PDA

View Full Version : Duncan - Retarded

E20
03-01-2005, 12:14 AM
http://www.nba.com/games/20050228/SASCLE/recap.html

CLEVELAND, Feb. 28 (Ticker) -- Tim Duncan capped a largely frustrating night with a satisfying shot.

Duncan nailed a buzzer-beating jumper from just beyond the foul line to help the San Antonio Spurs defeat the Cleveland Cavaliers, 94-92.

Duncan missed his first seven shots and, amid constant foul trouble, had just 10 points through three quarters. But he scored 10 points in the final period, including six during a 16-6 run that Tony Parker capped with a layup that gave the Spurs a 91-85 lead with 89 seconds remaining.

"(Tim) rebounded and competed, and with all the foul trouble, people are usually taken out of games, and you never get back in the flow," San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said. "That's why he's such a great player."

The Spurs' lead was 92-87 after Manu Ginobili split a pair of free throws with 33 seconds left, but Duncan inadvertently tipped in an airballed 3-pointer by Jeff McInnis with just under 20 seconds left.

"That should have been a two," Popovich said. "The ball was below the rim and Timmy went to get it and tipped it in."

Popovich moments later appeared to have received a clarification when he said the officials "thought it still had a chance to hit the rim."

"That was retarded," Duncan said. :lol "It was an airball. I was trying to pull it in and it just hit my finger tips and went in. I think it should have been a two."

Ginobili missed a pair from the line with 19 seconds to play and, after a timeout, LeBron James found Zydrunas Ilgauskas under the hoop for an uncontested dunk that tied the game, 92-92, with 14.2 seconds to go.

After Spurs called timeout, Parker dribbled near the top of the key until the clock fell under five seconds, then dribbled to his right. Ilgauskas came over to help McInnis defend Parker, who quickly passed the ball to a wide-open Duncan, and the All-Star forward calmly drained the jumper as time expired.

"I had that shot all game, and Tony made a great move to draw both defenders," Duncan said. "I actually thought he was going to shoot it. He held it there for so long in the air, I thought he had a great look at it. He threw it off late, and I had enough time to gather myself and take the shot comfortably.

"We've run that play a billion times. I think Pop realized they would stay with Tony. There's nothing like being prepared for something before it happens. I wasn't going to rush the shot."

Duncan, who also grabbed 11 rebounds, made nine of his final 10 shots.

Parker collected 19 points, 10 assists and eight rebounds and Ginobili added 17 points for the Spurs, who avoided their third losing streak of the season.

"(San Antonio) has the best record in the whole league," James said of the 43-13 Spurs. "We just need to approach every team like they are the best team in the league."

Ilgauskas scored 26 points and fellow All-Star James added 20, eight rebounds and seven assists for the Cavaliers, who absorbed their first three-game losing streak since beginning the season 0-3.

"We are in a slump right now," McInnis said. "We just have to keep fighting to try to get out of it."

"I'm not concerned," Cleveland coach Paul Silas said. "People get spoiled when we're playing well, but we battled a championship down to the wire."

timvp
03-01-2005, 12:22 AM
Uh oh. Hopefully the PC Police don't catch wind of this.

milkyway21
03-01-2005, 12:26 AM
who rode on Duncan?

milkyway21
03-01-2005, 12:28 AM
who rode on Duncan? was it Beno?

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/images/0228spurs190.jpg

Experiment2100
03-01-2005, 12:37 AM
I hope that the PC police get's ahold of this, they are funny people.

Solid D
03-01-2005, 12:45 AM
The game winning play was designed for Parker to score, Coach Bud said in the radio post-game show. It was for Parker all the way. Tony just saw Z go with him and he passed to Timmy at the peak of elevation on what looked like a mid-wing jumper.

E20
03-01-2005, 12:46 AM
I wonder who the PC police are?

milkyway21
03-01-2005, 02:31 AM
The game winning play was designed for Parker to score, Coach Bud said in the radio post-game show. It was for Parker all the way. Tony just saw Z go with him and he passed to Timmy at the peak of elevation on what looked like a mid-wing jumper.but Express News is telling diff. story, they said it was a play designed for Duncan.
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

CLEVELAND — The game's outcome was in doubt, the crowd was on its feet and Tim Duncan thought he had a clean shot.

Or, would have, had the ball made it to him. Memphis' Shane Battier batted away Manu Ginobili's pass as the final seconds ticked away, preserving the Grizzlies' victory.

That was Saturday. Two nights later, Duncan showed what could happen when the ball does end up in his hands.

After receiving a perfect pick-and-roll pass from Tony Parker, Duncan buried a 19-foot jump shot at the buzzer to beat the Cleveland Cavaliers 94-92 on Monday night. The stunned crowd of 18,216 watched in silence as the Spurs poured onto the court and mobbed Duncan.

"To end up on this end," Duncan said, "is much better."

Duncan received plenty of help as the Spurs avoided their first losing streak in more than two months. Parker just missed his first triple-double with 19 points, 10 assists and eight rebounds. Bruce Bowen helped limit LeBron James to 20 points on 22 shots while hitting a clutch 3-pointer.

Ginobili scored 11 of his 17 points in the fourth quarter. Nazr Mohammed contributed six points and six rebounds in 16 minutes in his first appearance with the Spurs.

Still, the game hinged on the final possession just as it did Saturday. The Spurs ran a different play Monday, but it produced nearly the same type of shot Duncan would have had two nights earlier.

After Cavaliers center Zydrunas Ilgauskas tied the game with a dunk, the Spurs called a timeout with 14.2 seconds left. Coach Gregg Popovich drew a middle pick-and-roll, telling Duncan to separate to the free-throw line when he set the screen. Both defenders, Popovich said in the huddle, likely would stay with Parker.

"That," Duncan said, "is exactly what happened."

After Duncan set his pick on Cleveland point guard Jeff McInnis, Parker faked as if he were going to shoot, drawing Ilgauskas and McInnis. At the last moment, Parker passed to Duncan.

McInnis slipped trying to recover, leaving Duncan with about three seconds to set himself before taking the shot.

"Tony made a great move," said Duncan, who made nine of his final 10 shots and finished with 20 points and 11 rebounds. "I thought he was actually going to shoot it, he held it so long in the air."

Said Ginobili: "It was a perfect pick-and-roll."

Duncan's evening was far from ideal for much of the first half. After missing 19 of 28 shots in the Spurs' loss here last season, he seemed destined to duplicate the performance Monday, clanging his first seven attempts.

When Duncan wasn't misfiring in the first half, he was sitting. Foul trouble limited him to 14 minutes in the first two quarters. He had to go to the bench again after picking up his fourth foul with 6:16 remaining in the third quarter.

Cleveland used the chance to take an eight-point lead.

"With foul trouble people usually sit and they never get back in the flow," Popovich said. "That's why (Duncan) is such a great player: He got back on the court and acted like he had only two fouls."

After starting 0 for 7, Duncan missed only one shot the rest of the game. He went 5 for 5 in the final quarter.

He also might have become the first player in NBA history to tip in a 3-pointer. For the opposing team. :rolleyes

With the Spurs leading 92-87, McInnis hoisted a 24-foot shot that appeared to fall a couple inches short of the rim. Duncan tried to pluck the ball out of the air only to watch it bounce off his fingers and through the rim.

Official Jack Nies awarded the Cavaliers three points.

"From what I understand it should have been two points," Duncan said. "It was just retarded, a bad move on my part."

The shot became all the more important when Ginobili missed two free throws with 19.2 seconds remaining. Ilgauskas, who scored 26 points, tied the game on the ensuing possession when Rasho Nesterovic left him to double-team James.

That left it up to Parker and Duncan. This time, the Spurs executed.

"We haven't had many games decided in the last seconds," Ginobili said. "So we were very happy to bounce back and do things better this time."

Mr. Body
03-01-2005, 02:39 AM
Are there PC Police nowadays? I don't see them patrolling the streets anymore...

fonzy16
03-01-2005, 02:43 AM
Didn't see it, but... a play set for Duncan to score from the free throw line? the free throw line?

ok it went in, but dont that again.

Walton Buys Off Me
03-01-2005, 07:37 AM
Jack Nies is by far the worst official in professional sports. He does the game of basketball a bigger disservice than Ron Artest.

Phenomanul
03-01-2005, 09:27 AM
Duncan later added, "I waited to make sure that I didn't leave 0.4 seconds on the clock, because the last time I thought I had nailed the game winner DFish decided to one up me."

Parker then elbowed Duncan and said, "Man, why you got to bring that up"

Both then chuckled with glee celebrating tonight's hard-fought victory...

kskonn
03-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Didn't see it, but... a play set for Duncan to score from the free throw line? the free throw line?

ok it went in, but dont that again.

That 19 footer is one of Duncans better shooting spots on the floor. Besides it is usually guaranteed to be a wide open shot since most defenders will always collapse on to parker.

Jimcs50
03-01-2005, 09:38 AM
Lets get retarded...in here

And the bass keeps Runnin runnin and runnin runnin
and runnin runnin and runnin runnin
and runnin runnin and runnin runnin and..

In this context, there's no disrespect
So when I bust my rhyme
You break yo necks
We got 5 minutes for this to disconnect
From all intellect and let the rhythm effect

Apt to lose this inhibition
Follow your intuition
Free your inner soul
And break away from tradition

Cus when we be out
Girl it's gunna be that
You wouldn't believe how
Wow s**t out
Burnin till it's burned out
Turn it till it’s turned out
Act up from north, west, east, south

Everybody, (yeah) everybody, (yeah) lets get into it, (yeah) get STOOPID
(come on)Get retarded, (come on)get retarded, (yeah) get retarded

Lets get retarded in hah, lets get retarded in here

Lose control, all body, all soul
Don’t move to fast, people just take it slow
Don't get ahead, just jump into it
Y'all hit a body, the Peas’ll do it

Get started, get stupid,
don't worry bout it people we’ll walk you through it
Step by step, like if you’re in for new kid
Inch by inch, with the new solution
Transmit hits, with no delusion
The feelings irresistible and that's how we move it

C'mon!

Everybody, (yeah) everybody, (yeah) lets get into it, (yeah) and get STOOPID!
(come on)Get retarded, (come on) get retarded, (yeah) get retarded

(yeah)
runnin runnin and runnin runnin

C'mon y'all, lets get cuckoo! (uh huh)
Lets get cuckoo! (in here)
Right now get cuckoo! (uh huh)

O O O
ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya

Supergirl
03-01-2005, 10:48 AM
I was actually suprised to see Timmy making this comment. It seemed unusually harsh for him - usually he just says he can't say how he feels because he'll get fined.

He's totally right though. The whole sequence was totally retarded.

kskonn
03-01-2005, 10:58 AM
I think it just shows how hard Tim is, you know Amare does push ups, everyone else runs down the floor screaming, Tim just says the word retarded with wreckless abandon. Man what a thug. :lmao :lmao :lmao

boutons
03-01-2005, 11:20 AM
"I was actually suprised to see Timmy making this comment. It seemed unusually harsh for him"

huh? Tim screwed up big, he was just being honest about it. I wonder if any player has been, will ever be, fined for trashing ... himself? :)

Solid D
03-01-2005, 11:54 AM
but Express News is telling diff. story, they said it was a play designed for Duncan.

Assistant says one thing, Pop says another. CIA Pop.

That play does have multiple options...standard options: 1) TP back to Tim off the pick and pop, 2) TP to the cup 3) TP to the cup and kick to the corner. We see it all the time. All based on what's there.

Future opponents take note: Timmy is the first option, Pop said so.

blackbucket
03-01-2005, 12:37 PM
"That was retarded," Duncan said.

I am unequivocally and completely offended by that egregious and insensitive remark.

Sincerely,
Pork and Beans

td4mvp21
03-01-2005, 06:29 PM
No surprise that Jack Nies made the call. I can't stand him.

milkyway21
03-01-2005, 09:22 PM
I think it just shows how hard Tim is, you know Amare does push ups, everyone else runs down the floor screaming, Tim just says the word retarded with wreckless abandon. Man what a thug. :lmao :lmao :lmaothug? :rolleyes

milkyway21
03-01-2005, 09:35 PM
Duncan later added, "I waited to make sure that I didn't leave 0.4 seconds on the clock, because the last time I thought I had nailed the game winner DFish decided to one up me."

Parker then elbowed Duncan and said, "Man, why you got to bring that up"

Both then chuckled with glee celebrating tonight's hard-fought victory... :lol

don't worry Timmy, that off-balanced clutch shot though you didn't win is STILL one of the favorites and replayed on every NBA game shown in our country. :wow

FilSpursFan
03-01-2005, 10:10 PM
Jack Nies is by far the worst official in professional sports. He does the game of basketball a bigger disservice than Ron Artest.
I think Jack did not forget Tim's shoving him to the floor accidentally two seasons ago, or was that last season. I just hate this man.

:pctoss

bigbendbruisebrother
03-01-2005, 10:51 PM
Mr. Scola agrees with with Timmy's analysis:

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/2003/photos2004/0827/a_scola_luis_vt.jpg

td4mvp21
03-01-2005, 11:00 PM
I think Jack did not forget Tim's shoving him to the floor accidentally two seasons ago, or was that last season. I just hate this man.

:pctoss

well if your being an idiot and standing in the lane on a fast break, what do you think is gonna happen?????? :drunk

sbsquared
03-02-2005, 09:46 AM
Don Harris brought up Jack Nies on his "Don's Extra Point." He said Jack Nies is one of the main reasons the NBA needs to utilize instant replay. Don even said that Nies still holds a grudge against Tim and it has resulted in a string of questionable calls against Tim in games where he officiates.

I knew as soon as I heard that Nies was officiating that Tim was going to be in for a rough night. I think 3 of the 4 fouls called on Tim were called by Nies! Nies needs to be put out to pasture!

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-02-2005, 09:48 AM
Lets get retarded...in here

And the bass keeps Runnin runnin and runnin runnin
and runnin runnin and runnin runnin and..

In this context, there's no disrespect
So when I bust my rhyme
You break yo necks
We got 5 minutes for this to disconnect
From all intellect and let the rhythm effect

Apt to lose this inhibition
Follow your intuition
Free your inner soul
And break away from tradition

Cus when we be out
Girl it's gunna be that
You wouldn't believe how
Wow s**t out
Burnin till it's burned out
Turn it till it’s turned out
Act up from north, west, east, south

Everybody, (yeah) everybody, (yeah) lets get into it, (yeah) get STOOPID
(come on)Get retarded, (come on)get retarded, (yeah) get retarded

Lose control, all body, all soul
Don’t move to fast, people just take it slow
Don't get ahead, just jump into it
Y'all hit a body, the Peas’ll do it

Get started, get stupid,
don't worry bout it people we’ll walk you through it
Step by step, like if you’re in for new kid
Inch by inch, with the new solution
Transmit hits, with no delusion
The feelings irresistible and that's how we move it

C'mon!

Everybody, (yeah) everybody, (yeah) lets get into it, (yeah) and get STOOPID!
(come on)Get retarded, (come on) get retarded, (yeah) get retarded

(yeah)
runnin runnin and runnin runnin

C'mon y'all, lets get cuckoo! (uh huh)