PDA

View Full Version : George Hill is the worst finisher at the rim

Jayem
01-18-2009, 01:21 AM
this guy misses so many layups. he'll do a great move to get to the basket then totally blow the shot...this happens at least 3 times a game. i cringe every time he drives to the rim. come on how do you miss an easy dunk like that last night??? :lol

tony needs to teach hill how to finish at the hole!

Gino2882
01-18-2009, 01:40 AM
He has actually gotten better at finishing at the hoop. You should of saw him in Summer League.

But, he has really gotten better, and is playing well and doing what is asked of him.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-18-2009, 01:44 AM
He need to finish at the rim by trying to dunk as oppose to simply lay it in. He has the hops to at least go for the dunk and possibly get free throws.

Obstructed_View
01-18-2009, 02:08 AM
Another brilliant observation from gayem. :lmao

Brutalis
01-18-2009, 02:09 AM
Stupid ass shut yo mouf.

anakha
01-18-2009, 02:11 AM
Shouldn't you be more worried about your boy Farmar rather than Hill?

Austin_Toros
01-18-2009, 02:17 AM
well he's tony to teach him.
problem solved

angelbelow
01-18-2009, 03:10 AM
as long as he keeps working hard i have absolutely nothing bad to say about him.

Capt Bringdown
01-18-2009, 04:52 AM
I think Hill could probably start for a few NBA teams, and is one of the most interesting developments of this season so far.

01-18-2009, 05:00 AM
this is actually kind of true. i've noticed hill can't finish at the rim at a good clip, resulting in a pretty low FG%. but he is a rookie. i'm sure he'll improve as he gains more experience against NBA defenders. what matters now is that he has the physical tools to score well and the willingness to learn.

baseline bum
01-18-2009, 05:47 AM
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/4571/worsteverko6.png

Chieflion
01-18-2009, 06:09 AM
This guy obviously hasn't seen J.J Redick.

Bruno
01-18-2009, 06:35 AM
Hill is shooting 51% at the rim. He is also shooting FT's at a better reate than anyone in the team outside of Duncan. He can surely improve his finish around the rim but he still is quite good.
He is also shooting well 3 pointers (40%).
What he really needs to improve is his midrange game. Hill is shooting 22% for 2's from 16 feet and more. About a quarter of his shots comes from this area so it's quite important.

ulosturedge
01-18-2009, 08:15 AM
He's a rookie and he was the 26th pick in the first round. How good did you want him to be in his 1st year? Btw Tony parker wasn't any better in his rookie year neither and look how he turned out. I remember Tony parker missing all kinds of layups when he was young.

urunobili
01-18-2009, 08:37 AM
http://www.ratemyeverything.net/image/6134/0/Epic_Fail.ashx

m33p0
01-18-2009, 08:55 AM
you mean this george hill?
http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/ne/ap/20090109/04/231145455-san-antonio-spurs-guard-george-hill-3-scores-as-los.jpg

The III
01-18-2009, 09:36 AM
He was in traffic , not easy . Not like the dunks you make sitting on your ass playing video games.

EricB
01-18-2009, 10:07 AM
He was in traffic , not easy . Not like the dunks you make sitting on your ass playing video games.

Well said :lol

mrspurs
01-18-2009, 10:25 AM
this guy misses so many layups. he'll do a great move to get to the basket then totally blow the shot...this happens at least 3 times a game. i cringe every time he drives to the rim. come on how do you miss an easy dunk like that last night??? :lol

Thats not only Hill. Thats about everyone on the spurs roster. This team reminds me so much of a Nellie team. The only difference is we have Timmy, and we dont run down and chunk the ball up as soon as we're on the other side of the court. We wait till the shot clock has been eaten up for a bit. Then shoot the launch the ball. Its becoming very boring. They put me to sleep last night.

NFGIII
01-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Yeah he really sucks now - kinda like Manu did in his first year, too. Dude had a hard time finishing - I remember him blowing many a layup and look what he is today.

Give the guy some room and let him get a handle on the NBA. Most players take a year to get accustomed to this level of play. He's doing fine IMHO.

Anyway historically the second year in the league is when players start making major improvememnts.

:flag:

wildbill2u
01-18-2009, 11:01 AM
Hill is shooting 51% at the rim. He is also shooting FT's at a better reate than anyone in the team outside of Duncan. He can surely improve his finish around the rim but he still is quite good.
He is also shooting well 3 pointers (40%).
What he really needs to improve is his midrange game. Hill is shooting 22% for 2's from 16 feet and more. About a quarter of his shots comes from this area so it's quite important.

It's scary to think that Tim is our leading free throw shooter.

NFGIII
01-18-2009, 11:20 AM
It's scary to think that Tim is our leading free throw shooter.

Actually he should take more FT's than most of our players IMHO. His game is in the paint and contact there should get him to the line more often than jump shooters. Also he gets the ball more often then most players, too. Our slashers - TP, Manu and Hill - should come in next. Though Hill isn't as accomplished as the other two slashers he is showing that he can take it to the rim, which shold lead to more FTs.

1usamotorsports.com
01-18-2009, 11:31 AM
Very true . He needs to dunk alittle more often .

urunobili
01-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Very true . He needs to dunk alittle more often .

I think this thread was started because he missed a dunk yesterday...:wakeup

NFGIII
01-18-2009, 12:13 PM
I think this thread was started because he missed a dunk yesterday...:wakeup

:tu

Me too. But to call him the worst finisher at the rim due to that? I felt that to be a complete over reaction to the situation. Dude's a rookie and doing very well in his first year. I haven't compared his numbers with TP and Manu's first year but I would think thay would be similar - that is on a per minute basis. I believe we have a keeper and people are just too critical of him at this stage.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Being able to get to the rim and get to the stripe consistently is a innate talent. You can learn how to finish at the rim. Just have a scrub big stand under the rim and hold his hands up while he tries to finish. Put Ian out there probably help him to not foul so much too.

TDMVPDPOY
01-18-2009, 12:25 PM
how do you know if he cant finish at the rim?

did he give you a rim job?

DPG21920
01-18-2009, 01:03 PM
At least he goes to the rim with force, looking to finish. Not to mention he had the sickest reverse lay up this year on the Spurs.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-18-2009, 01:21 PM
http://www.ratemyeverything.net/image/6134/0/Epic_Fail.ashx

:lmao
classic thread

Tully365
01-18-2009, 03:21 PM
If the Spurs let it be known that Hill was available, they'd probably get calls from twenty teams within the first hour. If I have any concerns about Hill, it's that he's too good and will be a highly sought free agent in a few years who will demand more money than the Spurs will want to pay him to be a back-up combo guard.

ClingingMars
01-18-2009, 03:47 PM
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/4571/worsteverko6.png

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-18-2009, 06:34 PM

What a wonderful, committed fan you are. :rolleyes

Ironic that you should refer to Tony because in his rookie season he was a horrible finisher - he had no explosion, no left hand, and blew it at the rim constantly.

As for the dunk, it simply slipped out of his hand as he was going up - I watched the replay closely - which can happen to anyone.

Hill is a rookie. He's learning. Give him a break.

DPG21920
01-19-2009, 04:40 PM
pwnd. Hill with a STFU

z0sa
01-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Hill has NO problem finishing ..

timvp
01-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Stupid thread but speaking of Hill, I liked that lineup Pop used that had Parker, Hill and Ginobili at the same time. It's small but it puts three perimeter players on the court who can attack the basket and it also has potential to be a playmaking lineup on the defensive end.

Wouldn't mind seeing more of that trio on the court at the same time :tu

DPG21920
01-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Stupid thread but speaking of Hill, I liked that lineup Pop used that had Parker, Hill and Ginobili at the same time. It's small but it puts three perimeter players on the court who can attack the basket and it also has potential to be a playmaking lineup on the defensive end.

Wouldn't mind seeing more of that trio on the court at the same time :tu

It definitely was an interesting combo. I like the energy that they can bring on offense (especially when Hill does not always defer which he did not, and when Hill is hitting jumpers). They also can create some turnovers, I mean actually force them.

I was wondering when Pop would trot out that line up, especially because he is trotting out the Parker, Manu and Mason line up. It gives another multi-dimensional offensive line up that is pesky on defense and very good at rebounding for a group of guards (especially Manu and Hill).

YoMamaIsCallin
01-19-2009, 07:49 PM
You're going to make me post "whatever happened to the SpursTalk I used to know" again.

Why don't you just start a thread with the title "FJD789 fnmksl7uyr8eo jfksld" ??

It'd make just as much sense and be just as informative.

milkyway21
01-19-2009, 09:43 PM
you mean this george hill?
http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/ne/ap/20090109/04/231145455-san-antonio-spurs-guard-george-hill-3-scores-as-los.jpg:clap nice, m33pO

:rollin

DPG21920
01-19-2009, 10:35 PM
He can not have a triple double in a Spurs win. Ever. Waste of a pick.

GSH
01-19-2009, 11:23 PM
I can't believe this ridiculous fucking thread is still alive.

First of all, he's a rookie. How many rookie PG's can you think of in the last several years who could finish better than Hill? And were any of those drafted outside the top 10?

I'll tell you one thing he doesn't do. He doesn't go to the rim scared or looking for a whistle. He's absolutely fucking fearless, he's smart, and he's got skills. And he seems to work really hard at improving. I'm sure he'll get better at finishing against guys a foot taller than he is.

He may not be the best rookie out of this years' draft, but he was damned sure the biggest bargain.

DPG21920
01-19-2009, 11:26 PM
That I might actually agree with. His assists are fewer than his rebounds. Although he does score and rebound better than most guards, his assists will come.

I was trying to do the jinx you set forth. Hopefully you were being sarcastic and I am just not getting it.

angelbelow
01-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Notice how like every time we talk bad about George he proves us wrong? We once said he hit the Rookie wall 5 games in, and the next night he scored like 22 in 20 minutes? Today he was attacking and finishing at the rim(or drawing a foul). Some one point out a flaw and lets see what happens!

hmm if thats the case then i'll go ahead and say george hill is a waste of a draft pick because he cant produce when given lesser minutes. he needs minutes to have an impact on the game and thats all.