PDA

View Full Version : Jon Gruden done in Tampa

J.T.
01-16-2009, 06:27 PM
Fired the GM too

J.T.
01-16-2009, 06:28 PM
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers Friday said that they have fired head coach Jon Gruden and general manager Bruce Allen.

"We will be forever grateful to Jon for bringing us the Super Bowl title, and we thank Bruce for his contributions to our franchise," Buccaneers co-chairman Joel Glazer said in a statement. "However after careful consideration, we feel that this decision is in the best interest of our organization moving forward."

Gruden had been the head coach of the Buccaneers for seven season, coming from the Oakland Raiders. Tampa Bay defeated Oakland in the Super Bowl his first season. His overall record with Tampa Bay is 57-55, but the Bucs have been 22-26 over the past three seasons. They started this season 9-3 but lost four straight and missed the playoffs.

J.T.
01-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Now you have to wonder if Tampa asks Dungy to come back, will he? The whole thing about him retiring was that he wants to spend more time with his family (who lives in Tampa) and do other things like ministry work, but the family thing is definitely the bigger factor.

I think he's done for good though.

Phillip
01-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Cowboys should get Gruden. He's a good coach, and I think would be exactly what they need... someone to light that competitive fire under them, while keeping them disciplined. That lack of fire is the one issue with Dungy. He built a hell of a team in Tampa, but couldn't get them over the edge, the way Gruden did. I think he would be perfect for the Cowboys.

jack sommerset
01-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Gruden comes off like a asshole.

Dr. Gonzo
01-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Cowboys should get Gruden. He's a good coach, and I think would be exactly what they need... someone to light that competitive fire under them, while keeping them disciplined. That lack of fire is the one issue with Dungy. He built a hell of a team in Tampa, but couldn't get them over the edge, the way Gruden did. I think he would be perfect for the Cowboys.

Gruden hasn't won a playoff game since 2002. So yeah, he's a perfect fit.

Slinkyman
01-17-2009, 09:31 PM
Gruden and Shanahan 3 superbowl rings between them yet there both out of jobs, wade phillips hasn't won a single playoff game yet he has a job. The NFL makes a lot of sense.

jack sommerset
01-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Gruden and Shanahan 3 superbowl rings between them yet there both out of jobs, wade phillips hasn't won a single playoff game yet he has a job. The NFL makes a lot of sense.

Shanahan won 1 playoff game since John Elway. 10 years of nothing from this genius.John Elway went to 5 Super Bowls,3 before Shanahan was in Denver. Gruden took over Dungys team and won that year and has not won shit since. That was 6 years ago.

Shit can Wade after 2 seasons? Thats fair, also blame Wade for the previous 13 seasons. Jones should fire himself. That makes sense.

ducks
01-18-2009, 02:43 PM
shanahan is very overrated

Heath Ledger
01-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Dungy was interviewed and aksed about returning to Tampa he says he has no interest and is done coaching.

IronMexican
01-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Shanahan won 1 playoff game since John Elway. 10 years of nothing from this genius.John Elway went to 5 Super Bowls,3 before Shanahan was in Denver. Gruden took over Dungys team and won that year and has not won shit since. That was 6 years ago.

Shit can Wade after 2 seasons? Thats fair, also blame Wade for the previous 13 seasons. Jones should fire himself. That makes sense.

If John Gruden took Dungy's team, whose team did Bill Callahan take?

jack sommerset
01-18-2009, 03:52 PM
If John Gruden took Dungy's team, whose team did Bill Callahan take?

And......Is there a point?

IronMexican
01-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Yeah, you want to argue that Gruden took Dungy's team, well Callahan took Gruden's team. And if Gruden was coaching the Raiders, no doubt the game would have at least been a lot closer.

jack sommerset
01-18-2009, 04:22 PM
My opinion is Gruden is not that good of a coach. Lets give him the Gruden Bowl. Thats his. Since his day his team has gone 45 and 51 over 6 years. I am just saying Gruden is not that great of a coach. Good..Yes.. Can't be fire good....Hell no. 45 wins and 51 losses over 6 years will get you fired.

IronMexican
01-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Ok, I just wanted to make sure you know what you said. And no one is good enough to the point you can't be fired.

jack sommerset
01-18-2009, 04:57 PM
I wonder if Callahan would have won that game, would that have been enough to keep him in the NFL the next 6 years like Gruden?

IronMexican
01-18-2009, 05:15 PM
No way. He lost that team after Woodson called him out. I think Bill said something like "We're a good team, just stupid" Al was doing anything in his will to keep Woodson.

jack sommerset
01-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Winning a Super Bowl he might have been able to get away with that comment. Was not that bad.

Callahan said the Raiders must have been "the dumbest team in America in terms of playing the game."

I have to say he really is not a good coach. Nebraska says alot.

MajorMike
01-19-2009, 10:09 AM
Welcome back to obscurity, Bucs.

jack sommerset
01-19-2009, 04:58 PM
"Welcome back" Last 3 years the Bucs are 22 wins and 26 losses. What are you guys thinking Gruden is so sort savioir?