PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the L, Pop

Dex
01-16-2009, 09:02 PM
8 minutes of small ball with Udoka and Bowen in the third while the Sixers more than double their halftime lead? And then your brilliant answer is Finley and the corpse of Oberto?

Whatever happened to calling a timeout during a run? Or have we fully reverted to Jackson-ism?

romad_20
01-16-2009, 09:04 PM
I don't think he cares about the loss. They got no burn the last game and he's not going to let them just rot on the bench.

loveforthegame
He made some questionable decisions tonight but the game was over when he put Finley and Oberto in there. Rest the others for the game tomorrow night.

Give Oberto some burn and see if Finley can work out his shooting slump.

Amuseddaysleeper
Where the hell was Mason in the second half?!?! Bowen played way too many minutes after getting burned repeatedly and Duncan looked completely disheartened by the lack of another big to help him out in the paint.

This is also the worst defensive team the Spurs have fielded in the past 10 years. The defensive FG% is disgusting. You would think D'antoni was running the team on the defensive end.

Hopefully LA and NO can lose so we can at least salvage something from tonight.

hater
01-16-2009, 09:06 PM
well he was definitely fucking with the lineups tonight. but still. as losss is a loss in this WEst where anybody could end up 2nd or 8th in the Conference.

Spurs came out lazy and got their assess kicked. what an embarrassment. a championship team at least has some pride not to lose like this.

these kind of losses make me think spurs are NOT a championship team.

hater
01-16-2009, 09:07 PM
I agree about this being a terrible defensive team. We won't get anywhere with this defense. Wonder if Bowen being on the bench affects it so much.

Dex
01-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Udoka just passed the ball to the Sixers, then Finley tipped it in for them.

How much are these guys paying out, cuz I want some of that.

xtremesteven33
01-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Horrible basketball.

Sixers as a very athletic team and that always gives this spurs team problems. I also doesnt help that Spurs are struggling with rotation defense.

Spurs just need to forget about this loss and look foward to tomorrow.

pawe
Good thing the Hornets are down tonight. NO and Lakers loss please.

Bruno
:rollin Spurs fans are melting down.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-16-2009, 09:12 PM
:rollin Spurs fans are melting down.

It's still January but so much for a momentum boost after the win against the Lakers.

*sigh* I think the Spurs record is fools gold once again!

Amuseddaysleeper
01-16-2009, 09:13 PM

Seriously!

Orlando has a good shot at taking out the Laker if they continue their hot 3 point shooting. Lakers aren't that great defensively.

tlongII
01-16-2009, 09:14 PM
The same thing happened to us a couple of nights ago in Philly. They're on a hot streak.

Amuseddaysleeper
So the Elton Brand signing was one they're regretting already? Perhaps it's the Corey Maggette signing of the EC

TheDarkSide.
:rollin Spurs "fans" are melting down.

DPG21920
01-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Dude, how many times do I have to tell you. The Spurs are not like other teams. This was a terrible game. It had nothing to do with the Laker game. The Spurs really do not have "statement" games anymore. The win against the Lakers was just a win. Nothing more. The Spurs do not think they are magically better now. This is a loss, a terrible loss. It shows you that Spurs are not like other teams that get a "big win" then ride that wave.

Austin_Toros
01-16-2009, 09:16 PM
sixers are hot at the moment, however i dont think that explains this game...

Sexy Stud 28
01-16-2009, 09:19 PM
pop knew just like the rest of us 4th qtr down by 15 AT phili their TEAM had a hot hand and lady luck on their side so why keep in your starters on a back to back night when the team has to play in chicago tomorrow? I almost guarantee a win tomorrow night tho TP will be HOT tomorrow!

Reck
01-16-2009, 09:20 PM
This team sucks ball and will get owned all season long.

Capt Bringdown
01-16-2009, 09:21 PM
The win against the Lakers was just a win. Nothing more. The Spurs do not think they are magically better now. This is a loss, a terrible loss. It shows you that Spurs are not like other teams that get a "big win" then ride that wave.

Statement games, momentum, playing consistantly, these are part of basketball at any level. So the Spurs are bigger than the game of basketball now?

So many built-in excuses these days.

Reck
01-16-2009, 09:22 PM

Hornets should win. Lakers should win.

If getting burried in the standings will wake up Pop then by all means they should do that.

BlackSwordsMan
Wow Fire Pop Now!@@

Duncan2177
Spurs lost to the sixers without Elton Brand LOL Pathetic

timtonymanu
01-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Spurs lost to the sixers without Elton Brand LOL Pathetic

the Sixers actually play better without him.

The Sixers had an advantage coming into the game. They had won 5 in a row and we played the Lakers with alot of energy and got tired. disappointed by the loss but im not in panic mode.

urunobili
01-16-2009, 09:26 PM
the are no excuses for not even TRY to play D... it wasn't Pop's fault.. our backcourt has been defending PATHETICALLY bad the opponents three... every body has a great 3 point shooting night against us... the L to the Magic... Fisher 4-4 and now this unproven long range shooting team lighting us up? Manu, Bruce and TP have done nada defensively lately....

td4mvp21
01-16-2009, 09:27 PM
The defense REALLY needs to tighten up. This is unacceptable. I can live with the offensive droughts because, well, that's to be expected but defense as bad as we have played it nearly all season is inexcusable in my opinion.

TDMVPDPOY
where was tp tonight?

DPG21920
Statement games, momentum, playing consistantly, these are part of basketball at any level. So the Spurs are bigger than the game of basketball now?

So many built-in excuses these days.

Wrong. When you are a champion, you do not need games to get you up. You have beaten everyone before and won titles. You do not take comfort and moral victories.

One game does not affect the other.

DPG21920
01-16-2009, 09:31 PM
where is that in any way an excuse for the loss? it was a response to someone saying something about the laker win.

Reck
01-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Wrong. When you are a champion, you do not need games to get you up. You have beaten everyone before and won titles. You do not take comfort and moral victories.

Go tell that to the Boston Celtics.

I'm sure if you would have said that to them prior to last year they would disagree. Every win counts and when times are rough which they are for the Spurs, a win could do wonders.

Yes Spurs are champs, but this is a new year, new season. Old championships count for absolute zero.

DPG21920
01-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Good god. The win vs the Lakers was worth nothing more than a win against the Grizz for the Spurs. Get over it. Fans love those wins.

DPG21920
01-16-2009, 09:35 PM
all wins matter the same. carry the same weight.

m33p0
01-16-2009, 09:36 PM
pop-evaluating-the-bench game.

Spurs Brazil
Defense has been bad all season. It's time to start trying play better

Reck
all wins matter the same. carry the same weight.

Nope.

If you're into a lets say, 5 losing streak or even 15 game losing streak (refer to either Thunder or Clippers) and then you win to bumped the losing streak. That would be one hell of a welcome win. Wins matters.

Brazil
01-16-2009, 09:37 PM
where was tp tonight?

where was Manu tonight?

SpursFan0728
01-16-2009, 09:37 PM
cant blame pop.

He tried every combo possible but non of the spurs players could stop Iguodala and Young.

DPG21920
01-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Nope.

If you're into a lets say, 5 losing streak or even 15 game losing streak (refer to iether Thunder or Clippers) and then you win to bumped the losing streak. That would be one hell of a welcome win. Wins matters.

Yes. wins do matter. does not matter against whom or when. this loss has nothing to do with the lakers win. lakers win = 1 win.

Capt Bringdown
01-16-2009, 09:38 PM

That's absurd. Go check the history of NBA, NCAA, high school, etc.
Teams that play well and have good records tend to win championships, FFS.

Furthermore, sports is about doing your best - not coasting and resting on past accomplishments.

I don't think the Spurs are guilty of any of this, rather some fans are reaching for lame excuses. Spurs simply aren't the defensive team that they have been in previous seasons.

DPG21920
01-16-2009, 09:39 PM
That's absurd. Go check the history of NBA, NCAA, high school, etc.
Teams that play well and have good records tend to win championships, FFS.

Furthermore, sports is about doing your best - not coasting and resting on past accomplishments.

I don't think the Spurs are guilty of any of this, rather some fans are reaching for lame excuses. Spurs simply aren't the defensive team that they have been in previous seasons.

WTF are you talking about? Do the Spurs have a bad record? No. If you do not think the Spurs "coast" somewhat, then you are not a true fan and you must never watch them.

DPG21920
01-16-2009, 09:41 PM
It is not about resting on past accomplishments. That would be like saying experience does not matter because it happened in the past. Do not rest on what you have done, right?

crc21209
01-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Well sometimes it does seem Pop experiments with crap, ship happens. lol. At least NO is down by a lot and LA may lose tonight. Philly is just hot right now, they beat the crap out of Portland the other night 2. No fluke theyre playing some good bball right now.

m33p0
01-16-2009, 10:01 PM
maybe the wifeys giving them something extra before the long road trip.

spurster
01-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Bad defense, bad rebounding, plus 9 lucky points by the Sixers.

Russ
01-16-2009, 10:06 PM
No one will remember anything about tonight except that it was Croshere's first game. :toast

mrspurs
01-16-2009, 10:11 PM
I dont think Pop was responsible for blocking out. Or defending the paint. As for Timmy being disheartned its not the first time. On nights like these its no fun being Timmy. Thats why theres always tomorrow

EricB
01-16-2009, 11:26 PM
Has everyone flushed their systems of the bs yet?

duncan228
01-16-2009, 11:27 PM
"We're supposed to be a pretty good defensive team and it hasn't looked like it for a while," said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich. "We're not the team we've been in the past couple years on the defensive end. It's really troubling."

Yorae
01-16-2009, 11:28 PM
It is troubling.....

Reck
01-16-2009, 11:43 PM
Oh dont worry, after the all star break Spurs will get better. Isn't that how it is? Defy suckness and get elite magically.

m33p0
01-17-2009, 12:04 AM
"We're supposed to be a pretty good defensive team and it hasn't looked like it for a while," said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich. "We're not the team we've been in the past couple years on the defensive end. It's really troubling."
sounds to me that pop is setting the team up for this... http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3336/3202367819_a232cce099_o.jpg

Reck
01-17-2009, 12:05 AM
sounds to me that pop is setting the team up for this... http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3336/3202367819_a232cce099_o.jpg

:lol

SenorSpur
01-17-2009, 12:25 AM
The defense REALLY needs to tighten up. This is unacceptable. I can live with the offensive droughts because, well, that's to be expected but defense as bad as we have played it nearly all season is inexcusable in my opinion.

The object of the game is to put the ball in the basket. However, I was thinking that this team has quietly morphed into an average defensive team that plays very poorly, at times. Pop has officially sold his defensive soul for offense.

wisnub
01-17-2009, 12:39 AM
well he was definitely fucking with the lineups tonight. but still. as losss is a loss in this WEst where anybody could end up 2nd or 8th in the Conference.

Spurs came out lazy and got their assess kicked. what an embarrassment. a championship team at least has some pride not to lose like this.

these kind of losses make me think spurs are NOT a championship team.

I agree....Pop should have some pride not to messed up rotations tonight. Pop thinking weak team like 76ers doesnt count,well that is too much arrogance testing out players and saving energy for what? next back to back game? My heart was sad looking at Duncan's face when he wanted to do something but other bigs just wont be able to compete for whatever reasons. I think Celtics will not let their team burned like this. Second halftime was garbage time right from the start and this makes me think Spurs are NOT a championship team.

tp2021
01-17-2009, 12:39 AM
The object of the game is to put the ball in the basket. However, I was thinking that this team has quietly morphed into an average defensive team that plays very poorly, at times. Pop has officially sold his defensive soul for offense.

Slow your roll!

polandprzem
01-17-2009, 12:52 AM
Fvck the rotations

Pop fvcked up in mental aspect. He was doing nothing to wake them up. It was clear that they needed a hard kick but Pop rather wanted them playing so badly (he behaved) like it was normal

wildchild
01-17-2009, 08:07 AM
pop-evaluating-the-bench game.

Agree. Bench game and the new guy Croshere.

mrspurs
01-17-2009, 08:14 AM

100% agreed. It looks like a Nellie coached team out there. But, what do you expect? All we really have is guys who stand behind the arc and launch away. In last seasons POs, I seen TP stop driving to the lanes. Teams finally figured that out. It left Manu as our only man who could drive to the hoop. And I dont see Manu driving to the hoop like he used to. Its basically slow the game down, then stop and pop.

SenorSpur
01-17-2009, 09:19 AM
And in a game against a superiorly-athletic team like the Sixers, those long 3-pt shots only ignite the many fast-break opportunities for the opposition.

urunobili
01-17-2009, 09:37 AM
And in a game against a superiorly-athletic team like the Sixers, those long 3-pt shots only ignite the many fast-break opportunities for the opposition.

I think the actual problem is the way we are defending the 3... every body is shooting it well against us...

exstatic
01-17-2009, 11:28 AM
This loss wasn't on Pop, not in the least. The team was playing like shit, and he put in one of his "shake up" lineups to see if he could spark a run. Occasionally, it works, but most times not. That's not Pop's fault. You can only go so far with the regulars when you have another game the next day.