PDA

View Full Version : what's the difference?..

HarlemHeat37
01-15-2009, 02:18 AM
so what do you guys think is the difference this year, in regards to our interior D?..that seems like the biggest complaint here..

last year, we were ranked 3rd in the NBA in points allowed in the paint..this year, we're 12th(although we've been rising since our guys returned, and since Thomas got into form)..

Oberto was a starter last year, and he's definitely worse defensively than Kurt..

so what's the difference? IIRC..last season, Duncan wasn't playing great D until about February..we had complaints about our D for a while, until it rounded into form at the end of the year..

Duncan is obviously the anchor..is he the main difference? are we waiting for his usual progress throughout the year? does he not have it in him anymore? is the fact that Bowen is getting less minutes the problem? is it effort from the entire team?..

surely it can't be because we're missing somebody, since we ranked 3rd last season..

so what do you guys think is the difference?..

DAF86
01-15-2009, 02:31 AM
so what do you guys think is the difference this year, in regards to our interior D?..that seems like the biggest complaint here..

last year, we were ranked 3rd in the NBA in points allowed in the paint..this year, we're 12th(although we've been rising since our guys returned, and since Thomas got into form)..

Oberto was a starter last year, and he's definitely worse defensively than Kurt..

so what's the difference? IIRC..last season, Duncan wasn't playing great D until about February..we had complaints about our D for a while, until it rounded into form at the end of the year..

Duncan is obviously the anchor..is he the main difference? are we waiting for his usual progress throughout the year? does he not have it in him anymore? is the fact that Bowen is getting less minutes the problem? is it effort from the entire team?..

surely it can't be because we're missing somebody, since we ranked 3rd last season..

The difference is Pop going for a more offensive line-up (Bonner instead of Oberto/Thomas, Mason/Finley instead of Bowen)

timvp
01-15-2009, 02:31 AM
Good questions. I think it's combination of the following:

1) Duncan isn't at his peak level yet. He's in the early regular season mode. Once he ups his defensive intensity, the Spurs can turn it around quickly.

2) Lack of Bowen. Lowering Bowen's minutes is going to have a negative effect on the defense. One thing Bowen does that gets unnoticed is not only does he cut down on his man's scoring, he also cuts down on their assists. Without Bowen on the court, we see a lot more penetration and pass to a big for a dunk or an easy shot in the lane.

3) Bonner. Oberto isn't much bigger but he's a much better defender on the low block. Bonner sometimes lets himself get pinned under the basket ... and you never see that from Oberto. Oberto either regains position or fouls doing so. Bonner has helped the perimeter defense somewhat and I expect him to get better down low -- particularly when he and Duncan get better chemistry on their rotations.

4) Transition defense isn't where it needs to be yet. Even on delayed breaks the sea sometimes parts when the players are struggling to figure out who to matchup with

5) Pick and roll help defense. That weakside defender who is supposed to rotate to the flashing big has been really late this season on the whole. That has allowed a lot more easy looks for the big off of pick and rolls.

The good thing is all the problems should be correctable. One day Duncan won't have that gear and Bowen will lose his defensive ability. Thankfully I don't think this is the season in which that will happen.

EricB
01-15-2009, 02:36 AM
3) Bonner. Oberto isn't much bigger but he's a much better defender on the low block. Bonner sometimes lets himself get pinned under the basket ... and you never see that from Oberto. Oberto either regains position or fouls doing so. Bonner has helped the perimeter defense somewhat and I expect him to get better down low -- particularly when he and Duncan get better chemistry on their rotations.

Agreed. I think tonight at times his D on Bynum was decent but could be better. He didn't seemed to get bullied around by him like I thought.

That being said, if its close, I think I'd prefer KT in there to guard Bynum as KT can guard him better on the block.

TDMVPDPOY
01-15-2009, 02:40 AM
the patience with bonner 2yr plan....is starting to pay off...

Spurs Brazil
01-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Pick and roll help defense. That weakside defender who is supposed to rotate to the flashing big has been really late this season on the whole. That has allowed a lot more easy looks for the big off of pick and rolls.

I think this is hurting us more. Teams are killing us on PrR but as you said every season is the same so I expect to see good Spurs D after the All Star break

mrspurs
01-15-2009, 03:43 PM
The biggest difference between this teams defense and last years defense is this. We are hitting more 3s during the games then last season. We're not winning games by keeping opponents from scoring. We are winning games by outscoring them. Even if its the last shot of the game. I will say this, by beating the lakers, they have proved that the Spurs can win with this roster.

de Soto
01-15-2009, 03:45 PM

A new game plan. Last year's plan didn't get it done. Pop is smart.