PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Mason's Shot Stuns Lakers

duncan228
01-15-2009, 12:44 AM
I'll update it if they do.

Mason's shot stuns Lakers (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Masons_shot_stuns_Lakers.html)
Jeff McDonald

Roger Mason Jr. strikes again.

Mason's 3-point play with 10.5 seconds to go lifted the Spurs to a stirring 112-111 victory over the Los Angeles Lakers on Wednesday night at the AT&T Center.

It was a wild and crazy rematch of last season's Western Conference finals, as thrilling at the start as it was at the finish.

Manu Ginobili, who was a shell of himself in the playoff series, was back to normal in the rematch. He matched a season high with 27 points, including 19 in the first half, to lead the Spurs (25-12).

Tony Parker and Tim Duncan each added 20 points, with Duncan also contributing 10 rebounds and eight assists.

Mason, who has now thrice hit game-winning baskets for the Spurs this season, finished with 18.

Kobe Bryant had 29 points and 10 assists to pace the Lakers, who were playing a night after winning at Houston and were without three key injured reserves (Sasha Vujacic, Jordan Farmar and Luke Walton).

The Lakers (31-7) took their first lead of the second half — 106-105 — on a Pau Gasol jumper with 2:10 to go. The Spurs pulled ahead on back-to-back baskets from Duncan with 28.9 seconds to go.

Bryant answered with a cold-blooded shot that was pure Bryant, burying a 3-pointer in Mason's mug with 12.9 seconds to go.

Mason, however, would have the last laugh. The Spurs were inbounding near midcourt, and Matt Bonner was having trouble finding an open receiver.

The official's count was at four before Bonner released the ball, to Mason in the near corner, with Derek Fisher draped all over him. Mason caught and fired in one motion, while Fisher bumped him in the back.

The basket tied the game at 111. The foul shot gave the Spurs the victory.

The Lakers had a final chance, but a double-teamed Bryant gave up the ball to Trevor Ariza, who traveled.

NFGIII
01-15-2009, 12:52 AM
The first thing that I thought when Mason hit the shot was that it was taken too early.

Kobe hits the 3 with 12.9 left on the clock.

Mason hits it with 10.5 left on the clock.

I thinking that is way too much time on the clock in the NBA and especially if you have a player like Kobe.

I was sweating that one out.

Luckily Fish fouled RMJ and he converted the FT.

What a fantastic game tonght!

:flag:

Solid D
01-15-2009, 12:55 AM
I was yellin' like Billy Mays trying to sell another steamer on TV.

pawe
01-15-2009, 01:09 AM
Bryant will think twice before doing the big ball dance again in SA.

MaNuMaNiAc
01-15-2009, 01:14 AM
I was yellin' like Billy Mays trying to sell another steamer on TV.

I woke up half my family :lol its 3 am over here

ulosturedge
01-15-2009, 01:17 AM
The first thing that I thought when Mason hit the shot was that it was taken too early.

Kobe hits the 3 with 12.9 left on the clock.

Mason hits it with 10.5 left on the clock.

I thinking that is way too much time on the clock in the NBA and especially if you have a player like Kobe.

I was sweating that one out.

Luckily Fish fouled RMJ and he converted the FT.

What a fantastic game tonght!

:flag:

We were down. If it was a tie then you'd hold for last shot. Regardless in Mason's case if he feels it you let him shoot whenever he wants lol. Mason has the greenlight all day.

duncan228
01-15-2009, 01:53 AM
Updated.

Mason's three-point play stuns Lakers (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Masons_shot_stuns_Lakers.html)
Jeff McDonald

Roger Mason Jr. was there in the Staples Center last June, and he saw it all.

The confetti. The streamers. The Lakers' celebration.

Still technically employed by the Washington Wizards at the time, Mason was just a basketball fan hanging out in Los Angeles, wanting to catch a game.

So he watched the Lakers oust the Spurs in Game 5 of the Western Conference finals from the cheap seats.

“It was just a fun game to watch,” Mason said. “I never dreamed I'd be in the midst of the rivalry like this.”

Yet there Mason was Wednesday night at the AT&T Center, in the silver and black of the Spurs, setting off a celebration of his own.

Mason's bucket-and-the-foul with 10.5 seconds left lifted the Spurs (25-12) to a 112-111 victory over the conference-leading Lakers (31-7), in a thrill-a-second rematch of last season's playoff meeting.

The Spurs, after leading for most of the second half, were down 111-109 after Kobe Bryant had drained a 3-pointer over Mason moments earlier.

After a harried inbounds play at midcourt, Mason took a thread-the-needle pass from Matt Bonner in the corner, then knocked down a jumper and drew a foul on Derek Fisher.

The ensuing free throw — and one more defensive stop, gained with a disputed traveling call on Trevor Ariza — gave the Spurs a victory to cherish, even as it came against a short-handed Lakers team playing on zero days rest.

It was Mason's third game-winning shot this season, joining the Christmas Day buzzer-beater to beat Phoenix and a late 3-pointer to beat the Clippers on Nov. 17.

“I've just been in the right place at the right time,” he said.

For a while, the Spurs appeared poised to be led by a player who might as well have watched the conference finals from the cheap seats, too.

Manu Ginobili was severely hobbled with an ankle injury the last time these two teams met. Wednesday officially marked his comeback performance.

He finished with a season-high 27 points, including 19 in the first half.

Ginobili got his first points of the game on a steal and a dunk from Bryant. Thirty seconds later, he zipped past Ariza to finish a layup over Pau Gasol.

This was the Manu missing from last season's playoff meeting.

“I was aggressive, I was feeling good,” Ginobili said. “It helped that I made the first couple of shots to get me going.”

Later, Ginobili closed the third quarter with a play that was pure Ginobili, taking a pass near midcourt after a Lakers basket, whipping the ball around his back to avoid a defender, and then launching a standard, garden-variety running 29-footer that swished through the net at the horn.

That gave the Spurs a 95-87 lead entering the final frame, as well as momentum they would eventually squander by falling behind by three entering the game's final 90 seconds.

The game ended, fittingly, with what Bryant would later call “typical Spurs-Lakers stuff.”

Tim Duncan, who had 20 points, 10 rebounds and eight assists, had given the Spurs a one-point lead on a jump hook with 28.9 seconds to go. Bryant followed with a 3-pointer, buried directly in Mason's mug, to put L.A. back on top with 12.6 seconds left.

Bryant ended with 29 points, and — had it not been for Mason's ho-hum heroics — would have ripped the Spurs' hearts out.

The game-winning play went haywire from the beginning. Ginobili was the first option, but he bumped into a teammate and eventually flared instead of cutting.

Bonner, attempting to inbound, couldn't find him. This was a problem.

“There really wasn't a Plan B,” Bonner said.

Meanwhile, time was ticking toward a five-second violation. Out of options, Bonner rifled a pass to Mason in the near corner, with Fisher draped all over him.

Mason caught the ball and let it go just inside the 3-point line, pausing long enough for Fisher to bump him.

The last time the Lakers were in the building, they walked away a Game 4 winner after Fisher wasn't called for a foul on Brent Barry. This time, the Spurs got the whistle they wanted last June.

Mason's shot went through the net for the tie. He made the free throw for the go-ahead point.

No confetti. No streamers. But, soon, the celebration was on.

There in the middle of it, on the court instead of in the stands, was Mason.

“I could never imagined something like this,” Mason said. “But it's the type of thing you hope for.”

Cane
01-15-2009, 02:04 AM
I got a chance to go to this game, the stadium was sold-out and got playoff level loud during the last minutes of the 4th.

It was the first time I got to see the Lakers play in person and it was an awesome opportunity to fully appreciate the likes of Kobe Bryant as an opponent - that guy is cold blooded.

Also surprised to see the amount of Lakers fans in a sold out regular season SA game --- they actually competed pretty well in terms of cheering; and at particular stretches seemed to takeover!

Its great to see Ginobili taking over again but clearly his teammates aren't used to it yet -- Duncan and Bonner weren't even expecting Manu's quick passes.

I hope Mason will be clutch in the playoffs! Anyone know what his playoff stats are like?

Manufan909
01-15-2009, 02:09 AM
I got a chance to go to this game, the stadium was sold-out and got playoff level loud during the last minutes of the 4th.

It was the first time I got to see the Lakers play in person and it was an awesome opportunity to fully appreciate the likes of Kobe Bryant as an opponent - that guy is cold blooded.

Also surprised to see the amount of Lakers fans in a sold out regular season SA game --- they actually competed pretty well in terms of cheering; and at particular stretches seemed to takeover!

Its great to see Ginobili taking over again but clearly his teammates aren't used to it yet -- Duncan and Bonner weren't even expecting Manu's quick passes.

I hope Mason will be clutch in the playoffs! Anyone know what his playoff stats are like?

I'm pretty sure he was solid last year against Cleveland, but one round isn't too great a sample size.

Cry Havoc
01-15-2009, 02:13 AM
Decent stuff by JM.

EricB
01-15-2009, 02:18 AM
I'm pretty sure he was solid last year against Cleveland, but one round isn't too great a sample size.

IIRC his numbers were pretty poor.

Manufan909
01-15-2009, 02:45 AM
IIRC his numbers were pretty poor.

Really? Idk, I didn't follow that series. I just heard somewhere he did alright. Seems like with Tony, Manu, and Timmy, he'll did much year in this years POs.

EricB
01-15-2009, 02:49 AM
LOL, thats the first time I saw him do that one. He wanted this win.

Thats a sign of classlessness.

Make the shot, go back to your damn huddle.

And Laker fans wonder why other teams fans hate Bryant.

I've never hated him because of his talented, I've hated him because hes a complete douchebag asshole.

LA24
01-15-2009, 02:58 AM

I've never hated him because of his talented, I've hated him because hes a complete douchebag asshole.

So Kobe celebrated a bit, big deal, it's an emotional game. But if that's a sign of classlessness, then your whole team is classless. Acting like they won the game when Mason made the and-1 with around 10 seconds left in the game with Bonner jumping in circles like a kid. Make the shot, go back to your damn huddle, right ?

lurker23
01-15-2009, 03:04 AM
Can't really give you any narratives, but here are the raw numbers.

Mason:

06-07:
Regular season: 7.9 mpg, 2.7 ppg, 33.0% FG, 32.4% 3PT
Playoffs (4 games): 14.0 mpg, 6.0 ppg, 43.8% FG (7/16), 50% 3PT (5/10)

07-08:
Regular season: 21.4 mpg, 9.1 ppg, 44.3% FG, 39.8% 3PT
Playoffs (6 games): 21.5 mpg, 8.0 ppg, 40.4% FG (19/47), 23.5% 3PT (4/17)

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/roger_mason/career_stats.html

EricB
01-15-2009, 03:04 AM
So Kobe celebrated a bit, big deal, it's an emotional game. But if that's a sign of classlessness, then your whole team is classless. Acting like they won the game when Mason made the and-1 with around 10 seconds left in the game with Bonner jumping in circles like a kid. Make the shot, go back to your damn huddle, right ?

He jumped in a circle, he did grab at his nuts like a 15 year old punk like Bryant did to the crowd.

learn the difference sir.

timvp
01-15-2009, 03:06 AM
LOL, thats the first time I saw him do that one.He stole it from Sam Cassell.

Yorae
01-15-2009, 03:07 AM
He stole it from Sam Cassell.

Yeah he did it a lot with paul pierce....

baseline bum
01-15-2009, 03:08 AM
When I opened it I thought the article was titled "Mason's Shot Suns Lakers"

Kobe™
01-15-2009, 03:08 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/30kzq0p.jpg

timvp
01-15-2009, 03:09 AM
Yeah, that's a foul. You can't put your junk on players when they're shooting.

timvp
01-15-2009, 03:10 AM
He stole it from Sam Cassell.

http://slamonline.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/20060515t122137z_01_nootr_rtrjonp_2_chinat1877561p ic0.jpg

lurker23
01-15-2009, 03:10 AM

Nice pictures. Does Mason extend his legs to exaggerate the contact? Yes. However, Fisher's chest is already making contact with Mason in his natural shooting posture.

LA24
01-15-2009, 03:11 AM
He jumped in a circle, he did grab at his nuts like a 15 year old punk like Bryant did to the crowd.

learn the difference sir.

Then I guarantee you that's not Kobe being a punk to the crowd, it's the other way around. When Kobe mocks the crowd, it's almost ALWAYS because he was being heckled by the fans during the game. It's his way of getting back.
But I still think it was just innocent celebration.

EricB
01-15-2009, 03:13 AM
Then I guarantee you that's not Kobe being a punk to the crowd, it's the other way around. When Kobe mocks the crowd, it's almost ALWAYS because he was being heckled by the fans during the game.

Awww, he was getting heckled.

Then be the bigger man and let your game do the talking. Not your goddamn hands and stupid actions.

BTW, Mason moved his legs AFTER he was bumped.

Afraid to break it to ESPN, but there is no "end of game controversy"

LA24
01-15-2009, 03:17 AM

Then be the bigger man and let your game do the talking. Not your goddamn hands and stupid actions.

Your so full of shit. What's wrong with a bit of shit talking. Lots of great players do that.

Don't be such a pussy. That a lil dance by Kobe was hilarious. Now STFU and enjoy the damn win.

DAF86
01-15-2009, 03:28 AM
Then I guarantee you that's not Kobe being a punk to the crowd, it's the other way around. When Kobe mocks the crowd, it's almost ALWAYS because he was being heckled by the fans during the game. It's his way of getting back.
But I still think it was just innocent celebration.

I'm sure he's heckled by fans but so does everyother player in the league. Manu in Phoenix or Denver gets the same treatment but you don't see him reacting to the crowd.

EricB
01-15-2009, 03:29 AM
Your so full of shit. What's wrong with a bit of shit talking. Lots of great players do that.

Don't be such a pussy. That a lil dance by Kobe was hilarious. Now STFU and enjoy the damn win.

Duncan doesn't and never has.

I've never seen Grant Hill or Dwayne Wade do it.

I don't recall Lebron James doing anything like that either.

It was not hilarious, it was classless and something as a paying customer of the NBA, I find disgusting and unwanted.

Typical though a Laker fan would be a fan of such a childish display.

EricB
01-15-2009, 03:30 AM
I'm sure he's heckled by fans but so does everyother player in the league. Manu in Phoenix or Denver gets the same treatment but you don't see him reacting to the crowd.

You mean you've never seen Manu give the "shhh" or the big balls to Denver?

I mean, come on!!! :lol

I made the mistake of arguing with a typical bandwagon homer Laker fan.

Shastafarian
01-15-2009, 03:36 AM
So Eric, what did you think of Mason doing nearly the same thing after he hit his shot?

duncan228
01-15-2009, 03:37 AM
Mason was imitating Kobe.

Shastafarian
01-15-2009, 03:40 AM
Mason was imitating Kobe.

Yeah and according to Eric that's classless. Mason should've been the bigger man.

LA24
01-15-2009, 03:42 AM
Duncan doesn't and never has.

I've never seen Grant Hill or Dwayne Wade do it.

I don't recall Lebron James doing anything like that either.

It was not hilarious, it was classless and something as a paying customer of the NBA, I find disgusting and unwanted.

Typical though a Laker fan would be a fan of such a childish display.

MJ, Pippen, Reggie, KG, etc. So what ? And Kobe's rarely initiates the trash talking.

Don't be so sensitive. It's really not a big deal. It barely lasted a second or two. It was hardly even G rated. Disgusting ? Hahahah. You've got to be kidding me. What are you, an 8 year old prude ?

LA24
01-15-2009, 03:46 AM
Yeah and according to Eric that's classless. Mason should've been the bigger man.

According to his own definition, the whole Spurs team is classless for celebrating a 1 point lead with 10 seconds left (if Kobe is classless for doing it with 12).

Shastafarian
01-15-2009, 03:48 AM
According to his own definition, the whole Spurs team is classless for celebrating a 1 point lead with 10 seconds left (if Kobe is classless for doing it with 12).

It's ok. He's been a Spurs fan since 1987. Nothing the Spurs do is ever wrong. We're lucky he lets us post here.

EricB
01-15-2009, 03:52 AM
So Eric, what did you think of Mason doing nearly the same thing after he hit his shot?

I thought it was equally classless.

Mason should've just done his side slap and point to the sky.

EricB
01-15-2009, 03:53 AM
wahhhhh.

Shastafarian
I thought it was equally classless.

Mason should've just done his side slap and point to the sky.

You thought it was equally classless yet you have it as your signature?

hahaha making up quotes? What a child.

EricB
MJ, Pippen, Reggie, KG, etc. So what ? And Kobe's rarely initiates the trash talking.

Don't be so sensitive. It's really not a big deal. It barely lasted a second or two. It was hardly even G rated. Disgusting ? Hahahah. You've got to be kidding me. What are you, an 8 year old prude ?

Yes, grabbing at your nuts is completely G rated.

EricB
01-15-2009, 03:54 AM
You thought it was equally classless yet you have it as your signature?

Do you have a problem? Follow your own advice and put me on ignore if it reallllly bothers you that much.

EricB
01-15-2009, 03:55 AM

I didn't say celebrating the shot was classless. It was HOW he celebrated it.

Get it right.

EricB

Agreed. He should've been.

LA24
Yes, grabbing at your nuts is completely G rated.

He's not grabbing his nuts. That's just what your own dirty mind is seeing and telling you.

Didn't you say Mason slaps his own ass ? Explain that. No wait, just stfu and go to bed already.

EricB
01-15-2009, 03:56 AM
He's not grabbing his nuts. That's just what your own dirty mind is seeing.

Oh pardon me.

hes just saying hi.

Get a fucking clue.

LA24
01-15-2009, 03:58 AM
Oh pardon me.

hes just saying hi.

Get a fucking clue.

You get a fucking clue. You have hypocrisy and double standard written all over you.

Shastafarian
01-15-2009, 03:58 AM
Do you have a problem? Follow your own advice and put me on ignore if it reallllly bothers you that much.

It doesn't. I'm entertained.

EricB
01-15-2009, 04:01 AM
You get a fucking clue. You have hypocrisy and double standard written all over you.

How so? I said that Mason shouldn't have done it.

No hypocrisy at all bandwagon Laker fan.

EricB
01-15-2009, 04:01 AM
It doesn't. I'm entertained.

Get a life.

Shastafarian
01-15-2009, 04:02 AM
Get a life.

I can't sleep. Then again all this laughing isn't gonna help me get to sleep. Maybe I should put you on ignore, if just for tonight.

EricB
01-15-2009, 04:03 AM
I can't sleep. Then again all this laughing isn't gonna help me get to sleep. Maybe I should put you on ignore, if just for tonight.

Go ahead and put the damn website on ignore.

LA24
01-15-2009, 04:06 AM

I think Mason though can back up his smack talk unlike others.

Mason sure can back up that smack talk...with hands slapping his own ass and all.

EricB
01-15-2009, 04:08 AM
Mason sure can back up that smack talk...with hands slapping his own ass and all.

Yeah thats equal to grabbing at your nuts too.

Go ahead and try and justify it bandwagoner.

LA24
01-15-2009, 04:14 AM
Yeah thats equal to grabbing at your nuts too.

Go ahead and try and justify it bandwagoner.

He wasn't grabbing at his nuts. But if your eyes keeps telling you that, perhpas it's time to drop the gay porn for a few days...and scrub your mind with soap.

Michael Jackson...now that's some nut grabbin' there.

Flux451
01-15-2009, 04:17 AM
why don't you guys exchange phone numbers and talk it out. Lakers lost, Mason was excited and showed his emotions. He did a better then expected job on Kobe. Go to bed, enjoy the win in your dreams. Hope you taped the game cuz its one to relive.

EricB
01-15-2009, 04:18 AM
why don't you guys exchange phone numbers and talk it out. Lakers lost, Mason was excited and showed his emotions. He did a better then expected job on Kobe. Go to bed, enjoy the win in your dreams. Hope you taped the game cuz its one to relive.

Don';t like it?

Scroll.

angelbelow
01-15-2009, 05:17 AM
He wasn't grabbing at his nuts. But if your eyes keeps telling you that, perhpas it's time to drop the gay porn for a few days...and scrub your mind with soap.

Michael Jackson...now that's some nut grabbin' there.

i dont get it, in almost all your posts you tell the poster youre addressing to calm down and enjoy the win. then you turn around and attack him before you end your post. you tell him not to be a child then in the same message you call him a derogatory name.. what do you expect?

LA24
01-15-2009, 05:49 AM
i dont get it, in almost all your posts you tell the poster youre addressing to calm down and enjoy the win. then you turn around and attack him before you end your post. you tell him not to be a child then in the same message you call him a derogatory name.. what do you expect?

It's nothing really. Just 2 passionate fans going at it. That's all.

Drachen
01-15-2009, 09:52 AM

I was there in section 202, like 50-60 % of the section was lakers fans, and when Kobe hit that shot, the cheer that erupted from the entire stadium made me think "damn, half of this entire crowd is lakers fans." - It was damn loud. Then, Mason hit that shot and the sound that arose from the crowd was deafening. I quickly re-evaluated my calculation for the crowd. Based on the sounds the crowd was maybe 1/25th lakers fans. Great game, and the way the inbounds pass happened to the person that wasn't supposed to touch the ball on the play, the way D-fish cheated trying to steal the ball and sailed past Mason, the way Mason recovered while catching the ball, turning and shooting, and it going in made me thing "shades of the Memorial Day Miracle."

hater
01-15-2009, 10:29 AM

Dude relax. Horry used to do the nut check all the time.

Wow, Duncan almost had a triple double.

wildbill2u
01-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Kobe may be the best player in the world--therefore he should try to be a role model for the kids while he is on the court. Or in a court.

That "biggest balls" move is classless and tells kids that they can emulate Kobe by being classless too.

mrspurs
01-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Great win.

Spurs Brazil
01-15-2009, 02:20 PM
I woke up half my family :lol its 3 am over here

Same here. I went crazy after Mason shot and when the game ended and they showed Kobe and Jackson I was telling them to :flipoff:stfu

That was a great game, I slept until 5AM and then went to work and now I'm tired here at home

my2sons
01-15-2009, 02:36 PM

Maybe he was:wow

to21
01-15-2009, 02:39 PM
I don't have a problem with what Kobe did, just do it when you make that shot at the buzzer. Else, you look like a dumbass when ur opponent nails a bigger shot to finish the game.