PDA

View Full Version : Austin Croshere to Spurs?

PeterBurns
01-15-2009, 08:06 AM
15th Spot?

Kori Ellis
01-15-2009, 08:10 AM
Definitely possible if they just want another big body on the bench. There's probably some young guys that they should look at before him.

PeterBurns
01-15-2009, 08:13 AM
hmmmm

timvp
01-15-2009, 08:14 AM
Meh, wouldn't be a horrible signing. It's about as good of Matt Bonner insurance as you can find on the street. His per minute stats this season with the Bucks were actually pretty good.

That said, I'd hope for the Spurs to try out a younger big before settling for a veteran with no upside. Especially since he's a big who would be insurance rather than someone who can fill a void.

Kori Ellis
01-15-2009, 08:15 AM
hmmmm

Yeah, I saw it on SpursReport too. There's probably a few teams looking at him for insurance.

galvatron3000
01-15-2009, 08:18 AM
We definately don't need Matt Bonner insurance. We need support and frontline production with nice help defense(positioning) and size. That's what I hope we can get and find if not just roll with the current group and let the season play out.

PeterBurns
01-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Just a Rumor of course.......
Nothing to see here.

Just thinking outloud... ;)

romain.star
01-15-2009, 08:36 AM
Not so many bigs out there... Who are potentially (and realisticly) the best signings for the spurs??

EricB
01-15-2009, 08:40 AM
The only thing that would be good about it, is Croshere with the Pacers played well in the clutch, and hes a decent rebounder. Other than that, younger bigs or an Alonzo Mourning type should be considered first.

timvp
01-15-2009, 08:43 AM
If we want someone to help this season, we're probably going to end up signing Croshere.

Nice call by, ChumpDumper.

Potentially.

Dryer baby
01-15-2009, 08:45 AM
Yeah, I saw it on SpursReport .

According to that website we should already have Carl Malone and Kobe Bryant.

timvp
01-15-2009, 08:45 AM
Bonner insurance makes some sense. Bonner isn't exactly the type of player you can count on not shriveling up come playoff time. Plus with his rebounding in a free fall, there might come a time where Pop isn't comfortable playing a center who rebounds like a shooting guard.

It be a boring signing but it'd point to the Spurs hedging their bets on Bonner.

EricB
01-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Bonner insurance makes some sense. Bonner isn't exactly the type of player you can count on not shriveling up come playoff time. Plus with his rebounding in a free fall, there might come a time where Pop isn't comfortable playing a center who rebounds like a shooting guard.

It be a boring signing but it'd point to the Spurs hedging their bets on Bonner.

They need a "presence" big in there, not another shooting 4.

I Love Me Some Me
01-15-2009, 08:48 AM
I liked this guy in his hayday in Indiana, but he hasn't seemed to have much left.

He was a waste of space in Dallas, and hasn't been able to get on the floor in MIL, but I guess it's a low-risk addition, and it's not like he'll be stealing minutes from some more-talented player we might have in front of him.

timvp
01-15-2009, 08:51 AM
They need a "presence" big in there, not another shooting 4.Mahinmi is the "presence" big. At least in theory. I'm guessing the Spurs will wait to see what they have there before going out and getting a duplicate from the D-League.

Since we haven't heard anything after Mahinmi had his second opinion, I'll assume that's good news. If his injury isn't bad enough to require surgery, you gotta think his ankle sprain will be healed by March. That'd be about eight months . . .

mouse
01-15-2009, 08:51 AM
Peter put down the red bull already, the day the spurs get Austin Croshere, will be the day Tiger ask Andy Everett to caddy for him.

EricB
01-15-2009, 08:53 AM
Mahinmi is the "presence" big. At least in theory. I'm guessing the Spurs will wait to see what they have there before going out and getting a duplicate from the D-League.

Since we haven't heard anything after Mahinmi had his second opinion, I'll assume that's good news. If his injury isn't bad enough to require surgery, you gotta think his ankle sprain will be healed by March. That'd be about eight months . . .

While I'd love for Mahinmi to be that, there is no way Pop plays Mahinmi in the playoffs, and no way he gets significant enough minutes coming back this year that he makes any kind of dent. We shall see. I'd have to sit down this afternoon and look at the "shooting 4's" and see who I find IMO that I think is the best, but there has got to be a better shooting or better one period than Austin Croshere.

EricB
01-15-2009, 08:54 AM
Also, if you bring in an Austin Croshere, whats that do to Matt Bonner? Does it pump him up again ala signing Anthony Tolliver? Or does he say "WTF do I have to do to earn some confidence?"

timvp
01-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Honestly, I'd probably go with Horry before Croshere. At least Horry can offer leadership -- even if he's in a suit.

If Croshere is signed, hopefully it's a 10-day contract to measure whether he has any gas left in the tank.

EricB
01-15-2009, 08:57 AM
Honestly, I'd probably go with Horry before Croshere. At least Horry can offer leadership -- even if he's in a suit.

If Croshere is signed, hopefully it's a 10-day contract to measure whether he has any gas left in the tank.

Agreed. Horry being at the game is interesting. Although he was in LA a day or so ago, so maybe hes just coattailing the Lakers wanting a coaching job. I'd definately give Horry a workout in the PF and see how spry he looks. He definately showed he still has "it" in game 7 against New Orleans last year.

PeterBurns
01-15-2009, 09:07 AM

Croshere for 10 day...if we works out...good. if not then horry for final run

EricB
01-15-2009, 09:09 AM
I'd have to give Zo's phone a ring and see if he wouldn't mind shifting over from his south beach place and see if he had anything left. He is definately a low post presence that would be perfect.

Although if the Spurs are bringing in Croshere, maybe that means they have a SLIGHT bit of hope for Mahinmi. Maybe not.

mountainballer
01-15-2009, 09:29 AM
there is one scenario when a Croshere signing would make a lot of sense: Spurs need to make a trade at deadline and it might be tough for them to somehow get the necessary salary into the package. the 3 million from Matt might be needed. so, if Croshere becomes a low cost replacement of Matt, I'm totally fine with it.
he is pretty much the same player, a bit older and now his decent athleticism is gone, but he has always been a smarter player than Matt is.

ElNono
01-15-2009, 09:31 AM
I don't think Croshere is the kind of big we need. Does he play any defense at all?

urunobili
01-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Horry back (and specially after the win he witnessed yesterday) >>>>>>> Croshere

PeterBurns
01-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Again...I think Austin gets a quick look.
If not, then I see Horry back.

Prob a 10 day contract...no harm no foul.
Trying to find more

Alex Jones
01-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Austin Croshere will be a Spur when Chris Duel has Peter Burns on his show.

EricB
01-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Hmmmmm... :lol

Indazone
01-15-2009, 10:32 AM
I have always liked Croshere since he played for the Pacers and Larry Bird was there. Anyways, he's got a nice three pt shot. He's a hustle player and throws his body around. Better than Bonner sorry

2centsworth
01-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Peter Burns + Chump + Spursreport = Aint happening.

Re-Animator
01-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Peter Burns =
http://www.courttv.com/graphics/photos/topnews/mscleo/cleo_topnews_011602.jpg

Chump =
http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/apg_big_foot_070627_ms.jpg

Spursreport =
http://www.monacaron.com/images/large/titanic-sinking.jpg

Grand total

http://www.freshpilot.com/wp-content/images/bullshit_button.jpg

GSH
01-15-2009, 11:13 AM
About 5 years ago it might have made sense. Croshere is an "energy" guy, who is just about out of energy. I'd really like to see us get a big whose vertical leap is greater than standing on his tiptoes.

I really liked Croshere when he was younger, and would have liked to see him play for the Spurs. He was hard-nosed, and he could also shoot the ball. But he got a contract that was too rich, and he never looked good enough to justify that salary. The big thing was that his numbers looked pretty good in short bursts, but they didn't increase that much when he got more minutes.

The plus side is that: he has experience (we already have plenty), he's still hard-nosed, and the big contract has expired so now he comes cheap. I don't think any of that outweighs the minus side.

We don't need any help with the lower-tier teams, and I don't think he's athletic enough to be an improvement when we're playing the better teams. At this point in his career, he's going to be a pylon on a slalom course - the good players are going to go right around him. I'd rather see us take a chance on someone young and athletic from the D-League.

arodz
01-15-2009, 11:18 AM
We don't need another damn shooter. We need a rebounder.

bigfan
01-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Horry for sure. Knows the system. No reason not to sign him actually.

Bruno
01-15-2009, 12:24 PM
I don't think there is a link between Spurs going after Croshere and Bonner. Two weeks ago, Spurs tried to sign Mutombo whose profile is the exact opposite of Bonner's one.

Spurs just need another vet big. Right now, there is 4 valid PF/C (Duncan, Bonner, Oberto and Thomas). If an injury, suspension, illness, personal reason s happens during the playoffs to one of them, Spurs will have only 3 bigs and it isn't enough against strong frontcourts . The fact that Croshere is a shooting big like Bonner is more a coincidence than something else.

To me, Croshere is one of the best options available as 5th PF/C. He is a vet with a good latitude and who has still a quite good level of play.

The eventual signing of Croshere would be mainly a bad news for Mahinmi. It could means that Spurs have given up on him for this year.

Shastafarian
01-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Spursreport =
http://www.monacaron.com/images/large/titanic-sinking.jpg

:rollin

classic

Austin_Toros
01-15-2009, 03:56 PM

Trying to find more

I'm starting to get sick of these vets. Hopefully Horry ain't coming back and Crochere doens't get a look. There are others I rather have.

ElNono
01-15-2009, 04:06 PM

Trying to find more

So, it's what YOU think. To be honest, I don't think the coaches can evaluate somebody in 10 days. I think that if the Spurs are signing somebody with the intention of playing him, he's gonna be signed for the rest of the season.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Austin Croshere doesn't excite me much. He's been on the downslide for awhile. I'd almost prefer to see an athletic D-leaguer get a shot over Croshere.

Obstructed_View
01-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Having watched Croshere when he was in Dallas, I can only ask what someone thinks he would contribute to the Spurs.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2009, 04:38 PM
I hope he's not the only big man the Spurs are working out and he's the kind of player I would sign after the trade deadline, but I have no problem with giving him a look.

EricB
01-15-2009, 04:39 PM
I don't understand the logic behind signing Croshere. Hes not athletic, he's not an interior presence, it does nothing but make Bonner aware the Spurs have no confidence him, which in turn will make his play go downhill.

I'm sorry but this move is a backwards move one in wich none is needed IMO.

EricB
01-15-2009, 04:41 PM
I hope he's not the only big man the Spurs are working out and he's the kind of player I would sign after the trade deadline, but I have no problem with giving him a look.

If you moved Bonner and someone else for a Brad Miller or whatever, then this move would make sense.

Unless something is cooking, this signing is nothing but a waste of time.

Obstructed_View
01-15-2009, 04:41 PM

I'd rather bring Tolliver back.

EricB
01-15-2009, 04:42 PM
I'd rather bring Tolliver back.

agreed :tu

at least he's athletic and has youth and upside.

SenorSpur
01-15-2009, 04:46 PM
I don't think there is a link between Spurs going after Croshere and Bonner. Two weeks ago, Spurs tried to sign Mutombo whose profile is the exact opposite of Bonner's one.

Spurs just need another vet big. Right now, there is 4 valid PF/C (Duncan, Bonner, Oberto and Thomas). If an injury, suspension, illness, personal reason s happens during the playoffs to one of them, Spurs will have only 3 bigs and it isn't enough against strong frontcourts . The fact that Croshere is a shooting big like Bonner is more a coincidence than something else.

To me, Croshere is one of the best options available as 5th PF/C. He is a vet with a good latitude and who has still a quite good level of play.

The eventual signing of Croshere would be mainly a bad news for Mahinmi. It could means that Spurs have given up on him for this year.

Croshere ha no interior offensive game nor can he defend against the agile 4-men (West, Stoudamire, Gasol, Aldrige) in the WC. Personally, I'd rather have Joe Smith over Croshere.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2009, 04:47 PM
I'd rather bring Tolliver back.He would never see the floor if everyone is healthy.

Obstructed_View
01-15-2009, 04:51 PM
He would never see the floor if everyone is healthy.

If everyone were healthy 99 percent of the guys you could bring in short of a trade wouldn't see the floor. Also, if everyone is healthy, then that means Ian is playing, and the problem is as close to solved as it's likely to get this season.

EricB
01-15-2009, 04:51 PM
He would never see the floor if everyone is healthy.

Neither would Austin Croshere.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Neither would Austin Croshere.He probably would since he can still shoot.

Bruno
01-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Personally, I'd rather have Joe Smith over Croshere.

Joe Smith isn't a free agent.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2009, 04:53 PM
If everyone were healthy 99 percent of the guys you could bring in short of a trade wouldn't see the floor.Croshere would be in the remaining 1%.
Also, if everyone is healthy, then that means Ian is playing, and the problem is as close to solved as it's likely to get this season.I wasn't counting Ian.

I'm not full bore advocating Croshere, but I guess it's more fun to bash.

He sucks!

Whee!

hater
01-15-2009, 04:55 PM
he brings nothing that Bonner/Oberto/Thomas don't bring.

EricB
01-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Croshere would be in the remaining 1%.I wasn't counting Ian.

He sucks!

Whee!

Whos bashing? Its the truth, hes deteriorated and he stinks.

We should be ecstatic about signing this guy?

ChumpDumper
01-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Whee!

EricB
01-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Croshere is the bestest!!!

Obstructed_View
01-15-2009, 05:01 PM
He probably would since he can still shoot.

Why on earth would you think the Spurs need another shooter at this point, especially a three point shooter? If you're going to waste the last roster spot, the last thing you want is an aging, slow outside shooting forward that can't defend, rebound or block shots, especially with Pop's "shoot first, ask questions later" policy in full-force.

He's probably got some value to someone, but it ain't the Spurs. If that somehow constitutes "bashing" to you then you might avoid the message boards until the wave of oversensitivity you're suffering passes.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Why on earth would you think the Spurs need another shooter at this point, especially a three point shooter?Seems to be working for this team.

If you're going to waste the last roster spot, the last thing you want is an aging, slow outside shooting forward that can't defend, rebound or block shots, especially with Pop's "shoot first, ask questions later" policy in full-force. Since Pop wants shooters, the last thing he wants is a shooter?

He's probably got some value to someone, but it ain't the Spurs. If that somehow constitutes "bashing" to you then you might avoid the message boards until the wave of oversensitivity you're suffering passes.Whee!

SenorSpur
01-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Joe Smith isn't a free agent.

I know. However, Smith's ability would be worth far more going after in trade, than what Croshere could bring and he's free. He gives nothing in terms of post defense and toughness.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2009, 05:08 PM
I know. However, Smith's ability would be worth far more going after in trade, than what Croshere could bring and he's free. He gives nothing in terms of post defense and toughness.Which draft picks do you want to give up?

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-15-2009, 05:09 PM
KWill for the win!

EricB
01-15-2009, 05:10 PM
I know. However, Smith's ability would be worth far more going after in trade, than what Croshere could bring and he's free. He gives nothing in terms of post defense and toughness.

Neither does Joe Smith.

Please people tell me when Joe Smith became this defensive TOUGH stud?

Was it after Cleveland, or was it in his 50th sting with the Timberwolves.

Obstructed_View
01-15-2009, 05:12 PM
Seems to be working for this team.
Yeah, what isn't working is post defense. How's Croshere address that? Oh yeah, by shooting three pointers. They gonna allow the Spurs to play with a second basketball?

Since Pop wants shooters, the last thing he wants is a shooter?
Yeah, two of the top three point shooters in the league isn't enough. Hey, I've got an idea: Let's bring in a guy who doesn't know the defense and has attempted 11 three pointers this season to take minutes away from them. let's ask him to defend Amare and Gasol while we're at it.

Whee.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Yeah, what isn't working is post defense. How's Croshere address that? Oh yeah, by shooting three pointers. They gonna allow the Spurs to play with a second basketball?So which free agent minimum signing addresses that need?

EricB
01-15-2009, 05:15 PM
So which free agent minimum signing addresses that need?

What need does Croshere fit?!?!

SenorSpur
01-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Neither does Joe Smith.

Please people tell me when Joe Smith became this defensive TOUGH stud?

Was it after Cleveland, or was it in his 50th sting with the Timberwolves.

No one's calling him a stud. He's about as skinny as Horry was. However, unlike Croshere, he's not afraid of defending the opposing post players. My point is, wWe've already have one perimeter-shooting big, we don't need another. If Smith is the best the Spurs can do, I'll take him for this year's run.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2009, 05:18 PM
What need does Croshere fit?!?!At this point, playoff experience. An actual NBA game.

Again, I don't think this would be the end all be all signing for the Spurs -- but I haven't heard any alternatives either.

Kori Ellis
01-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Not sure if this was clearified or not but I talked to my Spurs source and Austin Croshere is with the Spurs right now. I am not sure about his contract. Probably a 10 day

So, he signed already? Or he's just here for his workout/physical?

EricB
01-15-2009, 05:21 PM
No one's calling him a stud. He's about as skinny as Horry was. However, unlike Croshere, he's not afraid of defending the opposing post players. My point is, wWe've already have one perimeter-shooting big, we don't need another. If Smith is the best the Spurs can do, I'll take him for this year's run.

I'd rather run with what we have than add that choking soft stiff.

PeterBurns
01-15-2009, 05:25 PM
My source was Ferris Bueller's Sister's Boyfriend's Brother saw Austin at the Baskin Robbins last night.

Blake
01-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Croshere would be in the remaining 1%.I wasn't counting Ian.

He sucks!

Whee!

Whee!

Whee!

:lol

EricB
01-15-2009, 05:28 PM
My source was Ferris Bueller's Sister's Boyfriend's Brother saw Austin at the Baskin Robbins last night.

Charlie Sheen's brother?

Sweet...

mexicanjunior
01-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Croshere would bring nothing to the table outside of what we have currently with Bonner. I guess he would be decent insurance if Bonner was injured but it really doesn't address what the Spurs need...a defensive minded big with some length. I would rather see us use our last open roster spot on whoever is leading the D-League in rebounding than sign an older and worn out version of Matt Bonner...

Bruno
01-15-2009, 05:30 PM

You are comparing apple and orange.

My point is that Spurs needed an additional big. How do you want that this big is Joe Smith when you had to trade a big (Bonner or Oberto or Thomas) to get him ?

Spurs can sign Croshere and then try to trade one of their big for Smith if they want. the choice isn't between Crosher and Smith but between Croshere, D-League players, available FA and maybe some vet with low salaries siting at the end of some teams bench and available via trade..

ManuTP9
01-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Croshere would bring nothing to the table outside of what we have currently with Bonner. I guess he would be decent insurance if Bonner was injured but it really doesn't address what the Spurs need...a defensive minded big with some length. I would rather see us use our last open roster spot on whoever is leading the D-League in rebounding than sign an older and worn out version of Matt Bonner...

+1

EricB
01-15-2009, 05:31 PM
I'd rather beg Alonzo Mourning away from retirement than sign Croshere.

Blake
01-15-2009, 05:32 PM
but I haven't heard any alternatives either.

Robert Horry is apparently making his push to get onto a team somewhere.

"I feel the best I have felt in a long time"

Kori Ellis
01-15-2009, 05:34 PM
I'd rather beg Alonzo Mourning away from retirement than sign Croshere.

I don't think the 15th guy won't see much (any?) floor time for it to matter that much.

picnroll
01-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Signing Croshere is a must. It means that if Bonner chokes or gets injured Spurs have a good chance of still being a second tier playoff team.

EricB
01-15-2009, 05:36 PM
I don't think the 15th guy won't see much (any?) floor time for it to matter that much.

But at least You'd see if Mourning had anything left, shot blocking ability and defending.

If he doesn't you let him slink back to Miami.

EricB
01-15-2009, 05:37 PM

"I feel the best I have felt in a long time"

Horry >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> croshere

ChumpDumper
01-15-2009, 05:38 PM
I'd rather beg Alonzo Mourning away from retirement than sign Croshere.What's stopping you?

"I feel the best I have felt in a long time"Not playing pro ball probably feels pretty good after all those years. If he could shoot anymore I'd consider it, but the evidence is heavily against that.

I don't think the 15th guy won't see much (any?) floor time for it to matter that much.I don't think this can be emphasized enough.

Bruno
01-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Mourning is said to be only interested in playing with Miami. He isn't a realistic option.

EricB
01-15-2009, 05:41 PM
What's stopping you?

Not playing pro ball probably feels pretty good after all those years. If he could shoot anymore I'd consider it, but the evidence is heavily against that.

I don't think this can be emphasized enough.

WTF...

So your telling me Horry has less game than Austin Croshere!?!?

Please....

Spur-Addict
01-15-2009, 05:43 PM

I don't think this can be emphasized enough.

Situational, large frontlines. So it would matter when called upon. And it isn't as though said player would get zero minutes anyways.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2009, 05:43 PM
WTF...So Mourning isn't available. Now what?

So your telling me Horry has less game than Austin Croshere!?!?

Please....I'm telling you Horry was a very poor shooter last season.

What evidence do you have to the contrary?

Kori Ellis
01-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Well Austin Croshere averaged over 2 boards in 7 minutes a game with the Bucks this year. Oberto is averaging about that in 14 mpg this season.

So even if he comes in the game, I'm sure he'll be fine. He'll grab a couple boards, maybe hit a shot, and then go back to the bench.

I just don't see an athletic, shotblocking, young, agile, tough big available anywhere on the cheap.

EricB
So Mourning isn't available. Now what?

I'm telling you Horry was a very poor shooter last season.

What evidence do you have to the contrary?

You didn't answer the question.

You think Croshere has more game than Horry?

ChumpDumper
Situational, large frontlines. So it would matter when called upon. And it isn't as though said player would get zero minutes anyways.Depends on the player -- that's where the experience factor comes in.

timvp
Signing Croshere tomorrow to a ten-day contract would allow him to play six games before the Spurs have to make a decision. If they sign him to a second ten-day contract, he'd be available for a total of 11 games.

It probably can't hurt to give him a look. He may not be a good rebounder but he's a better rebounder than Bonner. I'd prefer a shotblocking big but when you are picking off the waiver wire, finding an NBA-caliber big is hard enough as it is without getting specific of need.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2009, 05:46 PM
You didn't answer the question.

You think Croshere has more game than Horry?At this point, it's quite possible he has more game than Horry.

EricB
01-15-2009, 05:47 PM
At this point, it's quite possible he has more game than Horry.

I'm sorry, I can't agree with that, not one bit.

Blake
yah. there's a pretty good reason why Horry is doing dry cleaner commercials right now instead of playing ball in the NBA.

if he were signed by the Spurs as a last resort, I would feel uncomfortable seeing him behind the three point line.......since last we saw him, he was chunking up board ball after board ball.

ChumpDumper
I'm sorry, I can't agree with that, not one bit.Well good for you.

Congratulations.

duncan228
01-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Is there any serious downside to giving Croshere a look?

tav1
01-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Why on earth would you think the Spurs need another shooter at this point, especially a three point shooter? If you're going to waste the last roster spot, the last thing you want is an aging, slow outside shooting forward that can't defend, rebound or block shots, especially with Pop's "shoot first, ask questions later" policy in full-force.

He's probably got some value to someone, but it ain't the Spurs. If that somehow constitutes "bashing" to you then you might avoid the message boards until the wave of oversensitivity you're suffering passes.

The scuttlebutt is that the Spurs are hoping to land another player...likely a perimeter big.

EricB
01-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Well good for you.

Congratulations.

Wow way to act like an adult.

EricB
01-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Is there any serious downside to giving Croshere a look?

Takes minutes away from Matt Bonner and sends him the signal, we have 0 faith in you even though you've played the best ball of your career.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Is there any serious downside to giving Croshere a look?Unless the Spurs are missing out on signing a 10 and 10 player for the minimum -- I'm sorry, 10 and 8 player who can guard the perimeter and guard Bynum and Gasol and block shots and for the minimum -- probably not.

I would prefer auditioning a couple of D-Leaguers first, but no one has been called up since the Showcase so I guess there's no rush there.

Spur-Addict
01-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Depends on the player -- that's where the experience factor comes in.

I'd rather take a chance on someone "Young" as opposed to getting someone who will not do what is needed. An exercise in futility isn't what this team needs. At least my proposed option wouldn't be so obviously futile.

ChumpDumper
Wow way to act like an adult.I sincerely wanted to congratulate your disagreeing with me.

xtremesteven33
Croshere :td

ChumpDumper
01-15-2009, 05:55 PM
I'd rather take a chance on someone "Young" as opposed to getting someone who will not do what is needed. An exercise in futility isn't what this team needs. At least my proposed option wouldn't be so obviously futile.That's your opinion. I'm fine with giving either Croshere or a younger player who would never see the floor a shot.

FreeMason
01-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Horry's defense is HEAVILY needed rather than his clutch shots. If he never shot ever again and just played Horry defense the Spurs would be so much better.

Assuming he still has it, which he doesn't. But F the shooting, this team needs DEFENSE.

Spur-Addict
01-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Unless the Spurs are missing out on signing a 10 and 10 player for the minimum -- I'm sorry, 10 and 8 player who can guard the perimeter and guard Bynum and Gasol and block shots and for the minimum -- probably not.

I would prefer auditioning a couple of D-Leaguers first, but no one has been called up since the Showcase so I guess there's no rush there.

He's 235lbs, I wouldn't go that far.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Horry's defense is HEAVILY needed rather than his clutch shots. If he never shot ever again and just played Horry defense the Spurs would be so much better.

Assuming he still has it, which he doesn't. But F the shooting, this team needs DEFENSE.So opposing bigs can just double Duncan whenever Horry plays.

Splendid!

Spur-Addict
01-15-2009, 05:58 PM
That's your opinion. I'm fine with giving either Croshere or a younger player who would never see the floor a shot.

Depends what is meant by young, i'm not talking about a rookie. Or we can keep wasting time.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2009, 05:58 PM
He's 235lbs, I wouldn't go that far.Who is?

I'm describing a player who doesn't exist.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Depends what is meant by young, i'm not talking about a rookie. Or we can keep wasting time.Who are you talking about?

EricB
01-15-2009, 05:59 PM
He's 235lbs, I wouldn't go that far.

He's "not" saying Croshere will do that...

Spur-Addict
01-15-2009, 06:00 PM
One thing Crosh can do is most likely guard Odom better, that's about it. He can stretch the floor, and do the little things. But we have players who do that.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2009, 06:00 PM
He's saying Croshere will do that...You guys need a sarcasm filter.

EricB
01-15-2009, 06:01 PM
You guys need a sarcasm filter.

I edited already, you need a calm pill.

Spur-Addict
01-15-2009, 06:02 PM
That's your opinion. I'm fine with giving either Croshere or a younger player who would never see the floor a shot.

Who is?

I'm describing a player who doesn't exist.

You're talking about Crosh and a player who doesn't exist.

xtremesteven33
Maybe if the Pistons continue to lose and are obviously not going to go anywhere in the playoffs we can make a run at RASHEEEEDDD!!!!

:(

ChumpDumper
You're talking about Crosh and a player who doesn't exist.I'm asking you who you want to sign for the minimum.

Spur-Addict
01-15-2009, 06:03 PM
You guys need a sarcasm filter.

I guess I take things more seriously than others, that isn't a bad thing sometimes. Either way, my thoughts still remain the same.

xtremesteven33
01-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Ladies, what are you talking about????

mexicanjunior
01-15-2009, 06:05 PM

Assuming he still has it, which he doesn't. But F the shooting, this team needs DEFENSE.

Agreed, if Horry never shot a 3 again, just played defense and rebounded, our big rotation would still be improved. I don't think he would be able to resist the urge to shoot when open though....

ChumpDumper
01-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Ladies, what are you talking about????Croshere and the imaginary players his signing would preclude the Spurs from getting to save the season.

Spur-Addict
01-15-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm asking you who you want to sign for the minimum.

I don't know about the minimum, but I wouldn't be object to inquiring into a player like Ryan Hollins. Who knows what Charlotte may want in return.

xtremesteven33
01-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Theo Ratliff anyone??

Spur-Addict
01-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Theo Ratliff anyone??

Appealing contract and he can defend the paint better than anyone outside of Tim.

EricB
01-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Theo Ratliff anyone??

If you can get him without giving up a draft pick, go ahead.

Hes more fragile than a china doll however.

mexicanjunior
01-15-2009, 06:20 PM
If you can get him without giving up a draft pick, go ahead.

Hes more fragile than a china doll however.

I had been hoping the Spurs would inquire about him for awhile now. Every game I have seen him play, since he returned from injury, he has ben impressive with his shotblocking and rebounding. I'd love to see him get picked up for possibly a 2nd round pick or some of our spare parts (Vaughn, Udoka, Oberto)...

EricB
01-15-2009, 06:22 PM
I had been hoping the Spurs would inquire about him for awhile now. Every game I have seen him play, since he returned from injury, he has ben impressive with his shotblocking and rebounding. I'd love to see him get picked up for possibly a 2nd round pick or some of our spare parts (Vaughn, Udoka, Oberto)...

I'm sure you would.

Whats Philadelphia's motivation for that though?

mogrovejo
01-15-2009, 06:23 PM
I've watched every minute Cro played in the league this season - and some of his pre-season games with the Pacers.

He still has some gas left in the tank. Certainly the necessary to help a couple of NBA teams in need of a jump-shooting big who's though as nails and plays hard. With the right matchup, he can still provide average defense, I think; and his long-range shot wasn't looking bad.

With that said, I doubt the Spurs are one of those teams. Bonner - assuming he doesn't stop rebounding entirely - is a better version of Croshere at this point of his career. Add Duncan, Oberto and Thomas and I don't see how Cro would crack the rotation. Veterans like Croshere are better than young guys as "insurances" because they're always ready to play - they can be in the inactive 30 consecutive games and be ready on the 31th, even if it's an elimination game in the Conference Finals. But I doubt the Spurs will ever need a 6th big. So, I'd rather save the spot for someone who's bought out or give it to a youngster with potential to develop.

OTOH, I'd much rather have Cro than Horry. Austin is the better player by far as of now - I mean no offense to the Spurs fans who love him (for good reasons), but Horry est finito.

Spur-Addict
01-15-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm sure you would.

Their motivation is that they are a terrible perimeter shooting team.

EricB
01-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Their motivation is that they are a terrible perimeter shooting team.

So they add Ime Udoka?

mexicanjunior
01-15-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm sure you would.

Once Brand comes back, I think Ratliff's role on the team will be diminished significantely. He did not get much PT when the Spurs played the Sixers and that was without Brand in the lineup. Better to move him for a pick or expirting contracts than let him sit on the pine...

ChumpDumper
01-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Once Brand comes back, I think Ratliff's role on the team will be diminished significantely. He did not get much PT when the Spurs played the Sixers and that was without Brand in the lineup. Better to move him for a pick or expirting contracts than let him sit on the pine...Theo is playing for the minimum and his contract will expire after this season.

Spur-Addict
01-15-2009, 06:44 PM
So they add Ime Udoka?

I'm sorry, is that your best attempt at a condescending reply? :lol

HarlemHeat37
01-15-2009, 07:25 PM
if it's a 10-day, I don't mind..

he doesn't address our situation though..

Ian is our best bet..

Thompson
01-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Although if the Spurs are bringing in Croshere, maybe that means they have a SLIGHT bit of hope for Mahinmi. Maybe not.

Or it means they have been holding Mahinmi out 'injured' because they know once all the other teams see he's the second coming of D-Rob, they'll scramble to catch up. The Lakers might pull another 'trade' out of nowhere that gets them a franchise player for Radmanovic.

Mahinmi will play his first full game immediately after the trade deadline. There will be no one to stop us this time.

:downspin:

xtremesteven33
01-15-2009, 09:05 PM
heres some Croshere from just last year....

pQHwjrp_1Eo

AFBlue
01-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Six pages for Austin Croshere...damn!

GSH
01-15-2009, 10:52 PM

pQHwjrp_1Eo

Okay, I watched the video. It makes me wonder if someone slipped some lead weights inside those nasty-looking shoes as a joke. I like Croshere, and I would really love to see him find new life here. But, damn it looks like he has to work to get both feet off the ground.

Oh well... he's a hard-nosed player, and very capable of putting some wood on an opposing player. But he's always been good at playing physical without drawing a lot of whistles. We could use somebody who can come in and bang on the opposing bigs a little bit.

I thought he would be a good fit about 5 years ago, and I even mentioned it here a couple of times. I wish I thought he still had enough gas in the tank, but I don't. I really hope he proves me wrong.

benefactor
01-15-2009, 10:59 PM
What the hell...give him a 10 day. If he doesn't pan out then we can audition a few D-Leaguers. If we are still staring at a short stack on the front line late in the season we can bring back Tolliver for insurance purposes.

Taking it to the Hole
01-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Seeing Robert Horry last night in the crowd made me want him back on our team. Just having him out their on the court strikes fear in a lot of teams. I wouldn't be surprised to see the FO make an offer to him pretty soon. Bringing in anyone else right now will require them learning the Spurs system and that is going to take time. With Horry, he knows the system already and can contribute immediately and would give another threat out there. I would like to put my faith in Bonner to make clutch 3's in the playoffs, but I just see a huge "choke job" coming. Horry would be great insurance to have and I have to admit even at his age, he plays better defense than Bonner does.

xtremesteven33
01-15-2009, 11:11 PM
I would like to have Horry back as well. I just cringe at how long its gonna take (or if it ever) for Horry to get back into game shape. Look at how long its taking Manu to get into NBA shape after missing training camp and the first 12 games of the season.

It doesnt matter how much you know the system, what matters is how much game shape you are in. Its not as bad if youre young, i can imagine how much harder it is when youre pushing 40.

benefactor
01-15-2009, 11:25 PM
Do we not realize that Horry is a year older than last year...and how he looked last year?

wildbill2u
01-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Definitely possible if they just want another big body on the bench. There's probably some young guys that they should look at before him.

True, but you know how Pop loves old vets on their way out of the game.

EricB
01-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Yeah and pop won't play young guys either right?

SenorSpur
01-15-2009, 11:33 PM
I watched the video too. I'm ok with the Spurs take a look at him - a long, look even. Hell, at this point it wouldn't hurt. He looks likes he may have soemthing left - and he does have NBA valuable experience.

jcrod
01-15-2009, 11:39 PM
I won't hurt doing a 10day. He might turn into a mini poor man's Danny Ferry.

01-15-2009, 11:41 PM

pQHwjrp_1Eo

i really have no idea who austin croshere is nor have i seen him play. but if he can attack the rim like he does in this video, he will definitely help out duncan offensively. one thing matt bonner cannot do is take his defender off the dribble and either pull up for a shot or attack the rim. according to scouting reports, croshere is a mediocre defender and won't be the defensive presence spurs also need but i'm willing to see how this pans out. his per 40 stats for last year was 15pts/9reb which is pretty damn efficient for a 15th man. defensively, he's not going to do much, barely averaging .5 blocks in a per 40 setting.

01-15-2009, 11:45 PM
interesting note: 2008 was the only time in croshere's career that he did not make the playoffs. so he definitely has abundant playoff experience.

Obstructed_View
01-16-2009, 02:17 AM
Seeing David Robinson last night in the crowd made me want him back on our team. Just having him out their on the court strikes fear in a lot of teams. I wouldn't be surprised to see the FO make an offer to him pretty soon. Bringing in anyone else right now will require them learning the Spurs system and that is going to take time. With David, he knows the system already and can contribute immediately and would give another threat out there. I would like to put my faith in Bonner to make clutch defensive stops in the playoffs, but I just see a huge "choke job" coming. Robinson would be great insurance to have and I have to admit even at his age, he plays better defense than Bonner does.

Put in perspective.

naico
01-16-2009, 02:49 AM
Lots a respect for Horry and maybe he could play a surprisingly big role for us, but cmon people, he was probably one of ten worst players in the nba last year.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2009, 03:28 AM
Seeing Robert Horry last night in the crowd made me want him back on our team. Just having him out their on the court strikes fear in a lot of teams. I wouldn't be surprised to see the FO make an offer to him pretty soon. Bringing in anyone else right now will require them learning the Spurs system and that is going to take time. With Horry, he knows the system already and can contribute immediately and would give another threat out there. I would like to put my faith in Bonner to make clutch 3's in the playoffs, but I just see a huge "choke job" coming. Horry would be great insurance to have and I have to admit even at his age, he plays better defense than Bonner does.Never ever going to happen.

Ever.

Spork KIller
01-16-2009, 04:59 AM
Austin Croshere??

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!

ChumpDumper
01-16-2009, 05:01 AM
Fake Phoenix Suns fan??

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Kori Ellis
01-16-2009, 06:10 AM
All I was told was that (And I quote) Austin Croshere is with us, but nothing is offical.. Thats all he said, I didn't feel like asking anything, although I got this information shortly before the Spurs should have left for Philadelphia.

Thanks.

timvp
01-16-2009, 06:20 AM
I don't think there is a link between Spurs going after Croshere and Bonner. Two weeks ago, Spurs tried to sign Mutombo whose profile is the exact opposite of Bonner's one.Disagree. First off, I don't really buy the Mutombo rumors. All along, it was pretty obvious that Mutombo wanted to go back to the Rockets. As far as I can tell, he was using the Spurs as leverage to make sure the Rockets sign him. With Morey obsessed with one upping the Spurs, it was a smart ploy by Mutombo.

And secondly, I highly doubt it's a coincidence that the Spurs release Tolliver and replace him with Croshere ... who both happen to have basically the same type of game. Bonner is currently the Spurs' answer to the perimeter four that Pop loves. The Spurs want insurance in case Bonner can't cut it or gets injured. Tolliver was potentially that but he couldn't shoot. Croshere is the same type player except less of a ceiling and more history of being able to shoot.

Add to that the fact that the Spurs went after Najera in the offseason and the fact that Ludden said that the Spurs are looking for a bigman that can spread the floor .... and it appears clear to me that Bonner insurance is basically what the Spurs are after at this point.

kace
01-16-2009, 06:24 AM
what does he worth as a low post defender ? i can't remember and that's what is really important IMO.

timvp
01-16-2009, 06:27 AM
what does he worth as a low post defender ? At best he's about as good as Bonner. Probably worse.

mountainballer
01-16-2009, 07:06 AM
Disagree. First off, I don't really buy the Mutombo rumors. All along, it was pretty obvious that Mutombo wanted to go back to the Rockets. As far as I can tell, he was using the Spurs as leverage to make sure the Rockets sign him. With Morey obsessed with one upping the Spurs, it was a smart ploy by Mutombo.

And secondly, I highly doubt it's a coincidence that the Spurs release Tolliver and replace him with Croshere ... who both happen to have basically the same type of game. Bonner is currently the Spurs' answer to the perimeter four that Pop loves. The Spurs want insurance in case Bonner can't cut it or gets injured. Tolliver was potentially that but he couldn't shoot. Croshere is the same type player except less of a ceiling and more history of being able to shoot.

Add to that the fact that the Spurs went after Najera in the offseason and the fact that Ludden said that the Spurs are looking for a bigman that can spread the floor .... and it appears clear to me that Bonner insurance is basically what the Spurs are after at this point.

I'm not sure about this Bonner insurance argument.
we learned that Spurs are very active in talks with other teams. we know that they have only a few assets. whatever moves the Spurs try, very likely it will be a package move, considering the structure of contracts outside the big three. so it's very likely that Matt is part of some of this proposals. a signing of Croshere would IMO be another evidence for such scenarios and give the Spurs more flexibility for trade negotiations.
currently Matt's trade value is not that bad. also not great of course, but maybe better than many here believe. his shooting numbers are the best of his NBA career, 3 million per year are not a bargain but also not a cap killer and the contract expires in the magical year 2010.
I can see quite some teams that might see use for an almost 50% 3pt shooting big man. some of this teams are borderline PO teams and might look to adjust their roster. most of all the Sixers, but also the Buck and Bobcats. to a lesser extend teams like Cavs and Heat could find some minutes for Bonner.

can't tell who we would be able to get from the mentioned teams (there is also always the possibility of a 3 teams trade), point is that a package of of Matt+JV/Ime+picks (Splitter rights) might be the most attractive offer we can assemble without hurting the team much.

kace
01-16-2009, 08:10 AM
At best he's about as good as Bonner. Probably worse.

OK. thanks.

i can't remember a single game this season where a good offensive big (PF or C) didn't played well against us.

indeed if we look at all the games we had, the opponent quality bigs scored 171/307, so at 55,7 % against us, if i don't make any mistake.

when i say quality bigs, i mean the usual bigs who can score enough at the low post (gasol, bynum, howard, shaq, amare, al jefferson, bosh, west, sheed, yao, gooden, okur, K-Mart, nene, kaman).

even Marc gasol and Bogut hurted us when we met them.

well usually these big men score at a high %, but 55.7 % against us still seems a little too high IMO.

I saw tim having a hard time a lot of times. Another big who can defend would be great.

Bruno
01-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Disagree. First off, I don't really buy the Mutombo rumors. All along, it was pretty obvious that Mutombo wanted to go back to the Rockets. As far as I can tell, he was using the Spurs as leverage to make sure the Rockets sign him. With Morey obsessed with one upping the Spurs, it was a smart ploy by Mutombo.

Mutembo being serious or not to sign with Spurs is quite irrelevant.
What is relevant is if Spurs were serious about signing him. It surely looks like Spurs wanted to sign him.

And secondly, I highly doubt it's a coincidence that the Spurs release Tolliver and replace him with Croshere ... who both happen to have basically the same type of game.

First, Tolliver being waived has nothing to do with Crosher. It has everything to do with him sucking and his contract becoming guaranteed.

Second, in your own words : "I'd prefer a shotblocking big but when you are picking off the waiver wire, finding an NBA-caliber big is hard enough as it is without getting specific of need.". Croshere is basically the only legit vet PF/C available.

Add to that the fact that the Spurs went after Najera in the offseason

The situation isn't the same at all than last summer.
Last summer, Bonner was deep in the doghouse. He is now a starter and aside of Duncan, no Spurs bigs have played more minutes per game than him for four years.

the fact that Ludden said that the Spurs are looking for a bigman that can spread the floor

His article was written yesterday. He likely knew that Spurs were close to sign Croshere when he writes it.

To me, the situation is very simple. Spurs need another vet bigman. They tried to get Mutombo who was the best available 2 weeks ago, it didn't work. They will now try Croshere who is currently the best available.

TDMVPDPOY
01-16-2009, 09:22 AM
lets hope this guy is better than oberto.....or can => obertos stats

ploto
01-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Austin played for the Pacers in the pre-season and did not look good.

PeterBurns
01-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Confirmed in the other thread

Crosherelooms
01-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Your savior has arrived!

I Love Me Some Me
01-16-2009, 12:09 PM
The balance of power has shifted.

timvp
01-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Mutembo being serious or not to sign with Spurs is quite irrelevant.
What is relevant is if Spurs were serious about signing him. It surely looks like Spurs wanted to sign him.Link to Spurs being serious about Mutombo? The only reason the Spurs got linked to Mutombo is because Mutombo said the Spurs were trying to sign him. I'm skeptical about whether that is true. Especially considering he was hinting at the Celtics' major interest ...... until the Celtics came out and said they weren't going to sign him.

First, Tolliver being waived has nothing to do with Crosher. It has everything to do with him sucking and his contract becoming guaranteed.I didn't say it had anything to do with it. I said that they both have the same skillset.

Second, in your own words : "I'd prefer a shotblocking big but when you are picking off the waiver wire, finding an NBA-caliber big is hard enough as it is without getting specific of need.". Croshere is basically the only legit vet PF/C available. Never heard of the timvp guy you are sourcing. Plus, that doesn't explain Tolliver or the interest in Najera. I can't imagine it's all one big coincidence that the Spurs keep trying to fill a backup big spot with the same skillset that Bonner possesses.

The situation isn't the same at all than last summer.
Last summer, Bonner was deep in the doghouse. He is now a starter and aside of Duncan, no Spurs bigs have played more minutes per game than him for four years.Coming into the season when Pop and Duncan were asked which player needed to step up this season, they both said Bonner. If Bonner failed, they wanted a similar type player to be able to fill in. Hence the Bonner insurance.

His article was written yesterday. He likely knew that Spurs were close to sign Croshere when he writes it.He said the Spurs were looking to trade for a young big who could stretch the floor. Croshere isn't exactly a young big and the Spurs didn't trade for him . . .

To me, the situation is very simple. Spurs need another vet bigman. They tried to get Mutombo who was the best available 2 weeks ago, it didn't work. They will now try Croshere who is currently the best available.To me it appears as if the Spurs want to make sure they have a couple of options in the "perimeter four" department. Their pattern of moves this season indicate as much. They'll give Croshere a look by giving him the 8-12 minutes Tolliver was getting to see if he can hang.

I'd say there's probably about a 60% chance Croshere is kept for the rest of the season. Pop believes in having a perimeter four next to TD and Croshere can fit into that mold. He's not very good defensively but Pop will probably convince himself that he can turn Croshere into a Ferry-esque defender. Plus Croshere is probably a better rebounder at this point than Bonner or Oberto, so that will be a positive in his corner when the Spurs have to make a decision by the end of his second 10-day contract.

Ditty
01-16-2009, 02:04 PM
its a 10 day contract chill

EricB
01-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Realisticly Ferry and Croshere are pretty similar.

Croshere a good shooting 4 who can bang rebounding wise.

Bruno
01-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Link to Spurs being serious about Mutombo?

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2009/01/04/help_wanted_but_theres_no_big_hurry/

"I wanted to play about 40-something games," said Mutombo. "The only money that was on the table for me was San Antonio and Houston. Yao Ming talked to me about coming back.

Either Mutombo was flat out lying, Spurs were really interested in him. Given that he said that after having re-signed with Houston, I don't see the interest for him to lie.

Plus, that doesn't explain Tolliver or the interest in Najera. I can't imagine it's all one big coincidence that the Spurs keep trying to fill a backup big spot with the same skillset that Bonner possesses.

Last summer, it was quite obvious that Spurs had some serious doubt about Bonner. Spurs trying to sign Najera was quite a proof of that.
But, as I said in the previous post, Bonner's status has changed with his good season. Spurs should have way less doubt about Bonner abilities. I think it's at the point that they aren't looking to have a plan B anticipating Bonner failing during the playoffs.

And BTW : Najera 1/16 3PM/A, Bonner 50/106 3PM/A.
Spurs have finally been quite lucky not getting Najera. :)

Hemotivo
01-16-2009, 04:07 PM
To be honest with you guys, I really don't see why Pop wants a big that can shoot when Matt is playing so well. I think we are going to make a move for Chris Wilcox. The Spurs need another inside scorer and rebounder that can defend a bit as well. Scola would have been perfect.

:wakeup

mrspurs
01-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Finally a guy who can slam the ball.