PDA

View Full Version : John Chaney Thoughts?

timvp
02-28-2005, 11:51 PM
What are your thoughts on the John Chaney incident? I think what he did was wrong, but people are taking it to a level that it shouldn't be taken. Barring him from the Hall of Fame or banishing him from coaching is not how you handle this.

If Bob Knight would have done the same thing, I don't think there'd be this much fuss over it. Dumb move but a common ploy in basketball.

MannyIsGod
03-01-2005, 01:01 AM
Coaches send players out to make hard fouls all the time. I don't know the specifics, but if thats all it was then it's not that bad.

MosesGuthrie
03-01-2005, 08:37 AM
He sent a player out with the intent of dirty play and that player ended up breaking the arm of an opponent and ending that kid's college career (He is a senior) I think if Bob Knight did it, given his previous history, there would be as much if not more fuss. Fact is, Chaney was wrong and IMO, should be suspended for the rest of the year including any post season play. Banished from basketball or from the HOF? no. He has done too much good in his career to have it all thrown away by this mistake.

travis2
03-01-2005, 08:39 AM
I think it's time for him to resign. The parallels to Woody Hayes are uncanny.

jalbre6
03-01-2005, 09:28 AM
He's been suspended for the A-10 tourney now. If he's met the family of the player and is paying for his medical treatment, that's punishment enough.

Coaches send players in to hack all the time. I saw Steve Fisher at San Diego State do it on Saturday against New Mexico, right when the Lobos started running away with the game. The Aztecs send this huge goofy white kid in the 2nd half and he had four fouls in like eight minutes.

IX_Equilibrium
03-01-2005, 10:04 AM
I definately agree with him not coaching for the rest of the season.

If the guy who broke his arm is out for the season, then so should Chaney.

Ballcox
03-01-2005, 12:08 PM
Cheney, by all accounts that I've read, has been a stand up coach and a great mentor to young men at the Temple program for a long time. I can see him being suspended for the rest of the season, and then I think he needs to take a long look at himself and whether he wants to continue coaching. I mean, the guy is in his 70's right? I think dealing with the constant stress of being a college coach would start to really wear you down as you got older, and Cheney might be just reaching the end of his time as a coach. He understands what he did was wrong, but it is common practice for coaches to have 'bruiser' types that they send in the game just to use up fouls, happens all the time-just went too far this most recent time. Go ahead and suspend him the rest of the season, but all this other stuff? Give me a break.

respect the 'fro :fro

Spurminator
03-01-2005, 12:23 PM
I think he's being adequately punished. It has been blown somewhat out of proportion by the Sports Media, but there's nothing new about that.

Kori Ellis
03-01-2005, 03:17 PM
He's been suspended for the A-10 tourney now. If he's met the family of the player and is paying for his medical treatment, that's punishment enough.

He wasn't suspended for the A-10 tourney, he suspended himself.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2002082

jalbre6
03-01-2005, 03:28 PM
He wasn't suspended for the A-10 tourney, he suspended himself.

oh, OK. I saw that on the ESPN ticker, not online.

That brings up another point, though. The school and the conference hasn't done anything to him. So I guess in their minds either he's done enough or it wasn't a big deal.

Spurminator
03-01-2005, 04:04 PM
So I guess in their minds either he's done enough or it wasn't a big deal.

They've probably concluded that his self punishment is appropriate. I don't think they need to give him a separate punishment in addition to his self-imposed suspension... That would be like Ron Artest suspending himself for the season, then Stern saying, "Good... and for the League Punishment, you cannot play next year either."

ALVAREZ6
03-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Chaney really is an asshole for purposely ruining a senior's last games, last games probably of his life.

Ingram being referred to as a goon probably doesn't make him respect Chaney more.

I didn't think Chaney was this big of an ass, and he even came out and said it to the media: " I'm a mean old son of a bitch."

...something like that

MannyIsGod
03-01-2005, 06:13 PM
Coaches send players in for hard fouls ALL THE TIME.

Kori Ellis
03-01-2005, 06:25 PM
I think it's understood that he sent him in to hurt the other player to get him out of the game ... not to just administer a hard foul.

MannyIsGod
03-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Well in that case, nevermind. That is pretty hardcore.

N.Y. Johnny
03-01-2005, 09:51 PM
Chaney is a real bastard, he seems to lose it someway or another, remember him wanting to kill John Calipari at the news conference? damn, and now the "Goon" incident here doesn't help his case any. Its probably time for him to move on and retire before he actually does run onto the court and cold cocks someone like Woody Hayes did.

timvp
03-01-2005, 10:46 PM
One thing that the media got wrong is they are acting like this John Bryant kid who broke his arm is some type of superstar. He's a senior who is averaging a career-high three points per game.

travis2
03-02-2005, 07:27 AM
He sent his player in to hurt others because he was pissed at the refs. He didn't send him in to protect his own players, or to deliver "hard fouls", or any other bull$h!t. He sent his GOON in to HURT people.

He needs to leave.

FromWayDowntown
03-02-2005, 12:06 PM
I'm not a big fan of judging of others. I'm particularly not a big fan of passing judgment based on a single incident when there is so much else that the man has done well.

Chaney made a horrible mistake. As a leader of young men, he should be punished for that and made to consider his actions. But in light of all that he has done for all of the kids who've come through that Temple program, Chaney should be lauded more than he is chastized.

Chaney is similar to John Thompson in that both have made great efforts to recruit kids who would not normally be college material to a very strong academic school. He makes them work and the administrators at Temple have taken note of that work, praising Chaney for his efforts to ensure that his players are educated. Chaney has those kids up every morning at something like 6 am to do their basketball work, instilling discipline and assuring that playing ball will not get in the way of an education.

Should all of that go by the boards because he lost his head in a tough moment? By punishing himself, Chaney is again setting an example for his players -- showing then that there are consequences for losing your poise. I'm sure John Chaney wishes he had a second shot at reacting in that moment, but the fact that he's remorseful and accountable for his decision is enough to tell me that he deserves to retain his job.

timvp
03-02-2005, 04:40 PM
He sent his player in to hurt others because he was pissed at the refs. He didn't send him in to protect his own players, or to deliver "hard fouls", or any other bull$h!t. He sent his GOON in to HURT people.

He needs to leave.

He sent the goon into protect his players from illegal screens and to deliver hard fouls. He didn't put the guy in to hurt someone and make them out for the season.

Come on now.

MannyIsGod
03-02-2005, 04:44 PM
see, if he sent themin for a foul, even a hard one, that's not a bad thing. It's basketball, but if he sent him in specificaly to hurt someone, that's fucked up.

ALVAREZ6
03-02-2005, 07:39 PM
One thing that the media got wrong is they are acting like this John Bryant kid who broke his arm is some type of superstar. He's a senior who is averaging a career-high three points per game.
Really?

I never heard anyone talking about how "good" he is.
But that's not the point, the point is the fact that he is a SENIOR...which means he ruined John Bryant's last games of pretty much his life. No more games for him.

If I were a senior, I wouldn't want to end it like Chaney ended Bryant's hoops career. I would want to remember something better than what happened.

If I were John Bryant, I would find Chaney and club that bastard and knock his ass out.