PDA

View Full Version : High energy George Hill answers questions

BuzzerBeater
01-17-2009, 04:55 PM
(This is the post I said last week I'd make when the pictures were available)

Last Friday I got the opportunity to meet the rookie sensation George Hill. In anticipation of the meeting, my son David bought me a Spurs basketball from the AT&T Center so that we could get him to autograph it. That was my hookup, David's station arranged for fans to meet the newest Spur at the radio station for a Q&A session, David asked if I would like to go and I said "are you kidding?!!!
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk79/havona0869/dadghill2.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk79/havona0869/hill-basketball-web2.jpg
David (aka DJ Quake) was asked to set up his turntables and mix tunes there to charge up the atmosphere while directly above him a big monitor showed some of #3's best highlights from past games.

When George came in, I expected him to feel inhibited because the room was small and we were a group of 12 or so but uh-uh, he was engaging, upbeat and not at all shy, giving us great answers to our questions like "which Spur does he look up most to on the team" - Jacque Vaughn
He also said he has a lot of respect for Finley since he went through a lot to lose weight so as to stay competitive.
Another question was "What's the biggest difference between Indianapolis and San Antonio?" - George said how he can go outside in shorts and not freeze to death, also, he feels safer here than there, that he notices that difference.

"Does he always eat healthy and stay away from junk food?" - he said he eats anything and everything but he has stopped drinking a lot of soda, and has a special weakness for chicken pot pie.:lol

When it was my turn I asked him how on earth did he play so effectively with injuries, recalling how he played with a broken foot one time in college and scored 19 points and then he broke his thumb at training camp with the Spurs but played several games with that injury; he said that he plays through the injuries and that with Tony out he had no choice but try to be successful since the team was counting on him.

Someone then asked him about later on down the road, would he ever leave the Spurs to go play for more money elsewhere.
Surprisingly, he said that he's seen what getting too much money has done to many players as regards the lack of motivation to keep playing well after the big new salaries kick in. He seemed to also want to get across to us that he basically is the same now that he was in high school and college, didn't want to fall into the same traps that a lot of young players do when they cope with playing in the NBA, and impressed us further by saying that one thing his grandfather told him was for him to be a man of his word.

Then he volunteered to explain how much money is paid in taxes salary-wise by NBA players, that out of 80 million dollars almost half goes to the government so he's not really that rich with his present salary as the rest of us rolled our eyes making him smile, he was enjoying the teasing.
That was when he said that living up north, there is that "element" that "goes after" those that have money, thus his appreciation of that not being the case living here in San Antonio, according to George.

After taking a snapshot with him, I thanked him for bringing a ready-to-go game at a time that we really need it since we had Tony and Manu out. Then he went to David's dj rig and asked him questions about his mixes.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk79/havona0869/ghillquake2.jpg

timvp
01-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Cool story :tu

And Hill has a slick autograph.

DannyT
01-17-2009, 05:05 PM
nice shit...whos dj quake and where can we hear his mixes

ClingingMars
01-17-2009, 05:08 PM
wow! that's pretty cool.

-Mars

duncan228
01-17-2009, 05:15 PM
What a great story. It's nice to hear that Hill seems to be as down-to-earth as he appears. He's a nice fit for this team, on and off the court. Thanks for sharing.

BuzzerBeater
01-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Yeah timvp, he signs his pics that same way w/#3 close to his name.

DJ Quake has the 11pm to 1am Friday night slot on power106.7, works there during the day with production, does Friday nights at Bombay ranch and a slew of other nite spots (shameless plugtime.):lol

DannyT
01-17-2009, 05:34 PM
cool cool but does he have any mix tapes that he sales or that we can download...I have heard him cut it up before so just wondering...is there anyway to get his tapes with out the weak 106.7 plugins

angelbelow
01-17-2009, 07:14 PM
hill has been awesome in interviews from beginning to now. always enjoy hearing him talk about the spurs.

DannyT
01-23-2009, 05:10 AM
http://power1067fm.com/slideshow/inpage/george-hill-meet-n-greet/9

I just saw that you had these pictures posted...they get blocked at work....I was gonna ask if this was you ....lol

koriwhat
01-23-2009, 05:59 AM
GH3!

timtonymanu
01-23-2009, 06:13 AM
i have so much respect for George Hill. this guy has really proven everybody wrong and also seems like a humble guy on and off the court.

Props to the FO for getting this guy!

TDMVPDPOY
01-23-2009, 06:40 AM
ur lucky gh3 isnt gay, or else he wouldve buttsecks all 12 right there

MoSpur
01-23-2009, 12:56 PM
I like the autograph as well. Very cool of you to share and very cool of G Hill to be so down to earth.

zinagray
01-23-2009, 02:02 PM
That is a awsome article. I am glad Hill is a part of the Spurs. He is a good fit for the team.

Dr. Gonzo
01-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Nice story. He is one of the Spurs that I would really like to meet.

bigdog
01-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Seems like a good guy. Glad the Spurs picked him up. I hope he stays with the Spurs for a long time.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Nice! Sounds like a great, down-to-earth kid. Hope he's a Spur for a long time to come.

However, we should trade him for Marcin Gortat, seriouslah... :lmao

Buddy Holly
01-23-2009, 08:07 PM
WOW. its that indian again from the spurs games. Jack Nicholson for the Spurs.

Is he at every fucking

That's not the same guy. And the guy in the picture isn't even Indian. wtf?

milkyway21
01-23-2009, 08:11 PM
(This is the post I said last week I'd make when the pictures were available)

Last Friday I got the opportunity to meet the rookie sensation George Hill. In anticipation of the meeting, my son David bought me a Spurs basketball from the AT&T Center so that we could get him to autograph it. That was my hookup, David's station arranged for fans to meet the newest Spur at the radio station for a Q&A session, David asked if I would like to go and I said "are you kidding?!!!
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk79/havona0869/dadghill2.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk79/havona0869/hill-basketball-web2.jpg
David (aka DJ Quake) was asked to set up his turntables and mix tunes there to charge up the atmosphere while directly above him a big monitor showed some of #3's best highlights from past games.

When George came in, I expected him to feel inhibited because the room was small and we were a group of 12 or so but uh-uh, he was engaging, upbeat and not at all shy, giving us great answers to our questions like "which Spur does he look up most to on the team" - Jacque Vaughn
He also said he has a lot of respect for Finley since he went through a lot to lose weight so as to stay competitive.
Another question was "What's the biggest difference between Indianapolis and San Antonio?" - George said how he can go outside in shorts and not freeze to death, also, he feels safer here than there, that he notices that difference.

"Does he always eat healthy and stay away from junk food?" - he said he eats anything and everything but he has stopped drinking a lot of soda, and has a special weakness for chicken pot pie.:lol

When it was my turn I asked him how on earth did he play so effectively with injuries, recalling how he played with a broken foot one time in college and scored 19 points and then he broke his thumb at training camp with the Spurs but played several games with that injury; he said that he plays through the injuries and that with Tony out he had no choice but try to be successful since the team was counting on him.

Someone then asked him about later on down the road, would he ever leave the Spurs to go play for more money elsewhere.
Surprisingly, he said that he's seen what getting too much money has done to many players as regards the lack of motivation to keep playing well after the big new salaries kick in. He seemed to also want to get across to us that he basically is the same now that he was in high school and college, didn't want to fall into the same traps that a lot of young players do when they cope with playing in the NBA, and impressed us further by saying that one thing his grandfather told him was for him to be a man of his word.

Then he volunteered to explain how much money is paid in taxes salary-wise by NBA players, that out of 80 million dollars almost half goes to the government so he's not really that rich with his present salary as the rest of us rolled our eyes making him smile, he was enjoying the teasing.
That was when he said that living up north, there is that "element" that "goes after" those that have money, thus his appreciation of that not being the case living here in San Antonio, according to George.

After taking a snapshot with him, I thanked him for bringing a ready-to-go game at a time that we really need it since we had Tony and Manu out. Then he went to David's dj rig and asked him questions about his mixes.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk79/havona0869/ghillquake2.jpg

What a nice story. Nice pics.

Jacque Vaughn impressed me now . He seemed unaffected losing his spot to Hill.

Thanks for sharing those pictures and showing his cool sig.

:reading Hope there's a forum here where we can see all the fans' pictures with our favorite Spurs.

I think he'll stay a Spur for a long time & it's a relief. I hope to see this guy a Spur in the future.

:wakeup

rAm
01-23-2009, 08:13 PM
looks like him to me

Is he at every fucking

BuzzerBeater
01-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Sorry for the delay but I was out of town, a friend's passing.

cool cool but does he have any mix tapes that he sales or that we can download...I have heard him cut it up before so just wondering...is there anyway to get his tapes with out the weak 106.7 plugins

DannyT, I'll PM you with info about Quakes mixes

I just saw that you had these pictures posted...they get blocked at work....I was gonna ask if this was you ....lol

Yeah that's me there, laughing with the other guy, I think about George's statement maintaining that he was not really that rich but he's got a point there, in relation to other mega salaries around the league.

Is he at every fucking

looks like him to me
Umm, no, I'm not the Valvoline guy. I think he's got the local distributorship for Valvoline here in SA or is the district manager for it, or something like that.

Thanks to everyone who appreciated the info and I feel like all those here that anticipate great things from #3, glad to be there at the beginning of his professional career and looking for more out of him as the playoffs loom on the horizon.:toast

DannyT
01-24-2009, 03:31 PM
thanks dude I will be on the look out...