PDA

View Full Version : After seeing Mason on Kobe. . .

Ronaldo McDonald
01-15-2009, 12:46 PM
is Bowen now a tradeable asset (for that big everyone keeps talking about)? Would anyone even want him?

We have enough depth with Fin, Mason and George Hill at the guard and small forward positions IMO.

TheMACHINE
01-15-2009, 12:46 PM
ill give u walton for him

Ronaldo McDonald
01-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Bill Walton is in his 50's isn't he?

That's the only walton big i can think of.

Ronaldo McDonald
01-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Sorry, guys.

Just saw a thread like this at the bottome of page.

xtremesteven33
01-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Are you crazy? Mason did nothing to make me believe that he can be half the defender Bowen is on Kobe.

Bowen didnt guard Kobe much last night but for the few minutes he did you could see he was up to his old tricks again. I believe he got Kobe to make 2 turnovers. Bowen is one of our must clutch players on the team. I wouldnt trade him for another Big. thats for sure.

leemajors
01-15-2009, 01:03 PM
i thought mason did pretty well. kobe hit a lot of difficult shots (like that last three) and he stayed in front of him for the most part, and usually contested the shot. that's about all you can do. kobe's gonna score no matter who is on him.

Fabbs
01-15-2009, 01:05 PM
The three pointer by Kome to give the Flamers the lead was Mason napping, pure and simple.

And Finley goes before Bowen goes. Sheesh.

romad_20
01-15-2009, 01:09 PM
In the playoffs, Mason will foul out by halftime is he's guarding Kobe. They will call anything on him because he doesn't have the rep that Bowen had. Now, saying that, I don't think Bowen is going anywhere because he will come in and play big minutes on the opposition's team best wing or 3.

Udoka can leave but we should keep Bowen through this year. I think he may retire after this year anyway.

KaiRMD1
01-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Are they resting Bowen for the playoffs or something? I don't normally like to see Bruce on the bench for a long period of time when he could be guarding somebody like Kobe.

EricB
01-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Mason made Kobe work wich is all you can ask for, but he did ok. Gave him a bit too much space IMO.

Bowen is still too valuable to this team to cut,trade, or waive.

xtremesteven33
01-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Mason did a decent job on Kobe. About as good as any average defender. He stayed in front of him. Thats all you can ask from an average defender.

Bruce is not your ordinary defender. PJ calls him "Edward Scissorhands" for a reason. Hes pesky,annoying,tough,strong,long and crafty. If anybody knows Kobes tendencies and watches tape on Bryant its Bowen.

I love last night how Kobe started to back down on Bruce right above the free throw line and Bruce "took the chair" from underneath him and Kobe fumbled the ball and Manu took it down the other end for a dunk.

Things like that make you see how valuable Bruce is to the Spurs.

td4mvp21
01-15-2009, 01:24 PM
We still need Bruce against Kobe and you know what? Pop knows that.

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Mason did a little better than expected, but Bowen is still the best on the ball defender the Spurs have. Last night was Pop playing mad scientist and experimenting to see exactly what the new guys could do against Kobe. Come the playoffs though we'll see more Bruce, with whom Pop is taking an Horry-like approach this year. Having the depth to bring Bruce off the bench adds a whole new wrinkle to the chess match. They can do things like they did last night where Bruce can stay rested and out of any potential foul trouble when the Lakers are focusing more on feeding the ball to their guys on the block, and send him in fresh and ready when it becomes "Kobe time".

superbigtime
01-15-2009, 01:39 PM
No way is Bowen going anywhere! He is one of the best defenders in the league. He is also clutch shooter over and over again. He may be underutilized this year at the "expense" of getting more minutes for Mason, but believe me he will have a major role in the playoffs. I bet he will see more PT in the next Lakers game AT L.A. You just don't trade a player like Bruce away after all he has done and is still capable of. He ain't making much and we wouldn't get much for him anyway. Bruuuuuce!

pawe
01-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Bowen will not be traded because he will be on Kobe in the playoffs.
It's all about experimenting and learning during the regular season.

sa_butta
01-15-2009, 02:19 PM
is Bowen now a tradeable asset (for that big everyone keeps talking about)? Would anyone even want him?

We have enough depth with Fin, Mason and George Hill at the guard and small forward positions IMO.
Would you still say that if we lost the game? This game could have gone either way, but Bowen's defense on Kobe will be crutial in a close playoff game. There are other ways to get a big in here.

SenorSpur
01-15-2009, 02:20 PM
Are you crazy? Mason did nothing to make me believe that he can be half the defender Bowen is on Kobe.

Bowen didnt guard Kobe much last night but for the few minutes he did you could see he was up to his old tricks again. I believe he got Kobe to make 2 turnovers. Bowen is one of our must clutch players on the team. I wouldnt trade him for another Big. thats for sure.

+1 x 100

DrHouse
01-15-2009, 02:24 PM
You guys are crazy. You NEED Bowen in the playoffs specifically to guard Kobe. Mason will get no respect from the refs.

Allanon
01-15-2009, 02:27 PM

Hahah, I agree.

Kobe scored damn near 30 points on 58% shooting on Mason, I wouldn't exactly call that stopping Kobe.

If Kobe got it in his mind last night to take the last shot, I don't think Mason could have stopped him. But no, Kobe has to be the team leader and share the ball....sometimes I wish the Ballhog Kobe was back.

DROB4EVER
01-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Mason is good at defending on ball but he allowed Kobe to get the ball way to easy! Remember the sideline 3 pointer, Mason just let him catch and shoot and barely got a hand up, good D starts before the guy gets the ball.

tmtcsc
01-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Sometimes, playing good D just means making the opposing player work hard for his shots. If they go in, they go in but at least you made that person work for it. I thought Kobe was way too comfortable last night at times. He casually dribbled the ball in front of Mason and pulled up for a long 3. JUST LIKE HE DID THE NIGHT BEFORE AGAINST HOUSTON.

Next time, hopefully Mason gets up on him and makes him think about his shot a little more. Don't give him that much room.

z0sa
01-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Hahah, I agree.

Kobe scored damn near 30 points on 58% shooting on Mason, I wouldn't exactly call that stopping Kobe.

If Kobe got it in his mind last night to take the last shot, I don't think Mason could have stopped him. But no, Kobe has to be the team leader and share the ball....sometimes I wish the Ballhog Kobe was back.

I doubt he'd have done better over a double team.

mudyez
01-15-2009, 03:52 PM
I think mason is a pretty good defender, but after all Bowen still is a great defender even while he lost a little bit!

I like our options with manu and mason plus a guy like bowen zu really make the difference on that end of the court.

that said, I agree, that its a little bit lie with Horry: saving him for die PO's, while he will be the major weapon against the T-Macs, Pauls, Kobes and LeBrons...yeah, exactely in that order...:)

angelbelow
01-15-2009, 03:55 PM
hard to say, we may need him.

Brazil
01-15-2009, 03:56 PM
No way we can win a 7 series without a lot of minutes of Bowen on Kobe... no fucking way, forget about it. Even for a decent big, trading Bowen would be a huge mistake.

WayOutWest
01-15-2009, 04:03 PM
As a Lakers fan I would say: "Please replace Bowen with Mason on defense vs Kobe." Kobe would destroy Mason, I think some of you are letting Mason spectacular shot at the end cloud your judgement regrading his defense. There is nothing Mason can offer on defense against Kobe where as Bowen is a pain in Kobe's butt. Mason is one of the MANY guys in the NBA that Kobe looks like he can score on any time he feels like it where as Bowen puts something in Kobe's head that he has to prove something and it takes him out of his regular "team" game IMO.

That being said, I don't know if it was by design or just Manu thinking for himself but those LATE double teams really bothered Kobe and caused two turn overs. Kobe is used to seeing a double team come at him and he's learned to find the open man but when the double comes late, after Kobe has started his move, it seems to throw him and the Lakers off. Throws Kobe off because he's worried about the second defender and the Lakers are thrown off because they are in transition defense/offensive rebounding mode when Kobe starts his move instead of being ready to receive the ball for a shot.

hater
01-15-2009, 04:04 PM

we would not get any kind of decent big for Bowen. Unless we trade him to a contender and we do NOT want Bowen in a contending opposing team. beleive me

Obstructed_View
01-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Mason's individual defense on Kobe was VERY good. Fabbs, you're an idiot as usual; Kobe took that three because Mason was watching for the pick and backing off to keep Kobe from going past him. The Spurs basically had one double to throw at Kobe, and if you recall, they used it wisely.

EricB
01-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Mason's individual defense on Kobe was VERY good. Fabbs, you're an idiot as usual; Kobe took that three because Mason was watching for the pick and backing off to keep Kobe from going past him. The Spurs basically had one double to throw at Kobe, and if you recall, they used it wisely.

Exactly, while I thought he gave him a tad too much room on his shots, alot of Kobe's makes were tough contested shots that Bowen himself couldn't have done much better on.

Obstructed_View
01-15-2009, 04:34 PM
while I thought he gave him a tad too much room on his shots.

Kobe's a pick your poison player. He's going to score, and you'd better respect his ability to get past you and go to the rack. I'd have liked to have seen him shoot a lower percentage, but considering that he didn't fucking miss a shot last year in the playoffs against Bowen and Udoka, Mason should get a medal for his defense last night, particularly considering how bad Mason's defense was at the beginning of the season. I expected Kobe to feast on him, and Roger stepped up and held his own.

FreeMason
01-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemason nnnnnnnn

EricB
01-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Kobe's a pick your poison player. He's going to score, and you'd better respect his ability to get past you and go to the rack. I'd have liked to have seen him shoot a lower percentage, but considering that he didn't fucking miss a shot last year in the playoffs against Bowen and Udoka, Mason should get a medal for his defense last night, particularly considering how bad Mason's defense was at the beginning of the season. I expected Kobe to feast on him, and Roger stepped up and held his own.

I'd have preferred he forced him into Duncan, but agreed, on that the best way to defend him is for him to shoot one of those off balance 20 footers that takes the rest of his team out of its offense.

DrHouse
01-15-2009, 04:49 PM

Kobe played a perfect game last night. The Spurs should look at the tape as a prime example of how NOT to guard Kobe Bryant because he was able to setup all his teammates and still score 30 pts.

Obstructed_View
01-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Kobe played a perfect game last night. The Spurs should look at the tape as a prime example of how NOT to guard Kobe Bryant because he was able to setup all his teammates and still score 30 pts.

If Kobe'd played a perfect game, the Lakers would have won. The Spurs used a single double team right at the end with the game on the line and forced Kobe to make the wrong decision. That's the perfect way to guard him. The three pointer he took was ill-advised, it just happened to go in.

DrHouse
01-15-2009, 04:56 PM
If Kobe'd played a perfect game, the Lakers would have won. The Spurs used a single double team right at the end with the game on the line and forced Kobe to make the wrong decision. That's the perfect way to guard him. The three pointer he took was ill-advised, it just happened to go in.

I hope Pop thinks his team played good D on Kobe because if that continues the Lakeshow will send you packing again 4-1.

TheMACHINE
01-15-2009, 04:57 PM

TheMACHINE
01-15-2009, 04:59 PM

so ur gonna only double team Kobe in the last possesion. Your thinking in hindsight. You guys won by one point and you think thats the way to stop Kobe? Fine, guard him the way you did last night...let him make 30 points with that many assist.

SA210
01-15-2009, 04:59 PM

I agree. Mason is awesome, but no Bowen.

I don't care what anyone says, Bowen should still be starting. Someone has to be blind to have not seen Kobe have his way with Bowen off the floor. As soon as Bruce came in Kobe was completely silenced.

The commentators were talking up Kobe as unstoppable and all of a sudden Bruce got on him and Kobe didn't do jack, but the commentators didn't happen to talk about that, of course.

Then Pop, of course, in the 4th goes away from Manu when he was hot and doesn't put Bowen on Kobe and the Lakers made a comeback. We won by one, but come on, we were so close to losing that game. :bang

TheMACHINE
01-15-2009, 05:01 PM
I agree. Mason is awesome, but no Bowen.

I don't care what anyone says, Bowen should still be starting. Someone has to be blind to have not seen Kobe have his way with Bowen off the floor. As soon as Bruce came in Kobe was completely silenced.

The commentators were talking up Kobe as unstoppable and all of a sudden Bruce got on him and Kobe didn't do jack, but the commentators didn't happen to talk about that, of course.

Then Pop, of course, in the 4th goes away from Manu when he was hot and doesn't put Bowen on Kobe and the Lakers made a comeback. We won by one, but come on, we were so close to losing that game. :bang

Exactly, thats why i dont get why some of ur spurs buddies think that was actually good defense on Kobe last night. yes, the last possesion worked, but are you guys gonna wait for a 1 point game to do that.

Ronaldo McDonald
01-15-2009, 05:07 PM

Any reasonable, open shot in the last few seconds of a game by Kobe is good IMO. Mason, I realize, was watching for a screen, but you don't leave him that open, even as far as Kobe was. IMO, you make him drive, funnel him towards Duncan, or make him put the ball on the floor and do something. Ithink he much less comfortable doing that. I mean, I can't remember ever seeing Kobe make a game winning layup - they're all shots from 15+ feet.

A shot like that is in 75% of time, and prob. even higher in the PO's.

Obstructed_View
01-15-2009, 05:07 PM
I hope Pop thinks his team played good D on Kobe because if that continues the Lakeshow will send you packing again 4-1.

Only if Manu's injured again. Letting the Lakers shoot 57 percent was the problem. Most of the Lakers' damage was done in the post. The Spurs play better post defense and close out the three point line and Kobe could score 40 and it wouldn't have mattered.

DrHouse
01-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Only if Manu's injured again. Letting the Lakers shoot 57 percent was the problem. Most of the Lakers' damage was done in the post. The Spurs play better post defense and close out the three point line and Kobe could score 40 and it wouldn't have mattered.

How can they play better post defense with the players they have? Other than Duncan neither Thomas nor Bonner can stop Bynum and Gasol.

It's a personnel issue. Not a strategy or effort issue.

Allanon
01-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Somebody else mentioned it to me, Kobe was only 3 rebounds shy of a triple double.

So he was able to score 29 points 58% FG, grab 7 rebounds and still had time to hand out 10 assists.

I think it's safe to say Bowen bothers him a bit more than Mason.

mystargtr34
01-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Kobe did hit some pretty tough shots, but all in all it was a little bit easy for him - Mason is a capable defender, but not against a guy like Kobe.

Usually Kobe struggles against guys with a bit more size and length than he has, something which Mason doesnt have. On numerous occasions Kobe just faked to drive and pulled up from 18 feet and there wasnt a damn thing Mason could do about it but put his hand up no higher than Kobe's chin.

He's ok for stretches in the game, but he has to work more on denying Kobe the ball. I still thought Bowen could have been used alot more last night given that Finley didnt really provide anything.

HarlemHeat37
01-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Bowen is being saved for the playoffs..

I think that's pretty clear considering that Finley gets more minutes than him in many games where Fin struggles, and where we need D..I know Pop plays favorites with Finley, but he's obviously close with Bruce as well..

DrHouse
01-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Well with Bruce in the game you're basically playing 4/5 on offense. Yes he will limit Kobe more than Mason, but Kobe doesn't necessarily need to score for the Lakers to win like he used to have to do.

TheDarkSide.
01-15-2009, 07:40 PM
a little too high off the mason performance i see...bruce bowen is not going anywhere. NO.

Ditty
01-15-2009, 08:36 PM
bowen for raja bell

sprrs
01-15-2009, 10:00 PM

At the very least, Mason can be on Kobe and Bruce can completely shut down whichever other Laker is starting to get hot. As has been said before, Kobe is going to get his, but we can stop the other guys with a little ingenuity.

exstatic
01-15-2009, 11:37 PM
Our transition defense is worse and our rotations in the half court are worse, and it's because Bowen is playing fewer minutes. The only few possessions against Orlando that we strung together stops was when Pop turned Bowen loose on Hedo.