PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Bulls - Jan. 17

timvp
01-19-2009, 06:06 AM
After giving up at least 105 points in three straight games, the San Antonio Spurs wanted to buckle down defensively against the Chicago Bulls. While the defense was still far from perfect, the Spurs looked a lot better as they handed the Bulls a 92-87 defeat.

With the Spurs trailing by a point with under two minutes to go, Tony Parker hit a difficult layup. After a stop, Manu Ginobili nailed a three-pointer to put the Spurs up by four points. To finish the game, Ginobili hit 6-of-7 free throws down the stretch. The final three attempts came when he faked countryman Andres Nocioni at the three-point line and drew a three-shot foul.

The Bulls have a good amount of talent but they are still trying to figure out how to play as a team. Vinny Del Negro did a decent coaching job in the first three quarters but he was thoroughly outcoached by Pop in the final stanza.

As for the Spurs, this win was a step in the right direction. The defense was better and it helped the team survive a sub par offensive showing. The Spurs have teased their fans with a few good defensive showings here and there so hopefully this one isn’t fool’s gold and it’s actually the start of something real.

Tim Duncan
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3173.jpg
37 minutes, 18 points, 14 rebounds, four assists, four blocks
7-for-16 from the field, 4-for-5 from the line

Tim Duncan selected his spots wisely against the Bulls. Although at times he seemed a bit passive and floated out on the perimeter a bit too much during a few stretches, he took control of the ship when the Spurs needed him. Duncan did good work on the boards, protected the rim and produced offensively without turning the ball over. More consistent energy from Duncan would be helpful but on this night he was good enough.
-------------------------------

Manu Ginobili
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3380.jpg
31 minutes, 21 points, six rebounds, four assists, two steals
5-for-11 from the field, 2-for-6 on three-pointers, 9-for-11 at the line

Manu Ginobili was having a decent game before he took the game over at the end. His clutch three-pointer and the three free throws he drew were very important. When it was all said and done, Ginobili had a vintage Ginobili type game. Scoring the last nine points on offense while being extremely active on defense, he mastered the art of controlled chaos during this performance. If Ginobili can rediscover his three-point stroke, his return to 100% effectiveness could very well be complete.

Tony Parker
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg
37 minutes, 20 points, eight assists, three rebounds, four turnovers
10-for-20 from the field

Tony Parker was fantastic in the first quarter. He had ten points and six assists while perfectly orchestrating San Antonio’s offense. He also played very good defense against rookie phenom Derrick Rose – forcing him out of his comfort zones. Then for the next two and a half quarters, Parker struggled mightily. He lost the ability to create for himself or others and seemed to be running out of energy. Even more distressing, his chemistry with Duncan on the pick-and-roll was horrible. A number of times, he either turned it over on the pass or gave it to Duncan in a position where he couldn’t do anything. Thankfully, Parker found a second wind late in the contest and came up big near the end. His defense improved and he added a pair of important hoops when the Spurs were desperately searching for offense. Overall, Parker definitely could have play better but at least he redeemed himself before it was too late.

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg
26 minutes, four points, one rebound, one assist
1-for-8 from the field, 0-for-3 on three-pointers, 2-for-2 from the line

Roger Mason, Jr. just wasn’t very good on this night. Defensively, he was about one and half steps too slow in trying to guard Ben Gordon. He got better as the game wore on but remained a liability in that matchup. Offensively, he rushed his shots even when he was open. Mason was either sick, tired or completely out of rhythm. It’s also not a great sign that he only has a total of two rebounds and two assists in his last three games.

Michael Finley
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3023.jpg
34 minutes, 11 points, four rebounds, one steal, one block
4-for-9 from the field, 3-for-7 on three-pointers

To start the game, Michael Finley wasn’t very good. His offense was sporadic, his shot selection was again poor and his defense was shaky. Pop stuck with him and eventually that strategy paid off. Finley poured in eight important points in the first four minutes of the fourth quarter when the offense was sputtering. Entering the fourth quarter, Finley had hit just three of his previous 20 shots. He picked a good time to break out of his slump.

Matt Bonner
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg
29 minutes, 12 points, 11 rebounds, one steal, one block
5-for-12 from the field, 2-for-5 on three-pointers

Offensively, Matt Bonner is beginning to look very comfortable. He scored 12 points against the Bulls and now has scored in double figures in three straight games and in five out of the last six. For the month of January, he’s averaging 10.6 points per game on 57.4% from the field and 59.3% from beyond the three-point arc. While his scoring was appreciated versus Chicago, the stat that really stood out was his rebounding. His 11 boards marked only the second time this season he’s reached double figures in caroms and his seven offensive rebounds tied a season-high. If he can bring this type of effort on the glass consistently, Bonner could quickly turn into a legitimate starting center.

Bruce Bowen
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3167.jpg
19 minutes, two assists, one steal
0-for-2 from the field, 0-for-2 on three-pointers

After not playing at all in the first 28 minutes of the game, Bruce Bowen was on the court for all but 40 seconds the rest of the way. Bowen’s main task was to defend Gordon. While Gordon was able to score a few baskets on him early on, Bowen was able to hold him scoreless in the final nine minutes of the game. On offense, Bowen is in the midst of his first prolonged slump of the season. He’s connected on just one of his last seven shots over the last five games.

Kurt Thomas
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3012.jpg
12 minutes, four points, four rebounds
2-for-3 from the field

Kurt Thomas had a solid outing. He defended the post well, he grabbed a few tough boards and continued his hot shooting ways. In his last five games, Thomas is 15-for-19 from the field and is averaging 6.2 points in only 16 minutes per game. His play isn’t flashy but he’s getting the job done as of late.

George Hill
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4488.jpg
10 minutes, one rebound
0-for-3

Following four quality games in a row, George Hill had his second straight clunker. He’s now 1-for-12 in his last two games and his missed shots have come from just about every spot on the court. Against the Bulls, he even missed on a fast break dunk. Hopefully Hill can get back on the right track and quickly revive his shooting touch.

Fabricio Oberto
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3988.jpg
Five minutes, two points
1-for-1 from the field

Fabricio Oberto got five minutes of first half action but wasn’t much of a factor. He set a few good screens and moved well without the ball a couple of times. Defensively, he moved his feet well but failed to come up with a rebound – which was a problem for him earlier in the season. For Oberto regain a spot in the rotation, rebounding is mandatory.

Gregg Popovich
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/popovich_gregg030428.jpg

Pop is starting to get on the team about the lack of defense and we saw a positive response by the players against Chicago. Inserting Bowen late to cool down Gordon was a good move. He also deserves credit for going with Finley to start the fourth quarter and calling a variety of quality plays near the end of the contest. He kept the Bulls guessing whether the ball would go to Duncan, Ginobili or Parker.

Offense

The Spurs had good rhythm in the first quarter but had a tough time recapturing that rhythm in the final three periods. As a result, their final numbers aren’t too pretty. They shot 41.2% from the field and just 7-for-23 from three-point range. The good news is that they had 20 assists and only nine turnovers. Getting to the line 19 times isn’t great – but we’ve seen worse.

Defense

The defensive effort was a lot better, although the chemistry on that end of the court is still coming together. The Bulls ended up shooting 44.7% from the field, which is too high for the Spurs to allow. But San Antonio deserves credit for limiting Chicago’s three-pointers (3-for-10) and free throws (8-for-10). The Spurs also won the rebounding battle 45-44.

Drive to Five

The Spurs look to keep their defensive focus in their next game on Monday afternoon against the Charlotte Bobcats. The Bobcats are actually playing well, having won three in a row including victories over Detroit and Portland. Larry Brown will undoubtedly have a few tricks up his sleeve going against Pop but hopefully the Spurs can improve upon their 26-13 record.

Believe.

Kamnik
01-19-2009, 07:03 AM
nice read as always

DAF86
01-19-2009, 07:11 AM
Bonner could quickly turn into a legitimate starting center.

Why do people keep saying that Bonner is a center?

9-for-11 at the line

How long since a Spur didn't get to the line 11 times?

timvp
01-19-2009, 07:19 AM
Why do people keep saying that Bonner is a center?That's his listed position.

How long since a Spur didn't get to the line 11 times?The previous game. Duncan, 12.

DAF86
01-19-2009, 07:26 AM
The previous game. Duncan, 12.

Lol I missed that one. We lost so bad that I didn't even care to look for the box score. Either way, there aren't many of those for Spurs players this season, we need to be more agressive.

Chieflion
01-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Free throws means we are getting on the right track. Parker needs to be more aggressive.

Illusionarist
01-19-2009, 07:30 AM
Nice work as always. Please keep up.

igruex
01-19-2009, 07:45 AM
Tony is running out of gas a bit too often over the last 10/12 games, it's becoming obvious when it happens..
Pop needs to figure out how to avoid em. Maybe finding someone (we do have many options) who steps up during these slumps, or handling better TP's minutes, dunno.

quentin_compson
01-19-2009, 07:53 AM
When it was all said and done, Ginobili had a vintage Ginobili type game.

Well put. I can't think of many players able to take over a game in such a clever way.
As for Finley, I was really afraid for a long time that he would have one of those ugly games we had to witness too often last season. But in the end, you can't complain too much about someone who helps you win the game down the stretch.

Thanks again for your effort, timvp. :tu

Ice009
01-19-2009, 08:09 AM
TP finished well, but if it wasn't for his finish it would have been another bad game.

20 shots to get 20 points?

What is the problem with Parker of late? Is he just tired? Maybe Pop needs to give Hill more minutes, if he doesn't do that maybe he needs to give Mason minutes at PG to rest TP more.

Brazil
01-19-2009, 08:10 AM
Michael Finley
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3023.jpg
34 minutes, 11 points, four rebounds, one steal, one block
4-for-9 from the field, 3-for-7 on three-pointers

To start the game, Michael Finley wasn’t very good. His offense was sporadic, his shot selection was again poor and his defense was shaky. Pop stuck with him and eventually that strategy paid off. Finley poured in eight important points in the first four minutes of the fourth quarter when the offense was sputtering. Entering the fourth quarter, Finley had hit just three of his previous 20 shots. He picked a good time to break out of his slump.

Matt Bonner
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg
29 minutes, 12 points, 11 rebounds, one steal, one block
5-for-12 from the field, 2-for-5 on three-pointers

Offensively, Matt Bonner is beginning to look very comfortable. He scored 12 points against the Bulls and now has scored in double figures in three straight games and in five out of the last six. For the month of January, he’s averaging 10.6 points per game on 57.4% from the field and 59.3% from beyond the three-point arc. While his scoring was appreciated versus Chicago, the stat that really stood out was his rebounding. His 11 boards marked only the second time this season he’s reached double figures in caroms and his seven offensive rebounds tied a season-high. If he can bring this type of effort on the glass consistently, Bonner could quickly turn into a legitimate starting center.

For me this year we have at least 4 huge good surprises : G. Hill for sure, Mason nuff said, Bonner and Finley.

I'm very happy to see Finley playing well, of course he has ups and downs but he is 153 years old ! He is shooting well and I find him in a really good shape, he is playing hard. He will be important in the POs.

Once again for whatever reasons I'm not so worried about the lack of big issue: we are rebounding decently and for the interior D all depends on Tim and we know he is going to increase intensity when POs will come.

whottt
01-19-2009, 08:11 AM
Matt Bonner
While his scoring was appreciated versus Chicago, the stat that really stood out was his rebounding. His 11 boards marked only the second time this season he’s reached double figures in caroms and his seven offensive rebounds tied a season-high. If he can bring this type of effort on the glass consistently, Bonner could quickly turn into a legitimate starting center

I like to call this the Austin Croshere effect.

urunobili
01-19-2009, 08:16 AM
Thanks timvp! Do you think Bowen should start getting more consistent minutes or that Pop will wait till the end of the season to go with that? I think he is saving him as he does with Manu... he wants both super fresh and on great shape come the end of the reg season

urunobili
01-19-2009, 08:17 AM

With the current Scola slump i was about to bump the thread Scola>Bonner :stirpot:

benefactor
01-19-2009, 08:25 AM
Yeah...its interesting how Bonner suddenly begins to play better when there is a player with a similar skill set in his rear view mirror.

wildbill2u
01-19-2009, 09:08 AM
Hill may be hitting the "rookie wall"

z0sa
01-19-2009, 11:23 AM

An interesting angle ... but doubtfully a factor. The guy is on a 10 day for Chrissakes, while Bonner's PT is guaranteed now. Bonner has been overdue for a big rebounding game. Now let's hope he keeps it up.

Yeah...its interesting how Bonner suddenly begins to play better when there is a player with a similar skill set in his rear view mirror.

I wouldn't call Croshere's role anything near being "in the rearview"... he's older and defensively challenged, even moreso than Bonner (he makes Bonner look damn good if you ask me), and Bonner's stroke is much sweeter, especially the midrange game. Another thing are Bonner's hooks in the lane, which are usually money, even over taller defenders. Croshere might be a slightly better rebounder, but only in spot minutes; overall, Bonner's going to get more rebounds than him at the respective stages of their careers.

Now, it may be a factor that having a new player come in and do their things in practice let's you learn a trick or two.. but rebounding is something Bonner didn't need help with, just a little more luck.

Spurs Brazil
01-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Finley is playing really well this season but in the last 3 or 4 games he's taking some bad shots. Maybe he doesn't get the ball a lot and when he has he want to shoot