PDA

View Full Version : Why The Lakers Should Be Scared Of The Spurs

duncan228
01-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Why the Lakers should be scared of the San Antonio Spurs (http://www.examiner.com/x-955-Los-Angeles-Lakers-Examiner~y2009m1d15-Why-the-Lakers-should-be-scared-of-the-San-Antonio-Spurs)
by Colin Ward-Henninger, Los Angeles Lakers Examiner

A lot of things came out of the Los Angeles Lakers' 112-111 loss to the San Antonio Spurs Wednesday night, but I'm going to focus on one.

One of the biggest questions about the Spurs has been whether the players that have stepped up during the regular season would actually be factors come playoff time.

Tonight we may have gotten our answer. While the Lakers continually looked to Kobe Bryant to be the play-maker and shot-taker (and make plays he did), the Spurs left the game in the hands of one of their role players, Roger Mason Jr.

As we all know, Mason drilled the shot and was inexplicably fouled by Derek Fisher to give the Spurs a one point lead.

On the ensuing possession, Kobe was doubled so he gave the ball to one of the Lakers' top role players, Trevor Ariza. Looking to duplicate Mason's heroics, Ariza took the ball to the basket and...was called for traveling.

It's just a regular season game, but the fact that Mason could deliver where Ariza faltered has to give the Spurs a serious confidence boost. Now they have a role player, in addition to their big three, who is capable of making clutch shots.

Right now all the Lakers have is Kobe and (sometimes) Pau Gasol. They're going to need one of their role players to show up at the end of games, or the Lakers could have trouble in close games down the stretch....or in the playoffs against the Spurs.

td4mvp21
01-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Fisher can hit some clutch shots as well.

xtremesteven33
01-15-2009, 12:57 PM
UMMMM...the Lakers dont have any other clutch players besides Kobe???

Fisher doesnt qualify for what reason?

m33p0
01-15-2009, 12:59 PM
poor ariza. he got torched repeatedly by manu. :lol

Blake
01-15-2009, 01:00 PM
I thought Bynum made a clutch basket right in Duncan's face down the stretch last night.

DrHouse
01-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Did one of you guys write this article?

urunobili
01-15-2009, 01:16 PM
poor ariza. he got torched repeatedly by manu. :lol

and the funny thing is that he actually defended him well... Ditka couldn;t have stopped Manu yesterday...

KaiRMD1
01-15-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm sorry to say this but it's only one game. If the Spurs are able to win the next game (which is what I hope) then we can start talking about how the Lakers should fear the Spurs. although Mason is definitely becoming Mr. Clutch. I'm surprised he didn't make a name for himself before.

Killakobe81
01-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Ariza couldnt handle Manu (not many can)but Kobe did Late and ARiza helped keep TP in check late ...

BlackSwordsMan
01-15-2009, 01:34 PM
fisher isn't clutch? What a terrible article

TMTTRIO
01-15-2009, 01:43 PM
and the funny thing is that he actually defended him well... Ditka couldn;t have stopped Manu yesterday...

The scary thing is that was one of Manu's going wild on everyone games (even though he did have some bad turnovers in the second half) and we still won by a point. I don't think you can expect him to go crazy on them again every game.

EricB
01-15-2009, 01:59 PM
Ariza couldnt handle Manu (not many can)but Kobe did Late and ARiza helped keep TP in check late ...

After rewatching the end of the game again, Parker kept Parker in check.

He blew around Ariza pretty well and just stopped when he came to Gasol for some reason.

Parker will adjust for the next game...

pawe
01-15-2009, 02:03 PM
What he could've done was write how many clutch players the Spurs have instead.

DROB4EVER
01-15-2009, 02:41 PM
The lakers have plenty of length, that helps give them second shots, and get into passing lanes. They also are a good 3pts shooting team. I dont think we can judge anything by last night. The Spurs to me look like the 5th best team in the NBA, we need to get manu 100% and Ian giving us another big who can play D and rebound then I can see us making a run.

I still think the Spurs Laker series is gonna come down to home court, and I dont see the Spurs making up 5 games right now.

Medvedenko
01-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Good game by the spurs and took some late game heorics. The lakers were due for a loss as Kobe has been clutch the last few games and again tonight. This time the opposing team made their shot. Spurs played well as a veteran team usually does that's well coached.

Ghazi
01-15-2009, 03:21 PM
The Lakers absolutely should not be "scared" of the Spurs. They're a better team than the Spurs and will have HCA in the playoffs if they are to meet, SA has lost 5 straight in Staples Center. I will say the Spurs present the best chance in the WC to knock off the Spurs, but the Lakers should not be scared of them at all. If anything, given last years playoffs, it's vice versa.

iggypop123
01-15-2009, 03:32 PM
its clear the western conference is a 2 team league. lakers and spurs. the lakers shouldn't be scared jsut because they lost with an undermanned team by 1 point. they handed the game away with fisher's foul. the ariza thing was a foul but wasn't called and its not a suprise. that's the nba so nothing worth getting angry for. if the spurs can win at staples with a healthy laker team then a conversation can start

DrHouse
01-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Exactly. The Spurs need to show that they can compete in Staples 1st before we have this discussion.

It's unlikely that SAS catches up to LAL and takes HCA from them.

Brazil
01-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Please one game at a time.

DAF86
01-15-2009, 05:30 PM

Kobe didn't handle Manu, he just played to deny him the ball and the Spurs didn't try hard enough to find him. Every time Manu got the ball he went past Kobe easily.

spurspokesman
01-15-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm sorry to say this but it's only one game. If the Spurs are able to win the next game (which is what I hope) then we can start talking about how the Lakers should fear the Spurs. although Mason is definitely becoming Mr. Clutch. I'm surprised he didn't make a name for himself before.
Actually he did. I watched him when arenas was out and he was torchin cleveland in the playoffs although wash loss. I was happy and bragging when we signed him. A lot of people here thought he was garbage for some reason

spurspokesman
01-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Actually he did. I watched him when arenas was out and he was torchin cleveland in the playoffs although wash loss. I was happy and bragging when we signed him. A lot of people here thought he was garbage for some reason. But good point.

WayOutWest
01-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Of all the NBA teams, the Spurs should know the name "Fisher".

Stupid article. Hope he's not paid to be that clueless.

My .4 cents.

temujin
01-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Good article and very good point.

In general, you don't want to loose close games. Never.
You don't want to loose a game in which you shot 56%.
You'd rather be blown out -expecially on a back to back- and go out saying you were tired and shots just did not fall.
Not close games.

As to the point of the article,
Fisher was there last year and the year before.
Mason was not.
Instead, there was Barry who was fouled by Fisher, but couldn't get his shot off, much less score.
Mason is a substantial addition, and he has won three games already. More than any of the big three.

In my opinion, the Lakers have two problems.
1) The lack of a real point guard (Fisher way better than Farmer).
2) Gasol, Mr. Second. The guy is a real legend.

LAkers will most likely win the WC title, provided that Bryant is healthy.

The Spurs will be a tough beast to beat, though, if they continue the improvements seen over the last month.
Much thougher than last year.

Lakers_55
01-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Interesting. Actually, from a Laker fan point, what I saw last night was no different from the kind of game we have met many times this season from the Kings, Knicks, Pacers, Warriors, etc...Our points in the paint was a huge advantage, and Gasol and Bynum will continue to score at will against this Spurs team.

Long way to go, anything can happen between now and later!

Amuseddaysleeper
01-15-2009, 10:23 PM
If I'm a Laker I wouldn't be concerned with the Spurs unless we drop the next game in which these two teams meet in LA

z0sa
01-15-2009, 10:31 PM
LA won last playoffs. Spurs have a lot to prove still, but this game shows we're much closer to the Lakers than many would like to admit. Our role players are stepping up in a big way on offense. We have the ability to play well enough to beat them.

mogrovejo
01-15-2009, 10:39 PM
There are some reasons why the Lakers should be scared of the Spurs:

- their own high pick'n'roll defence.

- the Spurs have plenty of good shooters to put on the naked wing and know how to execute the ball reversal properly.

- the Spurs will have a good chance of winning the rebounding battle.

- the Spurs have 3 guys to throw at Kobe.

- the Spurs have a jump-shooting big who can be good enough on the defensive end to slow down one of the Lakers bigs in limited minutes - creating serious problems to the Lakers defence when he's on the floor.

- the Spurs have 3 players who can score +20ppg.

Lack of clutch players is not one of the reasons. Clutchness is mostly a myth. Teams generally win 50% of games decided by 5 points or less, no matter how good or how bad they are. It's just a perception. The Lakers have plenty of role-players who won't lay an egg on crunch time.

PuttPutt
01-15-2009, 10:42 PM
This article is premature. If they go to Staples & win...then they could possibly be scared.

Rogue
01-15-2009, 10:42 PM
http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp180/killlogan/1zl3msx.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/1zl3msx.jpg

PURO SAN ANTO 210!
01-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Cause We're Gonna Be There In The End. That's Why Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

WayOutWest
01-15-2009, 11:00 PM
Cause We're Gonna Be There In The End. That's Why Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

Wishing the Lakers good luck in the next round.

PURO SAN ANTO 210!
01-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Haha! Fuck U Ese!!!!!!

Puro San Anto 210!

Taking it to the Hole
01-15-2009, 11:11 PM
Kobe isn't interested in playing defense in spite of what you have heard. He couldn't stop Manu if he wanted to. I have to admit though, it is also difficult for Manu to guard Kobe one-on-one, but that is to be expected. I think you guard Kobe by committee. I am more concerned with how Ariza shut down TP's penetration. That is what really hurt us more than anything. TP better start learning to hit that mid-range shot better because he can't always rely on penetrating and kicking out. TP looked obviously flustered with Ariza guarding him. I think George Hill did a decent job with his minutes out there. The Spurs may need to play more "small ball" to match up against the Lakers.

duncan228
01-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Manu Ginobili is a role model for Lakers reserves (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2009/01/lakers-reserves.html)
LA Times Lakers Blog

Though the Lakers were missing two key reserves, their bench still played well against the San Antonio Spurs on Wednesday night.

It's just that San Antonio's bench was more productive. Well, to be fair, Spurs sixth man Manu Ginobili was great.

Ginobili had 27 points. He was nine for 15 from the field, four for eight from three-point range. He also had three steals.

The Lakers' bench of Lamar Odom, Trevor Ariza and Josh Powell combined for 25 points on 11-for-20 shooting. They also had 13 rebounds, five assists and five steals.

But what one can't forget is that Ginobili has won the NBA's sixth man of the year award, so he's used to coming off the bench.

-- Broderick Turner

duncan228
01-15-2009, 11:56 PM
LAKERS: A great deal of work remains (http://www.whittierdailynews.com/sports/ci_11465721)
By Elliott Teaford

LOS ANGELES - There was no formal practice Thursday, but that didn't mean the Lakers rested after their two-game trip to Texas. There remains a great deal of work to be done before they can breathe a sigh of relief, or as close to one as they can manage at this point.

First, there's the Orlando Magic, followed by the Cleveland Cavaliers, Clippers, Washington Wizards and San Antonio Spurs.

Rest is a relative term as far as the Lakers are concerned.

"You have to be ready because there is no break," 7-footer Pau Gasol said after the Lakers' 112-111 loss Wednesday to the Spurs in San Antonio, which came 24 hours after a 105-100 victory over the Rockets in Houston.

"We have Orlando, Cleveland and San Antonio (coming up), so it's a good homestand but challenging at the same time. We have to take advantage of home court and play well against some of the top teams in the league."

The Spurs showed the Lakers they are as formidable as ever, with Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker leading the way.

"It was typical Spurs-Lakers stuff," Kobe Bryant said after leading the Lakers with 29 points, 10 assists and seven rebounds Wednesday.

"That's how it is. I hope they got it out of their system and there are no more bullets left."

OUT OF POSITION

Trevor Ariza generally is regarded as a small forward. But with injuries to guards Jordan Farmar (knee surgery) and Sasha Vujacic (back spasms) and forward Luke Walton (foot), Ariza's role has been expanded. Coach Phil Jackson has asked him to guard opposing point guards, for instance.

"We've got a lot of versatile players, Kobe and Lamar (Odom)," Ariza said. "You can put me in there, if you want to. I just play basketball. I just try to do what I can do."

Ariza, asked about his strategy for chasing pint-sized guards, smiled.

"I try not to give them a lot space, try not to let them beat me because a lot of them are quicker than I am," he said. "I just try to use my length. I like guarding people who are good. It's a challenge. I'll be ready."

z0sa
01-16-2009, 12:01 AM
LAKERS: A great deal of work remains (http://www.whittierdailynews.com/sports/ci_11465721)
By Elliott Teaford

LOS ANGELES - There was no formal practice Thursday, but that didn't mean the Lakers rested after their two-game trip to Texas. There remains a great deal of work to be done before they can breathe a sigh of relief, or as close to one as they can manage at this point.

First, there's the Orlando Magic, followed by the Cleveland Cavaliers, Clippers, Washington Wizards and San Antonio Spurs.

Rest is a relative term as far as the Lakers are concerned.

"You have to be ready because there is no break," 7-footer Pau Gasol said after the Lakers' 112-111 loss Wednesday to the Spurs in San Antonio, which came 24 hours after a 105-100 victory over the Rockets in Houston.

"We have Orlando, Cleveland and San Antonio (coming up), so it's a good homestand but challenging at the same time. We have to take advantage of home court and play well against some of the top teams in the league."

The Spurs showed the Lakers they are as formidable as ever, with Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker leading the way.

"It was typical Spurs-Lakers stuff," Kobe Bryant said after leading the Lakers with 29 points, 10 assists and seven rebounds Wednesday.

"That's how it is. I hope they got it out of their system and there are no more bullets left."

OUT OF POSITION

Trevor Ariza generally is regarded as a small forward. But with injuries to guards Jordan Farmar (knee surgery) and Sasha Vujacic (back spasms) and forward Luke Walton (foot), Ariza's role has been expanded. Coach Phil Jackson has asked him to guard opposing point guards, for instance.

"We've got a lot of versatile players, Kobe and Lamar (Odom)," Ariza said. "You can put me in there, if you want to. I just play basketball. I just try to do what I can do."

Ariza, asked about his strategy for chasing pint-sized guards, smiled.

"I try not to give them a lot space, try not to let them beat me because a lot of them are quicker than I am," he said. "I just try to use my length. I like guarding people who are good. It's a challenge. I'll be ready."

Ariza frustrated Parker somewhat, but then again I saw him brick a couple wide open jump shots down the stretch. I doubt another fourth quarter meltdown occurs again next week.

Parker still had a good game. We could have done without the passes to Tim's feet.

DrHouse
01-16-2009, 12:07 AM
I almost feel bad that Spurs fans around the world are getting their hopes up that they are a better team than the Lakers.

You'll come back down to earth next Sunday when you see what a healthy, well rested, Laker team can do to you.

DROB4EVER
01-16-2009, 12:22 AM
Whats all this scoring in the paint shit Laker fans keep harping on? Gasol is a jump shooter, not a post player, he gets his points outside the paint and on break out dunks and free throws. Bynum played well overall but he relies on others to get him easy looks, hes not a post up scorer yet and I dont see him ever being a dominate bigman.

Both teams shot lights out and in a jump shooting contest I like our chances, we have great shooters. I would be more concered with front court scoring if the Lakers were getting alot of layups.

DROB4EVER
01-16-2009, 12:26 AM
I almost feel bad that Spurs fans around the world are getting their hopes up that they are a better team than the Lakers.

You'll come back down to earth next Sunday when you see what a healthy, well rested, Laker team can do to you.

I dont think we are getting hopes up, but the lakers to me looked like a better team last year. I think Bynum if a poor fit. Trading him for another guy who can run the floor and another wing player would really put the lakers over the top.

My question was could the Spurs score enough points to beat the Lakers cause our D is not as good as last year. I think that question was answered. If Ian plays this year which I think he will and gives us the athletic shot blocker and rebounder we need, someone who can matchup with Lamar or Gasol I think we are neck and neck with you guys.

DrHouse
01-16-2009, 12:28 AM
The Spurs will never beat the Lakers in a jumpshooting contest.

The only way they can finally beat them in the playoffs is if they slow the pace down and keep the scores in the high 80's to low 90's. That's the only way they will win. If they forgo their defense and try and outshoot LAL they will lose.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-16-2009, 12:30 AM
As said many times before, we should wait till the Spurs win one in LA before making any outlandish statements.

I also think Ariza is a bigger difference than Bynum is when compared to last year's LA roster.

DrHouse
01-16-2009, 12:32 AM
I dont think we are getting hopes up, but the lakers to me looked like a better team last year. I think Bynum if a poor fit. Trading him for another guy who can run the floor and another wing player would really put the lakers over the top.

My question was could the Spurs score enough points to beat the Lakers cause our D is not as good as last year. I think that question was answered. If Ian plays this year which I think he will and gives us the athletic shot blocker and rebounder we need, someone who can matchup with Lamar or Gasol I think we are neck and neck with you guys.

The Lakers are already a better team this season than last year. They are better in every single statistical category there is so I don't know why you would say that. They still have another half a season to gel together, they will be better in the playoffs. They have the best record in the NBA and a whopping 5 game lead over the next team in the WC.

DROB4EVER
01-16-2009, 12:34 AM
The Spurs will never beat the Lakers in a jumpshooting contest.

The only way they can finally beat them in the playoffs is if they slow the pace down and keep the scores in the high 80's to low 90's. That's the only way they will win. If they forgo their defense and try and outshoot LAL they will lose.

Hey remember, last night we were up 11 then tried to slow it down and you guys took the lead late. Bonner and Mase are better shooters than anyone you guys have. Manu is very good as well and Fin can get white hot.

DrHouse
01-16-2009, 12:39 AM
I'm just saying the Spurs are probably not going to be successful changing who they are just to beat a very good team in the Lakers. You win playing to your strengths, not going away from them.

I agree the Spurs got better offensively this season, but they've never been known as a team that wins with their offense. They've always won with their championship defense. I just have a hard time seeing the Spurs win another LOB without going back to the recipe that made them successful in this decade.

There is a model to beating the Lakers going back to '04. It doesn't involve high scoring games with no defense.

DROB4EVER
01-16-2009, 12:40 AM
The Lakers are already a better team this season than last year. They are better in every single statistical category there is so I don't know why you would say that. They still have another half a season to gel together, they will be better in the playoffs. They have the best record in the NBA and a whopping 5 game lead over the next team in the WC.

Im not looking at it from a statistic point of view, cause Gasol didnt start with the Lakers. What Im saying is that with Gasol at the 5 you guys can outrun anyone. Bynum, looks lost on offense, seems to take looks away from Gasol.

Trading Bynum for someone like K Martin who thrives in a run game and is a very good defender, and lets say the nugs throw in a first rounder and L Kleiza to me makes you guys more dangerous. I dont see Bynum being a Laker for the duration of his contract and you guys could make a move and lock up a couple titles if your willing to part with him.

DROB4EVER
01-16-2009, 12:42 AM
I'm just saying the Spurs are probably not going to be successful changing who they are just to beat a very good team in the Lakers. You win playing to your strengths, not going away from them.

I agree the Spurs got better offensively this season, but they've never been known as a team that wins with their offense. They've always won with their championship defense. I just have a hard time seeing the Spurs win another LOB without going back to the recipe that made them successful in this decade.

There is a model to beating the Lakers going back to '04. It doesn't involve high scoring games with no defense.

I agree but the problem for us is right now we are not a great defensive team, and unless we find another shot blocker...with Bonner and Fin starting we just are not gonna be a top 3 defensive team so we are gonna have to outscore teams.

mogrovejo
01-16-2009, 12:57 AM
I agree but the problem for us is right now we are not a great defensive team, and unless we find another shot blocker...with Bonner and Fin starting we just are not gonna be a top 3 defensive team so we are gonna have to outscore teams.

Currently the Spurs are a top 5 defensive team in the WC. I predict that Bowen and Thomas will be worked into the rotation and play more minutes than they've been getting. The Spurs will be the best or the 2nd best (depending on the medical situation in Houston) defensive team in the WC by the end of the season.

They have no chance of being a better defensive team than the Eastern powerhouses. But they can win the EC due to their superior defense, rebounding and grind-out offense.

daslicer
01-16-2009, 01:51 AM

:lol Yeah we will get to see the return of 2 out of 3 all-nba first team scrubs in Vujabitch,Walton, Farmar. Dr House you are straight up dumbass but thats nothing new unfortunately your not as bright as your tv character.

Cry Havoc
01-16-2009, 02:55 AM
The Lakers SHOULDN'T be scared of the Spurs. You can't go into a playoff series (assuming these teams survive the crazy Western Conference) thinking the other team is scary or better than you.

The Lakers SHOULD respect the fact that there are now players in the Spurs lineup to erase their primary weakness last year -- vast offensive droughts. I don't see that happening with Mason and Hill on the court, not to mention a healthy Manu. This is a team that not too long ago ran Phoenix (Phoenix! THE prototype for an offensive juggernaut!) out of the building in the playoffs (twice!) by dominating on offense.

There are players on BOTH teams that are difficult to guard. The Lakers don't have a prayer of stopping Parker. If Manu's hot, he's undefendable. Duncan in the playoffs... well... we know what kind of force he is. Throw in Mason and Hill, and a team that turns the ball over... well... never, and you realize that this is a championship caliber team.

And likewise, Bowen can only limit Kobe, at best. Gasol is killer if his jumper is dropping (and it always is against us) and the Lakers assortment of players will inevitably be there. I don't know if Odom will be the force that he has been though, and I think a lot of Laker fans are hoping Bynum will pick up the slack, but Odom is the worst mismatch we have, if he declines, it will be big for San Antonio.

It's a chess match. It's not about fear. It's about respecting your opponent enough to know that in a playoff series you have to go 100% the entire series and leave it all out there.

polandprzem
01-16-2009, 03:13 AM
U kiddin' ?

That's just wrong article

Spork KIller
01-16-2009, 03:48 AM

Wel said, these bitches don't stand a chance against the Lakers...they need miracle shots to beat teams better than them (Lakers, Suns)

ChumpDumper
01-16-2009, 04:21 AM
God, this must be killing you.

Look at you squirm.

Biggems
01-16-2009, 09:50 AM
The Lakers absolutely should not be "scared" of the Spurs. They're a better team than the Spurs and will have HCA in the playoffs if they are to meet, SA has lost 5 straight in Staples Center. I will say the Spurs present the best chance in the WC to knock off the Spurs, but the Lakers should not be scared of them at all. If anything, given last years playoffs, it's vice versa.

very interesting analysis.....:rollin

btw, i have done this same miscue in previous posts....a lot of us have

Rummpd
01-16-2009, 10:29 AM
The media and public swooned Lakers should be scared of the Spurs! Why simply because when Spurs are healthy and motivated they, not the Lakers, are the superior team.

Rummpd
01-16-2009, 10:33 AM
The Lakers supposed dominance is a travesty as the media continues to discount how badly Manu was hurt and do not bring up of the insane non call on Barry's shot etc.

In truth the Spurs healthy are more than a match for the Lakers and will prove it when it counts again and again.

TheDarkSide.
01-16-2009, 10:36 AM
The spurs outscored the lakers in the 100's. I was surprised and if i were a laker that right there would scare me, spurs will only get better.