PDA

View Full Version : ESPN rumor: Spurs Interested in Nick Collison

spectator
01-18-2009, 02:06 AM
Is it reasonable to expect the Spurs to acquire another sleeper-turned-stalwart like Roger Mason -- Oklahoma City's Nick Collison is a Mason-like trade target highlighted by ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher in the latest issue -- before the Feb. 19 trading deadline?

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-090117-18

Ditty
01-18-2009, 02:18 AM
nice he just cant block but hes a big improvment over fab who will most likely be traded along with udoka and vaughn

Obstructed_View
01-18-2009, 02:29 AM
He doesn't have to get blocks, all he has to do is be in position and put his hands up.

exstatic
01-18-2009, 02:42 AM
Ghost won't like him. He white.

Cry Havoc
01-18-2009, 02:45 AM
I like Collison! He's a pretty smart player and has a good attitude. He would fit right in here.

I'm sad though. I love Udoka... what the hell happened to him. =\

baseline bum
01-18-2009, 02:51 AM
I'd love to have Collison, but I don't see much the Spurs could offer for him other than a 2010 first-rounder and matching salary. Certainly they'd never give up Hill for him, and spare parts like Udoka, Oberto, or Finley can't look all that appealing to OKC, unless they just want out of the remaining $19 million of his salary. In that case Oberto+Finley would work. Or maybe they'd be interested in Mahinmi or Splitter.

Kori Ellis
01-18-2009, 02:52 AM
Did you guys listen to the audio? Stein doesn't mention anything about Nick Collison. He just says that it's no secret that the Spurs are looking for one more player before the deadline.

The Collison part looks like just a teaser that ESPN.com added in because Bucher had mentioned it in the mag.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-18-2009, 02:53 AM
I'd love to have Collison, but I don't see much the Spurs could offer for him other than a 2010 first-rounder and matching salary. Certainly they'd never give up Hill for him, and spare parts like Udoka, Oberto, or Finley can't look all that appealing to OKC, unless they just want out of the remaining $19 million of his salary, in which case Oberto+Finley would work.

Exactly. The idea of Nick coming to the Spurs was just somethign Ric Bucher was dreaming up as there isn't even a scenario that OKC would look at.

If only we could get MEM-LAL type trade to go our way

DAF86
01-18-2009, 02:58 AM
I'd love to have Collison, but I don't see much the Spurs could offer for him other than a 2010 first-rounder and matching salary. Certainly they'd never give up Hill for him, and spare parts like Udoka, Oberto, or Finley can't look all that appealing to OKC, unless they just want out of the remaining $19 million of his salary. In that case Oberto+Finley would work. Or maybe they'd be interested in Mahinmi or Splitter.

Nick Collison's contract expires in 3 years. Udoka's and Vaughn's expire this year and Oberto's the next one. Maybe they want cap space for 2010. But I don't know what free agent would want to go to that team.

DAF86
01-18-2009, 03:00 AM
Exactly. The idea of Nick coming to the Spurs was just somethign Ric Bucher was dreaming up as there isn't even a scenario that OKC would look at.

If only we could get MEM-LAL type trade to go our way

Nick Collison's contract expires in 3 years. Udoka's and Vaughn's expire this year and Oberto's the next one. Maybe they want cap space for 2010. But I don't know what free agent would want to go to that team.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=2805~866~874~1978&teams=25~25~25~24&te=&cash=

objective
01-18-2009, 03:06 AM

Spurs can't offer a 2010 first, because they owe OKC the 2009 if the Spurs make the playoffs, and are prohibited from trading away firsts in consecutive years.

angelbelow
01-18-2009, 03:08 AM
wow that would be fantastic.....

angelbelow
01-18-2009, 03:09 AM
man i would seriously love that trade. hes like a poor mans david lee.

timvp
01-18-2009, 03:11 AM
Yeah, Collison would be a good addition. Defends well, rebounds well and plays smart.

But I don't see how the Spurs would get him. The only way is if Presti still has a man-crush on his pet project Ian Mahinmi. Mahinmi + second rounders + matching salary? Doubtful but that's the only way I see anything happening.

kenson-q
01-18-2009, 03:21 AM
I love it if it is ture.At least we change now.

timtonymanu
01-18-2009, 03:41 AM
damn i would love that to happen, but it seems impossible right now. I would give away Udoka, Vaughn, Finley, and Oberto for Collison, but that trade wont be appealing at all to OKC. Maybe Presti will give us a break. lol.

Admidave50
01-18-2009, 05:17 AM
Presti, it's payback time!

01-18-2009, 05:27 AM
as someone who drafted collison on my fantasy team, i got to say he's a big disappointment this year. i expected him to score in the double digits and maybe even grab rebounds in the double digits. his percentages are good but he's just kind of stuck in mediocre land. i thought without kurt thomas and an injured wilcox, collison would finally shine. right now he's just kind of like oberto but with a jump shot. thunder will definitely want a young prospect in any trade. mahinmi + matching contracts most likely. i don't think it's worth it because mahinmi has a potential far greater than collison. i think collison has already peaked. if this can be done with just oberto + vaughn + udoka then do it by all means.

Bruno
01-18-2009, 06:39 AM
Collison was quite struggling at the start of the season. he was maybe available at that moment. He is now playing well so I doubt Spurs can have him on the cheap.
And I'm not even sure Spurs are interested in him because his contract goes beyond 2010.

Chieflion
01-18-2009, 06:41 AM
Can I have Kristic?

mrspurs
01-18-2009, 10:30 AM
He cant be any worse the Fab. He cant be any worse the Matt. We need someone who doesnt want to sit out there and wait for his shot. We need someone who isnt afraid to knock someone down when they're flying to the hoop. Any big but Horry. Matt is filling Horrys shoes easily. I like the guy, but if we're not playing Chicago in the POs. Matt will be on the bench.

urunobili
01-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Collison is a good addition for 6 mill a year even beyond 2010 because we are not sure Thiago will ever suit up for us... Presti may ask for his rights in such trade...

NFGIII
01-18-2009, 11:13 AM
I would like to see him here, too. As Timvp stated - smart, rebounds and plays D, something that this team could use more of coming off the bench. Giving up Ian plus either 2nd rounders and/or existing players might intice them but this will be a hard one to pull off. I'm kinda in between concerning Ian - he seems to have far greater upside than Nick but is always injured. He also is hot and cold in the D league, telling me he isn't there right now for any type of consistent play in the NBA. Timmy's window is closing so maybe grabbing an experienced player and giving up Ian would be an option.

jlpittsley
01-18-2009, 11:44 AM
I don't think the Spurs need a Collison-type player. He's not long enough. I really think the Spurs need a longer and more athletic player. I'm even willing to lose some offense to get that type of player. A couple years ago I would have loved for Dallas to give up Diop but teams have over-payed for him the Spurs kept wisely out of that bidding war. Spurs struggle against teams that can throw two athletic bigs at them.

1. Tyson Chandler hurts the Spurs alot. When CP3 gets into the lane he really has 3 options. 1. Shoot, 2. Kick out to Peja. 3. Throw up to Tyson. Certain teams can eliminate that third option. But with the spurs struggling to Guard David West, Duncan zones those situations and Chandler gets the dunk.

2. Gasol and Bynum: Duncan guards Gasol and Bynum gets the follow up.

I never thought I would say this, but the Spurs are small! Duncan can only do some much in the lane and Bonner, Thomas, and Oberto are not able to reach the verticle plane that many bigs in the NBA can reach.

DANILO DRASKOVIC
01-18-2009, 12:01 PM
I heard someone else say this a week or 2 ago
I think it was Tim Legler

lotr1trekkie
01-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Collison plays with a chip on his shoudler. We need someone who knows how to hipcheck or give a hard foul. I'd go get if the price were right. Mahimni is a lost cause this season and therefore probably next. We can't wait beyond this season for Splitter either. Either one plus the aforementioned spare parts for Collison.

Shastafarian
01-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Yeah, Collison would be a good addition. Defends well, rebounds well and plays smart.

But I don't see how the Spurs would get him. The only way is if Presti still has a man-crush on his pet project Ian Mahinmi. Mahinmi + second rounders + matching salary? Doubtful but that's the only way I see anything happening.

ya don't say... http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2980104&postcount=3

But I was off on that trade. OKC would like two expiring contracts but instead of Oberto they'd probably ask for Splitter or Mahinmi.

timvp
01-18-2009, 12:40 PM
ya don't sayWhy'd you quote my post and link to a trade that would never happen?

Shastafarian
01-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Why'd you quote my post and link to a trade that would never happen?

Well you had previously said guys like me had no knowledge. While the trade itself would not work with Oberto, I think OKC would take on expiring contracts and a young player. If they were confident they could somehow get Splitter over then I think they'd take him. If Presti still wants Mahinmi, like you said, then that would be an option. I just like how I proposed Collison a month ago. That's all.

EricB
01-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Well you had previously said guys like me had no knowledge. While the trade itself would not work with Oberto, I think OKC would take on expiring contracts and a young player. If they were confident they could somehow get Splitter over then I think they'd take him. If Presti still wants Mahinmi, like you said, then that would be an option. I just like how I proposed Collison a month ago. That's all.

So you want credit for proposing a trade that will never happen?

Shastafarian
01-18-2009, 01:05 PM
So you want credit for proposing a trade that will never happen?

Yep, exactly. Thanks for chiming in.

timvp
01-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Well you had previously said guys like me had no knowledge.Link?

I just like how I proposed Collison a month ago. That's all.Collison has been a SpursTalk favorite target for about four years now . . .

Shastafarian
01-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Link?http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3029202&postcount=63

Were you not including me in this famed blame parker bandwagon?

Collison has been a SpursTalk favorite target for about four years now . . .

Link?

Dex
01-18-2009, 01:29 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3029202&postcount=63

Were you not including me in this famed blame parker bandwagon?

Link?

Not that timvp ever needs any help handing someone's ass back to them, but...

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45778&highlight=free+agent+nick+collison

Shastafarian
01-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Not that timvp ever needs any help handing someone's ass back to them, but...

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45778&highlight=free+agent+nick+collison

One thread about trading a Euro-player who had no NBA experience for collison with 14 replies? Man my ass sure hurts from it being handed to me so hard!

The Truth #6
01-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Yeah, we're not getting Collison for trash. At the same time, he seems like an overpaid role player. He would help us, but not with that salary.

Begin Gist rambling...

With our need for another big, I realize the advantage of trying out 10-dayers. Who knows, maybe Croshere will work out? If he can't rebound then he seems redundant.

But I wonder about the prospects of bringing Gist over this year. I'm not sure if that's even possible due to his contract. I'll defer to the Gist scholars on that one. But the reason I go back to Gist is that, at least in my opinion, he was passed over this year because of the perceived need for a long-range shooting PF (someone had to fit into Horry's cinderella sneaker.)

Tolliver was insurance in case Bonner continued to stink. Now that Bonner doesn't stink, and in fact is playing almost as well as we can expect for someone of his abilities, and that Tolliver has been cut because his role was already being filled by Bonner, I wonder if we knew then what we know now, would we not have kept Gist in the Summer? In other words, if Bonner wasn't a potential liability would we have kept Gist?

Of course that's hindsight now, but if we liked Gist then is there any reason not to bring him over this season if it's possible? I mean, if we're going to try out wash-ups like Croshere or DL players, then why not Gist, especially if he's already a part of our plans?

He'd be coming in as cold as any other new player who doesn't know the system, except that he would have some prior experience.

Our front line is still very weak outside of Tim. I suppose I don't see the point in waiting around until next year if we could use Gist now. For those who say he still needs seasoning, well, so do scrubs in the DL.

He has the tools to be a taller version of Hill on defense. Our defense needs help.

...end Gist Rambling.

Shastafarian
01-18-2009, 01:39 PM
Yeah, we're not getting Collison for trash.What's trash though? Would OKC rather have two expiring contracts? It would take some kind of finagling if you don't include someone who has a larger salary (like Oberto).

At the same time, he seems like an overpaid role player. He would help us, but not with that salary.

Begin Gist rambling...

With our need for another big, I realize the advantage of trying out 10-dayers. Who knows, maybe Croshere will work out? If he can't rebound then he seems redundant.

But I wonder about the prospects of bringing Gist over this year. I'm not sure if that's even possible due to his contract. I'll defer to the Gist scholars on that one. But the reason I go back to Gist is that, at least in my opinion, he was passed over this year because of the perceived need for a long-range shooting PF (someone had to fit into Horry's cinderella sneaker.) I'm not a Gist scholar but I would assume he has some kind of contract with his European team.

yavozerb
01-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Gist is getting 27+ minutes with his european team this year. The kid needs to stay and get playing time instead of either sitting on the bench or playing against lesser competition in austin. Also, who is to say that when Gist comes to NBA he will sign with the spurs. I do not believe they own his rights.

Shastafarian
01-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Gist is getting 27+ minutes with his european team this year. The kid needs to stay and get playing time instead of either sitting on the bench or playing against lesser competition in austin. Also, who is to say that when Gist comes to NBA he will sign with the spurs. I do not believe they own his rights.

You're wrong. They drafted him. They own his rights.

EricB
01-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Gist was drafted by the spurs so they own his rights.

yavozerb
01-18-2009, 02:17 PM
You're wrong. They drafted him. They own his rights.

Thanks. I wasn't sure since they cut him that they own his rights if comes back.

Shastafarian
01-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Thanks. I wasn't sure since they cut him that they own his rights if comes back.

Here ya go.

"An Italian Web site reported Friday that James Gist, the Spurs’ second-rounder from Maryland, had agreed to a deal with a team in Italy. A Spurs source said Gist has not yet signed with any team overseas, leaving open the possibility he still could begin next season in San Antonio.

If Gist were to sign with a foreign team, the Spurs would retain his NBA rights."

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=1546&line=99597&spln=1

DMX7
01-18-2009, 02:28 PM
What do we have to trade for him? IAN?

Dex
01-18-2009, 02:32 PM
One thread about trading a Euro-player who had no NBA experience for collison with 14 replies? Man my ass sure hurts from it being handed to me so hard!

You asked for a link and I gave you one.

If you wanted more, you should've asked for links.

English, kids.

Shastafarian
01-18-2009, 02:35 PM
You asked for a link and I gave you one.

If you wanted more, you should've asked for links.

English, kids.

That link fails to prove, "Collison has been a SpursTalk favorite target for about four years now . . . "

MannyIsGod
01-18-2009, 02:42 PM
You're excellent at losing arguments and not acknowledging it. I'll give you props for that.

Shastafarian
01-18-2009, 02:48 PM
You're excellent at losing arguments and not acknowledging it. I'll give you props for that.

What argument did I lose?

I guess I'm also good at attracting 28 year old UTSA students. When was the last time you posted in the Spurs forum?

Tully365
01-18-2009, 02:55 PM
I think Collison would be a good role player, and since Oklahoma is a team with three good young players and a future but no hope of contending this year, it's seems plausible that they would trade him to sweep away more cap room and clear space for 2010. Collison's the kind of guy that won't do much for a young & still mediocre team like Oklahoma, but could be very helpful to a contender. I feel the same way about Jared Jeffries, too, who seems to me to be one of the better & most versatile defenders in the league right now.

Let the insults start flying... why do so many threads on spurstalk feel like gang wars where people chose sides and go for the throat of all who offer different opinions, rather than a place where basketball fans can talk about the game they supposedly love. Oh well.

Dex
01-18-2009, 03:18 PM
That link fails to prove, "Collison has been a SpursTalk favorite target for about four years now . . . "

A post from 2006 with a horde of SpursTalk posters, timvp included, all over Nick Collison's nuts?

I'll cut you the missing year, but still..Do you need me to draw you a diagram here?

tav1
01-18-2009, 03:19 PM

The Spurs do own his rights.

ChumpDumper
01-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Thanks. I wasn't sure since they cut him that they own his rights if comes back.Since he was never signed by the Spurs outside of summer league, he was never cut.

de Soto
01-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Hmmm...I guess finally somebody who at least could work. But I doubt that it is gonna happen. Good looking prospect though and not some psycho dickhead like Rasheed Wallace...:rolleyes

tav1
01-18-2009, 03:28 PM
This discussion has rounded the bases, and I'm not sure if this is much of a rumor. Kori Ellis' point that Stein does not actually mention Collision is salient. Stein does confirm that the Jazz are shopping Fesenko. He has a team option after the season, and is cheap. He wouldn't help this season, but for a second round or two is better than anything the Spurs will pick up late. It might be worth trading for his training camp rights if nothing of immediate help pans out.

temujin
01-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Gist is not improving much as of lately.
He is raw material, 2 years from NBA level, minimum.

01-18-2009, 05:33 PM
gist isn't exactly raw. he already has the athleticism to rebound and defend in the NBA. he most likely would have turned out to be a pure hustle player if he signed with the spurs this year. he would rebound, defend, clean up around the rim, and play the pick and roll. i think the spurs see more potential in him so they sent him away to work on his mid range and perimeter skills. he has already proved he can play around the basket so if he develops some perimeter skills he will become a well rounded player.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Ghost won't like him. He white.

Ah, the irony. ;)

He'd be a perfect fit, but with a $6mil salary that goes to 2011, highly unlikely.

yavozerb
01-18-2009, 08:40 PM
If all it took was Fab and JV (possible 2nd rd pick), would you guys still balk at this trade? This trade sounds one sided but both Fab and JV's contracts will be up by end of next year (with JV's up by end of this year). I for one am a fan of Collison, he is a smart player who can rebound which is exactly what we need. I for one do not see the spurs even making trade on this years team.

Shastafarian
01-18-2009, 09:19 PM
If all it took was Fab and JV (possible 2nd rd pick), would you guys still balk at this trade? This trade sounds one sided but both Fab and JV's contracts will be up by end of next year (with JV's up by end of this year). I for one am a fan of Collison, he is a smart player who can rebound which is exactly what we need. I for one do not see the spurs even making trade on this years team.

Unless OKC really just wants to clear cap by 2010 they're not gonna want Oberto.

yavozerb
01-18-2009, 09:25 PM
Unless OKC really just wants to clear cap by 2010 they're not gonna want Oberto.

True. But 3.5 mil looks much better than 6.5 against the cap.

pawe
01-18-2009, 09:35 PM
I say stick with the current team. We already had a rookie pg and a free agent trying to learn the system and they wouldnt want another one to come in when the season is already halfway. KT (and Bonner) is serviceable and when his elbow jumpers are dropping then he'll be great to draw out the bigs. Fabs is a high IQ player who feeds off TD and plays well with Manu. That's all we need.

Duncan2177
01-18-2009, 09:38 PM
I say stick with the current team. We already had a rookie pg and a free agent trying to learn the system and they wouldnt want another one to come in when the season is already halfway. KT (and Bonner) is serviceable and when his elbow jumpers are dropping then he'll be great to draw out the bigs. Fabs is a high IQ player who feeds off TD and plays well with Manu. That's all we need.

Are you kidding?

pawe
01-18-2009, 10:40 PM
No, Im not kidding. Sometimes the team's chemistry is more important than anything else. The Spurs' defense is all about funneling to the big man, he should be able to have a firm understanding of that system plus the season almost halfway thru.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-18-2009, 10:45 PM
No, Im not kidding. Sometimes the team's chemistry is more important than anything else. The Spurs' defense is all about funneling to the big man, he should be able to have a firm understanding of that system plus the season almost halfway thru.

The Spurs are all about funneling it to a big man, but a big man who can block shots. If you have two of them, even better. Right now our only shot blocker is Tim Duncan. When he goes out this team is screwed.

superbigtime
01-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Can I have Kristic?

No shit! How did OKC just grab him out of nowhere?? Of the OKC bigs, he would be the best to get, followed by Wilcox, then Collison, then Swift.

tav1
01-18-2009, 11:23 PM

Oberto's contract is only partial for next season.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Chris Wilcox would be a dream come true:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LANcTB21mVA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LANcTB21mVA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

xtremesteven33
01-18-2009, 11:52 PM
As much as i would like to have Wilcox i dont see it happening. I dont think the Spurs have enough to give up for him.

Unless they want to give up Mahimni. i suppose

xtremesteven33
01-19-2009, 12:00 AM
Splitter's rights? Presti probaby was the one who found Tiago and liked him in the first place, and since it is unlikely we will see him in the Duncan Era it might be a decent trade.

Maybe its impatience in my part but i say if you have an opportunity to recieve a good solid player in exchange of a young protege or 2, i would do it in a second.

IF i were Pop i would give up Mahimni and Splitter for Wilcox. If you have the chance of getting a young tough Big and not trading any of your teams core players (including Bowen,Mason,Hill,Finley) I would make the trade.

Kori Ellis
01-19-2009, 12:05 AM
From my sources I've heard that the Spurs are interested in Collison or Wilcox. In fact the Spurs have been trying to get Wilcox for a few years but never wanted to take on the salary. Now that he is an expiring contract, along with the fact he probably own't re-sign with OKC this up coming offseason he is the Spurs main target, and the Thunder probably want to get something for him if possible.

Interesting. I know they have liked Collison - many think he'd work really well next to Duncan. But Wilcox is like the anti-Pop player... lazy on D, athletic :lol, and rumored not to be the best practice player. As I said in the other thread about him, even with all his defensive laziness, he's still worth a look because he can run the floor, rebound and score.

SequSpur
01-19-2009, 12:20 AM
I would take Rasho back right now, the spurs interior defense is obsolete.

GSH
01-19-2009, 01:32 AM
He's also one of the league leaders in personal fouls, averaging something like 6.3 per 48 minutes. That's always been a bit of a problem for him.

On the other hand, George Hill is averaging around 6.0 fouls per 48. And maybe he would benefit from the fact that the refs always favor Spur players when it comes to whistles. (Ask any Laker or Suns fan.)

Chieflion
01-19-2009, 04:56 AM
Call me crazy, but if we are really desperate,

Spurs give out Fabricio Oberto and Tony Parker.
OKC sends out Jeff Green, Russell Westbrook and Nick Collison.

Parker fans may not like this, but this makes lots of sense. We could also include Splitter's right if needed.

mountainballer
01-19-2009, 04:57 AM
Well I can't see Pop scrapping the Ian project until at least next year. Splitter I can because chances are Tiago won't come to the NBA because of the fact he will make 3 million overseas but he won't even make 1 million playing for us. Anyhow so long as we include maybe a couple second round picks making the trade of Vaughn, Ime and Fab for Wilcox works out numbers wise.

I always thought we currently can't offer a 1st rounder in such a process, but learned that it would be possible. it would then just be a future 1st rounder, which will then very likely be delivered 2011.
so whatever package they assemble, it could be sweetened with the Warriors 2nd rounder 2009 (currently #35) and a 1st rounder. that's not breath taking, but it's also not all crap.
what I don't like is that the contract of Wilcox is expiring. yes, this is usually seen as an attractive element, but it very likely will mean that he's gone 2009. he will get a MLE offer for at least 3 years and I don't see the Spurs give him such an offer, if it's true that they would hesitate to take Collison and his contract. Wilcox also won't re sign for just 1 year.
so, in the worst case, Spurs trade for Wilcox, sacrifice some picks, he doesn't fit with the Spurs, like so many athletic-but-not-smart players before him and he's gone 2009.

Obstructed_View
01-19-2009, 05:09 AM

If it hadn't been for his contract, I'd just as soon the Spurs never let him go.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-19-2009, 05:40 AM
I'm skeptical about Wilcox. Guy is not basketball-smart, he's lazy, and he's no shot-blocker. He used to be athletic, but if you've seen him this season he looks slow and overweight.

I'd rather Collison who, whilst unspectacular, is a solid lunchpail-type worker. He goes to the boards, plays tough post D, and has a solid midrange jumper, but he's also not really a shot blocker... he's basically a younger, quicker version of KT.

Come to think of it, neither of these guys truly fills our need, although either could potentially blossom or crash in the Spurs' system. End of the day, we're talking about help this year, so I take the smarter guy (more apt to learn our system quickly), and that is Collison.

stéphane
01-19-2009, 05:49 AM

Parker fans may not like this, but this makes lots of sense. We could also include Splitter's right if needed.

Wow, trading an all star and our starting C for promising guys that could not blossom. High risk, low reward in this case.

mountainballer
01-19-2009, 05:51 AM

I don't need to be a Parker fan to ask why this makes a lot of sense. it will take 3 or 4 more years till Westbrook can play at the level of Tony, if he ever will. then Tim will be history.
why dump the last 2 or 3 shots for another championship?
Westbrook and Greene will be nice players, but none will be a franchise type player. Spurs would close the window right now and become a Grizzlies type franchise after 2012. that's a lose lose situation. can't see any sense in that.

mathbzh
01-19-2009, 05:54 AM
Agree, this would be a bad trade. We have to be good now, while Duncan is still one of the best player in the league, not in 4 years.
If we had to trade one piece of the big 3 (I hope it will not happen) I think we could find much better than that.

Chieflion
01-19-2009, 06:01 AM
The Thunder have been winning games because of Green and Westbrook. I did mention that if we were really desperate.

However, I still prefer the Parker and Mahinmi for Oden, Bayless and Outlaw.

mathbzh
01-19-2009, 06:12 AM
I don't deny they have talent. But do you really think they could help us during playoff series?
What do you call "really desperate"? Because we have a good record, we won against the Lakers, gave a fight to the Magics...

Chieflion
01-19-2009, 06:14 AM
I don't deny they have talent. But do you really think they could help us during playoff series?
What do you call "really desperate"? Because we have a good record, we won against the Lakers, gave a fight to the Magics...

Extremely shitty defense. If they still cannot turn it up like everyone say they will, the Spurs cannot win in the playoffs and might just want to rebuild along the way.

mountainballer
01-19-2009, 06:17 AM
The Thunder have been winning games because of Green and Westbrook. I did mention that if we were really desperate.

if we were that desperate, it also might make some sense to trade Parker for another all star player, who is also just entering his prime and who could also help immediately.

timvp
01-19-2009, 06:21 AM
The Spurs should just go ahead and trade Parker for Gortat . . .

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-19-2009, 06:41 AM
I don't understand what's the fascination with trading Parker and Manu... I don't see many fans of NO trying to trade West or Paul, nor Portland fans wanting Oden or Roy out. Do we not realize what we have? You just don't break a proven championship core even if the trade sounds somewhat appealing, let alone all those flying around that are not even equal in value.

DAF86
01-19-2009, 07:04 AM

No let's better just stay with what we have pretend like we aren't going to get our asses handed to us in the playoffs and wait 'till Hill becomes a free agent and decides to sign with a team that could get him more than 15 minutes a game. Yeah let's go spurs. :flag:

Chieflion
01-19-2009, 07:31 AM
I don't understand what's the fascination with trading Parker and Manu... I don't see many fans of NO trying to trade West or Paul, nor Portland fans wanting Oden or Roy out. Do we not realize what we have? You just don't break a proven championship core even if the trade sounds somewhat appealing, let alone all those flying around that are not even equal in value.

If the Spurs are to be able to trade for valuable players, we have to give up players of value.

Ice009
01-19-2009, 08:23 AM
If it hadn't been for his contract, I'd just as soon the Spurs never let him go.

Yep. If Rasho was making Bonner money I wouldn't have minded keeping him.

EricB
01-19-2009, 09:11 AM
spurs fans don't deserve tony parker....

wildchild
01-19-2009, 09:47 AM

Thanks a lot for the new general manager.
Tony for Westbrook and Greene? Tony for Bayless and Outlaw?. What's your fucking problem with Tony? Do you understand what I mean? See the stats and then talk.
We don't trade Tony. No fucking way!

pawe
01-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Lol at the poster wanting to trade TP for a bunch of scrubs. TP might probably be the franchise player for the Spurs a couple of years from now.

rascal
01-19-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm skeptical about Wilcox. Guy is not basketball-smart, he's lazy, and he's no shot-blocker. He used to be athletic, but if you've seen him this season he looks slow and overweight.

I'd rather Collison who, whilst unspectacular, is a solid lunchpail-type worker. He goes to the boards, plays tough post D, and has a solid midrange jumper, but he's also not really a shot blocker... he's basically a younger, quicker version of KT.

Come to think of it, neither of these guys truly fills our need, although either could potentially blossom or crash in the Spurs' system. End of the day, we're talking about help this year, so I take the smarter guy (more apt to learn our system quickly), and that is Collison.

Why do you say Wilcox is lazy and not smart?

rascal
01-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Interesting. I know they have liked Collison - many think he'd work really well next to Duncan. But Wilcox is like the anti-Pop player... lazy on D, athletic :lol, and rumored not to be the best practice player. As I said in the other thread about him, even with all his defensive laziness, he's still worth a look because he can run the floor, rebound and score.

Wilcox is a big finisher and the spurs need a big with some athleticism.
The lazy tag may not be justified. Put him on the spurs and I'm sure he would work harder on the defensive end because he knows thats a big requirement to Pop.

Pauleta14
01-19-2009, 12:31 PM
spurs fans don't deserve tony parker....

+1

rascal
01-19-2009, 12:33 PM

No, I don't want the Spurs revisting past failures.

dbestpro
01-19-2009, 12:40 PM
My only interest in regards to another big is a shot blocker. Thomas's game has come around and he and Bonner can provide everything we need of the post position except shot blocking. When teams are attacking the basket we need another big who can send the ball the other way or at least alter the shot. The ability to score is not an issue as we have plenty of scoring options. Collison does not fit the need.

mountainballer
01-19-2009, 12:53 PM
My only interest in regards to another big is a shot blocker. Thomas's game has come around and he and Bonner can provide everything we need of the post position except shot blocking. When teams are attacking the basket we need another big who can send the ball the other way or at least alter the shot. The ability to score is not an issue as we have plenty of scoring options. Collison does not fit the need.

My only interest in regards to another big is a better player. no matter in what department this guy is an upgrade, I take him. to claim KT and Bonner provide everything except shot blocking is pure nonsense.
(sure, it would be very nice to get Camby, but whenever the Clippers put him on the market, they will get 5 better offers than whatever we can give them.)

if they get Collison, they upgrade interior defense, low block scoring and rebounding, especially offensive rebounding. it wouldn't be a huge step, but it would be a significant upgrade.

dbestpro
01-19-2009, 12:59 PM
My only interest in regards to another big is a better player. no matter in what department this guy is an upgrade, I take him. to claim KT and Bonner provide everything except shot blocking is pure nonsense.
(sure, it would be very nice to get Camby, but whenever the Clippers put him on the market, they will get 5 better offers than whatever we can give them.)

if they get Collison, they upgrade interior defense, low block scoring and rebounding, especially offensive rebounding. it wouldn't be a huge step, but it would be a significant upgrade.

No where did I mention Camby. In Thomas you will get what Collison can give now that Thomas is healthy. I just want another person capable of blocking a shot other than Tim. Collison does not fit what we are lacking. Camby is not the only big that knows how to block a shot.

thOOdee
01-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Nick collison would be a huge step up from the other 6'10 players on the team but still. come on! I rather hold out like others had mentioned for a 7 footer that can block shots and just get in the way. Regardless of his offensive game. How many 6'10 white guys do we need. COME ON!:jack this better be just a rumor

baseline bum
01-19-2009, 03:12 PM

Good post. With Tim's prime drawing to an end, the Spurs can't afford to screw around with projects if they can get someone to contribute now instead.

Duncan2177
01-19-2009, 03:27 PM
Yea lets trade Parker who helped us win 3 championships and was finals mvp in 07. Some spurs fans=Crack monkeys

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-19-2009, 03:33 PM

Exactly. WTF, people?

No let's better just stay with what we have pretend like we aren't going to get our asses handed to us in the playoffs and wait 'till Hill becomes a free agent and decides to sign with a team that could get him more than 15 minutes a game. Yeah let's go spurs. :flag:

Stop with the drama queen act. Hill will be a FA in 2012 - until then we have him on a very cheap rookie contract. And stop ignoring the obvious - Hill will take a bunch of Finley's minutes next year.

Who's pretending we can beat the Lakers in 7 games? We all know we need another big, we just don't think Hill for Marcin fucking Gortat is the answer. Nor is trading Tony Parker for a bunch of maybe.

Stop panicking in January like someone who doesn't know the Spurs - you've been here long enough to know better.

DAF86
01-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Stop with the drama queen act. Hill will be a FA in 2012 - until then we have him on a very cheap rookie contract. And stop ignoring the obvious - Hill will take a bunch of Finley's minutes next year.

Obvious to who? to me it is obvious that Finley shouldn't be playing 35 minutes per game right now but Pop doesn't think so, so you never know. You should be the one stop ignoring the obvious: Gortat not only will be a great adition to this team for years to come but also for this season, thing that we can't say of Hill.

Who's pretending we can beat the Lakers in 7 games? We all know we need another big, we just don't think Hill for Marcin fucking Gortat is the answer. Nor is trading Tony Parker for a bunch of maybe.

So tell me what is the answer? We won't get a damn thing for Vaughn, Udoka or Oberto. And trading one of the big three definitely isn't the answer.

Stop panicking in January like someone who doesn't know the Spurs - you've been here long enough to know better

I've never been the kind of fan that panicks after a regular season loss, but I always try to say what I trully think. And right now I think we have no chance of getting past the Lakers in the PO, but I also think that we're one decent big man away of having a fair chance of doing so. That's why I proposed that trade.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Obvious to who? to me it is obvious that Finley shouldn't be playing 35 minutes per game right now but Pop doesn't think so, so you never know. You should be the one stop ignoring the obvious: Gortat not only will be a great adition to this team for years to come but also for this season, thing that we can't say of Hill. (1)

So tell me what is the answer? We won't get a damn thing for Vaughn, Udoka or Oberto. And trading one of the big three definitely isn't the answer. (2)

I've never been the kind of fan that panicks after a regular season loss, but I always try to say what I trully think. And right now I think we have no chance of getting past the Lakers in the PO, but I also think that we're one decent big man away of having a fair chance of doing so. That's why I proposed that trade. (3)

(1) Finley's playing 28mins not 35, still too much, but you can bet Hill's minutes will increase next year - it is a natural progression we've seen with most players new to the Spurs' system. Next year Finley will be the 5th swing or retired, count on it. Hill hasn't been a great addition to the team? Which team are you watching?

As for Gortat, he's a solid player, but he's no Bynum-stopper, and if you are talking Lakers, that's what you're describing. And you still haven't convinced me why Orlando would give up their first big off the bench who they like and is earning 700k.

(2) I don't have the answer, except to say that I think Pop is playing CIA games with Mahinmi and that he will just appear fit and healthy one day soon and start playing. If not him, a salary dump trade at the deadline for someone.

(3) Just about every year things look bleak some time between Christmas and the start of March. And for each of the last 6 years the Spurs have gone deep in the playoffs despite the apparent mid-season gloom. trust in the FO and the team is all I can say - they have proven that they know what they're doing. ;)

rascal
01-20-2009, 09:46 AM
(1)
(3) Just about every year things look bleak some time between Christmas and the start of March. And for each of the last 6 years the Spurs have gone deep in the playoffs despite the apparent mid-season gloom. trust in the FO and the team is all I can say - they have proven that they know what they're doing. ;)

Yea, they really knew what they were doing last year when they did not have enough off the bench to make up for Manu being nicked up in the playoffs.

mogrovejo
01-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Defensively, Collison is no better than Oberto, let alone Kurt Thomas. Too slow-footed, not a strong post defender, lacks awareness.

SenorSpur
01-20-2009, 10:09 AM

Exactly. There's no need to suggest any sort of roster overhaul, much less the thought of jettisoning one of our big three. Besides, you don't simply change out 3-4 players on your roster and expect "instant soup".

The Spurs simply need to seek to add a complmentary, reserve big, who can defend, rebound, and is a threat to score down low. I know that's a tall order because practically every team in the NBA needs such a player and the Spurs have litttle to no trade assets. A tall order, but not an impossible one. Collison isn't the ideal fit, but if he is the best they can get come the trade deadline, I'll take him. It's the frontline where there is the biggest deficiency right now. In order for the Spurs to improve their chances of advancing in the West, Tim desparately needs help.

mountainballer
01-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Defensively, Collison is no better than Oberto, let alone Kurt Thomas. Too slow-footed, not a strong post defender, lacks awareness.

huh? slow footed? KT is as mobile as a hippo with cement shoes. Collison will look like a roadrunner on speed compared to him.
yes, Collison is a similar player to Fab, there is a reason why many think he will fit well.
but at this point he is a huge upgrade over Fab. younger, stronger, can leap a bit, better 15 footer. nice upgrade on defense and significant upgrade on offense.
any trade package for Collison will likely include Fab and his cap friendly contract anyhow, so it would be replacing Fab with a similar but younger and better player. that's a nice improvement in my books.

1usamotorsports.com
01-20-2009, 10:43 AM
About Collison- So when and if its official when will we know?

mogrovejo
01-20-2009, 10:44 AM
huh? slow footed? KT is as mobile as a hippo with cement shoes. Collison will look like a roadrunner on speed compared to him.
yes, Collison is a similar player to Fab, there is a reason why many think he will fit well.
but at this point he is a huge upgrade over Fab. younger, stronger, can leap a bit, better 15 footer. nice upgrade on defense and significant upgrade on offense.
any trade package for Collison will likely include Fab and his cap friendly contract anyhow, so it would be replacing Fab with a similar but younger and better player. that's a nice improvement in my books.

Yeah, he's certainly more mobile than Thomas, but that doesn't make him a better defender. KT's footwork, smartness and physicality are vastly superior. He doesn't have Oberto's size and smarts, either. What he brings over Oberto on the offensive end may very well be worth the added cost, depending on what else you offer, but I was just analyzing the defence.

mountainballer
01-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Yeah, he's certainly more mobile than Thomas, but that doesn't make him a better defender. KT's footwork, smartness and physicality are vastly superior. He doesn't have Oberto's size and smarts, either. What he brings over Oberto on the offensive end may very well be worth the added cost, depending on what else you offer, but I was just analyzing the defence.

you ignore my point. he wouldn't replace KT but likely defend more mobile bigs who KT no longer can guard. Collison will look better against Gasol than KT would. also against West.
about size and smarts. he does have exactly the same size like Fab and is stronger. Collison measured 6'9'' without and 6'10'' in shoes. unlike many white bigs he also displays an above average wingspan at 7'1 1/2'' and a very good standing reach of 9'. combined with a better leaping ability than Fab (who can't leap at all, as we know) he plays significantly bigger than Fab.
(there is a reason why he averages 3 more rebounds per 40 minutes than Fab)
smarts? Collison is pretty smart. look out that this would become even more obvious if he got the chance to play for the Spurs.

koriwhat
01-20-2009, 11:10 AM
No, I don't want the Spurs revisting past failures.

championships? if it wasn't for his contract is all i'm saying...

temujin
01-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Collison -the mere existence of whom I totally and proudly ignored untill I quickly read the first page of this thread- would be #10, 11 or 12 on the rotation.

Could anyone PLEASE remind me the last time when a #10, 11, 12 of any team rotation has contributed to a Conference or NBA final?
Other than for a couple of jokes while in the shower?

temujin
01-20-2009, 01:14 PM
you ignore my point. he wouldn't replace KT but likely defend more mobile bigs who KT no longer can guard. Collison will look better against Gasol than KT would. also against West.
about size and smarts. he does have exactly the same size like Fab and is stronger. Collison measured 6'9'' without and 6'10'' in shoes. unlike many white bigs he also displays an above average wingspan at 7'1 1/2'' and a very good standing reach of 9'. combined with a better leaping ability than Fab (who can't leap at all, as we know) he plays significantly bigger than Fab.
(there is a reason why he averages 3 more rebounds per 40 minutes than Fab)
smarts? Collison is pretty smart. look out that this would become even more obvious if he got the chance to play for the Spurs.

I wonder why the Lakers haven't done that Collison for Gasol and a couple of first rounders.
I guess it's just a matter of time.

HarlemHeat37
01-20-2009, 01:21 PM
I highly doubt we acquire anybody of this talent..

we're most likely going to ride with Oberto and Mahinmi, and honestly, I have no problem with that..the fact that they haven't made any noise tells me that they're happy with what Ian is currently showing, and they believe he can contribute this year..

I'm in the minority here, but I believe we can definitely win a title this year with the current 15-man roster we have..I don't think we need to add anybody, I think we need to just improve as a team defensively and in terms of effort..

regarding Collison..I don't really see how he improves our team significantly..it's not worth putting up with his contract..

mexicanjunior
01-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Collison -the mere existence of whom I totally and proudly ignored untill I quickly read the first page of this thread- would be #10, 11 or 12 on the rotation.

If Collison were with the Spurs, he would be starting ahead of Bonner...easily. He brings the defense and rebounding Oberto couldn't while also having a better offensive game.

SenorSpur
01-20-2009, 01:44 PM
I highly doubt we acquire anybody of this talent..

we're most likely going to ride with Oberto and Mahinmi, and honestly, I have no problem with that..the fact that they haven't made any noise tells me that they're happy with what Ian is currently showing, and they believe he can contribute this year..

I'm in the minority here, but I believe we can definitely win a title this year with the current 15-man roster we have..I don't think we need to add anybody, I think we need to just improve as a team defensively and in terms of effort..

regarding Collison..I don't really see how he improves our team significantly..it's not worth putting up with his contract..

I'd like to think that Ian figures into their plans this year, but somehow that idea seems to fade with each passing game. If the Spurs are truly happy with their roster, this would contradict the published reports that claim they are again in the market for a big before the trade deadline.

mexicanjunior
01-20-2009, 01:56 PM
I'd like to think that Ian figures into their plans this year, but somehow that idea seems to fade with each passing game. If the Spurs are truly happy with their roster, this would contradict the published reports that claim they are again in the market for a big before the trade deadline.

If the Spurs approved of their current big situation, I don't think we would have read as much about them trying to sign Mutumbo...

HarlemHeat37
01-20-2009, 01:57 PM
I would agree, but I haven't really taken any of the "rumors" seriously..we hear Spurs rumors every year, and there usually isn't a big move..we're always the first team people mention in regards to any veteran addition..

EricB
01-20-2009, 01:58 PM
If the Spurs approved of their current big situation, I don't think we would have read as much about them trying to sign Mutumbo...

They weren't. It was all trumped up BS by Mutombo's agent...

tp2021
01-20-2009, 01:59 PM
I think its a little funny that this thread is still going despite...
Did you guys listen to the audio? Stein doesn't mention anything about Nick Collison. He just says that it's no secret that the Spurs are looking for one more player before the deadline.

The Collison part looks like just a teaser that ESPN.com added in because Bucher had mentioned it in the mag.

I know the discussion has become more general, but still.

HarlemHeat37
01-20-2009, 02:00 PM
I mean, it's possible..but personally, I'd be surprised if the 4th and 5th bigs in the rotation isn't a combination of Oberto, Mahinmi, Croshere or Robert Horry..

NFGIII
01-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Exactly. There's no need to suggest any sort of roster overhaul, much less the thought of jettisoning one of our big three. Besides, you don't simply change out 3-4 players on your roster and expect "instant soup".

The Spurs simply need to seek to add a complmentary, reserve big, who can defend, rebound, and is a threat to score down low. I know that's a tall order because practically every team in the NBA needs such a player and the Spurs have litttle to no trade assets. A tall order, but not an impossible one. Collison isn't the ideal fit, but if he is the best they can get come the trade deadline, I'll take him. It's the frontline where there is the biggest deficiency right now. In order for the Spurs to improve their chances of advancing in the West, Tim desparately needs help.

Which has been a problem for many years. As pointed out many a time in other threads as well as above ALL NBA teams could use this yet the FO and Pop get banged on consistently for not getting one.

Like they are supposed to come up with that piece of the puzzle yearly?

With very little trade assets compared with other teams???

With an owner who refuses to go into the luxury tax territory much less deep as other owners have? Remember Jackie Butler? Dumped his salary at the cost of Scola?

If we had kept Scola - I'm not starting a Scola thread!!! - this discussion is moot. Or if Splitter comes over this year - maybe then again maybe not.

Oh to have that kind of hindsight!

They tried to do that with KT last year and it cost us our 1st in the 2009 draft. Can't trade the 2010 1st since it isn't allowed - can't trade to consecutive 1st rd picks - NBA rules IIRC - so that asset isn't available.

Things don't always work out the eay you would like but I think the FO/Pop are still looking into this. But let's face it - the Spurs are very limited in what they can offer so whatever is availble that can be had is something that they will consider.

Les Grossman
01-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Nick Collison is a worthless fuckstick who got his face broken last year for being a fucking pussy.

DaBears
01-20-2009, 03:20 PM
It would be nice if we could some how swing a deal that would bring David Lee to San Antonio.

SenorSpur
01-20-2009, 03:22 PM
It would be nice if we could some how swing a deal that would bring David Lee to San Antonio.

That would be very nice. Unfortunately, Isiah doesn't work there any more.

DaBears
01-20-2009, 03:23 PM
I say lets we trade TP & Oberto for David Lee & Chris Duhan

HarlemHeat37
01-20-2009, 03:35 PM
trade Tony Parker for 2 players that will never be equal to him in any way..combined...?

temujin
01-20-2009, 04:42 PM
If Collison were with the Spurs, he would be starting ahead of Bonner...easily. He brings the defense and rebounding Oberto couldn't while also having a better offensive game.

Bonner is a good addition to last year' Spurs.
As for Oberto, you just can't compare him with a guy that could only dream to start in an NBA Final or Olimpyc final.
And never will.
You just can't compare winners with guys on scrub, nonsense teams.

mexicanjunior
01-20-2009, 05:57 PM
You just can't compare winners with guys on scrub, nonsense teams.

I'm not saying Collison is more accomplished career wise than Oberto. My point is he would definitely help this team now by taking over the role Oberto was supposed to be filling this year...

Bruno
01-20-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm quite mixed about Collison. He a good and solid player but I have some concern about him. His lack of quickness and athleticism is quite worrisome and his offensive game won't work well with Duncan.

If his contract was one year shorter, I would be all for Spurs going after him. I'm not sure that Collison is worth hurting the 2010 capspace.

If Spurs had a Collison for Oberto+Vaughn+Udoka trade on the table, I'm not sure I would take it.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Yea, they really knew what they were doing last year when they did not have enough off the bench to make up for Manu being nicked up in the playoffs.

:rolleyes

And who exactly should we have had just sitting on the bench waiting to fully replace the contribution Manu brings to the table?

Stupid thing to say.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-20-2009, 07:27 PM
You know who I'd amke a call to if I were Pop - Alonzo Mourning. There are continuing rumours that he wants to play again, and he's perfect for us. He defends, rebounds, blocks shots, he wouldn't care if he sits a few games themn comes in when we need him against big teams like the Lakers, and most of all he is a BIG GAME PLAYER. Anyone who saw his last game in the Finals knows what I'm talking about.

Shastafarian
01-20-2009, 07:28 PM
You know who I'd amke a call to if I were Pop - Alonzo Mourning. There are continuing rumours that he wants to play again, and he's perfect for us. He defends, rebounds, blocks shots, he wouldn't care if he sits a few games themn comes in when we need him against big teams like the Lakers, and most of all he is a BIG GAME PLAYER. Anyone who saw his last game in the Finals knows what I'm talking about.
I think I remember him saying if he came back he'd only play for the Heat. I might be wrong but that's what I remember.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-20-2009, 07:44 PM
I think I remember him saying if he came back he'd only play for the Heat. I might be wrong but that's what I remember.

Yeah, he did say that, but a call from Pop or Tim might prick his vanity.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. ;)

DAF86
01-20-2009, 08:10 PM
(1) Finley's playing 28mins not 35, still too much, but you can bet Hill's minutes will increase next year - it is a natural progression we've seen with most players new to the Spurs' system. Next year Finley will be the 5th swing or retired, count on it. Hill hasn't been a great addition to the team? Which team are you watching?

I know he isn't playing 35 min per game, I was exagerating. But he does have games of 35/38 minutes which is unbelievable to me.
And I didn't say Hill wasn't a great adittion, what I tried to say is that this year (hoping that everybody stays healthy) he won't play more than 15/18 minutes per game and in that amount of time he won't be a factor to this team's championship hopes, while a quality big man will.

As for Gortat, he's a solid player, but he's no Bynum-stopper, and if you are talking Lakers, that's what you're describing. And you still haven't convinced me why Orlando would give up their first big off the bench who they like and is earning 700k.

Nobody that we get at this point of the season will be a Bynum stopper but Gortat is pretty much the best we can hope for.
I think that Orlando will go for that trade 'cause they need a decent backup for Nelson and the have Battie and Foyle to play behind Howard.

(2) I don't have the answer, except to say that I think Pop is playing CIA games with Mahinmi and that he will just appear fit and healthy one day soon and start playing. If not him, a salary dump trade at the deadline for someone.
To me this trade will make us better for this year, but I guess this has already been established :D

I know the Spurs will go deep in the playoffs, probably lose in the WCF to the Lakers but to this team the only thing that matters is to win it all, and with the current roster I don't see that happening.

manufor3
01-20-2009, 08:31 PM

exstatic
01-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Yeah, he did say that, but a call from Pop or Tim might prick his vanity.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. ;)

Mourning would sign with us, and immediately fake an injury and demand a trade to Miami.

HarlemHeat37
01-20-2009, 11:11 PM
I've suggested 'Zo a few times here, and it seems like everybody hates him on this forum..he'll be back in Miami though..

EricB
01-21-2009, 12:45 AM
Players the Spurs have a real shot at that could help

C Villenueva---I dont think thats how its spelled but the Bucks are looking to unload this guy to save tax money according to ESPN. Hes long athletic and can shoot it. Would give us more size inside without losing the ability to play the high low game.

C Frye----Portland has little use for this guy, and with Freeland signing next year he will be a DNPCD every game, perhaps we could get him for a couple vets

F Elson---dont shoot me but he moves well and would be a great defender on Gasol and Lamar when playoff time comes around.

R Turiauf----Guy is a big time rebounder and defender. He runs the floor and is avgn over 2 blocks a game in just 17 mins. He can also hit the 12 ft jumper but his D would really improve our chances.

None of the above would help the Spurs.

Especially Elson.

They traded Elson after being faced with the possibility of the Lakers twin towers, what makes you think they would all of a sudden want him back?

HarlemHeat37
01-21-2009, 01:01 AM
agree with Eric..

Bonner is better than Frye(and is a better defender/rebounder)..Elson sucks..

Villanueva has talent, but he doesn't really do anything that you guys are looking for in a big man..

EricB
01-21-2009, 01:12 AM
The only bigman thats gonna help this team is along the shotblocking decent enough offense big, an that guy just does not exist...

Chieflion
01-21-2009, 08:22 AM
Like OKC would want our shit. I am not a Parker hater. I just see trades as I see it. Presti hangs up on the phone if 2nd rounders are involved.

I still prefer doing nothing. I was just pointing out the most obvious trades.

mathbzh
01-21-2009, 08:25 AM
agree with Eric..

Bonner is better than Frye(and is a better defender/rebounder)..Elson sucks..

Villanueva has talent, but he doesn't really do anything that you guys are looking for in a big man..

And Turiaf is a liability on the offensive end and an overrated defender.
He is a great shotblocker and brings energy but nothing more.

mountainballer
01-21-2009, 09:33 AM
And Turiaf is a liability on the offensive end and an overrated defender.
He is a great shotblocker and brings energy but nothing more.

that's right.
and people need to consider, that his great shotblocking numbers also come from often giving up a better rebounding position, which causes a quite low rebounding production. (he's a bit of the opposite to Reggie Evans, who never goes for the block to not lose the better rebounding position. also not the perfect defense. the real good defender manage to do both. see Camby and Tim)

The III
01-21-2009, 09:58 AM
I know he has some miles ,how about Mikki Moore ?

MB20
01-21-2009, 12:00 PM
I know he has some miles ,how about Mikki Moore ?

Not as many miles as Demi...

temujin
01-21-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm not saying Collison is more accomplished career wise than Oberto. My point is he would definitely help this team now by taking over the role Oberto was supposed to be filling this year...

Help in what? Get 58 rather than 55 Wins? Get a better seed in the PO? Spurs are not getting the top spot anyway.

Come playoffs time, you need an intelligent, experienced folk teammates trust that will give you 10 quality minutes at that spot.

You need players that have competed for something else than his job and salary in their career.

temujin
01-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Not as many miles as Demi...

Do you know that for both?

mountainballer
01-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Help in what? Get 58 rather than 55 Wins? Get a better seed in the PO? Spurs are not getting the top spot anyway.

Come playoffs time, you need an intelligent, experienced folk teammates trust that will give you 10 quality minutes at that spot.

You need players that have competed for something else than his job and salary in their career.

tell me, whats your problem with Collison. if you think he's not talented enough to help the Spurs, ok. some simple arguments to back up this are enough.
but why do you think you need to back up your opinion by run him down as a person?
Collison has always been one of the good guys in the league (same in Kansas), highly respected by his teammates, totally commited to the team, humble and intelligent on and off the court.
he would be as much a prototypical Spurs character as any player in the league.

beachwood
01-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Players the Spurs have a real shot at that could help

C Villenueva---I dont think thats how its spelled but the Bucks are looking to unload this guy to save tax money according to ESPN. Hes long athletic and can shoot it. Would give us more size inside without losing the ability to play the high low game.

C Frye----Portland has little use for this guy, and with Freeland signing next year he will be a DNPCD every game, perhaps we could get him for a couple vets

F Elson---dont shoot me but he moves well and would be a great defender on Gasol and Lamar when playoff time comes around.

R Turiauf----Guy is a big time rebounder and defender. He runs the floor and is avgn over 2 blocks a game in just 17 mins. He can also hit the 12 ft jumper but his D would really improve our chances.

I would love to have Frye. I watched him develop all 4 years in Arizona under Lute Olson and he grew into a hell of a player. He has tremendous potential and is a hard worker. He just needs to find a team and a coach that will invest in him.

urunobili
01-21-2009, 04:01 PM
Frye > Collison

temujin
01-21-2009, 06:43 PM
tell me, whats your problem with Collison. if you think he's not talented enough to help the Spurs, ok. some simple arguments to back up this are enough.
but why do you think you need to back up your opinion by run him down as a person?
Collison has always been one of the good guys in the league (same in Kansas), highly respected by his teammates, totally commited to the team, humble and intelligent on and off the court.
he would be as much a prototypical Spurs character as any player in the league.

Mentioning that he has no experience whatsoever at a certain level is NOT running down Collison as a person.
The Spurs will not trade one of the veterans -much less two- for someone never tested when the ball weigths 20 pounds.
So goes the world.

HarlemHeat37
01-21-2009, 07:17 PM
if we had Channing Frye, you guys would be complaining about him every game..he's softer than Bonner..

xtremesteven33
01-21-2009, 07:23 PM
7 pages for a un factual rumor????

wow.

DROB4EVER
01-21-2009, 11:48 PM
None of the above would help the Spurs.

Especially Elson.

They traded Elson after being faced with the possibility of the Lakers twin towers, what makes you think they would all of a sudden want him back?

The Lakers didnt have twin towers when we traded him. All of these guys are better defenders than Bonner, and better rebounders. They are also tall and dont have T-Rex arms.

DROB4EVER
01-21-2009, 11:52 PM
I cant believe any spurs fan would want bonner over the above mentioned! All of them have flaws but Bonner only does 1 thing well. I mean come on guys Our starting Center is avgn 4 rebounds a game, and he has the wingspan of a 6-5 guy.

He is a poor defender, piss poor......any wonder why the spurs who for the past 12 years are always a top 3 defensive team are now ranked 18th!

EricB
01-21-2009, 11:52 PM
The Lakers didnt have twin towers when we traded him. All of these guys are better defenders than Bonner, and better rebounders. They are also tall and dont have T-Rex arms.

In yes they did. The kurt Thomas trade was a direct reaction to the gasol trade.

Apology accepted.

EricB
01-21-2009, 11:54 PM
I cant believe any spurs fan would want bonner over the above mentioned! All of them have flaws but Bonner only does 1 thing well. I mean come on guys Our starting Center is avgn 4 rebounds a game, and he has the wingspan of a 6-5 guy.

He is a poor defender, piss poor......any wonder why the spurs who for the past 12 years are always a top 3 defensive team are now ranked 18th!

Get a clue, he isn't piss poor. Learn the game before making such outlandish statements

DROB4EVER
01-22-2009, 12:00 AM
In yes they did. The kurt Thomas trade was a direct reaction to the gasol trade.

Apology accepted.

Remember Bynum wasnt playing then, he was comming back from an injury and never did, the trade happened after he was hurt. I know one thing, you dont find many guys his size that can move like Elson can. He would allow Tim to take Bynum and he could stay will Gasol.

Bonner cant stay with either!

DROB4EVER
01-22-2009, 12:01 AM
Get a clue, he isn't piss poor. Learn the game before making such outlandish statements

Get some glasses dude, he is the worst defender on our team. Dont confuse effort with skill! I played at a high level so I think I know the game.