PDA

View Full Version : How good is Parker going to be?

RobinsontoDuncan
02-28-2005, 10:11 PM
That is one impressive stat line, it seems like although Manu is a much nicer player (he makes way cooler shots) Tony has blossemed into as good if not a better clutch preformer this season. He has had most of his best games in the close ones, and has been a hero very often. At only 22 years old (almost 23 I have to wonder how good this kid is going to be.

atlfan25
02-28-2005, 10:13 PM
he's got some skillz

ShoogarBear
02-28-2005, 10:14 PM
Parker has addressed the consistency problem.

If he can make that jumper a little more reliable and the get the FT shooting to at least 70-75%, we're talking perennial All-Star.

RobinsontoDuncan
02-28-2005, 10:16 PM
I agree, his passing has also improved so, so much since he broke into this league, his first season he averaged 4.3 APG, now he had 6.3 and consistantly hits 8+.

Kori Ellis
02-28-2005, 10:18 PM
If you eliminate November from his stats, he's having a phenomenol season -- averaging over 17 points on something like 52% shooting. His penetration is key to the Spurs success, and most games he seems to be able to penetrate at will.

alisalizard
02-28-2005, 10:20 PM
i like parker a lot but he seems to get too nervous during the playoffs.

Jimcs50
02-28-2005, 10:20 PM
If you eliminate November from his stats, he's having a phenomenol season -- averaging over 17 points on something like 52% shooting. His penetration is key to the Spurs success, and most games he seems to be able to penetrate at will.

JFK would like to eliminate November too.

:)

RobinsontoDuncan
02-28-2005, 10:21 PM
I think that would be Septemeber Jim

unless you're talking about Kerry

ShoogarBear
02-28-2005, 10:22 PM
The best thing is that there are precedents for players who have come into the league without a reliable J but were still able to excel until they developed it (Magic and Michael and maybe now LBJ being the most obvious examples).

RobinsontoDuncan
02-28-2005, 10:23 PM
Michael didn't have a relaible J? I didn't know that, i thought he was a shooter.

SequSpur
02-28-2005, 10:24 PM
As long as Manu gets token allstar votes, he won't be an allstar, I guarantee that.

ShoogarBear
02-28-2005, 10:25 PM
When Michael came into the league, he was a driver and dunker. He could hit from outside as a changeup, but eveyone was content to give him those the first few years.

That fadeaway J didn't become what it was until after his first retirement.

ducks
02-28-2005, 10:26 PM
I think his d is overlooked
also he is more of a vocal leader
he really lit into bowen for not playing solid d one postion a couple of games
he is much more vocal
point was grooming him to replace rose

ducks
02-28-2005, 10:26 PM
As long as Manu gets token allstar votes, he won't be an allstar, I guarantee that.
he already got coaches votes this year
:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

Nikos
02-28-2005, 10:27 PM
If Parker would just get to the line more, make them at a higher percentage, and keep improving his 3pt shot he would be TWICE the player. Which means he could be an elite PG by improving on those areas little by little.

When he has a bad game its usually because he takes a lot of quick shots that do not drop, and he cannot compensate by getting to the FT line and converting or by hitting three pointers.

When he figures it out and improves on those three areas (frequency and % of FTs, and three pointers) he is capable of being an ELITE PG, not on the cusp, not borderline, not all star -- but elite.

I hope it happens, but there is no gauruntee it will. So far, I think Parker has improved A LOT in his finding the balance between scoring and distributing the rock to the right people, at the right time. This year he's hitting Manu and Bowen with more frequency then years past, and he's making smarter decisions with the ball for the most part.

As Kori said, from December and on he has been great.

Kori Ellis
I think his d is overlooked

True. His defense has improved tremendously this season.

timvp
If Parker isn't an All-Star next season, I'd be shocked. Good thing Pop and Tim got Parker those two million dollars this year or else he would have NO DOUBT gotten a max offer.

RobinsontoDuncan
02-28-2005, 10:28 PM
T. Parker
38 min
8-16 FG
0-2 (3pt)
3-3 FT
3 Off Reb
8 Tot Reb
10 Asst
3 TO
1 Stl
0 Blk
19 PTs

ducks
02-28-2005, 10:30 PM
I am going make a bold prediction and say tp is going to be finals mvp
he was going to be after 3 games against nets

timvp
02-28-2005, 10:30 PM

Nice use of the bold feature.

:spin

Jimcs50
02-28-2005, 10:31 PM
I think that would be Septemeber Jim

unless you're talking about Kerry

Dude, go reread your history. JFK was assassinated in Dallas on Nov 22nd.

:rolleyes

RobinsontoDuncan
02-28-2005, 10:31 PM
Yeah that's def. a bold predicition. I find it hard to bilieve that Tim wouldn't be MVP based on reputation alone if they make it to the Finals.

ducks
02-28-2005, 10:32 PM
Nice use of the bold feature.

:spin

LOL :lol :lol :lol

SequSpur
02-28-2005, 10:33 PM
If Parker isn't an All-Star next season, I'd be shocked. Good thing Pop and Tim got Parker those two million dollars this year or else he would have NO DOUBT gotten a max offer.

Exactly, I told you all he was a maxfreeagent. :drunk

RobinsontoDuncan
Dude, go reread your history. JFK was assassinated in Dallas on Nov 22nd.

:rolleyes

Of course i knew that, just checking to make sure you did there Jimbo..... :smokin (would you ever bilieve i was a history major?)

adrien
tom brady didn t get the mvp finals title this year and he had some repuatation too

TwoHandJam
02-28-2005, 10:34 PM
Parker has improved a lot this year no doubt, especially on defense. The one part of his game that worries me in the playoffs is his jumper though. Getting into the lane in the playoffs is very tough, as the Lakers proved last year and I just don't think his jumpshot is reliable. What do we do when Parker can't hit from outside and is denied penetrating to even set people up?

Flashes of last year.

What would really make Parker elite is to have a killer midrange J. He'd be unguardable.

Slomo
02-28-2005, 10:35 PM
Yeah that's def. a bold predicition. I find it hard to bilieve that Tim wouldn't be MVP based on reputation alone if they make it to the Finals.
if??????

:nope

RobinsontoDuncan
02-28-2005, 10:35 PM
Yeah, that of course is the major concern, but then, That's what Manu is for right?

ducks
02-28-2005, 10:36 PM

if both have similar numbers duncan would get it

but duncan has shared the scoreing load more this year

tp plays terrible spurs willl not win it all no matter if duncan averages 35 points a game

RobinsontoDuncan
02-28-2005, 10:36 PM
if??????

:nope
assuming it to be a cake walk would only set up for a big fall slomo

ChumpDumper
02-28-2005, 10:38 PM
Parker's going to be pretty good.

ShoogarBear
02-28-2005, 10:39 PM

Holly shit.

That was in Engilsh.

timvp
02-28-2005, 10:40 PM
Holly shit.

That was in Engilsh.

:lmao :lmao

That was in Duck.

1Parker1
02-28-2005, 10:46 PM
I love how Jim and R2D managed to throw in an argument about JFK's assasination in a thread about how great Tony Parker is going to be :lol

exstatic
02-28-2005, 10:46 PM
All Star. Book it.

ShoogarBear
02-28-2005, 10:49 PM
:lmao :lmao

That was in Duck.

It's Lent.

I'm trying to clean up the blaspheming.

Edit: f&*^, I just saw the "Engilsh".
:lol

RobinsontoDuncan
02-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Why not Parker, we both probably remember it..... :)

ducks
02-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Holly shit.

That was in Engilsh.

at night I can edit it if I am not at work working :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

RobinsontoDuncan
02-28-2005, 10:51 PM
Ducks, what do you do anyways? (please, please don't say journalism....)

ducks
02-28-2005, 10:57 PM
I am a manager of a internet cafe
I fix computers,make copies,faxes and help people do email(I know it is not hard for you but you would be surprised with 80 year olds)
I also do a little bit of html
and no I am not write papers or anything(thank god)

in yuma in the winter 125,000 people come to town
and most are 75-95 years old that have no patience and can not hear

in the winter I AM VERY BUSY at work. One week I worked 90 hours! I try to keep up with the spurs news via this website.

I also have a website that sells bird related items and this summer it is going to get a major update

ChumpDumper
02-28-2005, 11:00 PM
My guess was ESL teacher.

RobinsontoDuncan
02-28-2005, 11:00 PM
LMAO:lmao :lmao :lmao ^

where do you live Ducks?

ducks
02-28-2005, 11:01 PM
yuma,az
16 miles from cal
25 miles from mexico
2 and half hours from phoenix

ducks
02-28-2005, 11:02 PM
and NO I DO NOT SPEAK SPANISH! ENGLISH IS HARD ENOUGH!

PM5K
02-28-2005, 11:04 PM
Tony Parker is already an All-Star, he was robbed and deserved it more than Manu did.

Yes Manu is fun to watch but he isn't as good as Parker is...

ShoogarBear
02-28-2005, 11:06 PM
Now I got this image stuck in my head of ducks yelling at a bunch of 80-year-olds:

Old Guy #1: "What did he say?"
OG #2: "It sounded like 'if Pop when shooters go, so was CIA''."
OG#1: "That makes no sense! You must have heard wrong . . ."

RobinsontoDuncan
02-28-2005, 11:08 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao Lmao

1Parker1
03-01-2005, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the autobiography, Ducks :)

MaNuMaNiAc
03-01-2005, 12:41 AM
Tony Parker is already an All-Star, he was robbed and deserved it more than Manu did.

Yes Manu is fun to watch but he isn't as good as Parker is...
Debatable, but won't get into that argument again lol. Bottom line, Parker is goooooooooooooooooooooooooood!

jcrod
03-01-2005, 12:51 AM
After Manu turned it over two times, I was thinking Pop better give it to TP..........and he delivered. I also thought he deseverd the allstar nod over Manu. Not because Manu didn't deserve it, I just think you should've put the second best PG before the 4th best SG.

TP will be an allstar from here on out, Manu will be lucky to see one again. Lets hope he keeps it up all the way through the playoffs.

GerM
03-01-2005, 01:08 AM
Tony will probably improve a bit but I dont he will ever be a consistent shooter; he is already in his 4th year. I do think he will play more consistent though

About the manu thing, just my opinion but being as objective as possible(because my favorite player is manu), tony is not nearly as clutch as manu right now, he just was in the last 2 games, not in the rest of the season.

RobinsontoDuncan
03-01-2005, 07:38 AM
Shoogar says that Michael wasn't even that great a shooter until after his first retirement, so after only four years, why not TP? I think the thing to ponder is more his age then his years in the league, because he isnt 26 and in his fourth year in the League.

Rummpd
03-01-2005, 08:03 AM
Parker is almost daily making a case to be included in the group of top 3-5 PGs in NBA (very close now). That is top company with AI (plays that position now), Kidd, Nash, Marbury, Bibby all in contention.

The most telling thing is that head to head (except historically Marbury) he has done well vs. all of them at times and is still young.

With Manu and Tim he may never have the top numbers but he will be right there among the very best and is very close now.

Duncan21
03-01-2005, 08:21 AM
hes going to be best guard in the nba

smeagol
03-01-2005, 09:25 AM
The guy is quick, he is not afraid of handling the ball in crunch time, he is becoming a better rebounder with every game that goes by . . .

The thing I like the most about him is how he wiggles through deffences to make amazing layups.

If he works on his mid and long-range jumpers, he will be deadly.

TwoHandJam
03-01-2005, 09:41 AM
Tony will probably improve a bit but I dont he will ever be a consistent shooter; he is already in his 4th year. I do think he will play more consistent though

About the manu thing, just my opinion but being as objective as possible(because my favorite player is manu), tony is not nearly as clutch as manu right now, he just was in the last 2 games, not in the rest of the season.I think you're correct. Right now, Parker isn't as clutch as Manu and he isn't as mentally tough yet either. However, he's still young and improving and by the time he's Manu's age, he could be devastating.

They should be the best backcourt in the NBA soon if they aren't already.

exstatic
03-01-2005, 11:07 AM
I disagree about the shooting. Again with the poor November, but it's true. Parker shot 4/30 from 3 point land in November, or 13%. If you subtract that, he's shooting 35% from down town for the balance of the season. That's more than respectable, and enough, combined with his quicks, to propel him into the top echelon of PGs. If there is one thing I REALLY want him to work on, it's FTs. He's hit as much as 75% of his FTs in a season before, and if you translate that to this season, he'd have 19 more points, and be scoring at 17 ppg.

Nikos
03-01-2005, 11:12 AM
http://82games.com/04SAS2A.HTM

Check out Parkers shooting when taking jumpers as opposed to attacking inside. HUGE difference. The jumper has not been great this season, but when he takes it to the hole, he is usually VERY successful. If the jumper improves, and he gets to the line more he will be dynamite.

boutons
03-01-2005, 11:14 AM
"They should be the best backcourt in the NBA soon if they aren't already."

Pistons also have great backcourt, with a better backup PG in Carlos. Beno is a serviceable, reliable backup PG for an NBA rookie, I hope he becomes more aggressive and creative, which is where Arroyo has the edge.

At this point, I can't see any other Finals matchup but Spurs vs Pistons,
"best man vs the groom". :)

Rummpd
03-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Ducks should be in commercials for AFLAC.

Que Gee
03-01-2005, 02:32 PM
He's quick, he drives well to the basket...decent jump shot...But he REALLY needs to work on his passing. He drops some nice dimes here and there don't get me wrong...But there is no way he should be 20th in the league in assists! Especially when you look at some of the guys who are ahead of him, and who they play with.

whottt
03-01-2005, 02:37 PM
He's quick, he drives well to the basket...decent jump shot...But he REALLY needs to work on his passing. He drops some nice dimes here and there don't get me wrong...But there is no way he should be 20th in the league in assists! Especially when you look at some of the guys who are ahead of him, and who they play with.

The Spurs as a team rank in the top 10 in assists and are only like an APG way from being in the top 3. Tony is never going to be like Jason Kidd because he plays with Tim Duncan and our offense is still initiated through Duncan a lot of the time....and a lot of the time the Spurs make mutiple passes in which Parker might not be the primary playmaker.

Tony Parker's passing is under-rated and it has been since the day he came to this team. It's not that easy to rack up a lot of assists with the way our offense has been structured...this year you have seen Pop make Manu and Tony a bigger part of the offensive execution and it shows in their passing totals IMO...as well as the team passing totals.

whottt
03-01-2005, 02:48 PM
FWIW, in the entire NBA I rank Tony at worst in the top 5, and at best in the top 3...

IF you are just looking at scoring and passing...
I think it's like this:
1.Nash(unquestioned best PG in the NBA)
2.Marbury(lots of room for argument at me placing him second because his team doesn't win and he plays no D either)
3.AI(also lots of room for argument with AI but I think he's doing a pretty good job of it, he's a francise player)

The 4 and 5 spots are a toss up between Parker and Bibby IMO...Bibby is definitely the better shooter, I think their passing is about equal...

Parker is unquestionably the better defender...in fact I think only AI could be considered the better defensive PG.

Kidd can't defend anymore(he hasn't able to for about 3 years now), he can't shoot, he gets a lot of passes but he also gets a lot of TO's to go with them. I'm just not impressed with Kidd and I haven't been for a long time.

When you take into account both sides of the ball...I think it's really easy to put Tony in the top 3 in the NBA...Nash is so offensively superior to any other PG in the NBA this year, that to me he's the clear #1, even with his defensive liabilities...and then there's AI...and then Parker.

Best all round PG's in the NBA? The only guy I could see putting ahead of Tony is AI.

The thing is, I realize statistically my case for ranking Parker so high is weak.....but Parker and Marbury are really the only PG's that have what could be considered a go to shot...take into account Tony's D and there's just not many guards that have the total package like Parker does.

Thank god we didn't get Jason Kidd.