Rapper
01-19-2009, 02:25 AM
My friend said :" possess pulchritude which is beyond compare"

is it correct?

if i say:" possessed of pulchritude which is beyond compare"

or

"possessing pulchritude which is beyond compare"

would it be better?

who can answer me that are these sentences correct or not?

Heath Ledger
01-19-2009, 03:05 AM
White porcelain.

spurspf
01-19-2009, 03:50 AM
possessing pulchritude beyond compare. As to your question, never, maybe and maybe, as always depending on the context. Ok, the first one is not a never if preceeded by an "I".

CuckingFunt
01-19-2009, 04:26 AM
possessing pulchritude beyond compare. As to your question, never, maybe and maybe, as always depending on the context. Ok, the first one is not a never if preceeded by an "I".

And the "which"es should be "that"s.

Summers
01-19-2009, 10:06 AM
Rapper, we need the complete sentence because conjugations are different depending on subject and tense. Here's what I mean. These are correct:

The women of Brazil possess pulchritude beyond compare...
According to legend, Helen of Troy possessed pulchritude...

Also, I would take out "which/that" completely for the sake of brevity.

PS: I had to "dictionary.com" pulchritude. :lol

Winehole23
01-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Depending on the context, all the variations above may be correct. Agree with Summers, drop the relative pronouns. The "possessed of" locution is quaint at best, stilted at worst; it's bad style IMO.

2Blonde
01-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Rapper, we need the complete sentence because conjugations are different depending on subject and tense. Here's what I mean. These are correct:

The women of Brazil possess pulchritude beyond compare...
According to legend, Helen of Troy possessed pulchritude...

Also, I would take out "which/that" completely for the sake of brevity.

PS: I had to "dictionary.com" pulchritude. :lol
Unless you're G.W. Bush, in which case it would be "The women of Brazil possess pulchritudiness beyond compare... :toast

Sapphire
01-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Unless you're G.W. Bush, in which case it would be "The women of Brazil possess pulchritudiness beyond compare... :toast

Actually, it would be "The women of Brazil, which is over there near Canada, possess pulchritudiness which is waaaaaaaay beyond comparativeness....."

:lol I'm gonna miss Bushie.

BushDynasty
01-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Why, darlin, that's awful sweet of ya.

Laura and I are just finishing up burying, ooops, burning, I mean packin' up the stuff for the movers. It's been fun. Just wait 'til Jeb takes over in 2012!!!

ploto
01-19-2009, 06:26 PM
They are all wrong in their use of the word "which."

Solid D
01-19-2009, 07:36 PM

is it correct?

or

would it be better?

I would like to recommend executing on some basics, as long as you are desiring correctness with your English grammar. An example of this would be basics such as starting sentences with capital letters. Puctuating questions (ex. your thread title) with question marks would also be a good thing. Those are easy things to execute and it's easy to sink that three-pointer once you get your shooting form established.

:smokin

Rogue
01-19-2009, 09:03 PM
each expression is OK because we all recognise two facts from each of these lines.

One is you wanna use these words to describe, or praise, or even kiss the ass of a female whom you dream to fuck; the other is you are absolutely an IDIOT.

Who has so much time and energy to pay the grammars any attention? it's OK as long as we can get what others mean and make ourselves understood. Only book-worms enjoy chewing the words and find fault with them, but they finally get nothing but shit.

Summers
01-19-2009, 10:21 PM
each expression is OK because we all recognise two facts from each of these lines.

One is you wanna use these words to describe, or praise, or even kiss the ass of a female whom you dream to fuck; the other is you are absolutely an IDIOT.

Who has so much time and energy to pay the grammars any attention? it's OK as long as we can get what others mean and make ourselves understood. Only book-worms enjoy chewing the words and find fault with them, but they finally get nothing but shit.

I guess it depends on which kind of women you're trying to impress.

RandomGuy
01-20-2009, 10:30 AM

is it correct?

or

would it be better?

"possess pulchritude which is beyond compare"

Can be an imperitive (ordering/requesting someone to possess pulchritude...)

Or it can be part of a sentence fragment as Summers rightly pointed out.

"possess of" is a bit archaic (old style english) that would sound better if one were talking to someone born in 1890, but not modern english speakers.

As Summers pointed out, whether the "possess" or "possessing" is more appropriate depends on the pronoun and context in which the phrase is used.