mercy rule to let the lakers back into the game when up by 8pts heading into the 4th... :(...

a win is a win, beating a team the spurs meant to beat.

HH, why you ban urself from realgm? :D

Purple & Gold
01-15-2009, 01:12 AM
spurs need a decent 5 so Duncan can play the 4 spot. Just a defensive big, other than Thomas (another 4), would be adequate enough. Surprised the spurs haven't addressed that yet. I guess there's still time till the trade deadline.

daslicer
01-15-2009, 01:13 AM

Well we all know you are a stupid fucker. :lol All of the spurs 4 title teams had an inside presence in Tim Duncan so I don't understand what do you mean by jumpshooting team. Parker has always been a top guard in getting into paint in this league. Your saying the spurs shot 57 percent and it was fluke well your team shot 56 percent and they still lost. Go fuck yourself you myopian cunt.

Baseline
01-15-2009, 01:16 AM
One thing is for sure...the Spurs will not let another team shoot 56% aganst them the rest of this season. That was the worst defense I've seen them play in ten years.

Yet we still beat the Lakers, because the Lakers are incapable of playing championship D.

The dose of reality for LA fans is that you know good and well the Spurs can play championship D.

MaNuMaNiAc
01-15-2009, 01:18 AM
how about we dial it down on the insults for a bit. Just enough so that our points get across, is all I'm saying.

MaNuMaNiAc
01-15-2009, 01:20 AM
spurs need a decent 5 so Duncan can play the 4 spot. Just a defensive big, other than Thomas (another 4), would be adequate enough. Surprised the spurs haven't addressed that yet. I guess there's still time till the trade deadline.

I don't think anybody here is going to argue that an additional defensive presence to provide Duncan with a little help wouldn't be a welcome addition. I'm saying even if we don't get one, we're still capable of beating LA on any given night.

DrHouse
01-15-2009, 01:22 AM
It's not a fluke that the Lakers score 111 points in a game. They average 107. The Spurs average 95 and scored 112 tonight. If anything it's the other way around.

I say you're a jumpshooting team because you are. Spurs scored 112 points tonight and only 34 were in the paint. Lakers scored 111 with 56 points in the paint. You may not realize it now but you will in the playoffs. Jumpshooting teams never win rings. Never.

timvp
01-15-2009, 01:23 AM
Jumpshooting teams never win rings. Never.Um, the Lakers lost to a jumpshooting team last year in the Finals. Who's the big bad post scorer on the Celtics? Pierce curbstomping Kobe doesn't count.

EricB
01-15-2009, 01:27 AM
Gauranteed hes gonna say KG is the post player.

mfanatic
01-15-2009, 01:29 AM
I agree with the original post, it was just a game, but we now know we can compete with everybody else. Now, everyone played well, but this is the time that i think we should try to get as close as we possibly can to them, having HC would he awsome.

Purple & Gold
01-15-2009, 01:29 AM
I don't think anybody here is going to argue that an additional defensive presence to provide Duncan with a little help wouldn't be a welcome addition. I'm saying even if we don't get one, we're still capable of beating LA on any given night.

I disagree. If the Lakers were able to outrebound the spurs in a 7 game series last year, I don't see how the spurs will be able to compete in another 7 gamer this year. Another big is much needed. Even more so then the Lakers needing a better PG.

DrHouse
01-15-2009, 01:30 AM
The Celtics did not rely on jumpshots and 3pters to beat the Lakers. That's for damn sure. They scored plenty of points in the paint. And they played elite defense.

The Spurs can't do either this season and that's why they will lose. There is no historical track record of a jumpshooting team that plays average defense winning a title.

phyzik
01-15-2009, 01:31 AM
I have to say this was a lucky win for the Spurs. I mean, seriously, we had the lakers on the second night of a back to back where they are missing some players, nothing major but if anything they could have provided rest. Fuck the Lakers up their high-and-mighty asses but lets not kid ourselves, we played against a depleted team. I would love to keep our shooting percentage up the way it is but I just dont see it happening. Spurs got a steal of a win tonight, anyone that says otherwise is a homer.

It was a great game, I just dont see the Spurs keeping that kind of intensity over 7 games with the current roster. Im not saying it CANT be done, Im just saying its a long shot. I REALLY hope Im wrong on that point. We CAN compete but I wouldnt exactly put money down on the Spurs winning the series in the playoffs with our current roster.

HarlemHeat37
01-15-2009, 01:35 AM
Dr.House is an idiot..

the Celtics were clearly a jump-shooting team..look at the stats that I posted in the thread I created an hour ago..Boston was 15th in the NBA in points in the paint last year..

we rank 6th defensively, LOL @ average..this is with Bowen getting limited minutes to rest for the playoffs, and he's our 2nd best defender..

HarlemHeat37
01-15-2009, 01:36 AM
Laker fans shit on Vujacic and Farmar all the time, but when they're missing them, in come the excuses..

keep believing that..

underdawg
01-15-2009, 01:49 AM
The Celtics did not rely on jumpshots and 3pters to beat the Lakers. That's for damn sure. They scored plenty of points in the paint. And they played elite defense.

The Spurs can't do either this season and that's why they will lose. There is no historical track record of a jumpshooting team that plays average defense winning a title.

where did the Spurs rank in defense for 2007? If you're saying they are a jumpshooting team now, how different were they in 2007? How's your theory that Mason doesn't improve the Spurs over Barry going?

HarlemHeat37
01-15-2009, 01:57 AM
underdawg- we're currently 6th defensively, despite the injuries..look at the rankings bro..we have the same style..the injuries have been the main factor here..as for defensively, Bowen resting for the playoffs hurts, but other than that, we should be back in form without an addition..

we were 3rd last year in points in the paint ALLOWED defensively..this year, we're 12th, but we've been rising for a while..last year we started Oberto next to Duncan, yet still managed to make it to 3rd..Thomas is a significantly better defender than Oberto..the difference is that Duncan gets better defensively as the season continues, just like he has every year for the past 5 years..there's no reason we shouldn't be the same as last year, which was great..

Dr.House is insecure..

DrHouse
01-15-2009, 04:39 AM
A lot of people are asking me why I'm not impressed with the Spur's victory.

It's because I know what it takes for a team to beat LAL in a 7 game series. You need to hold them to under 100pts, slow the tempo down, and grind out the game and make it as ugly as possible. Beat them up physically. Beat them on the boards.

The Spurs did none of those things. They simply out-offensed them tonight and that's why I'm not impressed. I know that won't work in the playoffs. Hell you know that won't work in the playoffs.

DrHouse
01-15-2009, 04:39 AM
I have to say this was a lucky win for the Spurs. I mean, seriously, we had the lakers on the second night of a back to back where they are missing some players, nothing major but if anything they could have provided rest. Fuck the Lakers up their high-and-mighty asses but lets not kid ourselves, we played against a depleted team. I would love to keep our shooting percentage up the way it is but I just dont see it happening. Spurs got a steal of a win tonight, anyone that says otherwise is a homer.

It was a great game, I just dont see the Spurs keeping that kind of intensity over 7 games with the current roster. Im not saying it CANT be done, Im just saying its a long shot. I REALLY hope Im wrong on that point. We CAN compete but I wouldnt exactly put money down on the Spurs winning the series in the playoffs with our current roster.

timvp
01-15-2009, 05:46 AM
A lot of people are asking me why I'm not impressed with the Spur's victory.

It's because I know what it takes for a team to beat LAL in a 7 game series. You need to hold them to under 100pts, slow the tempo down, and grind out the game and make it as ugly as possible. Beat them up physically. Beat them on the boards.

The Spurs did none of those things. They simply out-offensed them tonight and that's why I'm not impressed. I know that won't work in the playoffs. Hell you know that won't work in the playoffs.Fail.

Last season, the defense against the Lakers was actually good enough. The Lakers averaged the same amount of points against the Spurs as they did against the Celtics. The problem for the Spurs is they couldn't score and went on extended droughts.

And in '99 and '03, the Spurs got about half of their victories due to offensive explosions. You probably weren't a Laker fan back then but what did defense have to do in '03 in Game 2 or Game 6? Those were both offensive shows that saw the Spurs light up the scoreboard. There were a couple games like that in '99.

Defensively, I'm pretty confident that the Spurs will be able to hold their own against the Lakers in the playoffs if they are healthy. They have better defensive parts this year, especially against Kobe. Having an offense to go with it is the key.

SpursPreacher
01-15-2009, 05:49 AM
I think the spurs defense will be there come playoff time.Its always kown defense is the last thing you get fully down and I think this spurs can get it down in time for the bigger games.

LA24
01-15-2009, 05:52 AM
Yeah, Lakers have a what ? 5 game lead ? Hardly that much of a breathing room considering how tough the West is and the fact that it's still January.
Lots of basketball to be played. You can never count the spurs out. I'm already looking forward to the next Laker vs. Spurs game.

wildbill2u
01-15-2009, 10:43 AM

it's just another win though..obviously it's bigger because it's the Lakers, but a W in January is meaningless..the Lakers were without 2 decent players, and they were playing on a back to back, which is important..

this adds further evidence that we can COMPETE with the elite teams, but all of you should already know that..I've already analyzed our schedule vs. elite teams, and we just got screwed vs. Orlando..we can clearly COMPETE..

People forget that a win in January is a win at the end of the season and can give a team an important position in the playoffs. Even if the Lakers continue to have the best record in the West, come playoff time I'd rather the Spurs have the second best record with a home court advantage in their playoff bracket.

mrspurs
01-15-2009, 11:05 AM

Disagree. This was a very important game. Even if was in January. This isnt Jan of 2008.

pawe
01-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Every game is important at this point of the season since the margin for error is very little in the west. With that, the spurs needed this win to boost their confidence. Problem with the spurs right now is theire defensive rotations, we saw a lot of errors in double teaming the rotating to the open shooter. They'll polish it come March since RMJ and Hill have only been with the team for a couple of months now.

TheMadHatter
01-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Fail.

Last season, the defense against the Lakers was actually good enough. The Lakers averaged the same amount of points against the Spurs as they did against the Celtics. The problem for the Spurs is they couldn't score and went on extended droughts.

And in '99 and '03, the Spurs got about half of their victories due to offensive explosions. You probably weren't a Laker fan back then but what did defense have to do in '03 in Game 2 or Game 6? Those were both offensive shows that saw the Spurs light up the scoreboard. There were a couple games like that in '99.

Defensively, I'm pretty confident that the Spurs will be able to hold their own against the Lakers in the playoffs if they are healthy. They have better defensive parts this year, especially against Kobe. Having an offense to go with it is the key.

I agree, last season the Spurs defense WAS good enough. It was their offense that failed them.

This year they have the reverse problem. The offense is better but at the expense of their D which has regressed in nearly every category. The most glaring weakness is their weak frontcourt, and that will definitely hurt them in the playoffs if not addressed. The Lakers scored 56/111 pts in the paint. If you let a team consistently score 50% of their points in the paint you aren't going to win many games against them.

The fact of the matter is the Spurs do not have anyone to guard Kobe. That problem got worse this season, not better. Bowen is incapable of guarding Kobe the way he used to. I watched several sequences where Kobe just blew right by Bowen, I think age is starting to catch up with 37 year old Bruce Bowen. After Bowen the Spurs have nobody remarkable to throw at Kobe. They simply can't sngle cover him anymore.

The Spurs defense just ain't what it used to be. I can't remember the last time the Lakers dropped 111 on the Spurs. To be able to do that on the 2nd night of a b2b, on the road, and without 3 rotation players is remarkable and shows just how much the Spurs vaunted defense has slipped.