PDA

View Full Version : Roger Mason Jr. Settles In With Spurs After Bouncing Around

duncan228
01-18-2009, 12:37 AM
Roger Mason Jr. settles in with Spurs after bouncing around (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/chi-18-bulls-bits-chicagojan18,0,5301879.story)

Ex-Bull Mason finally finds a home with Spurs
BY K.C. Johnson

Close to seven years have passed since Jerry Krause selected Roger Mason Jr. in the second round of the 2002 draft.

More than four have passed since Toronto waived Mason, and he spent the next 11/2 seasons playing in Greece and then in Jerusalem.

And yet Mason now is starting alongside All-Stars and, in Tim Duncan, a future Hall of Famer while averaging 12.2 points. Moreover, he has three game-winning shots already this season.

"One of the things I've enjoyed most about coaching in the NBA is where somebody makes it who didn't get much respect," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "We purposely try to find those guys because they're not full of themselves, they're very committed, they want to prove something and they're willing to accept roles."

Mason played just 156 minutes in 20 games over parts of two seasons for some awful Bulls teams and was traded to Toronto for Rick Brunson. He averaged 9.1 points last season for Washington.

"I've always been a late bloomer — on every level," said Mason, who attended Virginia. "My first three years, I didn't really get an opportunity and I had injuries coming into the league. But those situations make you who you are.

"No matter what anybody said about me or told me, I just kept working. I feel my career is really just getting started."

The mentor: Popovich served as general manager and coach for several seasons during Vinny Del Negro's playing days with the Spurs. Del Negro said his former coach has been very supportive during his rookie coaching campaign.

"He really respects the game and wants guys to play the right way," Del Negro said. "As a young coach, you want to emulate those things. He has a great foundation with Tim. But he has won a lot of games the right way, by guarding, putting guys in their strengths, making guys accountable, all the things I believe in. I learned a lot of those things in San Antonio."