PDA

View Full Version : Mark Cuban needs to STFU

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Karl to Cuban: Leave my players alone
Coach angry after Mavericks owner confronted Smith
By Aaron J. Lopez, Rocky Mountain News (Contact), Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Published January 14, 2009 at 10:59 a.m.

Nuggets coach George Karl loves Mark Cuban as an owner.

Doesn't think too much of him as an interactive fan.

"In general, I think Mark is good for the game," Karl said Wednesday. "He's always, I think, trying to make the league better. He's had the courage to take on the league office and the referees. I think all that's good, but don't mess with my players."

Upset at Nuggets guard J.R. Smith for throwing an elbow at Mavericks swingman Antoine Wright late in the second quarter Tuesday night, Cuban confronted Smith as the teams left the court at halftime.

In an e-mail sent to the Rocky Mountain News early Wednesday morning, Cuban talked about the circumstances surrounding the exchange.

"I do take exception with players throwing elbows that could have severely injured one of our players," Cuban wrote. "I was very cordial in letting Mr. Smith know that I will be turning it into the league, and I expected him to be suspended for it."

An NBA spokesman said league officials are reviewing Smith's flying elbow as well as Cuban's actions during and after the game.

Smith, who left the team's practice court without talking with reporters Wednesday, tried to extend an olive branch to Cuban after the game by sending him a pair of autographed shoes.

"I sent them back, saying he should sell them, if you could get anything for them, to help pay for the fine he was going to face," Cuban wrote.

Karl didn't expect the 23-year-old shooting guard to face disciplinary action.

"I think this is a lot of . . . Cuban just going off on something that happens almost every game," Karl said. "There was no contact. It wasn't even close. It was more of a . . . 'He hit me, I'm showing him. I'm not stepping down.' But nothing happened."

Cuban, no stranger to fines, suspensions or controversy since he bought the Mavericks in 2000, scoffed at that logic.

"I have a lot of respect for George, but it's a shame that he thinks it's just part of the game to throw elbows anywhere near another player's head. It's not," Cuban wrote after reading Karl's comments.

"There are sportsmanship rules that specifically prevent it. I don't think it's very good for the game if guys are throwing elbows above the shoulders at each other and justifying it by saying they missed.

"For comparison, there are rules against elbows to the head in MMA (mixed martial arts); it's considered too dangerous. The last thing we need is a player throwing an elbow thinking he wouldn't make contact, and severely injuring another player."

In his earlier e-mail, Cuban said he did not believe he was out of line talking to Smith.

"I have conversations with a lot of players," he said. "Often. It's no big deal. . . . It happens pretty much every game. All very cordial."

Karl wasn't buying it.

"Stay away from my players, stay off the court, don't get involved," Karl said. "Don't tell me you've done it before. If you've done it before, it was wrong before and it's wrong now.

"If you want to interact, interact with the league office and interact with your own players, but don't mess with my players. There's no room for it. If this was a normal fan, he would have been banned from the building and maybe not ever let back in the game. When the game starts, he is a fan. After the game, he's an owner, but during the game, he's a fan."

Cuban clearly was an unhappy fan after the Nuggets' 99-97 victory at the Pepsi Center.

The deciding points came on two free throws by Nuggets guard Chauncey Billups, who was fouled by Jason Terry with 2.2 seconds remaining.

Mavericks players and coaches argued Billups kicked out his leg, drawing contact with Terry.

After the game, Cuban was seen yelling and pointing as he walked off the court, but he said the referees were not the target of his anger.

"That last call on Chauncey could have gone either way," Cuban wrote. "I was talking to someone else (with the Nuggets) who was quite clear in their pleasure of their team winning the game and mocking the fact they got away with the calls."

By beating the Mavericks for the third time this season, the Nuggets (26-13) also walked away with the head-to-head tiebreaker against Dallas (22-16).

Regardless of playoff seeding, neither team is likely to back down when the season series concludes March 27 in Dallas.

Maybe they can play that game in an MMA octagon.

Mark Cuban can't get mad at other team's players who throw elbows when the Mavericks are the team with Josh Howard and Jason Terry.

LEONARD
01-15-2009, 01:16 PM
Yesterday called...

NuGGeTs-FaN
01-15-2009, 01:27 PM
i love seeing GK stand up for JR Smith. It's a good sign :smokin

dirk4mvp
01-15-2009, 01:30 PM
i love seeing GK stand up for JR Smith. It's a good sign :smokin

Yeah. What a classy and respectful human being JR Smith has proven to be :rolleyes

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Yeah. What a classy and respectful human being JR Smith has proven to be :rolleyes

yeah, Dallas is full of classy respectful human beings. Josh Howard thinks the national anthem doesn't apply to him and Jason Kidd beat his wife. It's a team full of choir boys Mark Cuban has assembled.

dirk4mvp
01-15-2009, 01:46 PM
yeah, Dallas is full of classy respectful human beings. Josh Howard thinks the national anthem doesn't apply to him and Jason Kidd beat his wife. It's a team full of choir boys Mark Cuban has assembled.

Is there a national anthem rule everybody in america is not aware of but you?

How many lives has any Dallas Maverick player taken?

monosylab1k
01-15-2009, 01:46 PM

Those are choir boy offenses compared to vehicular manslaughter.

Findog
01-15-2009, 01:48 PM

Josh Howard deserves criticism for many things, but not being patriotic isn't among them. And why are you calling out Jason Kidd, since he wore a Suns uniform and lived in the Valley when that happened?

If you want to play that game, Duhmare' has to be one of the biggest douchebags and losers in the league.

dirk4mvp
01-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Those are choir boy offenses compared to vehicular manslaughter.

DUNCANownsKOBE hangs out with Gino.

Findog
01-15-2009, 01:50 PM

Don't you remember that thread where Gino threatened to kick my ass in order to stand up for our brave fighting men and women? They're fighting for our freedom, so we can have the freedom to salute the flag, whether we want to or not.

monosylab1k
01-15-2009, 01:51 PM

"You better salute that goddamn flag! America is the great land that gave all of us the right to be a reckless driver and send our friends flying through the windshield of our car to their death! God Bless America and no place else!"

I can totally see Gino thinking exactly that, which is kind of scary.

de Soto
01-15-2009, 01:52 PM

How many lives has any Dallas Maverick player taken?

We can only guess. Just because no one has been apprehended yet doesn't mean that they are any more decent than they appear to be...

Indazone
01-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Mutumbo needs to play the entire game vs the Mavs

duncan228
01-15-2009, 07:34 PM
No suspension for Smith in feud with Cuban (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-smith-cubanfeud&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Findog
01-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Does anybody have a youtube of Smith throwing the elbow?

duncan228
01-15-2009, 07:42 PM
b-dX-e8KzIw

Findog
01-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks.

How is that not a fine? He didn't connect, so no suspension, but the intention was there.

td4mvp21
01-15-2009, 07:56 PM
A thug bitch on the Nuggets? You don't say...

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-15-2009, 07:57 PM
If you want to play that game, Duhmare' has to be one of the biggest douchebags and losers in the league.

No argument there.

sribb43
01-15-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm surprised JR Smith didnt try to run over and kill Antonie Wright with his car after the game

Rogue
01-15-2009, 10:21 PM
cuban intends to care everything for his team but he usually doesn't manage to do so.

I appreciate his atitude to his team but his way needs adjusting.

Findog
08-01-2009, 12:13 AM
I'm surprised JR Smith didnt try to run over and kill Antonie Wright with his car after the game

:lmao

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-01-2009, 12:17 AM

Post of the thread.

pauls931
08-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Josh Howard deserves criticism for many things, but not being patriotic isn't among them. And why are you calling out Jason Kidd, since he wore a Suns uniform and lived in the Valley when that happened?

He probably wasn't following the suns during the Kidd era...

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-01-2009, 10:43 AM
lol Suns fan that's never been to Phoenix.

pauls931
08-01-2009, 10:48 AM
lol Suns fan that's never been to Phoenix.

You don't have a clue.... (been to suns games in pho, seattle, salt lake, san antonio). Ironically every game I went to they lost... But I didn't ponder how how shitty their PG was and bash them afterwards... But it's clear you're a Spurs homer using a Suns troll.

Culburn369
08-01-2009, 10:51 AM
(been to suns games in pho, seattle, salt lake, san antonio). Ironically every game I went to they lost

lol...real kick in the shorts, eh, Pauls?

pauls931
08-01-2009, 10:53 AM
lol...real kick in the shorts, eh, Pauls?

LOL, In Pho it was the Sonics back with Payton and Kemp.
Same in seattle...
In Utah Malone and Stockton did them in.
In San Antonio Parker and Duncan killed em.

I need to learn my lesson and buy some tickets for when they play a crappy team. One thing that sucked was KJ was injured every game I went to so I never got to see him play. Did get to see Barkley get ejected in Utah.

Culburn369
08-01-2009, 11:10 AM
LOL, In Pho it was the Sonics back with Payton and Kemp.
Same in seattle...
In Utah Malone and Stockton did them in.
In San Antonio Parker and Duncan killed em.

I need to learn my lesson and buy some tickets for when they play a crappy team. One thing that sucked was KJ was injured every game I went to so I never got to see him play. Did get to see Barkley get ejected in Utah.

No, I missed that ejection.

I drove across to The Forum 20 years ago and made damn sure it was a crappy team.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Pauls, I hope you don't take me seriously, it's just the internet.

But I had a weird streak going. Everytime I went to a Suns game and ordered a mint chocolate chip cold stone thing at half time, the Suns won. I was 17-0 at this entering game 6 of the WCF against Dallas. At halftime the Suns were up big, and I realized I left my wallet in my car. My friend tells me, "I'm not gonna loan you money cause of that stupid superstition," and the rest is history. I was mad for two minutes until I realized how dumb it would be to blame him for the loss.

The next season, they lost the first game I attended where I ate a cold stone bowl :lmao

Don't ask me why I told that story, you saying they lost every game you've attended reminded me of that.

pauls931
08-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Pauls, I hope you don't take me seriously, it's just the internet.

But I had a weird streak going. Everytime I went to a Suns game and ordered a mint chocolate chip cold stone thing at half time, the Suns won. I was 17-0 at this entering game 6 of the WCF against Dallas. At halftime the Suns were up big, and I realized I left my wallet in my car. My friend tells me, "I'm not gonna loan you money cause of that stupid superstition," and the rest is history. I was mad for two minutes until I realized how dumb it would be to blame him for the loss.

The next season, they lost the first game I attended where I ate a cold stone bowl :lmao

Don't ask me why I told that story, you saying they lost every game you've attended reminded me of that.

Dude, your posts keep me awake at night! :toast