PDA

View Full Version : Dale Davis picks the Pacers

Kori Ellis
03-01-2005, 01:24 AM
Davis spurns Pistons, chooses to rejoin Pacers

More playing time and his relationship with Indiana's brass were keys to decision.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/pistons/0503/01/F01-103805.htm

By Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Finally, about 9 p.m. EST, Dale Davis made his decision.

The 35-year-old center will sign with the Indiana Pacers, once he clears waivers, and he will be eligible for the playoffs.

As many as six teams were interested in the 6-foot-11 Davis, who was acquired by New Orleans last week and bought out of the last year of his contract. But in the end, Davis chose the Pacers over the Pistons.

"Let me tell you, this was so tough for him," said James "Chubby" Wells, Davis' agent. "It was really like splitting hairs. He really liked Detroit, too. He has a lot of respect for Larry (Brown, who coached him for four seasons in Indiana) and Rasheed (Wallace, his teammate in Portland).

"But his relationship with (Pacers CEO) Donnie Walsh and (president) Larry Bird goes back a long way."

Davis also liked the fact that the Pacers would offer him more playing time -- he would have been the fourth big man in Detroit -- and were interested in re-signing him for next season.

"I was amazed at all the interest there was in having Dale play beyond this season," Wells said. "Hopefully he will get there, play well and those same opportunities will be there next year."

Davis will be placed on waivers this morning.

To clear up some misinformation: In order to be eligible for the playoffs, players have to be placed on waivers before March 1.

If they clear waivers and are signed subsequent to that, they are still eligible. It has been written here and other places that players had to sign with teams by March 1 to be eligible. That is incorrect.

The Pistons might now turn their attention toward signing 6-8 power forward Don Reid.

SpursFanInAustin
03-01-2005, 01:26 AM
This should make Pooh a happy man. DD reunited with Reggie in his last season.

pooh
03-01-2005, 01:34 AM
Actually I thought Davis would leap to the Pistons. I won't be totally happy until Artest comes back.

Rummpd
03-01-2005, 07:00 AM
Is he coming back or not?

Could shake up the East some.

FromWayDowntown
03-01-2005, 11:03 AM
Actually I thought Davis would leap to the Pistons. I won't be totally happy until Artest comes back.

So, you're planning on remaining only quasi-happy until next basketball season. Stern made it pretty clear at All-Star weekend that he isn't inclined to let Artest back at any point this season.

By the way, I was in Indy this last weekend, and the Pacer fans I talked to thought Artest was a fool and deserved what he got.

T Park
03-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Artest is just misunderstood FWD dont you know that :rolleyes

Better Indiana than Detroit or Miami IMO.