PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Mohammed fits in on one front

Kori Ellis
03-01-2005, 01:14 AM
Spurs notebook: Mohammed fits in on one front
Web Posted: 03/01/2005 12:00 AM CST

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA030105.5D.BKNspurs.notebook.f3d3d75b.html

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

CLEVELAND — If the Spurs had any concerns about whether Nazr Mohammed would fit in with the team, they probably dismissed them after his first foul shot Monday.

It fell a foot short of the rim.

Only four days after being traded from New York, Mohammed has inherited his new team's free-throw shooting skills. If only the Spurs' playbook were that easy to digest.

The rest of Mohammed's evening went a bit better — he contributed six points and six rebounds in 16 minutes in the Spurs' 94-92 victory over Cleveland. He also picked up four fouls in his limited time on the floor, but some of that was to be expected considering he has yet to practice with the Spurs.

"I thought Nazr did a fine job, for not knowing anything about what we do," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "Six points and six rebounds in that time were real good for a new guy."

Mohammed's toughest challenge is learning the Spurs' defensive terminology. Instead of reacting, he was thinking about what he needed to do.

Mohammed, who was traded by the New York Knicks in exchange for Malik Rose and a pair of first-round picks, didn't arrive in San Antonio until Friday afternoon. He has worked out with the coaches, but hadn't received any court time with his teammates until Monday night.

"Awkward," Mohammed said, describing how he felt on the court. "At the same time it felt good. In the second half, I felt a lot looser. My rhythm was a little bit off, but I was just excited about the game."

Super Manu: Manu Ginobili missed five free throws in the final quarter, three in the last 33.2 seconds. But he didn't have any trouble getting to the line.

Ginobili shot 12 free throws in the final quarter, most of which were the result of his aggressiveness. He scored seven of the Spurs' first nine points of the fourth quarter to help erase Cleveland's six-point lead. He did so by repeatedly attacking the basket.

"He didn't have a great night on the line," Popovich said, "but his competitiveness was there."

Looking golden: LeBron James might not have played as much as he preferred in last summer's Olympics, but Popovich thinks the Cleveland star probably benefited from the experience.

Popovich served as an assistant to Team USA coach Larry Brown during the Athens Games.

"Larry was a taskmaster," Popovich said. "He wants things done first defensively. Initially, I'm not sure LeBron was buying it and understood what Larry wanted. But as each day went by LeBron was better at it and became a sponge."

The disappointment of not winning the gold medal, Popovich thinks, also has motivated James.

"As crazy as it is, I think you see LeBron, in his second year, already maturing as a leader," he said.

ro_50
03-01-2005, 01:37 AM
I think Nazr will get comfortable and contribute here.

Solid D
03-01-2005, 02:10 AM
http://www.spursinfo.com/photos/spurs/050228/050228_3.jpg

Pandaemonaeon
03-01-2005, 04:00 AM
Has Nazr found his groove yet? He was awesome in New York earlier in the season, but for the past 2 months he's been playing like shit. I was hoping San Antonio could probably help him turn his game around again.

cqsallie
03-01-2005, 05:10 AM
I would think that all Spurs' fans were chanting "Nazri, Nazri," when he approached the foul line. That he did what he had to do in a new uniform, only days away from home, is as much a tribute to him as what Malik did on Sunday.
Maybe class players understand that "it's only a business" better than NBA fans ever will. I'm happy for both Nazr and Malik. They put on foreign uniforms and trod on foreign soil - and showed the world that they were up to the task.
I don't think I'll ever feel the same way about loyalty again, but we all have to grow up sometime, eh?

Rummpd
03-01-2005, 07:36 AM
This guy looked pretty good to me last night all things considered (and he is apparently still bothered by a groin injury).

To me this trade looks like a win win for both sides. I will root one of my previous favorites, Rose on for great success in NY and believe that without "the doghouse" he will flourish there.

However, this Nazr guy also seems like a nice person and potentially even a better player.

No worries.

waly.mg
03-01-2005, 09:26 AM
If Nazr Make his FT, he can get back to NY
The Big Guys of the Team canīt have better FT % than Duncan because is unrespectful to Timmy

Jimcs50
03-01-2005, 09:33 AM
If Nazr Make his FT, he can get back to NY
The Big Guys of the Team canīt have better FT % than Duncan because is unrespectful to Timmy

That is why Rose's FT shooting was bad this year, he knew that very thing, and was trying to change Pop's mind about trading him.....it did not work.

Now that he is in NY, he will be an 80% shooter again.

sa_butta
03-01-2005, 09:49 AM
He did just as well as Rasho in half the time
N. Mohammed 6 boards 6 points in 16min of play
R. Nesterovic 6 boars 8 points in 32min of play
that may not be saying much but what if Mohammed played
32min. he could of had 12 and 12

Solid D
03-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Now how about at the other end of the court, sa butta?

coz
03-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Rasho did a great job on Z in the second half. Nazr didn't. I'm as bitter at Rasho as the next guy, but I'm not ready to bench him yet.

fonzy16
03-01-2005, 10:36 AM
groin injury? what's that? does that mean rasho's got more ballz then him? :)