PDA

View Full Version : Ed Reed

Flo-Rida
01-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Would you guys consider him the greatest Safety of all time?

dirk4mvp
01-15-2009, 09:44 PM
He's very (x10) good, idk about the best. I hate it when the media does this, it's like they get caught up in the moment. Look at Bob Sanders a few years ago, the same thing was happening.

Flo-Rida
01-15-2009, 09:49 PM
He's very (x10) good, idk about the best. I hate it when the media does this, it's like they get caught up in the moment. Look at Bob Sanders a few years ago, the same thing was happening.

Yea but when you look at Ed Reed he is one of the best if not the best at flying to the ball. Then on top of that he is not even satisfied with just getting an interception. When he picks off passes he has the mentality the he is going to take it to the house every single time.

IronMexican
01-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Ronnie Lott still has this. If Reed can play at this level for a couple more seasons, maybe.

Flo-Rida
01-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Ronnie Lott still has this. If Reed can play at this level for a couple more seasons, maybe.

More of a big hitter.

IronMexican
01-15-2009, 10:01 PM
And he made sure no one threw it down the middle.

Flo-Rida
01-15-2009, 10:11 PM
And he made sure no one threw it down the middle.

You remember when he cut his finger! lol Dude was a beast though no doubt, no one will EVER hit as hard as him.

johnsmith
01-16-2009, 12:02 AM
You remember when he cut his finger! lol Dude was a beast though no doubt, no one will EVER hit as hard as him.

Atwater versus Okoye

florige
01-16-2009, 12:07 AM

That is a very good point! The most talked about three, Sanders, Reed, and Polamalou, are the best and the most consistent safeties in the league. But it's funny, every year one of them seems to put together a MONSTER season and manages to outshine the other two, then all of the sudden that one is one of the best safeties to ever play the game. It seems to go in a full circle. Like around here next season we will have people here saying that Reed has lost it as Polamalou will go on a major tear. Then the next season it will be back to Sanders again. :lol

IronMexican
01-16-2009, 12:30 AM
Steve Atwater was another great safety.

Chris
01-16-2009, 05:02 AM
Darren Woodson is the greatest safety of all time for me.

stretch
01-16-2009, 09:11 AM
Reed has been more consistent than Sanders and Polamalu. I would take Dawkins before those guys too. Sanders and Polamalu gets fooled and beaten too much in coverage, and lives off of big hits and a few nice interceptions. Reed and Dawkins both can deliver big hits, but are also fantastic in pass and run coverage.

Sanders got popular because he is good while being extremely short.

Polamalu got popular because of his gay fucking hair.

Reed and Dawkins are the best two safties in football right now, and have been for a good 5 years now. They will go down as two of the top 5 all time, possibly top 3.

resistanze
01-16-2009, 09:16 AM

:lol

florige
01-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Reed has been more consistent than Sanders and Polamalu. I would take Dawkins before those guys too. Sanders and Polamalu gets fooled and beaten too much in coverage, and lives off of big hits and a few nice interceptions. Reed and Dawkins both can deliver big hits, but are also fantastic in pass and run coverage.

Sanders got popular because he is good while being extremely short.

Reed and Dawkins are the best two safties in football right now, and have been for a good 5 years now. They will go down as two of the top 5 all time, possibly top 3.

Reed is great don't take me wrong. And of course I love him, But last season under the Billick regime where anything goes, he was beaten alot in coverage. Last year Reed liked to gamble alot and alot of times it ended up costing us big time. And while Reed can tackle ok, he can't hold a candle to the way Bob Sanders and Dawkins knock people out. What makes Reed so dangerous is once he gets the turnover he reminds me of Deion Sanders in, there is about a 75% chance that he will run the ball back. But he does alot of bonehead crap too, like trying to lateral the ball backwards to a lineman. He was doing that so much this year the front office had to pull him up about that stupid ass crap.

dirk4mvp
01-16-2009, 09:55 AM
All 4 of these safeties have their own distinct advantages and disadvantages. You can't go wrong with any of them.

stretch
01-16-2009, 10:13 AM
All 4 of these safeties have their own distinct advantages and disadvantages. You can't go wrong with any of them.

I agree. If I was putting them in order, I would say...

Reed
Dawkins
Sanders
Polamalu

I actually might even take Adrian Wilson over Polamalu.

florige
01-16-2009, 10:15 AM
I agree. If I was putting them in order, I would say...

Reed
Dawkins
Sanders
Polamalu

I actually might even take Adrian Wilson over Polamalu.

You really hate the hair don't you....:lol

Dr. Gonzo
01-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Atwater versus Okoye

yScioc_dmXg

stretch
01-16-2009, 10:27 AM
You really hate the hair don't you....:lol

I just don't think he is all that incredibly impressive, the way some people think. Is he good? Hell yes he's good. But there are a lot of other really damn good safties in the leage as well. I think Adrian Wilson is incredibly underrated.

I literally think the hair made a difference in him getting recognized by viewers and media, because it makes him stand out more than most other players, the same way tatoos and cornrows and stuff makes players stand out in basketball. Anderson Varajeao is a perfect example of that. He is a nice hustle player, but nothing real special. There plenty of those kinds of players in the league, however he is the most recognizable, because of his hair.

J.T.

Sanders has potential to be in the same class as Ed Reed if he could stay fucking healthy for a full season.

IronMexican
Darren Woodson is the greatest safety of all time for me.

Can't believe I forgot him.

stretch
01-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Sanders has potential to be in the same class as Ed Reed if he could stay fucking healthy for a full season.

I can't argue that one bit. He has incredible potential. He definitely was the Colts MVP through their SB run. He completely turned that defense around when he came back.

dirk4mvp
01-16-2009, 10:35 AM

That'd be nice.

monosylab1k
01-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Cut off Troy Polamalu's hair and put him on the Dallas Cowboys and you couldn't tell him apart from Roy Williams. Polamalu is way overrated.

Bigzax
01-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Ed Reed is a bad muthafucka. He's in the discussion for sure.

Wish he was a skin...

florige
01-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Ed Reed is a bad muthafucka. He's in the discussion for sure.

Wish he was a skin...

I hate to bring this up, but you guys probably had the next Ed Reed in Taylor.That boy was awesome. And of course another U product.

degenerate_gambler
01-16-2009, 04:35 PM
speaking of the skins...

i'm older than alot of you dudes....but i'd put kenny houston up against any of the current greats.

1a. ronnie lott
1b. kenny houston

stretch
01-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Eddie Anderson > All

stretch
01-16-2009, 04:48 PM
While he was a CB converted to safety, Rod Woodson was pretty damn good actually.

monosylab1k
01-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Willie "Big Play" Clay

Flo-Rida
01-16-2009, 06:36 PM
I hate to bring this up, but you guys probably had the next Ed Reed in Taylor.That boy was awesome. And of course another U product.

Its so sad just think the Sean Taylor and figure out what he could have been. You remember though when the cowboys took Roy Williams over ed reed.