PDA

View Full Version : Who did we pass on

Biggems
01-18-2009, 11:09 PM
when we were courting Jason Kidd about 5 years ago?

I know that we drafted Barbosa for PHX because we were saving money to get Kidd......but what FAs did we pass on?

SenorSpur
01-18-2009, 11:13 PM
I wouldn't have been so much worried about FAs they passed on. My issue with that 2003 draft and the Spurs accompanying philosophy was that, in the process of drafting Barbosa for PHX and not wanting to pay a 1st rounder, the Spurs passed on Josh Howard at their pick. He went to the Mavs at the very next pick.

BlackSwordsMan
01-18-2009, 11:20 PM
the Spurs passed on Josh Howard at their pick. He went to the Mavs at the very next pick.

:flag:

Brutalis
01-18-2009, 11:22 PM
Jermaine O'Neal for one.

ducks
01-18-2009, 11:24 PM
Jermaine O'Neal for one.

spurs second target was him

ducks
01-18-2009, 11:24 PM
:flag:

duncan and pop wanted him
but were overruled

baseline bum
01-18-2009, 11:25 PM
Jermaine O'Neal for one.

They didn't pass on O'Neal. He didn't want to come (thankfully).

dirk4mvp
01-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Had you guys got Howard, he'd still be playing at the level he was in 06 and not turned into a sulking lazy ass.

baseline bum
01-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Had you guys got Howard, he'd still be playing at the level he was in 06 and not turned into a sulking lazy ass.

If Howard couldn't handle AJ, I'm not sure how much he'd like Pop.

IronMexican
01-18-2009, 11:35 PM
2003 was one of the most ridiculously deep draft classes I've ever seen.

RobinsontoDuncan
01-18-2009, 11:41 PM
don't forget carlos boozer (who I wanted the spurs to draft in '03) was a second round draft pick that year

ducks
01-18-2009, 11:42 PM
If Howard couldn't handle AJ, I'm not sure how much he'd like Pop.

cuban is a cancer
spurs turned around sj
they could handle josh

dirk4mvp
01-18-2009, 11:48 PM
This thread's I.Q. was pretty high until that stupid faggot posted in it.

ducks
01-18-2009, 11:49 PM
:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes

Biggems
01-18-2009, 11:49 PM
I was looking back at some of the drafts.....we chose John Salmons and traded him to Philly in 2002....about 10 picks later, the Bulls drafted Roger Mason. I liked the Scola pick. I wish we would have signed Haslem after his Summer League stint in 2002.

Yeah, I am still bitter that we helped both PHX and Dallas in the 2003 draft, all over Jason Kidd....and we didnt even get him. I am happy we didnt get him, but I wish we would have gotten Howard.

In 2004, we could have had Chris Duhon, but got Beno instead. We wasted both 2nd rounders.....while Nocioni and Wilkins went undrafted.

In 2005, Ian was the best choice. I have no complaints about this pick.

In 2006, our pick went to the Knicks, I guess for Nazr. Well if we had Haslem and Scola, we wouldn't have needed trade our first rounder. There was nobody at the end of the 1st worth a darn. however, in the middle of the 2nd round, Leon Powe and Paul Millsap were drafted. Either would have been a solid choice for our front court.

In 2007, I liked the Splitter pick....in the 2nd, I would have rather gone after Marc Gasol, instead of Marcus Williams. Gasol would have been a nice insurance policy in case Splitter balked, which he did.

In 2008, I am glad we got Hill. I am also glad about Hairston and Gist.

So since 2002, we could have drafted Mason, Scola, Haslem, Howard, Duhon, Nocioni, Wilkins, Ian, Millsap/Powe, Splitter, Gasol, Hill, Hairston, and Gist.

Duncan, Manu, Parker, and Bowen are the core of the team. I am assuming Jackson would have still walked after 2003, thus we drafted Howard. Because of these draft picks...we never did the Nazr, Rasho, or Thomas trades. We never signed Barry, Finley, or Oberto. The Red Rocket would never have been a Spur, nor would have Vaughn.

C - Gasol, Ian, Millsap/Powe
PF - Duncan, Scola, Haslem
SF - Bowen, Howard, Nocioni
SG - Manu, Mason, Wilkins
PG - Parker, Duhon, Hill

dirk4mvp
01-18-2009, 11:51 PM
:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes

I'm glad you agree.

ducks
01-18-2009, 11:51 PM
So since 2002, we could have drafted Mason, Scola, Haslem, Howard, Duhon, Nocioni, Wilkins, Ian, Millsap/Powe, Splitter, Gasol, Hill, Hairston, and Gist.

and all the other 25 or 26 teams of the spurs could have picked them to before the spurs picked them
the other front office teams must really suck worse then then spurs

ploto
01-19-2009, 12:17 AM
The Spurs did not really pass on any free agents to court Kidd. It is not like they signed Kidd and could not therefore sign other FA's. Kidd passed and the Spurs still had all that money to spend. Some passed on them that summer, though. They did talk to Jermaine O'Neal but he never even came for his visit.

It really had more to do with what they did before then to set up having the greatest amount of available cap space, such as letting Speedy go and trading draft picks, so as not to lock up money.

ManuTP9
01-19-2009, 12:20 AM

:lol

Biggems
01-19-2009, 12:21 AM

and all the other 25 or 26 teams of the spurs could have picked them to before the spurs picked them
the other front office teams must really suck worse then then spurs

I like our front office.....RC and Pop do a great job.....

Out of all the players listed, my two biggest beefs are taking Beno instead of Duhon (I liked Duhon at the time) and not signing Haslem. I mean he was in our summer league. He was ours for the taking and we let him go.

GSH
01-19-2009, 12:27 AM
The Spurs did not really pass on any free agents to court Kidd. It is not like they signed Kidd and could not therefore sign other FA's. Kidd passed and the Spurs still had all that money to spend. Some passed on them that summer, though. They did talk to Jermaine O'Neal but he never even came for his visit.

I think all the attention and hype surrounding Kidd and O'Neal may have hurt our chances to get P.J. Brown that season. No way to prove or disprove it, but that's what I thought at the time.

He still had some good miles in him, and would have been better than any C we have had since.

m33p0
01-19-2009, 12:39 AM
I was looking back at some of the drafts.....we chose John Salmons and traded him to Philly in 2002....about 10 picks later, the Bulls drafted Roger Mason. I liked the Scola pick. I wish we would have signed Haslem after his Summer League stint in 2002.

Yeah, I am still bitter that we helped both PHX and Dallas in the 2003 draft, all over Jason Kidd....and we didnt even get him. I am happy we didnt get him, but I wish we would have gotten Howard.

In 2004, we could have had Chris Duhon, but got Beno instead. We wasted both 2nd rounders.....while Nocioni and Wilkins went undrafted.

In 2006, our pick went to the Knicks, I guess for Nazr. Well if we had Haslem and Scola, we wouldn't have needed trade our first rounder. There was nobody at the end of the 1st worth a darn. however, in the middle of the 2nd round, Leon Powe and Paul Millsap were drafted. Either would have been a solid choice for our front court.

In 2007, I liked the Splitter pick....in the 2nd, I would have rather gone after Marc Gasol, instead of Marcus Williams. Gasol would have been a nice insurance policy in case Splitter balked, which he did.

Duncan, Manu, Parker, and Bowen are the core of the team. I am assuming Jackson would have still walked after 2003, thus we drafted Howard. Because of these draft picks...we never did the Nazr, Rasho, or Thomas trades. We never signed Barry, Finley, or Oberto. The Red Rocket would never have been a Spur, nor would have Vaughn.

PG - Parker, Duhon, Hill
excellent post. :tu

the spurs today would have been completely different if they never tried to pursue jason kidd. had kidd signed with the spurs, i believe the spurs will be gasping for air right now.

Yorae
01-19-2009, 01:07 AM
PG - Parker, Duhon, Hil

The rest of the league would tremble before that line up......but i doubt coach pop could find playing time for all these players and leave them satisfied....

exstatic
01-19-2009, 01:37 AM
I think all the attention and hype surrounding Kidd and O'Neal may have hurt our chances to get P.J. Brown that season. No way to prove or disprove it, but that's what I thought at the time.

He still had some good miles in him, and would have been better than any C we have had since.

Actually, it was disproved. The Spurs wanted him and made him an offer. His wife was from Slidell, I think, or one of the other surrounding cities around N.O. He signed with the Hornets. No great mystery there. You gots to keep the wifey happy.

exstatic
01-19-2009, 01:40 AM

PG - Parker, Duhon, Hill

The SF rotation alone would have broken the payroll. :lol You look like Paul Allen, putting together a Jailblazer roster. Do you think the Spurs could pay even half those salaries? Take the red pill.

mystargtr34
01-19-2009, 02:30 AM
That payroll would be about.... $110 million, per year.

Buddy Holly
01-19-2009, 02:38 AM
and not signing Haslem. I mean he was in our summer league. He was ours for the taking and we let him go.

If I remember correctly, he was on the SL team but like a week before it began he left and joined the Miami squad, probably because he was from Miami, and that was it.

m33p0
01-19-2009, 03:50 AM
The SF rotation alone would have broken the payroll. :lol You look like Paul Allen, putting together a Jailblazer roster. Do you think the Spurs could pay even half those salaries? Take the red pill.
nevertheless, it gives Pop a very good crop of players to pick and choose who stays and who gets traded and still leaves behind one badass team full of badassness molded in his image (sans the wacko beard, i hope).

Austin_Toros
01-19-2009, 03:55 AM
WOW! i had no idea spurs wanted J-Kidd or even Jermaine. I wonder what the spurs would be like if we snared one of them...

and its crazy how many quality players they could have drafted- it goes to show that great players go late and every pick is an opportunity to be a steal.

but even though we passed up talent, i just think of how good the spurs FO are in choosing TP, Manu, Hill, possibly even Mahinmi etc.

mrspurs
01-19-2009, 10:15 AM
I like our front office.....RC and Pop do a great job.....

Out of all the players listed, my two biggest beefs are taking Beno instead of Duhon (I liked Duhon at the time) and not signing Haslem. I mean he was in our summer league. He was ours for the taking and we let him go.

agreed

exstatic
01-19-2009, 10:29 AM
WOW! i had no idea spurs wanted J-Kidd or even Jermaine. I wonder what the spurs would be like if we snared one of them...

We wouldn't have trophies in 2005 and 2007. That's what we'd be like.

dbestpro
01-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Haslem, Mikki Moore and Raja Bell where all in camp and were cut.

Spurs Brazil
01-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Haslem, Mikki Moore and Raja Bell where all in camp and were cut.

Haslem played for us in the summer league. He wasn't in camp

EricB
01-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Derrick dial was chosen over raja bell as well

dbestpro
01-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Haslem played for us in the summer league. He wasn't in camp

Okay, so he went to summer camp.

exstatic
01-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Okay, so he went to summer league.

FIFY. Stop trying to somehow spin that you didn't mean training camp.

GSH
01-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Actually, it was disproved. The Spurs wanted him and made him an offer. His wife was from Slidell, I think, or one of the other surrounding cities around N.O. He signed with the Hornets. No great mystery there. You gots to keep the wifey happy.

No doubt that's what the press releases said. I still think we could have had him if we had shown that we really wanted him, rather than him being an after-thought. No way to prove it either way, but that's what I think. But don't forget that after he played for N.O. he spent a year in Chicago, and another year in Boston. Those places are a hell of a lot further from Slidell than San Antonio.

If they had brought his wife here, she would have liked it. (How could she not like it?) And he would have been awesome playing next to Tim for those next few years. He averaged about 10 and 9, and he got to the line about three times as often as Rasho.

Biggems
01-19-2009, 10:19 PM
I am not saying we would have kept them all....I mean, being a small market, no way we could afford it....But it sure would have given us flexibility in trades and so forth. It would have also given us tons of depth.