PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Stay Lucky, Squeak By Bobcats

duncan228
01-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Spurs stay lucky, squeak by Bobcats (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_stay_lucky_squeak_by_Bobcats.html)
Jeff McDonald

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – The ball rolled out to Boris Diaw, standing basically by himself at the 3-point line with the clock in a race to zero, nothing between him and a run-off-the-court, hug-the-nearest-teammate and kiss-your-mother victory but a successful jumper from 29 feet.

All the Spurs could do was stand and watch and wait for the worst.

After winning more games at the buzzer this season than a kid playing them out in his own imagination, the Spurs figured what goes around was about to come around.

“I was thinking we were finally due,” said Roger Mason Jr., no stranger to game-winning heroics. “The ball looked good. I thought it was good.”

One more time, fortune smiled on the Spurs on Monday afternoon. Diaw’s jumper -- soft and on line and otherwise instructional-video perfect -- clanged just short, and the Spurs escaped Time Warner Cable Arena with an 86-84 victory.

It was the eighth time in 10 games this season the Spurs won a game decided by three points or less, the most such victories in the league.

To get this one, they had to endure a frantic closing sequence in which the Bobcats’ Emeka Okafor blocked Tim Duncan’s potential game-sealer at one end, then Duncan blocked Raymond Felton on a drive at the other.

That almost ended up being the best thing to happen to Charlotte.

Duncan couldn’t have set Diaw up better if he were feeding him in a 3-point drill.

“I’m thinking I should have hit it a little softer than I did, instead of all the way to the 3-point line,” Duncan said. “I was thinking the worst, honestly, when the ball was rolling out there.”

So much for the power of positive thinking.

Thanks in part to Diaw’s game-winner that wasn’t, the Spurs (27-13) closed their three-game road trip on a two-game winning streak, after opening it with a 22-point loss at Philadelphia.

Duncan finished with 17 points and 11 rebounds to help the Spurs snap a three-game winning streak for Charlotte (16-25). Tony Parker added 13 points and 10 assists.

Raja Bell, a Phoenix transplant, had 25 points for the Bobcats, including an 11-of-11 effort from the foul line. It was his finest outing since coming to Charlotte in a Dec. 10 trade that also brought Diaw.

The Spurs survived Bell’s Bobcat breakout, as well as another tough day at the 3-point stripe. Formerly the league’s leading long-range team, the Spurs were 5-of-21 from beyond the arc Monday, making them 19 of 65 on the trip.

The Spurs salvaged the game with a second-straight sterling defensive effort, holding the Bobcats to 36.3 percent shooting and getting a series critical stops in the fourth quarter. The Spurs are 6-0 when keeping foes below 40 percent.

“Maybe getting our butts kicked in Philly made (the players) realize we did suck on defense,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “That’s got to be our focus, because we’re going nowhere without defense.”

As the game crept down to the wire, with the Spurs overcoming a nine-point deficit to take a five-point lead in the fourth quarter on back-to-back Manu Ginobili 3-pointers, Bell began having Phoenix flashbacks.

“It felt a little like a Spurs-Suns game,” Bell said, recalling a memory bank full of high-drama playoff meetings. “Not as high scoring, but it had kind of the same feel.”

Popovich wouldn’t have minded returning Bell to Phoenix, at least for the afternoon. If Bell could have taken Diaw with him, all the better.

Diaw finished with 16 points and 13 rebounds. With time winding down, he had a chance to make his day even sweeter.

Duncan swatted the ball to Diaw. The shot went up. All eyes followed it.

All that was left for the Spurs to do was to stand, and watch, and pray their luck hadn’t just run out.

“If that shot would have gone in, there was nothing we can say about it,” Ginobili said. “We’ve won many games like that. Today, we got lucky again.”

KaiRMD1
01-19-2009, 07:39 PM
I didn't realize Diop was on Charlotte. I wonder why the Spurs don't try for him. He's a big that can block, rebound and defend.

Bender
01-19-2009, 07:46 PM
nice, I was looking forward to coming home from work and watching the spurs game....

daytime game.... already over

nice of them to schedule games while people are at work.

:bang

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Jeff McDonald

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – The ball rolled out to Boris Diaw, standing basically by himself at the 3-point line with the clock in a race to zero, nothing between him and a run-off-the-court, hug-the-nearest-teammate and kiss-your-mother victory but a successful jumper from 29 feet.

I didn't see the game. Was Diaw "at" the three point line or 5'3" behind it?

Should an NBA beat writer know the distance to the 3-point line?

Question.

:cooldevil

ClingingMars
01-19-2009, 07:54 PM

Question.

:lmao

mcFail at it again

-Mars

superbigtime
01-19-2009, 08:03 PM
I didn't realize Diop was on Charlotte. I wonder why the Spurs don't try for him. He's a big that can block, rebound and defend.

Oh sure, Cuban would just love to help us out a little.

Rogue
01-19-2009, 08:05 PM
the rockets also took use of their luck and won a 2pt game over denver.

spursfaninla
01-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Diaw is a good player, but his contract is too heavy for what we are looking for.

AFBlue
01-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Diaw is a good player, but his contract is too heavy for what we are looking for.

The guy said Diop, not Diaw.

And if I had to put odds on it, I'd say Diaw has a very legitimate shot at being a Spur in the next couple seasons. He's a smart combo forward with good skills and he's best friends with Tony Parker, who will have to be retained if the Spurs want any shot at staying relevant out past 2010.

If the Spurs sign Manu to an extension, I think it's even more likely the Spurs go the trade route, versus trying to play the FA market in 2010. Only time will tell...but I wouldn't count out Diaw as a Spur, despite his contract.

m33p0
01-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Time Warner Cable Arena
that's a mouthful for an arena name.

milkyway21
01-19-2009, 11:34 PM
-Duncan's shot was blocked by Emeka Okafor with 10 seconds left.

-Tim Duncan blocked Raymond Felton's shot to a Spurs win 86-84 over the Bobcats.

this is the same Felton who beats the buzzer with his last-minute jumper in a win over the Pistons 80-78, right? :wow:

thanks for that TD block.

what a great defensive play.

PuttPutt
01-20-2009, 12:11 AM

Question.

He was right at the line & it was a pretty good look too. He just missed, Spurs got lucky.

mrspurs
01-20-2009, 08:35 AM
He was right at the line & it was a pretty good look too. He just missed, Spurs got lucky.

Lucky again. But a little luck never hurt anyone.

urunobili
01-20-2009, 08:38 AM

Because of the 6 mill a year he makes... and he is a one dimensional player... I'd rather have Nazr back...

wildbill2u
01-20-2009, 09:27 AM

Question.

Yahoo sports also had Diaw's three at 29 feet. If so, that's a hail Mary shot.

temujin
01-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Luck won't win you 8 close games out of 10.
No way.

This guy knows little about basketball.

In a league of Chalottes, Spurs win 8 out of 10.

In a league of Bostons, they win 5 out of 10.

EricB
01-20-2009, 01:38 PM

Because he played for a team within the division, and rival....

quentin_compson
01-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Yahoo sports also had Diaw's three at 29 feet. If so, that's a hail Mary shot.

Well, to me it looked like he was close enough to the three point line to have a reasonable chance of making that shot.