PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Give Croshere 10-Day Look

duncan228
01-16-2009, 11:08 PM
Spurs give Croshere 10-day look (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_give_Croshere_10-day_look.html)
Jeff McDonald

PHILADELPHIA — Austin Croshere did something Friday he never had before in his 11-year NBA career.

He signed a 10-day contract.

In what amounts to a low-cost roll of the dice, the Spurs inked Croshere before their game at Philadelphia.

“I've never been on a 10-day before,” Croshere said after a morning shootaround at the Wachovia Center, his first with the Spurs. “I don't even know the rules that go along with that.”

All Croshere does know is this: He has 10 days to show the Spurs something that might cause them to ask him to stick around a while longer.

Croshere notched two points and six rebounds in seven minutes of action in the Spurs' loss to the Philadelphia 76ers on Friday night.

A 6-foot-10 shooting forward, Croshere became available after being waived by Milwaukee in a cost-saving maneuver on Jan. 6. When the Spurs contacted him not long after, Croshere says, he was “instantly interested.”

The Spurs are under no delusions that the 33-year-old Croshere is the missing piece to inspire fear in the rest of the Western Conference. But they think he might be able to help.

He has 10 days to prove them right.

“It's the kind of thing we'll often do during the year,” said coach Gregg Popovich, who once brought in Glenn Robinson and Damon Stoudamire as midseason additions. “We'll take a look at other people, in this case a veteran who has been a solid player in the league. We have 10 days to let him get used to what we do and see if he fits into the program in some way.”

Croshere wore No. 22 for the Spurs, after donning 44 in his four previous NBA stops. His preferred number, once worn by George Gervin, has been retired by the Spurs.

“My kids helped me pick a new one,” he said.

Most readily identified by the nine seasons he spent with Indiana, Croshere, has averaged 6.8 points and four rebounds, while shooting 40.8 percent from the field.

At his best, he could provide what the Spurs had hoped to get out of recently released Anthony Tolliver.

“This is the way this worked out,” Croshere said. “You don't question it. You just try to make the most of it.”

No more buzzer-beaters: Heading into Friday's game, the Spurs were 7-2 in games decided by three points or less, winning more such games than any team in the league.

That included a 108-106 victory over the 76ers on a Tony Parker buzzer-beater earlier this month.

The way Popovich figures it, all the Spurs are doing is tempting karma.

“What goes around comes around,” he said. “Ours will come on the other end. The law of averages always catches up to you.”

Sigz
01-16-2009, 11:11 PM
He white.

Russ
01-17-2009, 12:33 AM
2008-09 -- BC and AC. :toast

raspsa
01-17-2009, 12:36 AM
Projected for 48 minutes, thats around 13 points and 40 rebounds per game!! WOW.lol

Yorae
01-17-2009, 01:00 AM
The new twin tower!!!!! (sigh)

Spur-Addict
01-17-2009, 01:11 AM
Boo this man, boo.

spurscenter
01-17-2009, 02:43 AM
spurs signed Dwyane Schintzius?

YoMamaIsCallin
01-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Hey, stop the hate. Croshere is a decent player. Yes he's white. So the hell what.

exstatic
01-17-2009, 11:33 AM
My guess is this is really a 20 day trial. They'll sign him to another 10 day when this is done. They need a larger sample of games and some practices before they make their decision.

de Soto
01-17-2009, 11:37 AM
The way Popovich figures it, all the Spurs are doing is tempting karma.

“What goes around comes around,” he said. “Ours will come on the other end. The law of averages always catches up to you.”

Good to know that the coach is so confident in his team's future. It showed too. :bang

Ghost Writer
01-17-2009, 12:10 PM
"A 6-foot-10 shooting forward"

Horry, Ferry...

The tradition continues.

How about giving a looked-over 6'8 athletic swingman a shot?

ChumpDumper
01-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Which one?

Shastafarian
01-17-2009, 04:02 PM

Horry, Ferry...

The tradition continues.

do you mean over-looked?

Ocotillo
01-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Croshere wore No. 22 for the Spurs, after donning 44 in his four previous NBA stops. His preferred number, once worn by George Gervin, has been retired by the Spurs.

“My kids helped me pick a new one,” he said.

How'd that conversation go?

Croshere: Hey kids! I just signed with the Spurs and have to pick a new number because I can't wear 44 anymore.

Kid: How about 22 'cause you're half the player you used to be Dad?

Behrooz24
01-17-2009, 04:34 PM

Croshere: Hey kids! I just signed with the Spurs and have to pick a new number because I can't wear 44 anymore.

Kid: How about 22 'cause you're half the player you used to be Dad?

That's cold http://smiliesftw.com/x/hsdance.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

EricB
01-17-2009, 04:53 PM

Horry, Ferry...

The tradition continues.

Yeah they were all key to championship runs

but yeah lets not do that again.

ChumpDumper
01-17-2009, 04:54 PM

Kid: How about 22 'cause you're half the player you used to be Dad?:lol Good one.

Brutalis
01-17-2009, 06:01 PM
This is a desperate move by the Spurs. One that will end in a waive of Croshere.

Fact is we are going nowhere in the playoffs unless we get another athletic big man on the floor to help Tim.

DPG21920
01-17-2009, 06:23 PM
to be honest, i would rather see them sign tolliver to a ten day then AC. lets give him a couple more looks.