PDA

View Full Version : Slumdog Milionare

MannyIsGod
01-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Has anyone else seen this? I thought it was pretty damn good.

resistanze
01-17-2009, 05:10 PM
I thought it kinda lost steam at the end, but overall a real solid film.

Dr. Gonzo
01-17-2009, 05:50 PM
I watched it last night and thought it was great. I thought it was better than The Wrestler and I thought that movie was incredible.

InRareForm
01-17-2009, 07:37 PM
solid movie, very creative plot, predictable at times, but still well done.

balli
01-17-2009, 07:42 PM
I liked it a lot. Despite some already mentioned problems, it just had a real modern, vibrant, almost indescribably optimistic edge to it. It made my cynical ass want to move to India.

Twisted_Dawg
01-17-2009, 09:34 PM
Awesome movie. Saw it last week.

mexicanjunior
01-19-2009, 12:08 PM
I thought it was really good, especially the tension of the last couple of questions. Very cool story and the acting was really good considering all these guys were unknowns. The only part that brought me down was the India call center scenes, they reminded me of why I was laid off a few years ago...

Cry Havoc
01-19-2009, 03:30 PM
I liked it a lot. Despite some already mentioned problems, it just had a real modern, vibrant, almost indescribably optimistic edge to it. It made my cynical ass want to move to India.

I almost felt the complete opposite. The depictions of the slums, the business of making slaves out of the children there left me with a grim, sad picture of that city.

However, it was a wonderfully moving experience, and I applaud the director for taking time to show the "real" city, instead of a Hollywoodized version where everyone is rich and prosperous.

The girl in the lead is absolutely gorgeous, as well. Among the most beautiful of the stars anywhere.

balli
01-19-2009, 03:49 PM
I almost felt the complete opposite. The depictions of the slums, the business of making slaves out of the children there left me with a grim, sad picture of that city.

However, it was a wonderfully moving experience, and I applaud the director for taking time to show the "real" city, instead of a Hollywoodized version where everyone is rich and prosperous.

The girl in the lead is absolutely gorgeous, as well. Among the most beautiful of the stars anywhere.
If you haven't seen it, stop reading.

It certainly touched on horrible social ills. And did a good job of making them feel repulsive. And I also applaud the depiction. But I think said depiction wholly served as a contrast point to the India depicted in the second half of the movie.

Like the main character says in that scene where he and his brother are teenagers, Mumbai had become Mumbai. Again, there's that scene where they're fighting in the high rise and later looking at all the skyscrapers being built over the slums. I guess, IMO, the depiction of that growth and India's rise out of the third world was very well done. It just felt very young and fresh and hip and it feels like there's this whole generation over there who just figured out what the modern world is. And even if it's still corrupt, or still a caste based system, the second half of the movie depicted a rapidly changing, optimistic society whose collective relief, felt palpable to me, as a viewer. And besides, the plot/ending addressed the nature of how valuable that slum upbringing may have really been. So they even found optimism in that.

mFFL03
01-19-2009, 06:08 PM
best movie of the year.

sonic21
01-19-2009, 06:52 PM
very good movie.
i miss India, i used to go there every 3 years.

Cry Havoc
01-19-2009, 07:22 PM
If you haven't seen it, stop reading.

It certainly touched on horrible social ills. And did a good job of making them feel repulsive. And I also applaud the depiction. But I think said depiction wholly served as a contrast point to the India depicted in the second half of the movie.

Like the main character says in that scene where he and his brother are teenagers, Mumbai had become Mumbai. Again, there's that scene where they're fighting in the high rise and later looking at all the skyscrapers being built over the slums. I guess, IMO, the depiction of that growth and India's rise out of the third world was very well done. It just felt very young and fresh and hip and it feels like there's this whole generation over there who just figured out what the modern world is. And even if it's still corrupt, or still a caste based system, the second half of the movie depicted a rapidly changing, optimistic society whose collective relief, felt palpable to me, as a viewer. And besides, the plot/ending addressed the nature of how valuable that slum upbringing may have really been. So they even found optimism in that.

----- SPOILER ALERT ------

I suppose. It was just exceedingly difficult to see the children tortured in the movie. I almost retched when the kids eyes were burned. I'm sure that still happens, but it was not easy to see.

I think the movie was extremely balanced, though. For every time something good happened, it came with it's share of (literal) shit. It's a happy ending, but his brother is killed at the same time. I guess it's good that he attempted to atone for his sins, but just as he realizes what's going on, he effectively commits suicide.

Some parts of the movie were predictable, others not so much. Did you see the part where his brother caps the former slaveowner happening? I did not, well, not until I saw him reach for the carpet.

Great movie though. Probably the best I saw in 2008.

Brickhouse
01-19-2009, 09:12 PM
The ending wasn't as strong as the beginning, but the film was very good, probably the best I've seen this year, especially in comparison to some of the other nominated shit.

The child actors were the best, and the adult female lead was very hot.

IronMexican
01-19-2009, 09:24 PM
I've heard nothing but good things for this movie.

MannyIsGod
01-19-2009, 10:06 PM
I think the earlier parts were better because the child actors were so damn good. They were so damn good at conveying their terror or elation at any given point.

1Parker1
01-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Awesome movie...I urge everyone to go see it. :tu

IX_Equilibrium
01-20-2009, 09:28 AM
It's a great film. It is much more of a film than most of the utter shit that most Americans watch. I don't know how mainstream America will take it, but if it doesn't do well in the masses, that's probably not a bad thing.

Slydragon
01-26-2009, 12:26 AM
----- SPOILER ALERT ------

I think the movie was extremely balanced, though. For every time something good happened, it came with it's share of (literal) shit. It's a happy ending, but his brother is killed at the same time. I guess it's good that he attempted to atone for his sins, but just as he realizes what's going on, he effectively commits suicide.

I kept thinking his brother was going to show up in the dance that they did at the end of the movie and it would have made me feel better :lol

slayermin
01-26-2009, 02:12 AM
Was it as good as Salaam Bombay?

Anyone watch Let the Right One in?

koriwhat
01-26-2009, 03:01 AM
i wish i could've got my money back and just saw a shitty bootleg copy... it wasn't anything spectacular and i don't see why it is getting so much praise around the world. is it because it's in english and the actors portray more american traits then indian?

it was alright i suppose but overall pretty damn cheesy.

mogrovejo
01-26-2009, 11:10 AM
It's like Bambi, with the baby deer being some Indian. Over-emotional and manipulative in a too transparent and explicit way. Very primitive stuff and too cheesy. It's like A Cidade de Deus - a decent but not good film - in a Disney version. Extremely appealing to simpler souls, I guess; acceptable to watch at Mam&Dad's place on a Sunday afternoon visit; it's that kind of situational film, emotionally cheap. Yeah, a Bambi for adults (who haven't grown up intellectually).

Slydragon
01-26-2009, 12:17 PM
It's like Bambi, with the baby deer being some Indian. Over-emotional and manipulative in a too transparent and explicit way. Very primitive stuff and too cheesy. It's like A Cidade de Deus - a decent but not good film - in a Disney version. Extremely appealing to simpler souls, I guess; acceptable to watch at Mam&Dad's place on a Sunday afternoon visit; it's that kind of situational film, emotionally cheap. Yeah, a Bambi for adults (who haven't grown up intellectually).

You know I just realize something. I'm 28 and never seen Bambi. The only time I have seen parts of it is when Disney would show the commercial for the DVDs.

ComfortablyNumb
01-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Sounds like one worth watching.

G-Nob
01-26-2009, 12:34 PM
It was good until they did that cheesy dance at the end.

Dr. Gonzo
01-26-2009, 01:47 PM

Wow, you sound smart.

balli
01-26-2009, 02:12 PM
:rolleyes
Yeah, you're being a dumbass, but I agree enough about feeling manipulated. I still thought it was a great movie, but it didn't take many risks in terms of appeal and furthermore it used it's content in a somewhat emotionally predatory way. Sort of the cinematic equivalent of Jack Johnson and Ben Harper imo, but much better. But who cares? It was still great. The cinematography was beautiful. Whatever formula the story predicated itself on may have been cheap, but it was still evocative and rarely do such predictably simple films go so far in using their cheap ploys to form an ultimately valuable and real emotional experience. The acting was excellent. The narrative was just brilliantly engaging.

So don't pretend you're the only one who has the lofty intellectual wit to see this as an emotion driven, formula film. Hell, plenty of reviews are describing it as "classic Hollywood" in the sense that it's rather apparently a well-established formula. What's ironic, is that everybody but you has been smart enough to figure out that sometimes, when it's done well enough, formula doesn't matter.

Heath Ledger
01-26-2009, 02:14 PM
is this movie dubbed? or does it have subtitles?

balli
01-26-2009, 02:19 PM
is this movie dubbed? or does it have subtitles?

The characters speak English the majority of the time. The Hindi parts are subtitled.

Chief
01-26-2009, 06:17 PM
I loved this movie, My Grandparents were Indian.

I can tell you firsthand the manipulation of kids still goes on, in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, al those countries. The slums do exist and look exactly as they do in the movie. I loved this movie so much because it was so realistic.

And it used real Indian Actors

The host of Who wants to be a millionaire is Anil Kapoor one of India's longest running actors and most popular. The 2 Police officers in the beginning of the movie play officers in indian movies 90% of the time.

Very Very well depicted, lifelike portrayal of underprivileged children lives.

mogrovejo
01-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Yeah, you're being a dumbass, but I agree enough about feeling manipulated. I still thought it was a great movie, but it didn't take many risks in terms of appeal and furthermore it used it's content in a somewhat emotionally predatory way. Sort of the cinematic equivalent of Jack Johnson and Ben Harper imo, but much better. But who cares? It was still great. The cinematography was beautiful. Whatever formula the story predicated itself on may have been cheap, but it was still evocative and rarely do such predictably simple films go so far in using their cheap ploys to form an ultimately valuable and real emotional experience. The acting was excellent. The narrative was just brilliantly engaging.

So don't pretend you're the only one who has the lofty intellectual wit to see this as an emotion driven, formula film. Hell, plenty of reviews are describing it as "classic Hollywood" in the sense that it's rather apparently a well-established formula. What's ironic, is that everybody but you has been smart enough to figure out that sometimes, when it's done well enough, formula doesn't matter.

It's not done well enough. ET is done well enough, not this. I like to be manipulated when watching a movie, I just don't like bad cinema.

Sorry to come out as rude, I didn't read the previous reviews before writing mine.

Slydragon
01-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Whats the name of that song that plays when they are in the train roofs and selling stuff on the train?

balli
01-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Whats the name of that song that plays when they are in the train roofs and selling stuff on the train?
:tu cool song... all about slangin herb and smack- Paper Planes. I downloaded the OST just for that song.

7sei-eEjy4g

sonic21
01-27-2009, 04:35 PM
awesome movie.
i didn't want to see this movie because i watched too many indian movies (my parents are indians) but my little sister is a fan of Dev Patel who also played in the show "skins".
So we went to see it and i didn't regret it.
best movie since There will be blood.

mFFL03
01-27-2009, 09:40 PM

"O..Saya", you can find it on I-Tunes. It's got an awesome tribal beat, but don't play it too loud, you'll start getting weird looks.

Are people actually dogging on this movie because it's "not complex" enough? Give me a break.

It's about three of the most primitive things known to man: survival, success, and happiness.

I'm going to hurl if any of those other movies win. America needs a great uplifting survival tale this year....and this is it.

Brickhouse
01-28-2009, 05:55 AM

:tu great take

If you didn't like the film, whatever. Don't go around saying people who did are intellectually retarded. You sound like a fucking tool.

I'm going to hurl if any of those other movies win. America needs a great uplifting survival tale this year....and this is it.

Benjamin Button, The Reader, Revolutionary Road were all average fare. It seems like a it's a weak year for movies. Slumdog should win it.

slayermin
01-29-2009, 06:52 AM
Salaam Bombay>Slumdog

ATRAIN
01-30-2009, 10:13 PM
I Loved This Movie

monosylab1k
01-31-2009, 12:18 AM
It seems like a it's a weak year for movies.

It's been an atrocious year for movies....well, at least for the movies being nominated for Oscars. Like I said before, there's at least 10 movies that came out in 2007 that are better than anything in 2008.

ShoogarBear
01-31-2009, 02:32 AM
I liked it a lot, but agree that Salaam Bombay carrieda bigger emotional impact (although it's been 20 years since I saw it) .

The kid actors blew me away. Their adult counterparts weren't nearly as convincing as being from the streets.

The title sequence could have come off as corny, but instead was a lot of fun.

I knew what the final question was going to be as soon as they established the information in the beginning of the movie. (I've always been good at that: I knew what Rosebud would be as soon as I saw it and figured out what the twist was in The Sixth Sense as soon as the kid said "I see dead people".)

slayermin
01-31-2009, 03:40 AM
I liked it a lot, but agree that Salaam Bombay carrieda bigger emotional impact (although it's been 20 years since I saw it) .

I hate to admit it, but Salaam Bombay brought a tear to my eye. Great movie. Though Danny Boyle made one of my all time favorite films, Trainspotting, Mira Nair is Indian and she added a more personal touch to her masterpiece.

Slumdog is a very good film. Just didn't think it's an instant classic or timeless as other great Indian films I have seen.

Cry Havoc
02-01-2009, 01:33 AM

A LOT of great movies are transparent and manipulative. Was Schindler's List exactly shy about it? What about The Shawshank Redemption when he crawls out of the sludge of the sewer and stands lifting his arms to the rain? How are those not completely obvious moments where the movie is intentionally making us feel one way by a classic plot device?

So, genius movie buff who's obviously just too intelligent for the other posters here.... what are some movies you'd recommend? What are your favorites? Keep in mind that I'm going to turn a blatantly critical eye to them, just as you've done with Slumdog. We'll see how they stack up.

Taco's Troll
04-06-2009, 08:27 AM
I redboxed it over the weekend, DAMN GOOD MOVIE!!

JoeChalupa
04-06-2009, 08:29 AM
I redboxed it over the weekend, DAMN GOOD MOVIE!!

Yeah, I'm redboxing it too.

sonic21
04-06-2009, 08:31 AM
awesome movie indeed

jman3000
04-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Saw it yesterday. I liked it a lot... even though a lot of the scenes were predictable. It was the story it told and the way it told it which was interesting. Like others said, the kid actors, especially the elementary age ones, were spectacular.

Plus that Latika chick is hot.

I love that Indian dancing shit. Cracks me up every time.

jackseven
04-06-2009, 12:10 PM
I don't see why it gets such high remarks. It was watchable, but nothing really above average. Predictable the whole way through. Seemed like a good depiction of the slums (though I have nothing to base that on.)

Its true the kids were way more convincing than the adults.

My grade - 5.3 / 10

koriwhat
04-06-2009, 03:46 PM
A LOT of great movies are transparent and manipulative. Was Schindler's List exactly shy about it? What about The Shawshank Redemption when he crawls out of the sludge of the sewer and stands lifting his arms to the rain? How are those not completely obvious moments where the movie is intentionally making us feel one way by a classic plot device?

So, genius movie buff who's obviously just too intelligent for the other posters here.... what are some movies you'd recommend? What are your favorites? Keep in mind that I'm going to turn a blatantly critical eye to them, just as you've done with Slumdog. We'll see how they stack up.

you've got to be kidding me... you're actually trying to defend SM? movie fuckin' sucked! cinematography was great, but come on the story has to be one of the stupidest i have seen in yrs.

boy gets on who wants to be a millionaire, all his life experiences help him answer each question on who wants to me a millionaire, and some cheesy ass dancing at the end. lame.

go watch a movie like the ones being produced in brazil, spain, france, etc. those are great movies! amelie, city of god, amores perros, etc.

i'd probably rate SM as a 4-5/10.

Fermixalot
04-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Don't get the reason for all the hate, it was a good movie. I still think that the Wrestler was better but this movie is no slouch. The kid actors were great and did outshine their older counterparts.

Is there a hint of racism in the dislike of this movie? Did certain people not understand the fact that the Bollywood dance scene at the end was done tongue-in-cheek?

JoeChalupa
04-06-2009, 04:35 PM
How great a movie is a matter of opinion. Some will like it others will not. Some rate it a 10 others only a 5. Some say Liam Neeson is great others say he sucks. I watched the Wrestler and it was a good movie but not great as everyone said it was. But that is just me. I'm sure I'll like SM but all the hype will probably take away some of it.

koriwhat
04-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Is there a hint of racism in the dislike of this movie?

nope, not from me atleast... i just found the movie to be way too damn predictable with a lame plot to it.

ididnotnothat
04-06-2009, 04:37 PM
nope, not from me atleast... i just found the movie to be way too damn predictable with a lame plot to it.

Most movies are predictable.

koriwhat
04-06-2009, 04:39 PM
oh btw, here's a movie to avoid... "shuttle". fuckin' shitty as hell and oh so predictable it's not funny. a wannabe "taken" set in the usa.

you all do realise that the best of cinema is behind us right? there hasn't been much in the last 15 yrs that would actually get me out of the house and to the theater. i miss the days when i would actually count down the months & days till a specific movie would be released. those days are done.

koriwhat
04-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Most movies are predictable.

that's true, but this one has to rank up there in the top10 of most predictable films.

sonic21
04-06-2009, 04:42 PM

but amelie is also too predictable, cheesy and all (great movie by the way).
it's just many people like this kind of movie because they're feel-good movie with endearing characters,we're just happy after seeing this kind of movie with happy ending.

atxrocker
04-06-2009, 07:58 PM
i went into this movie fully expecting all of the hype surrounding it to cheapen it for me like it usually does but was pleasantly surprised. seen it 3 times and think it's pretty solid.

MiamiHeat
04-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Ciudade De Dios is better.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317248/

monosylab1k
04-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Ciudade De Dios is better.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317248/

I guess the two are kinda sorta comparable, but yes City Of God is way way way way way better than Slumdog.

Xylus
04-07-2009, 02:31 AM
City of God is an excellent film, but the only similarities are superficial. Slumdog Millionaire is almost a hopeful fantasy, City of God is a very realistic portrait of overcoming a violent environment. I loved both movies.

Borosai
04-07-2009, 10:36 AM
I liked it.

Jacob1983
04-12-2009, 11:10 PM
I was surprised by this movie. I really enjoyed it. It had a good story and a happy ending. Freida Pinto is a goddess.