PDA

View Full Version : Bush To Say Goodbye Tonight

SA210
01-15-2009, 05:50 PM
I'll also post in political forum, but it's Bush's farewell and not everyone reads that forum. Hope that's cool.
-----------------------------------------

By BEN FELLER, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President George W. Bush's farewell speech is more than a goodbye to the nation that elected him twice. It is his last chance in office to define his tumultuous presidency in his own, unfiltered terms as he rides off to a quieter life.

In a goodbye address Thursday night, Bush will follow the script of Presidents Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan and Jimmy Carter and many before them: Express thanks to the country and pride in the honor of serving, wish the next president well and outline what he considers to be the biggest challenges ahead.

Bush will talk about the nation's response to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the broader security threat to the nation and what he considers to be the high points of his domestic agenda. He will address a national TV audience for about 13 minutes.

"I'm going to urge our nation to continue to engage the world with confidence -- confidence in the transformative power of freedom and liberty," Bush said Thursday in previewing his speech in a final visit to the State Department.

For presidents, parting thoughts are not about parting shots. This farewell will be no different. But Bush is proud of his record and will go out defending it.

In that sense, the goodbye address will underscore the competing accounts of his presidency one last time.

Still, said presidential counselor Ed Gillespie: "This is less about policy. This is more, I think, about the people that he has seen and the experiences that we've had together. I think he wanted to express a little bit of his gratitude."

Bush and his loyal backers see his record this way: He kept the country safe from attack after terrorism redefined his presidency, cut taxes, freed the people of Afghanistan and Iraq, reformed education, oversaw 52 straight months of job growth, acted decisively when the economy tanked, stuck to principle no matter what his poll numbers, retooled the military and improved federal crisis management after the worst U.S. natural disaster happened on his watch.

To his critics, Bush wasted the world's goodwill after the Sept. 11 attacks, got the nation into a catastrophic and avoidable Iraq war, presided over a staggering 2.6 million jobs lost in 2008, ran up debt, reacted slowly to Hurricane Katrina, did more dividing
than uniting and refused to listen to the will of the people.

Historians say the fairest assessment will come over time. Bush says accurate short-term history does not even exist.

Yet this much is also clear: The president does care about how the country views his time in office. Right now.

In essence, he has been giving legacy addresses for weeks. He has held separate events to defend his record on protecting the country, helping veterans, promoting volunteerism, appointing judges, expanding trade, reshaping the military, overhauling
education and fighting AIDS in impoverished lands.

On its Web site, the White House has even gone so far as to post "100 things Americans may not know about the Bush administration record."

The speech is expected to be Bush's last public commentary as president.

He will deliver it from the East Room of the White House, where the audience will include a few dozen people chosen for their personal stories, a practice normally reserved for a State of the Union address.

Bush has been much more reflective in the twilight of his presidency. That tone will probably emerge in his speech, just as it did for his predecessors.

Clinton said in his farewell, "I'll leave the presidency more idealistic, more full of hope than the day I arrived and more confident than ever that America's best days lie ahead."

Ronald Reagan invoked images of the shining city on the hill: "We made the city stronger. We made the city freer, and we left her in good hands. All in all, not bad, not bad at all."

And Jimmy Carter told the nation, "From the bottom of my heart, I want to express to you the gratitude I feel."

Not among that group? Bush's father, President George H.W. Bush. He never gave an official farewell address.

Life after the White House will find Bush in two homes -- his beloved ranch in Crawford, Texas, and the new home that first lady Laura Bush picked for them in an affluent Dallas neighborhood. He plans to write a book and run a new policy institute, but also will quickly get off the public stage.

"You just fade out," Bush told reporters from Texas newspapers last week. "That's fine with me. The faster the fade, the better."

http://www.woai.com/content/blogs/headlines/story/Discuss-Bush-To-Say-Goodbye/pFitut8tHkeRdCbApJwahw.cspx

tonylongoriafan
01-15-2009, 06:15 PM
but i like bush :(

CubanMustGo
01-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Dammit he better not delay the start of Smallville!

Alex Jones
01-15-2009, 07:10 PM
No one gives shit about Bush no matter what forum you post it in

SA210
01-15-2009, 07:15 PM
No one gives shit about Bush no matter what forum you post it in

haha, I'm frickin' glad he's leaving!
Don't get it twisted.

Trainwreck2100
01-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Dammit he better not delay the start of Smallville!

the cw doesn't air presidential speeches, not even the SOTU

Trainwreck2100
01-15-2009, 07:18 PM
"My fellow Americans I started out as a somewhat wealthy man, and I'm leaving as a very wealthy man. God Bless the United States of America"

BlackSwordsMan
01-15-2009, 07:18 PM
good fucking riddance

SpursGirl21
01-15-2009, 07:19 PM
haha, I'm frickin' glad he's leaving!
Don't get it twisted.

How can he leave when mentally he was never there?

mogrovejo
01-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Solid POTUS. The verdict of History will be more benevolent than the one of his peers.

jack sommerset
01-15-2009, 08:12 PM
In time Bush will go down as a good President. Just wait and see peeps. You will miss him.

baseline bum
01-15-2009, 08:40 PM
When is this fucktard speaking?

baseline bum
01-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Solid POTUS. The verdict of History will be more benevolent than the one of his peers.

Calling Bush a solid president is like saying the Mavs had a nice games 3-6 of the Finals.

Crookshanks
01-15-2009, 08:52 PM
After 4 years of The Messiah and his corrupt cronies - you'll be wishing George W. Bush was still in the White House!

Yes, he made some mistakes, but he's a great man of character and integrity and he kept this country safe for 7 years - and for that I'll be eternally grateful.

baseline bum
01-15-2009, 09:01 PM
After 4 years of The Messiah and his corrupt cronies - you'll be wishing George W. Bush was still in the White House!

Yes, he made some mistakes, but he's a great man of character and integrity and he kept this country safe for 7 years - and for that I'll be eternally grateful.

You stupid Republicans are the ones who invented the president as messiah garbage when you said anyone who disagreed with Bush hated America. You're the ones who elevated the president to God-like status of unquestioned leader, hiding behind the flag. Fuck your messiah; he trashed our country.

mogrovejo
01-15-2009, 10:53 PM
You stupid Republicans are the ones who invented the president as messiah garbage when you said anyone who disagreed with Bush hated America. You're the ones who elevated the president to God-like status of unquestioned leader, hiding behind the flag. Fuck your messiah; he trashed our country.

I did not know that FDR - the president who imprisoned American citizens in concentration camps due to their skin colour, imposed controled prices, created some of the most liberticide institutions in America (most of which still perdure till this days) and borrowed so much money from future generations of taxpayers that your grandchildren will still be paying it - was a Republican.

Bush was solid relatively to the others POTUS - or to their average quality - because most presidents are horrific. Bush was pretty bad - he was also unlucky for having a mad man like Greenspan in the Fed during his tenure - but most of the other guys are even worse. Since the WWII, there are 3 presidents I think were better than GWB: Ike (semi-decent), Reagan and Clinton (both mediocre). Bush was worse than those guys; but compared to nutjobs like LBJ, Carter, Truman or Nixon, he was a genious.

baseline bum
01-15-2009, 11:03 PM
I did not know that FDR - the president who imprisoned American citizens in concentration camps due to their skin colour, imposed controled prices, created some of the most liberticide institutions in America (most of which still perdure till this days) and borrowed so much money from future generations of taxpayers that your grandchildren will still be paying it - was a Republican.

Bush was solid relatively to the others POTUS - or to their average quality - because most presidents are horrific. Bush was pretty bad - he was also unlucky for having a mad man like Greenspan in the Fed during his tenure - but most of the other guys are even worse. Since the WWII, there are 3 presidents I think were better than GWB: Ike (semi-decent), Reagan and Clinton (both mediocre). Bush was worse than those guys; but compared to nutjobs like LBJ, Carter, Truman or Nixon, he was a genious.

Um what does any of that have to do with Republican morons acting like Bush is god and that you're an America hater if you disagree with the shithead?

mogrovejo
01-15-2009, 11:39 PM
Um what does any of that have to do with Republican morons acting like Bush is god and that you're an America hater if you disagree with the shithead?

To show it's nothing new. In fact, it happened much worse, like using the coercive power of the government to crash political opponents - ergo the Roosevelt reference. But since the Federalist debates that American political factions have a tendency to demonize their opponents - including playing the patriotic card. Don't see Bush as exceptionally bad because of that. He and his most rabid supporters weren't worse on that chapter than most of their ancestors - and were better than plenty of them. If you're going to take that issue so seriously, you're going to live enraged with politics and politicians your entire life.

pkbpkb81
01-15-2009, 11:45 PM

your dumb he is saying it was a left wing that stated all of that

baseline bum
01-16-2009, 01:03 AM
your dumb he is saying it was a left wing that stated all of that

Hey stupid fuck, maybe you shouldn't call someone dumb when you can't write a coherent sentence, or spell you're or started. It's one thing to make a couple of mistakes in a paragraph or two, but you can't even get one line right?

baseline bum
01-16-2009, 01:13 AM
To show it's nothing new. In fact, it happened much worse, like using the coercive power of the government to crash political opponents - ergo the Roosevelt reference. But since the Federalist debates that American political factions have a tendency to demonize their opponents - including playing the patriotic card. Don't see Bush as exceptionally bad because of that. He and his most rabid supporters weren't worse on that chapter than most of their ancestors - and were better than plenty of them. If you're going to take that issue so seriously, you're going to live enraged with politics and politicians your entire life.

You're reaching back 70 years to find another example of an alleged case comparable to the right-wing's current campaign of stupidity. The Republican party is a huge joke right now because all they can do is sling mud, and they have been soundly destroyed the last two elections because of it. If they keep pushing candidates like Bush and Palin they'll never get the respect of Americans again.

PuttPutt
01-16-2009, 01:42 AM
You can blame everyyhing you want to on W, but he's not the only person that fucked things up & made poor choices. I am NOT a republican NOR am I a democrat. I just think we have a shitty government. The majority of things they do is for their own personal & political gain.

baseline bum
01-16-2009, 02:02 AM
You can blame everyyhing you want to on W, but he's not the only person that fucked things up & made poor choices. I am NOT a republican NOR am I a democrat. I just think we have a shitty government. The majority of things they do is for their own personal & political gain.

That I can agree with. Fuck this whole government.

Obstructed_View
01-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Second best pres of my lifetime. Probably second best pres of all your lifetimes unless you were born after 1988, in which case he gets moved up a notch.

CosmicCowboy
01-16-2009, 12:10 PM
I am already looking forward to Obama's farewell speech in 4 years.

Bigzax
01-16-2009, 12:28 PM
God Bless GWB!

Welcome home Dubya!

S_A_Longhorn
01-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Damn, even in his farewell address, Dubya still thinks the War/Occupation in Iraq makes our homeland safer? He will never cease to amaze me in his ignorance.

Too bad nobody threw a shoe at him...

DarkReign
01-16-2009, 03:27 PM
This entire thread is like an English teacher's worst nightmare.

Later G-Dub. They say in a bureaucracy, a man rises to his level of incompetence. It would seem you found water's level for 8 years. Thank God and His followers that they bought your line of shit that long, you born-again idiot.

How does it feel to be manipulated and de-balled by stronger men in your Administration, you fucking actor?

Hope you avenged Daddy so you can stop sucking your thumb at night, you mental midget. Farewell, hope the door hits you where the good Lord split you.

Alex Jones
01-16-2009, 05:20 PM
God Bless GWB!

Welcome home Dubya!

Figures a red skin fan would support Bush you have allot in common, your both losers.