PDA

View Full Version : Who the Spurs should go after this summer....

xtremesteven33
01-19-2009, 07:09 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/d5tfm.jpg

Oink Oink
01-19-2009, 07:17 PM
channing frye blazers wont match

td4mvp21
01-19-2009, 07:18 PM
I concur, if he will sign at a decent price.

xtremesteven33
01-19-2009, 07:20 PM
A frontcourt of Duncan and Wallace would own any of the frontcourts in the West.

We would have the best Backcourt AND Frontcourt. thatd be sweet.

sonic21
01-19-2009, 07:23 PM
jacques vaughn :tu

stéphane
01-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Wallace isn't flawless mentally but he sure has talent and something left.
I do not get to see him play 20games a year but TD/Wallace battles have always been something I was waiting to watch. When you can give Tim a run for his money like Wallace does, it means something (and don't talk about Dalembert please lol).

honestfool84
01-19-2009, 08:14 PM
ummmmmmmmmmmmmm.

if he can chill out quite a bit, maybe.

i don't think pop would like to have the league-leader-in-technicals-on-his-team.

but that would be a bada$$ front court.

what about 2010, though?

xtremesteven33
01-19-2009, 08:34 PM
ummmmmmmmmmmmmm.

i don't think pop would like to have the league-leader-in-technicals-on-his-team.

what about 2010, though?

I think if Sheed wants to win another championship, the logical choice would be with San Antonio. Detroit will soon be in rebuillding mode.

Of course though the Spurs wont offer much to Sheed as far as contract goes. BUT i just see him as a perfect fit at the 5 spot.

AFBlue
01-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Of all the potentially available free agents over the next two years, I'm not sure I'd put Sheed even in the top 10.

honestfool84
01-19-2009, 08:44 PM
maybe offer him $5million.

samikeyp
01-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Sheed would be a good addition.

Stump
01-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Of all the potentially available free agents over the next two years, I'm not sure I'd put Sheed even in the top 10.
And how many of those top ten players do we have a legitimate shot at?

ManuTP9
01-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Melvin Ely of course

Rogue
01-19-2009, 08:51 PM
"who the spurs should go after this summer....."

It's the first time I see "who the spurs" instead of "who the hell" or "who the F" :lmao

It's pretty humorous to replace the F with "spurs" :lmao

galvatron3000
01-19-2009, 09:16 PM
1. Rasheed Wallace
2. Jamario Moon

Channing Frye or Ike Diogu, if the Blazers won't match

on the outside chance we could make a half hearted run at

1. Ron Artest
2. Lamar Odom

urunobili
01-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Fail

Sheed is too lazy on a consistent basis to be a Spur

AFBlue
01-19-2009, 09:25 PM
And how many of those top ten players do we have a legitimate shot at?

Depends who/what they're willing to give up as to how "legitimate" their chances are to land any one free agent.

All I'm saying is that there are multiple options over the next two years that fill a need for the team in both the short and long term...and none that I'm thinking of have the issues of Rasheed Wallace.

xtremesteven33
01-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Wallace:

-great defender
-great rebounder
-great 3 point shooter
-good shotblocker
-championship experience
-HIGH bball IQ

the only thing working against him is his age, but i think the Spurs should at least make a run for him and see what happens. Again, they wont be the highest bidders but if he is serious about winning a couple more championships, San Antonios the place to be.

xtremesteven33
01-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Fail

Sheed is too lazy on a consistent basis to be a Spur

i wouldnt call it lazy, i would call it "lack of focus"

this Spurs team goes thru the same thing. Even Duncan goes thru it. That doesnt mean he wouldnt be a fantastic addition to this spurs team.

exstatic
01-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Luc Mbah a Moute (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/luc_mbah_a_moute/index.html)

AFBlue
01-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Wallace:

-great defender
-great rebounder
-great 3 point shooter
-good shotblocker
-championship experience
-HIGH bball IQ

the only thing working against him is his age, but i think the Spurs should at least make a run for him and see what happens. Again, they wont be the highest bidders but if he is serious about winning a couple more championships, San Antonios the place to be.

I wouldn't call him a "great" 3pt shooter...his career average is just below 35% from beyond the arc, and his last three years hover right around that mark.

And I'd say his "lack of focus" or whatever you called it pretty much cancels out the "experience" factor. Dude is just as likely to get T'd up at a critical point in the game as he is to hit a clutch 3.

The only way it should be considered, IMO, is if he's willing to take a one-year deal. Even at that, I could see the experiment failing and his name being on the trade block by January.

Spur-Addict
01-19-2009, 09:39 PM
One can only hope but I don't see him having the interest.

xtremesteven33
01-19-2009, 09:40 PM
I wouldn't call him a "great" 3pt shooter...his career average is just below 35% from beyond the arc, and his last three years hover right around that mark.

And I'd say his "lack of focus" or whatever you called it pretty much cancels out the "experience" factor. Dude is just as likely to get T'd up at a critical point in the game as he is to hit a clutch 3.

The only way it should be considered, IMO, is if he's willing to take a one-year deal. Even at that, I could see the experiment failing and his name being on the trade block by January.

If you dont think Sheed would be a great addition to this team youre crazy.

Hes everything were looking for in a big right now

AFBlue
01-19-2009, 09:47 PM
If you dont think Sheed would be a great addition to this team youre crazy.

Hes everything were looking for in a big right now

I'm the one providing logical and statistically-based responses and I'm the one that's crazy?

'splain that one to me...

DAF86
01-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Wallace should be smart and resign a little bit of money to get the chance of winning more championships. He would be the perfect fit for our team.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-19-2009, 10:00 PM

:tu
Though due to his age and potential, some team has to throw a ridiculous amount towards him and take us out.

Hemotivo
01-19-2009, 10:13 PM
http://www.adventistsat.com/mmatv/Images/2X1SPLITTER.JPG

xtremesteven33
01-19-2009, 10:57 PM
I'm the one providing logical and statistically-based responses and I'm the one that's crazy?

'splain that one to me...

statistically based responses??

you said he wont be a good fit because hes "lazy", and because hes not a "great" 3 point shooter but a good one.

great evidence to back up your claim that he wont be a good fit :rolleyes

m33p0
01-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Sheed!

where do i sign up?

milkyway21
01-19-2009, 11:07 PM
I don't know if it's possible but, Emeka Okafor -the youngest Mr.double-double is a good defender, scorer, and he's young.

m33p0
01-19-2009, 11:12 PM
he'll be expensive, milky. it's realistic to assume sheed can be had for less money. and if the spurs are hoping that splitter will join them in a couple of years, signing someone who plays the same position as tiago for a long-term deal is something they wouldn't want to do.

milkyway21
01-19-2009, 11:21 PM
he'll be expensive, milky. it's realistic to assume sheed can be had for less money. and if the spurs are hoping that splitter will join them in a couple of years, signing someone who plays the same position as tiago for a long-term deal is something they wouldn't want to do.
yeah he's expensive & that's why it's almost impossible for him to play alongside Duncan. He reminds me of the Admiral sometimes.

dws009
01-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Ron Ron!

Ditty
01-19-2009, 11:36 PM
ron ron would be sexy here

espically with gist coming over..artest can teach him some defencse moves

we need some attitude on this team

wallace or artest would be great espically if we win it this year

exstatic
01-19-2009, 11:45 PM
I don't know if it's possible but, Emeka Okafor -the youngest Mr.double-double is a good defender, scorer, and he's young.

You know that he's locked up thru 2014, right?

milkyway21
01-20-2009, 12:13 AM
You know that he's locked up thru 2014, right?
I know he's locked up but not that long. I didn't bother to check.
Too bad.:wakeup

------------------------------------------------
between Ron or Sheed?

I'd go for Rasheed.

ss1986v2
01-20-2009, 01:08 AM
ive loved the idea of getting sheed on the spurs since '03. i just think he has the perfect skill set to pair with duncan:

good face up game.
range out to 3.
one of the best post defenders.
solid on-ball shot blocker.
aggressive mentality.

he has his flaws though. as AFBlue stated, he is almost as likely to get T'd up as he is to hit the clutch shot. he picked up 41 T's back in '00-'01, and followed that up with 27 the next season. since then though, hes averaging about 18 per season. so i guess you could say hes mellowed a bit as hes aged. that leads to another issue: his age. but while hes not a spring chicken, i think most will agree he has enough left in the tank.

he also has a tendency to fall in love with his outside shot, even when its not falling. he also doesnt attack the basket as much as he should (which is one of the reasons why hes been seen as an underachiever most of his career). hes content to simply let fly from 15ft and out most of the time.

all that said though, id still love to have him. as for the feasibility of getting him, thats another story. id figure he would take a paycut from his current salary of ~$14 mil, but id figure hes more likely to take it for the pistons. i dont think they will be in full rebuild next year. i think dumars is going to try to retool on the fly, and id figure sheed might feel some loyalty there. and even if he did choose to look for greener pastures, id bet there are a team or two ahead of the spurs on that list (boston comes to mind...).

but even if we consider that the spurs have sheeds ear, i dont know what we would have to offer. with the current economy, i dont know whats going to happen to the league BRI (i keep hearing attendance is up, but i wonder what teams are doing to put butts in the seats with price slashing, discount packages, ect...). being moderately optimistic, id set the cap at $60 mil with a tax threshold of $73 mil. spurs are on the books for ~$70 mil next season. that doesnt leave much room under the tax line to pick-up sheed (less than the MLE).

now i think obies contract is only partially guaranteed for next year, so that could free up a bit more room, but it would still be hard to outbid some other teams and still stay below the tax line. but the spurs have gone over in the past, and if both sheed and pop were willing, id hope they would make another exception. i wouldnt want anything long term, but if the price was MLE or less, id be very interested.

Chieflion
01-20-2009, 03:46 AM
The MLE for Wallace. I think that will be all the Spurs can spend on him.

Manufan909
01-20-2009, 03:51 AM
I'd love to have Sheed next year, but McDyess this season would've been better, imo.

mrspurs
01-20-2009, 08:22 AM
Id go with Frye. He's about the best chance we have. Having Sheed on the Spurs roster would be like having TO on the Cowboys roster. The both of them are big cry babies. And the both of them will never get a call from a ref. Though Sheeds skills are very good. His brain imo isnt worth the risk.

xtremesteven33
04-07-2009, 12:57 PM
BUMP

Find someway to keep Gooden and sign Wallace for cheap :wow

Lackluster
04-07-2009, 01:13 PM
what are shane battier's contractual obligations?

if we're gonna see even less of ol brucey next year...

Morg1411
04-07-2009, 01:40 PM
No real chance of any of these happening, but what the hell.

* Brook Lopez. The kid's got game, and he's only going to get better.
* John Salmons. Good defender, good scorer (we need offense), knows his role.
* I'll go with Sheed, as well, though I don't think he'll fit in here mentally.

JoshO501
04-07-2009, 01:47 PM
I really like Ramon Sessions

HarlemHeat37
04-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Brook Lopez is impossible..

John Salmons could be a possibility, if the Bulls wanna get rid of his contract..Manu's contract could get Salmons and fillers..

SenorSpur
04-07-2009, 02:26 PM

I love this guy. Loved his potential prior to the draft. In fact, seeing as how the Blazers stole Nic Batum ahead of the Spurs, I was hoping Mbah a Moute would last until the second round so the Spurs could land him. He did get to the second round, but the Bucks took him at #37 - 8 picks ahead of the Spurs. It proved to be a good decision for the Bucks, as he became their starter almost instantly - ahead of the spectacular first round selection - Joe Alexander.

Since Mbah a Moute was a second round pick and is set to become a RFA, the Spurs could have a shot at him. While I don't know the Bucks salary situation, I would expect them to match any offer he receives.

SenorSpur
04-07-2009, 02:29 PM
1. Rasheed Wallace
2. Jamario Moon

I like both suggestions. Fills two IMMEDITATE needs.

WalterBenitez
04-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Odom, Ariza, ....

poop
04-07-2009, 02:37 PM
FUCK THE SHEED IDEA!!!!

how many times do we have to sign aging veterans before we get the point?? we need youth!!!

i love how guys here are already putting sheed and Manu in their ideal sets for next season. heres a reality check-MANU IS DONE. other than an occassional flash, the days of him being a steady contributor are OVER.

so basically if we get what you guys want, by NEXT april we will simply have a hurt ginobili and an old, likely hurt sheed to put next to an even more hobbled duncan.

SPURS50
04-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Would be nice to see Sheed in a Spurs jersey. Someone that can play some defence inside other than Duncan would be nice.

mexicanjunior
04-07-2009, 02:49 PM
I like the Sheed of about 4 years ago. He is slow footed, old and injury prone now...although his 3 point shot can still be deadly.

xtremesteven33
04-07-2009, 02:53 PM
I like the Sheed of about 4 years ago. He is slow footed, old and injury prone now...although his 3 point shot can still be deadly.

Rasheed isnt as young as he used to be but his athletecism isnt what makes him a good player in the NBA. Its his height,defense,rebounding and his post up game that makes him such a valuable asset to a team. None of which requires much athletecism. He can still do those things at a high level especially when hes next to Duncan in the paint.

Just imagining him and Duncan playing next to each other is a grand idea.....:lobt:

2Cleva
04-07-2009, 02:53 PM
If SA plans on running it out until the wheels fall off, Sheed makes sense.

If they want to start the rebuild around TP, then Frye would be the one to go for.

SenorSpur
04-07-2009, 02:58 PM
On second thought, I tired of the Spurs signing players that are running on fumes. I'd like to see them invest in players that have a chance to mold and grow together, as a core group. This is espeically important since the integration process with this team, takes a bit longer than most other teams. All that said, no more old free agents.

HarlemHeat37
04-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Frye is a worse player than Gooden, and he doesn't play notable D..

SenorSpur
04-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Isn't it a bit too soon for the Spurs to have already soured on Gooden? I'd love to see him get a legitimate shot to get more minutes and improve his defense. As I've said before, the Spurs are in no position to be simply casting off talented players who can contribute.

VI_Massive
04-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Isn't it a bit too soon for the Spurs to have already soured on Gooden? I'd love to see him get a legitimate shot to get more minutes and improve his defense. As I've said before, the Spurs are in no position to be simply casting off talented players who can contribute.

by the end of this season though, the staff should have a good idea as to his viability with the team.

HarlemHeat37
04-07-2009, 03:08 PM
I think he'll definitely get a shot to prove himself in the playoffs..I just don't know if Pop will want him on the team next year..

if we do sign Gooden, we're gonna have to hope Ian is healthy, and we'll have to sign a cheap guy that can block shots at a decent rate to come off the bench..

Muser
04-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddddd d

oA7V7p67mow&feature=related

objective
04-07-2009, 03:42 PM
some free agents this summer:

Mike Bibby
ZaZa Pachulia
Flip Murray
Leon Powe (rfa?)
Glen Davis (rfa?)
Sean May (don't think his qo was picked up)
Ben Gordon
Wally Szczerbiak
Jason Kidd
Devean George
Johan Petro (don't know if his qo was picked up)
Allan Iverson
Rasheed Wallace
Walter Hermann
Jason Maxiell (according to hoopshype anyway)
Ron Artest
Rasho
Jarrett Jack ? (don't know about his qo)
Lamar Odom
Trevor Ariza
Chris Mihm
Jamario Moon
Luc Mbah a Moute (according to hoopshype)
Ramon Sessions
Robert Swift
Hedo Turkoglu (if he opts out)
Andre Miller
Grant Hill
Matt Barnes
Channing Frye ? (don't know the qualifying offer)
Shawn Marion
Anthony Parker

------------------

If the Spurs want to keep it 'experienced' (i.e. old), they could split the MLE on Rasheed and Grant Hill.

Morg1411
04-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Brook Lopez is impossible..

John Salmons could be a possibility, if the Bulls wanna get rid of his contract..Manu's contract could get Salmons and fillers..

In reality, I don't think either is possible. Lopez isn't going anywhere, and unless the Bulls re-sign Ben Gordon they're likely to keep Salmons. I know I'm just daydreaming. :rolleyes

Spurs_9_20_21
04-07-2009, 03:47 PM
I guess we could go for him, but isn't there other big men out there?? There's not always him, there's people like.... I don't know... give me ideas besides him. I have nothing against him, I would love to get him... but if we don't get him.......... who else should we go after?????

Muser
04-07-2009, 03:54 PM
I guess we could go for him, but isn't there other big men out there?? There's not always him, there's people like.... I don't know... give me ideas besides him. I have nothing against him, I would love to get him... but if we don't get him.......... who else should we go after?????

Camby.

xtremesteven33
04-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Me personally I wouldnt trade Manu. I think he has one more prime season left in him (barring injuries) after that i can see him as a limited role player.

Sign Rasheed this year and a younger wing player and we can chase the Gold in 2010

Morg1411
04-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Camby.

I worry about Camby's incredible ability to be injured 80% of the time. It feels like he's missed more games this season than Tyson Chandler.

cheney212
04-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Actually i think we should keep Gooden after the season offer him a few year deal he has a good post up game, can score and shoot the mid-range just as well as tim, and he can rebound really well

y2kardell
04-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Hell remember this is the same coach that coached Dennis Rodman............need I say more................Sheed we welcome you with open arms..........:downspin:

ummmmmmmmmmmmmm.

what about 2010, though?

koriwhat
04-07-2009, 04:17 PM
ron ron would be sexy here

espically with gist coming over..artest can teach him some defencse moves

we need some attitude on this team

wallace or artest would be great espically if we win it this year

who's the hot little chica in your av?

Obstructed_View
04-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Yeah, all the Spurs need is another three point shooter.

Myrak
04-07-2009, 04:23 PM
I don't know "who" we should go after, but think of the oldest, washed-up super star in the league and that is who we will pursue.

beachwood
04-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Raja Bell to replace Bowen.

Morg1411
04-07-2009, 04:26 PM

That's....a pretty good idea.:tu

Marcus Bryant
04-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Who should they? You guys have covered it.

Who will they? No one. They're not going to use the MLE.

VI_Massive
04-07-2009, 04:29 PM

and who should we trade to get him?

spursfan1000
04-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Wallace and Duncan would be sweet! I doubt it will happen though.

SanAntonioSpurs23
04-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Raja Bell would be good but he is also on the downfall of his career. The Spurs desperately need some youth but do we really have time to wait for them to develop in 2-3 years? Duncan's window is closing fast so we need to surround him with guys that will give the Spurs the best possibility in winning now. Sheed would be fantastic and if we could get him for a chunk of the MLE that would be great. I also agree that we should keep Gooden for 1 more year if he is willing. Hopefully next year IAN can play and Hill starts to develop more. We also have James Gist that will come over and Malik Hairston.

I think it would be best if we let Finley, Ime, Vaughn, and Oberto go. That would leave us with a line-up of

PG- Parker/Hill/ ???
SG- Mason/Manu (Hopefully) Hairston
SF- Gist/Bowen/ ????
Pf- Duncan/Gooden/ Mahinmi
C- Sheed/ Thomas/ Bonner

We would need some depth at the 3 and at PG but i'm sure they could find some fillers.

Marcus Bryant
04-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Gooden is going to get paid by someone this summer.

ChumpDumper
04-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Gooden is going to get paid by someone this summer.Who has the money and inclination to pay him?

TheSpursFNRule
04-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Is it just me or is Artest staying with the Rockets? Cross that one out
Is it just me or are the Lakers gonna re-sign Ariza? Yes, cross that one out
Do the Spurs have enough to offer Rasheed Wallace? Is the MLE Enough?...Can someone answer me cuz I don't know.

If not I like Matt Barnes, Raja Bell and Chris Birdman Anderson.