PDA

View Full Version : Coke = Vitaminwater

JudynTX
01-16-2009, 02:50 PM
The Coca-Cola Company is being sued over allegations that it made fraudulent claims on its vitaminwater line of beverages, according to the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI).

CPSI, which filed the class-action lawsuit, says the product claims are "deceptive and unsubstantiated."

"Coke markets vitaminwater as a healthful alternative to soda by labeling its several flavors with such health buzz words as “defense,” “rescue,” “energy,” and “endurance," CPSI charged. ”The company makes a wide range of dramatic claims, including that its drinks variously reduce the risk of chronic disease, reduce the risk of eye disease, promote healthy joints, and support optimal immune function.

"In fact, according to CSPI nutritionists, the 33 grams of sugar in each bottle of vitaminwater do more to promote obesity, diabetes, and other health problems than the vitamins in the drinks do to perform the advertised benefits listed on the bottles."

Coke, a frequent CSPI target, called the lawsuit, "ridicululous" and said filing a lawsuit was a "cheap, opportunistic public relations stunt."

"Glacéau vitaminwater is a great tasting, hydrating beverage with essential vitamins and water, with labels showing calorie content," said Coke spokeswoman Diana Garza Ciarlante. "Consumers can readily see the nutrition facts panels on every bottle of glacéau vitaminwater, which show what’s in our product and what’s not."
Some experts, however, warn that fortified waters don't offer many health benefits.

"There’s not a single drink out there--from Enviga to SmartWater--that has any proof of impact," nutrition professor Barry Popkin told me when I wrote this piece on enhanced water.

"Just because [a nutrient] is in the product doesn't necessarily mean it will impact you or get in your body. There are all sorts of false labels promising health benefits," said Popkin, who directs the Interdisciplinary Center for Obesity at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

link (http://http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/features_julieshealthclub/2009/01/experts-get-your-vitamins-from-food--the-coca-cola-company-is-being-sued-for-fraudulent-claims-on-its-vitaminwater-line-of-b.html)

I've never tried Vitaminwater.

FreeMason
01-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Still have never had one. Are they worth the hype?

If I wanted something with water in the title....I'd drink water.

Ginofan
01-16-2009, 02:54 PM
I don't like the taste of any of their flavors...plus sugar in a water product? That doesn't make any sense to me.

balli
01-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Still have never had one. Are they worth the hype?
Fuck no. But they're better than Propel.

I laugh when people substitute Gatorade or Vitamin Water for soda because they think it's healthier. Minus carbonation, it's all the same shit; high fructose syrup, flavoring, color and water.

CuckingFunt
01-16-2009, 03:04 PM
I love Viataminwater. Especially the Power C flavor. But I've never fooled myself into thinking it's anything other than expensive Kool Aid.

AlamoSpursFan
01-16-2009, 03:13 PM
I had to quit them because of a little blood sugar issue, but despite the fact that they are made by our competition, I thought they were the bomb.

Aren't those the same dipshits who ruined movie theater popcorn a few years back?

EricB
01-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Dragonfruit Vitaminwater is the greatness.

But its like cucking said, overpriced Kool aid.

AlamoSpursFan
01-16-2009, 03:22 PM
I haven't read the side of a kool-aid package lately, but I'm fairly certain they don't add vitamins...

balli
01-16-2009, 03:32 PM
I haven't read the side of a kool-aid package lately, but I'm fairly certain they don't add vitamins...
It's not Kool-aid, but if you think as a corn syrup beverage, it's substantially healthier just because they threw some b12 and citric acid in there, well, I'd stop drinking the kool-aid, as it were.

BlackSwordsMan
01-16-2009, 03:35 PM
orange vitamin water is badass everything else is trash

TDMVPDPOY
01-16-2009, 09:25 PM
kool-aid or cordial > vitamin water

MiamiHeat
01-16-2009, 10:39 PM
I don't like the taste of any of their flavors...plus sugar in a water product? That doesn't make any sense to me.

You drink coke don't you? basically a water product

Darrin
01-17-2009, 01:33 PM
The Coca-Cola Company is being sued over allegations that it made fraudulent claims on its vitaminwater line of beverages, according to the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI).

CPSI, which filed the class-action lawsuit, says the product claims are "deceptive and unsubstantiated."

"Coke markets vitaminwater as a healthful alternative to soda by labeling its several flavors with such health buzz words as “defense,” “rescue,” “energy,” and “endurance," CPSI charged. ”The company makes a wide range of dramatic claims, including that its drinks variously reduce the risk of chronic disease, reduce the risk of eye disease, promote healthy joints, and support optimal immune function.

"In fact, according to CSPI nutritionists, the 33 grams of sugar in each bottle of vitaminwater do more to promote obesity, diabetes, and other health problems than the vitamins in the drinks do to perform the advertised benefits listed on the bottles."

Coke, a frequent CSPI target, called the lawsuit, "ridicululous" and said filing a lawsuit was a "cheap, opportunistic public relations stunt."

"Glacéau vitaminwater is a great tasting, hydrating beverage with essential vitamins and water, with labels showing calorie content," said Coke spokeswoman Diana Garza Ciarlante. "Consumers can readily see the nutrition facts panels on every bottle of glacéau vitaminwater, which show what’s in our product and what’s not."
Some experts, however, warn that fortified waters don't offer many health benefits.

"There’s not a single drink out there--from Enviga to SmartWater--that has any proof of impact," nutrition professor Barry Popkin told me when I wrote this piece on enhanced water.

"Just because [a nutrient] is in the product doesn't necessarily mean it will impact you or get in your body. There are all sorts of false labels promising health benefits," said Popkin, who directs the Interdisciplinary Center for Obesity at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

link (http://http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/features_julieshealthclub/2009/01/experts-get-your-vitamins-from-food--the-coca-cola-company-is-being-sued-for-fraudulent-claims-on-its-vitaminwater-line-of-b.html)

I've never tried Vitaminwater.

I already knew this. That's why you stick ith Sobe Lifewater or Propel from Gatorade. Read a damn nutrition label, not where they put it in the store.

Thunder Dan
01-17-2009, 01:42 PM
I only drink Vitaminwater because Lebron and Shaq do

Ginofan
01-17-2009, 03:07 PM
You drink coke don't you? basically a water product

Water product as in ozarka, figi, smart water, etc. I think people know what they are getting with a soda...because it's a SODA. Something labeled as WATER specifically shouldn't contain added sugar IMHO.

EricB
01-17-2009, 05:42 PM
Water product as in ozarka, figi, smart water, etc. I think people know what they are getting with a soda...because it's a SODA. Something labeled as WATER specifically shouldn't contain added sugar IMHO.

It's labeled vitamin water.

Its water with vitamins. Its not saying its just WATER.