PDA

View Full Version : LA Times: Lakers Impress Rival Coach Gregg Popovich

duncan228
01-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Lakers impress rival coach Gregg Popovich (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spw-lakerweb-spurs16-2009jan16,0,623296.story)
San Antonio gets the win, but the Spurs' coach comes away with an appreciation for what the Lakers are doing this season, as he credits Phil Jackson.
By Broderick Turner

Reporting from San Antonio -- His team won and yet San Antonio Coach Gregg Popovich still is impressed by what the Lakers are, what they have become and what they can be.

Popovich had heard so much about the Lakers, about their talent, depth and drive to win an NBA championship after losing to the Boston Celtics in the 2008 NBA Finals.

He credits Lakers Coach Phil Jackson for molding the Lakers into a determined group, a team focused on being NBA champions.

"The first thing you see is a team that believes," Popovich said. "Phil has got them to the point where they believe they're the best team in the league. They're a hungry team, so they are going to be more serious from the very beginning.

"In having not won in the Finals last year, they want to come in this year and make a statement early. I think that sort of confidence and that edge is there. Where it had to be sort of learned and groomed and established last year, they came in with it this year. So I think that's a little bit different for them."

The Lakers added Pau Gasol to the mix last season in February but lost Andrew Bynum and Trevor Ariza to injuries.

Now Bynum and Ariza are back, healthy and productive.

That's something not lost on Popovich.

"I think they are just jelling as a group, continuing to get better and better as a group," Popovich said. "Offensively, they know each other very well. Defensively, that's always the toughest part, getting everybody to commit defensively. And I think as the year continues, that's their emphasis obviously. They'll become more and more consistent in that area, because everybody is on them about it all the time."

Popovich laughed, knowing that the media and Lakers fans have looked for holes, for stories about the Lakers.

He even acknowledged that Jackson has used the media to get his point across to his players at times.

"He has a great way of getting a message to a player through you guys," Popovich said, smiling, noting that he has done the same. "He's the best at that, that's for sure. You guys coach those guys for him."

The Spurs and Lakers have been rivals over the last 10 years, and Wednesday night's game did nothing to dispel that.

The Spurs have won four NBA championships during that span (1999, 2003, '05 and '07) and the Lakers have won three (2000, '01 and '02).

They have met in the playoffs six times in the last 10 years, with the Lakers having won the series four times, including a 4-1 series win over the Spurs in the 2008 Western Conference finals.

Wednesday night's game was more of the same tense moments.

In a seesaw game of big shots and big plays, the Spurs had to do all they could to pull out a 112-111 victory over the Lakers at the AT&T Center.

"We really look forward to these games," Popovich said. "I think the guys respect each other. We've beaten each other up a lot over the years and the two teams have won a pretty good number of championships, maybe more than any other two. So they respect each other, they go at each other hard and enjoy the victories over each other. But I think it's all done in a really great way."

DrHouse
01-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Popovich is the best.

MoSpur
01-15-2009, 02:52 PM
If it were Phil Jackson being interviewed about Pop, it would be a totally different article.

sonic21
01-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Popovich is the best.

so you agree pop > phil? :stirpot:

DrHouse
01-15-2009, 03:23 PM
It's debatable for sure. I think LAL would have just as many rings had we swapped out Jackson for Popovich.

mrspurs
01-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Pop knows who the better team is.

gingerwave
01-15-2009, 03:30 PM
POP being humble.

xtremesteven33
01-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Phil is a ***hole and everyone knows it.

spurs50_
01-15-2009, 03:49 PM
I agree, Phil would've never said what Pop did. Phil can do so much with an allstar center that landed in his lap....thanks to a 'trade " that took place in a dark alley.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-15-2009, 04:09 PM
If it were Phil Jackson being interviewed about Pop, it would be a totally different article.

True...Pop definitely has a much more humble and gracious approach, but both coaches share a similar competitiveness. That's where the similarities end I'd say.

Jackson is never really all that gracious in victory, or defeat. A loss is always blamed on the refs, the free throw line, the shortcomings of one of his players. He rarely credits the other team for truly beating his guys.

Pop is a lot quicker to credit the merits of the opposition and the opposing coach, and doesn't call out individual players with the media, or the refs, etc.

Phil Jackson is a definite jerk...but also a goood, if not opportunistic, coach.

Ronaldo McDonald
01-15-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm sick of phil and his giant ego.

Phil Jackson's ego has been manufactured by Michael Jordan and Kobe. Every time he uses it, he should give both of them something out of his own pocket. He may be able to pay Kobe back in blowjobs, who knows?

Obstructed_View
01-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Pop would never have let the Bulls get broken up.

galvatron3000
01-15-2009, 05:15 PM
True...Pop definitely has a much more humble and gracious approach, but both coaches share a similar competitiveness. That's where the similarities end I'd say.

Jackson is never really all that gracious in victory, or defeat. A loss is always blamed on the refs, the free throw line, the shortcomings of one of his players. He rarely credits the other team for truly beating his guys.

Pop is a lot quicker to credit the merits of the opposition and the opposing coach, and doesn't call out individual players with the media, or the refs, etc.

Phil Jackson is a definite jerk...but also a goood, if not opportunistic, coach.

Their styles are definately different and I love Pop. I think I'd like Phil as my coach more if I was a young guy but I'd love a guy like Pop as I got older and mature. Pop is a real guy and being allowed to coach every single player due to the examples of Robinson and Duncan is just wonderful.

Ronaldo McDonald
01-15-2009, 05:32 PM

Yep, Pippen, Jordan, Rodman, and everyone one else would still be together, and they'd still be winning 'chips. And Dennis Rodman would still be doing his wrestling reality shows at the same time, and Pippen would still be doing his crappy commentating on NBA Fastbreak, possibly his own games. Popovich would have made sure they never new the concept of retirement, made sure every book or t.v. show they saw had that word deleted or censored before they saw it, and if they knew heard of it before, he'd take them all to that doctor in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind and have him erase it.

Ronaldo McDonald
01-15-2009, 05:33 PM
that is quintessential CIA right there.

FreeMason
01-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Pop a man of class even when talking about the coach who has been a giant asshole to the Spurs organization for a long time.

San Antonio fans are lucky people.

texbound
01-15-2009, 05:59 PM

What? Pop did his best in trying to break up the Bulls by sending them Dennis Rodman for Will Perdue. :toast