PDA

View Full Version : why are the Spurs considered boring?..

HarlemHeat37
01-15-2009, 12:44 AM
it baffles me..

we're EASILY in the top 3 teams that have the most exciting games of the year..the Lakers are the only team I can think of that probably has more exciting games(not for me, but in general)..

just this year..Minnesota double-OT, Dallas double-OT, Mason GW 3 vs. Phoenix, TP buzzer beater vs. Philly, Orlando screwjob, Laker game..I'm probably forgetting some too..

that's just this year..we've been apart of great, exciting games this entire decade, but we're still considered boring..

it doesn't bother me, since I could give a fuck about the media..but I'm just curious as to why, it just doesn't make sense to me..

Yorae
01-15-2009, 12:45 AM
Because they're in San Antonio?

hater
01-15-2009, 12:46 AM
well this is the big test IMO. IF Spurs can win a championship without being boring. I mean, it's too easy for them to win it being boring. SO now they take it upon themselves to win it and being fun at the same times. Props

Winehole23
01-15-2009, 12:47 AM
The games everyone sees are in the playoffs. Remember the clincher in 2007?

MeIII
01-15-2009, 12:53 AM
boRING.

HarlemHeat37
01-15-2009, 12:53 AM
I don't understand that smart-ass reply..I could give a fuck about the Spurs being boring, otherwise, I wouldn't be a Spurs fan..I'm just wondering why we're considered a boring team, when we have more exciting games than the majority of teams in the NBA..

NFGIII
01-15-2009, 01:01 AM
Because of what people perceived the Spurs to be in the earlier days when they just pounded the opposition with the twin towers. Also back then the game was slower and lower scoring but with all the rules changes it has opened up considerably. Most people that call the Spurs boring either don't know the game, haven't watched them since they acquired TP and Manu or just remember the '99 team.

First impressions and all................

SenorSpur
01-15-2009, 01:04 AM
it baffles me..

we're EASILY in the top 3 teams that have the most exciting games of the year..the Lakers are the only team I can think of that probably has more exciting games(not for me, but in general)..

just this year..Minnesota double-OT, Dallas double-OT, Mason GW 3 vs. Phoenix, TP buzzer beater vs. Philly, Orlando screwjob, Laker game..I'm probably forgetting some too..

that's just this year..we've been apart of great, exciting games this entire decade, but we're still considered boring..

it doesn't bother me, since I could give a fuck about the media..but I'm just curious as to why, it just doesn't make sense to me..

Historically, the Spurs have played a style of basketball that is not as aesthetically pleasing to watch as some of the NBA glamour teams. Some of the lowest-rated NBA Finals of the past several years have been ones the Spurs were involved in. Combine that with the fact that there are no compelling stories coming out of S.A. and the team is so very professional and business-like and you get the perception of BORING.

I believe there is respect there with the average fan, but labels can be hard to shake. I guarantee that no one, outside of the S.A. and Washington D.C., had even heard of Roger Mason or the fact that he signed with the Spurs over the offseason. At least, not until Xmas Day anyway. The rest of the world found out tonight.

You're right. The Spurs have been involved in several very exciting games this year. Trust me. If the average fan doesn't notice, the networks do.

pawe
01-15-2009, 01:07 AM
Because of the way Matt Bonner runs.

baseline bum
01-15-2009, 01:14 AM
I never understood when Utah was called boring in the 90s, but that label sticks forever once a team gets it.

SenorSpur
01-15-2009, 01:17 AM
Because of the way Matt Bonner runs.

He runs like a New England Matty.