PDA

View Full Version : Observations from Spurs-Lakers Round 1

MarHill
01-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Well, I've read most of the posts from last night and today about the Spurs-Lakers game and I wanted to give my observation.

First of all, it was an excellent regular season game for mid January. Both teams played at a very high level and the game could have gone either way.

Next, this was not a defensive game. From the 1st quarter...both teams come out hot (especially Gasol) and it was 30-29 SA at the end of the quarter and 63-61 SA at the half. So for Spurs fans to complain about the defense last night....the flow of the game dictated it would be an offensive game. Some games are going to be like that.

The Spurs shot 57.1% from the field and 50.0% from 3 point land and the Lakers shot 56.6% from the field and 56.3% from 3 point land. The Spurs had 6 players in double figures and the Lakers had 5 players in double figures. The Lakers have the most dynamic offense in the league and it was good to see the Spurs shooting that well and match them point for point. Like I've posted many times before the Spurs have more offensive weapons this season and when they shoot like this....they have a very dynamic offense!!!

Now it was good to see Manu played like Manu last night. After hitting those first two three-pointers...it got him going! Also, the steal on Kobe at the top of the key in 1st half. Again, Manu was the X-Factor last night and if he's healthy he will be the key in order for the Spurs to win another championship even more than getting another big to play alongside Tim.

I know ST Posters...we need a big! But with no tradeable assets and other team's bigs making too much money...this is the roster the Spurs will have for the rest of the season. And in order for it to work...KT and Fab will have to play well and contribute. (Kurt will his jump shot and toughness and Fab will his smarts and passing). But, I still feel if the Spurs don't get a big by the trade deadline...I can see Horry coming back!

Most of the ST posters have written about the Lakers frontline...in particular Gasol and Bynum. Both of them had good offensive games last night. Gasol with 21 pts and 5 rebs and Bynum with 18 pts and 3 rebs. That's right those two only had 8 rebs between them and their team only outrebounded the Spurs by 1 (32-31). That will still be an issue for the Lakers along with their defensive intensity.

Lastly, I believe know that Pop knows he has a legit fourth option in Mason and he has to be in the ballgame in the fourth quarter. His ability to catch-and-shoot so quickly will help them win playoff games. You saw that Kobe denied Manu from getting the inbound pass from Bonner....there's Mason to go to out on the wing. This will make the Spurs even harder to defend especially in late 4th quarter situations.

All in all....it was a nice win for the Spurs and another game to see how far they've progressed in the season. And I'm looking forward to Spurs-Lakers Round 2 in L.A. on the 25th!

:flag:

Obstructed_View
01-15-2009, 04:46 PM
So for Spurs fans to complain about the defense last night....the flow of the game dictated it would be an offensive game. Some games are going to be like that.

The reason Spurs fans complain about the defense last night is because the Spurs lose 90 percent of games that are at that pace when they aren't getting stops, particularly against the best offensive team in the NBA. The Spurs needed some luck to win that game because they didn't play good defense.

To borrow from boxing, you don't get stand toe to toe in the middle of the ring with a puncher, especially if you aren't a puncher, at least not if you want to win.

hater
01-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Spurs can't outscore the Lakers in a 7 game series. They have a better chance than last year because of new weapons, but I don't see it happening.

Gonna have to bring the D at some point

MarHill
01-15-2009, 04:55 PM
The reason Spurs fans complain about the defense last night is because the Spurs lose 90 percent of games that are at that pace when they aren't getting stops, particularly against the best offensive team in the NBA. The Spurs needed some luck to win that game because they didn't play good defense.

To borrow from boxing, you don't get stand toe to toe in the middle of the ring with a puncher, especially if you aren't a puncher, at least not if you want to win.

Here's the thing....some games are going to be about the offense. Last night's game was one of those games.

No matter how good you are defensively...you are not going to hold great offensive teams to 80-85 points every night.

Last year...the Spurs had problems scoring outside the Big 3 and now you have more options to help the offense. And they will have to win some games in the playoffs with the offense.

They scored 133 points in Dallas, 108 points against Philly, 129 points in Minnesota and they were several other 100 point games this season. So the offense is there.

MarHill
01-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Spurs can't outscore the Lakers in a 7 game series. They have a better chance than last year because of new weapons, but I don't see it happening.

Gonna have to bring the D at some point

Hater,

I agree they will have to bring the D.

But last's night game was about the offense. And some games...The Spurs will have to score to win and they did!!

WayOutWest
01-15-2009, 06:58 PM
I know ST Posters...we need a big! But with no tradeable assets and other team's bigs making too much money...this is the roster the Spurs will have for the rest of the season.

Then I honestly don't think the Spurs will go very far in the playoffs this year. Not trying to bait or flame but IMO TD absolutely needs some consistent help in the front court. Look at the front lines of the teams they are going to have to face in the playoffs, Shaq/Amare, Okur/Boozer/Milsap, Bynum/Gasol and you still have decent front lines in Houston, New Orleans and Portland. TD needs help because even SuperManu will not be enough to offset average to above average C's and PF's that TD has to practically take on by himself. Not sure who's out there for the Spurs but most teams will have no trouble shooting over, thru, and around Bonner/Thomas/Oberto.

iggypop123
01-15-2009, 07:27 PM
Hater,

I agree they will have to bring the D.

But last's night game was about the offense. And some games...The Spurs will have to score to win and they did!!

i think he mean the playoffs. in the playoffs people dont run and gun. they walk it up the court and run a offensive set

Obstructed_View
01-16-2009, 02:07 AM
Here's the thing....some games are going to be about the offense. Last night's game was one of those games.

No matter how good you are defensively...you are not going to hold great offensive teams to 80-85 points every night.

Last year...the Spurs had problems scoring outside the Big 3 and now you have more options to help the offense. And they will have to win some games in the playoffs with the offense.

They scored 133 points in Dallas, 108 points against Philly, 129 points in Minnesota and they were several other 100 point games this season. So the offense is there.

Two of the games you cite above were double overtime games, so let's not pretend that the Spurs' offense is Paul Westhead's Nuggets, shall we?

If you want to consistently beat a great offensive team, the way to do it is to play great defense and to control the pace. I'm glad the Spurs won, but they did a good job of neither.

TheMadHatter
01-16-2009, 03:28 AM
Two of the games you cite above were double overtime games, so let's not pretend that the Spurs' offense is Paul Westhead's Nuggets, shall we?

If you want to consistently beat a great offensive team, the way to do it is to play great defense and to control the pace. I'm glad the Spurs won, but they did a good job of neither.

DET layed out the blueprint in '04. BOS followed suit in '08.

The Lakers offense can be stopped but it requires an almost godly defense to do so, which the Spurs do not possess at this moment.

baseline bum
01-16-2009, 03:47 AM
Right now it doesn't look promising, but in 07 the Spurs played the same horrible defense until about April and then flipped the switch, becoming elite on that end almost overnight. That's what it's going to take, and maybe another over-his-head postseason performance from an unlikely source like Oberto's hot-streak for the Spurs that playoff to put up #5 @ AT&T Center.

Lakers' fans shouldn't be feeling so confident right now either though. Teams that play defense that badly are always very vulnerable to the upset if they start missing a shots.

mrspurs
01-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Well said.....But if we plan of going all the way. We better pray for those 3s togo in. Once the POs start. And if we're still in it. If those 3s dont go in. We lose. No more, No less.

MarHill
01-16-2009, 11:34 AM

I understand that!

Yes I know they will have to play better defense. However, there are some games in the regular season where the offense will have to play well to win.

Those games were the case.

The Spurs have 5 guys (TD, TP, Manu, Mason, Finley) who can put the ball in the basket and games in the regular season like the Lakers game...where they will have to score to win.

z0sa
01-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Well said.....But if we plan of going all the way. We better pray for those 3s togo in. Once the POs start. And if we're still in it. If those 3s dont go in. We lose. No more, No less.

Jesus this guy is a fucking douche ... you do understand every champion of the last 5 years led the league in 3pt %... the Spurs have won 3 championships this way, so shut the fuck up.