PDA

View Full Version : UFC 94: St-Pierre vs. Penn 2 Fight Thread!!

dbreiden83080
01-19-2009, 07:45 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/72/94poster.jpg

http://video.ufc.tv/Artwork/ufc94_poster_ver2.jpg

And Here we GOOOOO!!!!

As the resident GSP Nut-hugger around here, man this is a big one for me. Love GSP to win this fight for sure, rest of the card is really just okay. Hopefully Machida doesn't stink out the joint in the co-main event.. Fitch on the undercard is just plain wrong...

Main Card

Welterweight Championship bout: Georges St-Pierre vs. B.J. Penn (Late stoppage or decision win for GSP!!)
Light Heavyweight bout: Lyoto Machida vs. Thiago Silva (Boring 3 rd decision for Lyoto, he's great at risking little and still winning)
Light Heavyweight bout: Stephan Bonnar vs. Jon Jones
Welterweight bout: Karo Parisyan vs. Dong Hyun Kim
Lightweight bout: Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida

Preliminary Card

Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch vs. Akihiro Gono :nope (BOOO UFC)

Lightweight bout: Thiago Tavares vs. Manvel Gamburyan
Welterweight bout: John Howard vs. Chris Wilson
Heavyweight bout: Jake O'Brien vs. Christian Wellisch
Welterweight bout: Matt Arroyo vs. Scott Batt

djohn14
01-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Welterweight Championship bout: Georges St-Pierre vs. B.J. Penn-I just feel GSP is the more complete fighter..I cant wait though.

Light Heavyweight bout: Lyoto Machida vs. Thiago Silva-This fight wont go to a decision, as Silva will be too aggrsive. Machida will have to earn this one..AND EVAN..im not counting him out by any means.

Light Heavyweight bout: Stephan Bonnar vs. Jon Jones-I know this will not be the popular voter...but Jon Jones is going to be great one day...how far off this day is remains to be seen.

Welterweight bout: Karo Parisyan vs. Dong Hyun Kim-I feel Karo is better...DHK can scrap though.

Lightweight bout: Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida-This will be good though!!!

Preliminary Card

Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch vs. Akihiro Gono-Put this over Karo-DHK...
Lightweight bout: Thiago Tavares vs. Manvel Gamburyan
Welterweight bout: John Howard vs. Chris Wilson
Heavyweight bout: Jake O'Brien vs. Christian Wellisch
Welterweight bout: Matt Arroyo vs. Scott Batt

dbreiden83080
01-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Hey Djohn next card Cain is on, you are required to start the fight thread, DEAL?? :lol

djohn14
01-19-2009, 08:27 PM
For sure haha!

oligarchy
01-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Georges St-Pierre vs. B.J. Penn
Lyoto Machida vs. Thiago Silva
Stephan Bonnar vs. Jon Jones
Karo Parisyan vs. Dong Hyun Kim
Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida

Prelim

Jon Fitch vs. Akihiro Gono
Thiago Tavares vs. Manvel Gamburyan
John Howard vs. Chris Wilson
Jake O'Brien vs. Christian Wellisch
Matt Arroyo vs. Scott Batt

dbreiden83080
01-19-2009, 08:53 PM
http://94.ufc.com/

Official site is up, pretty good..

dbreiden83080
01-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Light Heavyweight bout: Lyoto Machida vs. Thiago Silva-This fight wont go to a decision, as Silva will be too aggrsive. Machida will have to earn this one..AND EVAN..im not counting him out by any means.

The thing about Machida is he makes guys look bad that want to get in his face and make him fight. He throws so many faints, in and out, tons and tons of foot-work, lots of leg kicks to keep the distance.. He's got good takedown defense, is slippery as all hell. He is basically just tough to chase down and with only 3 rds to do it, it is really really hard..

djohn14
01-20-2009, 04:15 PM
The thing about Machida is he makes guys look bad that want to get in his face and make him fight. He throws so many faints, in and out, tons and tons of foot-work, lots of leg kicks to keep the distance.. He's got good takedown defense, is slippery as all hell. He is basically just tough to chase down and with only 3 rds to do it, it is really really hard..

Yep...I just feel Thiago will chase Machida and will attempt to KO him. So either that will happen or Machida will KO Thiago. IMO!

desflood
01-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Good interview with Karo - sounds like he's wised up a little:

Karo Parisyan: ‘The Heat’ Letting a Cooler Head Prevai
lBy Mike Russell

Although the voice on the other end of the phone is unmistakably that of Karo “The Heat” Parisyan, the calmness in his demeanor makes me doubt for a moment whether I have dialed the correct number.

“You caught me at a terrible time, bro. I’m in line at the DMV. I’ll call you back in 15 minutes.”

True to his word, my phone rings 13 minutes later. My greeting is met with an apology and an explanation for the delay in our conversation.

“Sorry about that. My strength and conditioning coach sent me out on two runs yesterday and I lost my wallet somewhere,” explains Parisyan. “I just spent the morning replacing all of my ID and stuff. It sucks, but what can you do?”

It quickly becomes clear that this Parisyan is different than his previous version, as well known for his competitive tenacity in the Octagon as he was for his proclivity for wearing his heart on his sleeve outside of it. Diagnosed with a panic disorder 14 months ago, the 26-year-old surprisingly appears to be more relaxed and composed than ever.
Shrugging off the observation that he seems mellower now, Karo admits that although he didn’t think so when he was first handed the diagnosis for his affliction, he says his change in bearing was a necessary one. He credits self-realization and increased maturity for instituting the remarkable transformation.

“I try to put things into perspective and I don’t let every little thing get to me any more. I was prescribed medication for the panic attacks but I haven’t taken it,” he says. “I battled through it, kept my mind strong and prayed a lot. [The panic attacks] are never going to leave me, I just had to figure out what brings them on try to avoid the things that trigger them.”

Besides altering his cognitive outlook on life, Parisyan has set the wheels in motion towards reaching his goal of one day becoming a world champion. In addition to hiring a full-time strength and conditioning coach near his home in Hollywood, California he has also joined Greg Jackson’s Albuquerque, New Mexico-based fight team. Optimistic that these steps will contribute to garnering him the title shot that has eluded him thus far in his career, Karo is confident he will no longer be accused of resting on his laurels in terms of training.

“Between training for my last fight and training for this fight, my energy level and my strength are like night and day different. I’ve gotten stronger and my conditioning is so much better. I’m doing everything possible now to ensure that I give the best performance I can. I’m still young and I haven’t shown one tenth of what I’m capable of,” Parisyan says. “It seems like I’ve been chasing a title fight forever and I want to get there. I might have to wait a while since Georges has the belt now. I talked to him a few months on the phone and we’re both in agreement that we don’t want to fight each other since we’re friends and on the same team so we’ll see where I go from here.”

First things first, the Armenian-born judoka will have to get past undefeated 170-pound Korean standout Dong Hyun Kim when the pair square off at UFC 94: St-Pierre vs. Penn 2 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on January 31. The bout will mark Karo’s first fight back since losing to Thiago Alves at UFC Fight Night 13 last April. He was slated to face Yoshiyuki Yoshida at UFC 88: Breakthrough in September but was forced to withdraw from the bout after developing sciatica prior to the weigh-ins the night before the event.

The backlash following the announcement that he had pulled out of the Yoshida bout left Karo taken aback. Some fans and media outlets hypothesized that he wasn’t injured at all and that he simply did not make weight, prompting him to make up the injury to save face. Parisyan calls the claim preposterous and said it was the first time in his career he had pulled out of a fight, having fought injured on several occasions in the past.

“People can be cruel. You can put your entire life into one fight and you can go train and sacrifice so many things in your life to prepare for it and then you get a freak injury and can’t fight and the people who claim to be fans or journalists turn on you,” explains Karo. "I have fought so many times with injuries. If it had happened like ten days out from the fight, I would have been able to do it. Coming off a loss and going up against a fellow judoka like Yoshida, I wanted to be healthy so I could perform at my best. I was laid up for days recuperating and was on crutches – I couldn’t even move I was in such pain. I was literally in tears over having to cancel that fight.”

Fully recovered from the injury, Karo now faces the difficult task of erasing the disappointing loss to Alves from the minds of UFC fans. He hopes the fresh start of the New Year, combined with his new attitude and newly signed 8-fight contract, will prove to be a winning formula to help quickly get him back in the title picture.

“I love my fans and I have a lot of them. I have a lot of people who don’t like me as well. I can’t please everyone. The only thing I can do is try to change their minds about me and make them into fans with my next performance,” Parysian says. “People only remember you for your last fight. I lost my last fight and haven’t fought in almost nine months so I’m going to have to do something to make their jaws drop.”

In spite of all of the trials and tribulations the past year has presented and the changes he has made, the one thing that has remained steadfast is Parisyan’s high level of self-confidence.

Heading into the fight against Kim, an opponent who he says has yet to prove himself against a legitimate contender, “The Heat” predicts that he will produce a highlight reel ending to his fellow judoka’s 12-fight unbeaten streak.

“Records can be deceiving. You can have 50 wins and they can all be against tomato cans. The guys that Dong Hyun Kim has beaten aren’t even close to my level. I think he’s going to get a big wake-up call when he fights me,” asserts Parisyan. “He’s going to fight a guy who is stronger than he is, has better hands than he does, better conditioning, better grappling and better judo. I’m going to show people things they haven’t seen before. I’m back, I’m healthy and I’m motivated and I don’t think anyone is going to be able to stop me.”

Some might refer to him as being “cocky” or “conceited” but Parisyan prefers the term “confident”, explaining that he just tells it like it is and that attitude is a big part of the game in the sport of MMA. At home with his family and friends, he claims that he is a much different person than people see and hear in interviews on TV and the radio. Though he says his family recognizes his accomplishments and the newfound celebrity status being a UFC fighter has provided, Karo points out that they refuse to treat him any differently in spite of it.

“I take care of my family financially and they appreciate it but they still treat me the same. Old ladies in the street recognize me and it blows me away. I go home and tell my dad and he says ‘That’s great!’, then he tells me to put on a coat before I go back out and asks me where I’m going and when I’m coming home.”

Rip-Hamilton32
01-20-2009, 09:51 PM
gotta take BJ even though i think GSP is the better fighter

SAtoDallas
01-21-2009, 11:49 AM
This is gonna be must see TV!

dbreiden83080
01-21-2009, 12:11 PM
gotta take BJ even though i think GSP is the better fighter

Then why take BJ? Also should be noted while GSP has been dominating at 170 since the first fight, Penn hasn't fought there in like 3 years, lost to Hughes last time he did..

desflood
01-21-2009, 12:23 PM
should be noted while GSP has been dominating at 170 since the first fight, Penn hasn't fought there in like 3 years, lost to Hughes last time he did..
Good point. One should also consider that since then GSP has been training with Jackson's camp, which he wasn't at that time. He's only getting better.

desflood
01-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida

dbreiden83080
01-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Good point. One should also consider that since then GSP has been training with Jackson's camp, which he wasn't at that time. He's only getting better.

I mean i know Penn was winning that fight with Hughes before he gassed out or got hurt, whatever the excuse was there.. But i tell ya one thing GSP won't be doing in this fight, that's gas out. He pounded on Fitch for 25 min and wasn't tired at all..

dbreiden83080
01-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida

Not 100% sure on this one either..

LEONARD
01-21-2009, 01:21 PM
BJ Penn is pissed about the way he was portrayed on the 1st episode of UFC Primetime, so he cut-off taping…hmmmm

http://mmajunkie.com/news/13781/trouble-in-paradise-b-j-penn-cuts-short-ufc-primetime-taping.mma

dbreiden83080
01-21-2009, 01:27 PM
^^ the Fight is in 10 days, no need for Penn to be all pissy now about the countdown show. He talked shit, trained some and took a little vacation. I don't see where he was misrepresented. "He said he needed to hit the re-set button" his words 100%

LEONARD
01-21-2009, 01:41 PM
I think the issue is that what they were doing was nothing new for the way they prepare him, but Dana made it out to be like he wasn't training hard...

ATRAIN
01-21-2009, 01:41 PM
hahah that last pick is for you John
Damn I hate picking Karo!!!
Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida

djohn14
01-21-2009, 04:17 PM
hahah that last pick is for you John
Damn I hate picking Karo!!!
Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida

Haha thanks!!!

tlongII
01-21-2009, 06:10 PM
BJ is a more skilled fighter, but GSP will probably win due to his size advantage. Sucks cause he is too French for my taste.

dbreiden83080
01-21-2009, 07:40 PM
BJ is a more skilled fighter

I don't know if you break it down

Striking is about even, Penn has better hands i'd say but GSP uses a lot of kicks, Penn doesn't..

JJ you give it to Penn but GSP is no slouch there

Wrestling is GSP all day, he is the best wrestler there is in the UFC, pd for pd

Strength, athleticism, overall conditioning go to GSP also..

dbreiden83080
01-22-2009, 04:14 PM
http://www.montrealgazette.com/Sports/Pierre+faces+ultimate+challenge/1204839/story.html

St-Pierre faces ultimate challenge

http://media.canada.com/idl/mtgz/20080327/113729-36974.jpg

By STEPHANIE MYLES,
The Gazette
January 22, 2009

"Georges St-Pierre said his Jan. 31 welterweight title defence against B.J. Penn in Las Vegas, the headline fight of UFC 94, will be the biggest fight of his career.

Then again, he says that before every fight.

But this time, it could be true.

"The more my career goes on, the bigger my fights are getting, and the bigger the sport is getting," the 27-year-old said yesterday after a training session at the Tristar Martial Arts Centre in Snowdon. "It's probably the biggest in the history of the UFC, in terms of sales and pay-per-view buys, so a lot of pressure."

Since St-Pierre won back his title against Matt Serra before a delirious crowd at a jam-packed Bell Centre last April, he successfully defended it once, against Jon Fitch at UFC 87.

There's no doubt he's getting more attention. The media contingent yesterday was easily twice the size of the one that preceded his fight against Fitch in August.

UFC 94 will be the re-defence, against an opponent he met nearly three years ago and defeated in a somewhat controversial split decision.

The event, which will be held at the MGM Grand Arena Garden, is sold out.

Penn, a free-spirited sort from Hawaii who holds the UFC's lightweight title fighting at 155 pounds, has already begun to flap his gums.

The UFC spent $1.7 million on a three-episode arc airing on Spike TV that follows the fighters through their preparations - much like the very successful series featuring boxer Oscar De La Hoya that aired on HBO before his last two bouts.

Penn has predicted - he later said he was speaking figuratively, not literally - he will "kill" St-Pierre. Worse than that, in St-Pierre's eyes, he called the native of St. Isidore a "quitter."

That got a reaction.

"I don't speak poorly of my opponents. I'm always respectful. I'll let my fists do the talking," said St-Pierre, who then proceeded to, if not strictly trash-talk, slyly put down his opponent by praising himself.

"I don't come from a rich background, like he does. There was a time in university that I had three jobs at once. So my path was honourable," St-Pierre said. "I wasn't the 'big star' when I got to UFC. I'm not the new rising star. It took me five years to get there. ... I am a worthy world champion."

No doubt the two are apples and oranges outside the octagon. Penn has had serious legal issues with the UFC, even leaving its stable once before returning. He also has just finished a year's probation related to a May 2005 arrest outside a Honolulu club, where he allegedly struck a police officer.

St-Pierre, by contrast, is almost too good to be true, a model citizen who works hard to create a role-model image for himself and, in the process, tries to elevate the opinion most outsiders have of mixed martial arts.

"I came around in the UFC at the right time, so I'm going to take advantage of it. I'm privileged to be able to ride this wave," he said. "That's why it's important for me to have a good image, to not speak like a bum."

St-Pierre said he's a much better fighter than he was the first time he met Penn.

"If the Georges St-Pierre of today would fight the Georges St-Pierre who fought Penn nearly three years ago, he'd win in the first round."

But he's fully aware of Penn's strengths. "He has worked on his physical conditioning and he has worked on his boxing. He has quick hands, and very quick reaction time," St-Pierre said. "I want to take the lead in the fight, and fight against his weaknesses."

The fighter also said that his training camp was ideal. With each camp, he has learned from the ones before. He has been training at least five days a week - two and sometimes three sessions a day - and pronounced himself in the best shape of his life.

"The confidence of a fighter comes from how he prepares himself. I've done all my homework," St-Pierre said. "This time, I want to perform better than I did the last time.

"I don't want a decision. I want to take him out - otherwise I won't be happy."[/B]

Evan
01-23-2009, 07:15 PM

hah...I think y'all misunderstand my thoughts on Machida...I'm not a die hard fan of his I just really appreciate his skill set. I really like what he does but if he loses I won't blink an eye. Could he be more aggressive? Of course! And that cursed word "elusive" is very misunderstood...you have two ways to defend a strike...check it or move and more people would move if they could.

I don't think most people on forums/sites/blogs appreciate what he does enough so I stick up for him, just like I do with Dana, strikeforce and MFC. I'm not saying you guys...everyone here is pretty fair and reasonable on their points even if I don't agree all the time.

djohn14
01-24-2009, 12:51 PM
This is why GSP is going to win...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV4yGT_2-Rk&feature=related

ATRAIN
01-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Can I really like the fight card on this one.

2centsworth
01-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Is this going to break the Liddell vs Tito PPV mark? This certainly is a can't miss fight for me.

btw, clay guida is gonna stomp Nate.

LEONARD
01-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Dana’s video blog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK1cJRX_0JM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4TDau7ZFXk

Evan
01-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Learn how to post youtube^^^^

One of the best ways to measure effective defense and dominance is to look at the number of strikes a fighter absorbs. Because of variable fight lengths, the easiest way to consistently calculate this is to figure the number of strikes absorbed divided by the number of minutes fought. That gives you the number of strikes absorbed per minute of fighting, which we abbreviate as SApM. Here are some SApM figures for the five current UFC champions:

Anderson Silva: 0.71 SApM
Georges St. Pierre: 1.01 SApM
BJ Penn: 1.23 SApM
Rashad Evans: 1.39 SApM
Frank Mir: 2.7 SApM

Let's wrap things up with two more fighters' numbers:

Fedor Emelianenko: 0.59 SApM
Lyoto Machida: 0.64 SApM

Both Fedor and Machida have proven harder to hit than all of the UFC's champions. And it's not like there is a shortage of data on any of these guys. These numbers are from their entire careers. Does it mean Fedor and Machida are better than the other fighters? Not necessarily...this is just one subset of their entire fighting profile. But it is interesting to note that Fedor and Machida come in #1 and #2 in terms of the hardest guys to hit in MMA history.

tlongII
01-27-2009, 06:22 PM
Dammit! I really want to see this card, but the Blazers are playing Utah at the same time! What to do? What to do?

polandprzem
01-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Hey I work in th city (town) where cars numbers (licence) are all starting with GSP

So when I'm going to work I smirk to myself and says . Damn GSP all over the place again!

:D

So this is what I wanted to say :)

polandprzem
01-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Welterweight Championship bout: Georges St-Pierre vs. B.J. Penn
Light Heavyweight bout: Lyoto Machidavs. Thiago Silva
Light Heavyweight bout: Stephan Bonnar vs. Jon Jones
Welterweight bout: Karo Parisyan vs. Dong Hyun Kim
Lightweight bout: Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida

and fitch

Evan
01-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Can I really like the fight card on this one.

Fun sports we have

Evan
01-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Is this going to break the Liddell vs Tito PPV mark?

In this economy, no but it will do incredible.

dallaskd
01-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida

Preliminary Card

John Howard vs. Chris Wilson
Jake O'Brien vs. Christian Wellisch
Matt Arroyo vs. Dan Cramer

dallaskd
01-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Remember it is now Cramer on the card vs Arroyo.

tlongII
01-28-2009, 07:18 PM
I've decided to watch the UFC at the local sports bar rather than go to the game. I just can't miss this one! I think Penn is going to win too.

dallaskd
01-28-2009, 09:42 PM
I've decided to watch the UFC at the local sports bar rather than go to the game. I just can't miss this one! I think Penn is going to win too.

Penn=:king:king

GSP=:whine

LEONARD
01-29-2009, 09:16 AM
BJ doesn't care much for GSP's head trainer... :lmao

2centsworth
01-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida

i agree with everything except Jon Jones over Bonnar. Also, Tlong going for B.J. Penn is giving me second thoughts, but I told myself that Tlong can't always be wrong, can he?

tlongII
01-29-2009, 03:12 PM
i agree with everything except Jon Jones over Bonnar. Also, Tlong going for B.J. Penn is giving me second thoughts, but I told myself that Tlong can't always be wrong, can he?

When have I ever been wrong about an MMA event?

LEONARD
01-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Do you make picks?

You're wrong about Shaq and BJ... :lol

djohn14
01-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Why dont you guys just copy off me haha just kidding!

LEONARD
01-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Georges St-Pierre vs. B.J. Penn - but pulling for BJ
Lyoto Machida vs. Thiago Silva - but pulling for Silva
Stephan Bonnar vs. Jon Jones - upset!
Karo Parisyan vs. Dong Hyun Kim - upset!
Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida

Evan
01-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Georges St-Pierre vs. B.J. Penn -
Lyoto Machida vs. Thiago Silva -
Stephan Bonnar vs. Jon Jones -
Karo Parisyan vs. Dong Hyun Kim - This will be a thrashing
[B]Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida

sa_butta
01-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida

djohn14
01-30-2009, 07:11 PM
Georges St-Pierre vs. B.J. Penn - but pulling for BJ
Lyoto Machida vs. Thiago Silva - but pulling for Silva
Stephan Bonnar vs. Jon Jones - upset!
Karo Parisyan vs. Dong Hyun Kim - upset!
Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida

Leonard!!! We are both going with Jonsey!...good choice!

Evan
01-30-2009, 07:14 PM
he Associated Press reports

LAS VEGAS—The Ultimate Fighting Championship has signed deals with two of its top fighters to give them signature gyms in a chain of fitness clubs planned by the mixed martial arts league.

UFC President Dana White said Thursday that the gyms will be named for B.J. Penn and Georges St-Pierre, scheduled to fight Saturday in Las Vegas for the UFC welterweight title.

White says the fighters will be paid royalties from the gyms whether they are fighting or not.

Mark Mastrov, a former 24 Hour Fitness CEO working to open the new clubs, says the fighters’ gyms will be open by the end of the year in Penn’s native Hawaii and St-Pierre’s hometown of Montreal.

dallaskd
01-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Karo will beat Kim. Matt Brown kicked Kim's ass.

dallaskd
01-30-2009, 08:50 PM
-Georges St. Pierre (170) vs. B.J. Penn (168)

-Lyoto Machida (206) vs. Thiago Silva (206)

-Karo Parisyan (170) vs. Dong Hyun Kim (171)

-Nathan Diaz (156) vs. Clay Guida (156)

-Stephan Bonnar (206) vs. Jon Jones (206)

UFC 94 Preliminary Card Bouts:

-Jon Fitch (171) vs. Akihiro Gono (171)

-Manny Gamburyan (155) vs. Thiago Tavares (155)

-Chris Wilson (170) vs. John Howard (171)

-Jake O'Brien (205) vs. Christian Wellisch (206)

-Matt Arroyo (171) vs. Dan Cramer (171)

Evan
01-30-2009, 08:58 PM
weird how just about everyone pushed the max division numbers....must be the scale?

Evan
01-30-2009, 10:46 PM
There are many words that have been used to describe Lyoto Machida over the course of the thirty year old Brazilians mixed martial arts career. Words like elusive, evasive, unorthodox, slippery and I have even heard him being described as an artist of sorts. A master technician, a professor in the cage. He just may be all of those things.

On the flip side of that coin there are others that would be quick to describe Machida as overly defensive, boring, excessively conservative and downright hard to watch. Quite frankly there are many that would compare watching Machida fight to watching paint dry. I will freely admit that I stand firmly on this side of the coin for now.

Machida is the kind of fighter that just forces you to love or hate the guy. His countering style of fighting has worked wonders for him up until this point in his career, enabling him to compile an extremely impressive record of 13-0 against some very tough opposition. I guess that’s my main problem with Machida. His opposition. His elusive, awkward style has given everyone that has stepped up to Machida absolute fits but as the saying goes and has gone, styles make fights. I anticipate that Silva’s style will make this fight and finally force the crafty karate master to really, truly dig down and fight.

I was blown away by the critical acclaim that Machida received upon his decision victory over a long unimpressive Tito Ortiz. Does beating Tito Ortiz prove that you are among the top dogs in the UFC’s light heavyweight division? I should hope not. Of course the win over Ortiz wasn’t Machida’s first barbecue, he had beaten big names before, but how relevant were those wins? Lets take a really quick look at some of the key wins over the course of the career of the man they call “The Dragon” through the eyes of a skeptic.

Let’s start from the bottom and work our way up.......................................

(for the rest)

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2009/01/30/brady-finally-machida-will-be-forced-to-fight/

djohn14
01-31-2009, 08:25 AM
Lets go Silva!!!!!!!...

Evan
01-31-2009, 09:44 AM
(This chart shows the) number of takedowns landed divided by the number attempted. This is a simple ratio of an opponents' takedown success rate. For comparison, we will again first look at the current UFC champions' numbers:

Georges St. Pierre: 15%
BJ Penn: 36%
Rashad Evans: 38%
Anderson Silva: 41%
Frank Mir: 80%*

The first four champions are above-average in their takedown defense, with GSP standing head-and-shoulders above the rest.

So where does Machida come in? Opponents have landed just 8 of 41 career takedown attempts against Machida, a success rate of just 19.5%. That is not much worse than St. Pierre, whose takedown defense is perhaps the best in MMA history. And it's actually better than Fedor's number, which stands at 22%.

[*Note that almost no one tries to take down Frank Mir, so that stat doesn't really mean anything.]

The 10-point must system produces nine measurements for each fight that goes to a decision (three rounds each for three judges). So in five decisions, there have been 45 measured rounds upon which judges have given their verdict.

Machida's record on that scale is 44-1. In all of his UFC fights (and assuming a win in the first round against Sokoudjou), Machida has not lost a single round on a single judge's scorecard. He has only won by scores of 30-27. You have to go back more than two years to find a round in which a judge said he lost. In his WFA fight against Vernon White, one of the judges called the bout 29-28. The other two still called it 30-27.

*via BE

Evan
01-31-2009, 09:45 AM
http://assets.sbnation.com/imported_assets/98483/16_fitchgonoufc94w_medium.jpg

http://assets.sbnation.com/imported_assets/98485/17_fitchgonoufc94w_medium.jpg

LEONARD
01-31-2009, 09:47 AM
Gotta love Gono! He's gonna get smoked though...

Is Jon Jones going to make a statement tonight?
http://photos.mmaweekly.com/gallery/Ultimate%20Fighting%20Championship%20-%20UFC/UFC_94/weigh/19_JonJonesUFC94w.jpg

Diaz is a punk, but I like him for some reason
http://photos.mmaweekly.com/gallery/Ultimate%20Fighting%20Championship%20-%20UFC/UFC_94/weigh/24_GuidaDiazUFC94w.jpg

Stun Gun...can he be the Japanese star in the US? Huge test for him...can't wait for this one!
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/013009ufc/1060.jpg

Will Karo give Kim his first loss? I don't think so.
http://photos.mmaweekly.com/gallery/Ultimate%20Fighting%20Championship%20-%20UFC/UFC_94/weigh/27_ParisyanHyunKimUFC94w.jpg

Gonna be a great fight...
http://photos.mmaweekly.com/gallery/Ultimate%20Fighting%20Championship%20-%20UFC/UFC_94/weigh/30_MachidaSilvaUFC94weigh.jpg

BJ at 168 lbs
http://photos.mmaweekly.com/gallery/Ultimate%20Fighting%20Championship%20-%20UFC/UFC_94/weigh/31_BJPennUFC94w.jpg

GSP at 170
http://photos.mmaweekly.com/gallery/Ultimate%20Fighting%20Championship%20-%20UFC/UFC_94/weigh/32_GeorgesStPierreUFC94w.jpg

Can't wait!!
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/013009ufc/1083.jpg

Evan
01-31-2009, 09:50 AM
Seriously fascinating match-ups.

Leo...Holla if your plans fall through and come to my place tonight. Send me a text by 2'ish?

I'm car shopping again today......

*inserts cup*

LEONARD
01-31-2009, 09:53 AM
lol...will do! Good luck and don't get too beat down...

Evan
01-31-2009, 09:57 AM
lol...will do! Good luck and don't get too beat down...

Thank ya.

My stepmom has a aunt who works at the Toyota corporate office in California so I am waiting on some official document to appear in my email that gives me a "toyota workers and family discount"...freaking checking email every 5 minutes. Dealership opens in 5 minutes and I ready to get to work.

djohn14
01-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Leonard!!!! Yes Jon Jones will make a statement tonight!!!

Evan
01-31-2009, 10:44 AM
I'd like to see more brothers get into MMA. I want this sport to be as versatile as possible. There is way too many white over tattooed California flat brimmed hat wearing douche bags.

djohn14
01-31-2009, 10:52 AM
What if these brothers are white over tattooed California flat brimmed hat wearing douche bags. Would you take it, or are you picky?

cornbread
01-31-2009, 12:01 PM
Penn
Machida
Karo
Bonnar
Diaz

IX_Equilibrium
01-31-2009, 12:42 PM
Penn is going down tonight.

LEONARD
01-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Penn is going down tonight.

A rare IX_E appearance!! :hat

Tres_Till_it_MHz
01-31-2009, 03:42 PM
Man what a great card, esp looking forward to the Silva and Diaz fights.

How is Buffalo Wild Wings for a watching venue? Any other places to watch locally are much appreciated.

Check this GSP utube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtcYUfgz8j8

LEONARD
01-31-2009, 04:28 PM
Man what a great card, esp looking forward to the Silva and Diaz fights.

How is Buffalo Wild Wings for a watching venue? Any other places to watch locally are much appreciated.

Check this GSP utube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtcYUfgz8j8

I've never watched in public...don't know if I could stomach the idiocy. But for this, I would get there REALLY early if you want a table...

TX San Antonio All Stars 210 593-0576
TX San Antonio Buffalo Wild Wings @ DeZaVala 210 694-9464
TX San Antonio Buffalo Wild Wings @ San Antonio (Legacy) 210 545-3464
TX San Antonio Buffalo Wild Wings @ San Antonio (Loop 410) 210 269-9967
TX San Antonio Buffalo Wild Wings @ San Antonio (Military) 210 269-9967
TX San Antonio Champps @ San Antonio 210 561-2833
TX San Antonio Fast Eddies Billiards @ San Antonio (Babcock) 210 692-1500
TX San Antonio Fast Eddies Billiards @ San Antonio (Embassy) 210 545-1086
TX San Antonio Firehouse Pub & Grill 210 946-9600
TX San Antonio Fox & Hound @ San Antonio 210 696-1356
TX San Antonio Hooters @ Wurzbach ( SA North) 210 558 9464
TX San Antonio Indigo Joes @ San Antonio 210 495-2563
TX San Antonio Lion & Rose (Alamo Heights) 210 822-7673
TX San Antonio Mulligans Bar 210 277 1800
TX San Antonio Nice Rack 210 614 5200
TX San Antonio Perfect 10 @ San Antonio 210 344-6601
TX San Antonio San Antonio Mens Club 210 590-7088
TX San Antonio Sugars @ San Antonio 210 340-1289
TX San Antonio Ticket Sports Pub 210 222-9722
TX San Antonio Tiffanys Cabaret 210 614 3919
TX San Antonio Wings To Go 210 256-9464

djohn14
01-31-2009, 04:56 PM
UFC announced this will be dedicated to Helio Gracie, and rightfully so!

Jmoney
01-31-2009, 05:43 PM
Georges St. Pierre (170) vs. B.J. Penn (168)
B.J in 3 T.K.O

Machida K.O 2nd Round

Dong Hyun Kim K.0 1st Round

My fav fight of the night these 2 are going to war I just can't pick against Diaz as much as I love Guida and his up tempo Diaz will submit him.

Man Bonnar can take a beating but I dont think he is ready for what this Kid is fixing to do to em Jon Jones 2nd round K.O

-Jon Fitch (171) vs. Akihiro Gono (171)Fitch in 2

-Manny Gamburyan (155) vs. Thiago Tavares (155) Gamby 1st

-Chris Wilson (170) vs. John Howard (171) Wilson K.O 1st

-Jake O'Brien (205) vs. Christian Wellisch (206) Jake 2nd

-Matt Arroyo (171) vs. Dan Cramer (171) I'm just not interested in this fight at all anyone else?

Evan
01-31-2009, 08:26 PM
Georges St. Pierre (170) vs. B.J. Penn (168)
B.J in 3 T.K.O

Machida K.O 2nd Round

Dong Hyun Kim K.0 1st Round

My fav fight of the night these 2 are going to war I just can't pick against Diaz as much as I love Guida and his up tempo Diaz will submit him.

Man Bonnar can take a beating but I dont think he is ready for what this Kid is fixing to do to em Jon Jones 2nd round K.O

-Jon Fitch (171) vs. Akihiro Gono (171)Fitch in 2

-Manny Gamburyan (155) vs. Thiago Tavares (155) Gamby 1st

-Chris Wilson (170) vs. John Howard (171) Wilson K.O 1st

-Jake O'Brien (205) vs. Christian Wellisch (206) Jake 2nd

-Matt Arroyo (171) vs. Dan Cramer (171) I'm just not interested in this fight at all anyone else?

Ballsy ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

dallaskd
01-31-2009, 09:26 PM
check out the espn.com homepage.

Evan
01-31-2009, 09:38 PM
check out the espn.com homepage.

I just tinkled myself.

dallaskd
01-31-2009, 10:08 PM
Let's go guida!

anakha
01-31-2009, 10:21 PM
Full Nelson FTW.

dallaskd
01-31-2009, 10:22 PM
Full Nelson FTW.

:tu

Guida kick ass round one! but can he finish?

dallaskd
01-31-2009, 10:28 PM
Nate is creative, but clay dominates round 2!!!

dallaskd
01-31-2009, 10:34 PM
Clay wins. 1-0

dallaskd
01-31-2009, 10:36 PM
Split Decision my ass

dallaskd
01-31-2009, 10:38 PM
lol they had to shut him up

Tres_Till_it_MHz
01-31-2009, 10:44 PM
That fight sucked Clay did not do enough to win, I hardly saw domination.

dallaskd
01-31-2009, 10:47 PM
I've never watched in public...don't know if I could stomach the idiocy. But for this, I would get there REALLY early if you want a table...

It's not too bad. The fights can get pretty heated it just gets annoying when theres one guy there that thinks he knows everthing in the world and tries and give MMA lessons to the whole restaurant. I also think its funny how everyone needs to show off their $50 MMA shirts. Ive come to like streaming better.

Evan
01-31-2009, 10:48 PM
That fight sucked Clay did not do enough to win, I hardly saw domination.

It was very technical.

Tres_Till_it_MHz
01-31-2009, 10:55 PM
It was very technical.
BY Diaz?

dallaskd
01-31-2009, 11:00 PM
Karo wins round 2?

dallaskd
01-31-2009, 11:07 PM
Kim SHOULD win, but I wouldnt be surprised if Karo got that either.

dallaskd
01-31-2009, 11:08 PM
2-0!!!!!

dallaskd
01-31-2009, 11:13 PM
Come on Bonnar. Let's make it 3-0.

Evan
01-31-2009, 11:15 PM
BY Diaz?

By both.

Tres_Till_it_MHz
01-31-2009, 11:20 PM
By both.

School me.

To the everyday Tres the Plumber fan I saw Diaz scoring and the crazy train animal Guida holding on for dear life doing not a damn thing.

dallaskd
01-31-2009, 11:25 PM
wow Jones is good. that was a 10-8 round.

FreeMason
01-31-2009, 11:26 PM
That spinning elbow was sick.

dallaskd
01-31-2009, 11:31 PM
Gotta love how Bonnar keeps pressing during this ass woopin

FreeMason
01-31-2009, 11:32 PM
Bonnar can take a damn beating.

dallaskd
01-31-2009, 11:37 PM
Jones looked good, just needs to strengthen his cardio.

dallaskd
01-31-2009, 11:38 PM

I know, they way he kept pushing the action was really impressive.

Evan
01-31-2009, 11:38 PM

No doubt....Bonnar looked so good for how he has been out but Jones impressed the hell out of me.

dallaskd
01-31-2009, 11:39 PM
Jones just needs a new nickname. :lol

anakha
01-31-2009, 11:39 PM
Is it 'Wear out the judges night' tonight? :lol

FreeMason
01-31-2009, 11:41 PM
How far away are we from the GSP fight? I just turned on UFC 94 2nd round of the Bonnar/Jones fight.

I thought the main event is usually around 10:30/11 central?

djohn14
01-31-2009, 11:41 PM
Jones is for real ho

dallaskd
01-31-2009, 11:44 PM
How far away are we from the GSP fight? I just turned on UFC 94 2nd round of the Bonnar/Jones fight.

I thought the main event is usually around 10:30/11 central?

Should be after the Silva-Machida fight unless it ends really early, which i doubt.

Tres_Till_it_MHz
01-31-2009, 11:44 PM
Damn I hope Silva whoops Machitas ASSSSS.

dallaskd
01-31-2009, 11:48 PM
Silva reppin my Sao Paulo

anakha
01-31-2009, 11:54 PM
This round better be 10-8 Machida.

EDIT: Holy crap.

dallaskd
01-31-2009, 11:55 PM
wow!!!

Tres_Till_it_MHz
01-31-2009, 11:56 PM
Damn........

resistanze
lol

Evan
Lyoto is a terminator

dallaskd
01-31-2009, 11:57 PM
Great fight by Machida. Complete domination. He'd beat Rashad. I'd love to see him fight Rampage.

Evan
01-31-2009, 11:59 PM
about time he gets his due

djohn14
02-01-2009, 12:00 AM
Ok Evan...Machida is for real!

dallaskd
02-01-2009, 12:01 AM
No undercards tonight.:depressed

Evan
02-01-2009, 12:03 AM
Ok Evan...Machida is for real!

Thank you!

No undercards tonight.:depressed

Dude we still have an hour. We'll get 1 to 3 depending on the main event length.

dallaskd
02-01-2009, 12:04 AM
What? I thought Lesnar-Couture was the most anticipated fight there has been.

And wasnt Couture-Liddell 3 "the one we've waited our entire lives for"?

dallaskd
02-01-2009, 12:05 AM
BJ looks ready to kick some ass.

Evan
02-01-2009, 12:07 AM
What? I thought Lesnar-Couture was the most anticipated fight there has been.

And wasnt Couture-Liddell 3 "the one we've waited our entire lives for"?

marketing ftw?

anakha
02-01-2009, 12:07 AM
"Not only is he a different fighter, a different person... he is a different man."

WTF?

dallaskd
02-01-2009, 12:09 AM
marketing ftw?

I guess. Pulver-Faber 1 was "The greatest cagefight in history"

dallaskd
02-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Here we go....

Let's go BJ.

djohn14
02-01-2009, 12:11 AM
As far as undercards go...they all ended via decision so...well see.

dallaskd
02-01-2009, 12:12 AM

thanks for the spoil

dallaskd
02-01-2009, 12:14 AM
No nipple pinch...

Evan
02-01-2009, 12:18 AM

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF?!?!?!?!?!

dallaskd
02-01-2009, 12:20 AM
Look at that DB. Georges can't take down BJ. :lol

dallaskd
02-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Great round 2 for GSP.

FreeMason
02-01-2009, 12:27 AM
Awesome crowd in there!

GSP tore that cocky Hawaiian ass up!

dallaskd
02-01-2009, 12:29 AM
BJ needs to work for a sub fast.

traitoravery
02-01-2009, 12:30 AM
Whats happening?

djohn14
Dammit....sorry yall honestly I didnt think about it...I was just thinking about not telling yall who won...sorry again!!

Evan
breath taking card so far

Evan
02-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Dammit....sorry yall honestly I didnt think about it...I was just thinking about not telling yall who won...sorry again!!

Lesson learned brother! lol....never again!

dallaskd
02-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Whats happening?

GSP is working BJ on the ground pretty good.

dallaskd
02-01-2009, 12:32 AM
round 4 coming... BJ needs to pull something out of his ass, which he is very capible of doing.

FreeMason
02-01-2009, 12:34 AM
GSP is a machine.

dallaskd
02-01-2009, 12:39 AM
wow i just lost my stream with :24 left in the 4th. WTF?

dallaskd
GSP is a machine.

Did he finish it?

FreeMason
My god GSP is about to go Super Sayaiin.

djohn14
02-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Thanks Evan!!

BTW

Just for fun between rounds while GSP is kicking so BJ Penn ass I thought Id post 5 young fighters who I am a big fan of...

5. Goran Reljic---Hes a fun guy
4. Thiago Alves---He is soo explosive
3. Anthony Johnson--I love that kid
2. Jon Jones---The future of 205
1. Cain Velasquez---Was their any doubt

djohn14
Wtf!!!!!!

FreeMason
About to go into 5th round.

anakha
02-01-2009, 12:41 AM
Has there ever been a card where the only stoppages came between rounds like this one has?

FreeMason
02-01-2009, 12:41 AM
Awesome fucking fight.

Damn that was so impressive.

resistanze
02-01-2009, 12:43 AM
He got WORKED.

dallaskd
GSP looked freakin awesome. I just dont know how well he thinks he can do at MW vs guys like Andeson, Wandy, Rich, Henderson, Nate, Okami....

Evan
that was so awesome...wow!

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FO DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA RYTTTOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anakha
02-01-2009, 12:44 AM
That whole 'wrestle to stiffen up Penn's shoulder' was a very interesting tactic.

BlackSwordsMan
bj penn looked so fucking shitty

BlackSwordsMan
Oh well I guess being a lazy fuck will do that

FreeMason
GSP is like the real life Jean Claude van dammne

dallaskd
02-01-2009, 12:45 AM
that was so awesome...wow!

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FO DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA RYTTTOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GSP vs Silva

who ya got?

djohn14
02-01-2009, 12:47 AM
Damn...I gotta go with my boy Anderson...but Id love it...and who in the Hell would boo Thiago Alves? All that mofo does is put on a show!!!

Evan
02-01-2009, 12:47 AM
GSP vs Silva

who ya got?

GSP

Impossible to pick against for now.

Silva
Fedor
GSP

They own their class.....zero arguing for now.

dallaskd
02-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Bj better not sleep on Ken-Flo.

desflood
02-01-2009, 08:51 AM
A few random thoughts from last night before I have to run back to the kids:

I picked Diaz to submit Guida last night - rarely have I been so happy to be wrong. Clay should change his nickname to "The Smotherer".

Good to see Karo back, but that fight went from decent to pretty bad in the third. He and Kim both have some conditioning work to do.

Jones was very impressive. He definitely "made a statement", as you fellas put it. Glad I changed my pick.

MACHIDA - who'd a thunk it, Machida's fight was the quickest of the night :lol. Definitely one of the most non-boring knockouts I've ever seen. Once again, the man has winner written all over him and is being passed over for the title. Dana and Joe, pull your heads out of your butts.

What can you say about the last? As many predicted, going above 155 killed Penn's cardio. Again. Even if Penn's cardio had been top notch, GSP has obviously passed him by, become the better fighter. Maybe BJ will figure out now that all the natural talent in the world sometimes just isn't enough, especially against a larger, stronger opponent (right, Leonard?:lol)

Overall, what a great night of fights! Tons of talent and excitement. Generally more entertaining than the December card, IMHO.

ATRAIN
02-01-2009, 09:45 AM
A few random thoughts from last night before I have to run back to the kids:

I picked Diaz to submit Guida last night - rarely have I been so happy to be wrong. Clay should change his nickname to "The Smotherer".

Good to see Karo back, but that fight went from decent to pretty bad in the third. He and Kim both have some conditioning work to do.

Jones was very impressive. He definitely "made a statement", as you fellas put it. Glad I changed my pick.

MACHIDA - who'd a thunk it, Machida's fight was the quickest of the night :lol. Definitely one of the most non-boring knockouts I've ever seen. Once again, the man has winner written all over him and is being passed over for the title. Dana and Joe, pull your heads out of your butts.

What can you say about the last? As many predicted, going above 155 killed Penn's cardio. Again. Even if Penn's cardio had been top notch, GSP has obviously passed him by, become the better fighter. Maybe BJ will figure out now that all the natural talent in the world sometimes just isn't enough, especially against a larger, stronger opponent (right, Leonard?:lol)

Overall, what a great night of fights! Tons of talent and excitement. Generally more entertaining than the December card, IMHO.

well put. Its like GSP said he might be the best BJ Penn but im the best GSP I have ever been and he proved it last night.

Evan
02-01-2009, 09:55 AM
well written desflood!

Knockout of the Night: Lyoto Machida (defeated Thiago Silva in R1)

djohn14
02-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Me and Leonard called it...Jon Jones is good....hes already better than Brandon Vera ever thought about being!

Evan
02-01-2009, 09:58 AM
oh no

B.J. Penn's camp has filed a formal complaint with the Nevada State Athletic Commission over Vaseline that was allegedly rubbed on Georges St. Pierre's back between rounds one and two. UFC president Dana White said at the post-fight press conference that he was aware of the complaint, and said he personally witnessed members of the commission take the Vaseline away from GSP's camp and rebuke them in the Octagon between rounds.

"I saw the commission jump up there and flipping out," said Dana White. They said one of the guys was rubbing Vaseline on Georges' back in between rounds. It was one and two, I think."

"The guys from the athletic commission went up there and started screaming at them. Knocked the Vaseline and kicked the Vaseline out of the Octagon."

White added that "some Vaseline on a guy's back didn't change the outcome of that fight, but you don't do it," and said the blame should fall on the cornerman responsible and not GSP.

"If a guy was intentionally putting Vaseline on a guy's back, he should never corner a mixed martial arts fight again."

As for what becomes of the complaint now, White said it's out of his hands.

"Who knows. That's up to the commission."

but it was wiped off by the commission

djohn14
02-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Wtf!!!!!!!!!!

Evan
02-01-2009, 10:48 AM
As a fan of Lyoto who doesn't agree with the criticism but understands why it exists...it was nice to see that not only did Lyoto get a KO but he looked the same. His freaking gameplan was no different than any other fight. Attack, move, attack, move..bOOm!

djohn14
02-01-2009, 11:12 AM
As a fan of Lyoto who doesn't agree with the criticism but understands why it exists...it was nice to see that not only did Lyoto get a KO but he looked the same. His freaking gameplan was no different than any other fight. Attack, move, attack, move..bOOm!

I bet. Ive always liked Lyoto, I just honestly didnt think he was at this level. I never realized how fast he was.

Evan
02-01-2009, 11:18 AM
This certainly puts him in line for a title shot...unfortunately that is such a long line that several people will be getting screwed no matter what happens.

Evan
02-01-2009, 11:27 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/2n7kpdl.gif

http://i39.tinypic.com/2zrou28.gif

http://i41.tinypic.com/e9apfb.gif

http://i41.tinypic.com/2ch2jnt.gif <Soku - That's Judo

djohn14
02-01-2009, 11:33 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/2n7kpdl.gif

http://i39.tinypic.com/2zrou28.gif

http://i41.tinypic.com/e9apfb.gif

http://i41.tinypic.com/2ch2jnt.gif <Soku - That's Judo

Those are sweet, thanks...but none of Jon Jones' awesome throws?

Evan
02-01-2009, 11:40 AM
They will pop up I just can't find them yet. Way too many threads on the ug right now.

Evan
02-01-2009, 11:49 AM
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll98/smoogyFIGHT/lyotopennsweep02.gif

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll98/smoogyFIGHT/lyototigersweep01.gif

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll98/smoogyFIGHT/machidakaztrip01.gif

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll98/smoogyFIGHT/lyotosokosweep01.gif

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll98/smoogyFIGHT/lyotofakekick01.gif

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll98/smoogyFIGHT/lyotoswitchkick01.gif

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll98/smoogyFIGHT/lyototitotrip03.gif

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll98/smoogyFIGHT/lyototitokneeface01.gif

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll98/smoogyFIGHT/lyotoacekarate01.gif

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll98/smoogyFIGHT/lyotohogertrip01.gif

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll98/smoogyFIGHT/lyotoheathknees02.gif

Evan
02-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Jon Jones!

http://i40.tinypic.com/35jas7b.gif

http://i44.tinypic.com/34petja.gif < lol at Joe SILVA screaming!!!!! :lol

2centsworth
02-01-2009, 12:14 PM
When have I ever been wrong about an MMA event?

i knew i should have changed my pick.

djohn14
02-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Thankya Evan...he set that spinning elbow up beautifully!

FreeMason
02-01-2009, 01:29 PM
I didn't think Bonnar would even get up from that.

desflood
02-01-2009, 01:58 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/34petja.gif < lol at Joe SILVA screaming!!!!! :lol
:lol

I told my old man, "Didn't Joe Silva look just like that painting "The Scream" for a minute there?"

Evan
02-01-2009, 02:10 PM
Every time huge KO happens Joe Silva gives us gold. That man truly loves this sport.

Evan
02-01-2009, 02:12 PM
From mmaweekly

– Georges St. Pierre $400,000 (includes $200,000 win bonus) def. B.J. Penn $125,000 (win bonus would have been $125,000)

– Lyoto Machida $120,000 (includes $60,000 win bonus) def. Thiago Silva $29,000 (win bonus would have been $29,000)

– Jon Jones $14,000 (includes $7,000 win bonus) def. Stephan Bonnar $22,000 (win bonus would have been $22,000)

– Karo Parisyan $80,000 (includes $40,000 win bonus) def. Dong Hyun Kim $26,000 (win bonus would have been $26,000)

– Clay Guida $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Nate Diaz $20,000 (win bonus would have been $20,000)

– Jon Fitch $68,000 (includes $34,000 win bonus) def. Akihiro Gono $28,000 (win bonus would have been $28,000)

– Thiago Tavares $26,000 (includes $13,000 win bonus) def. Manny Gamburyan $14,000 (win bonus would have been $14,000)

– John Howard $6,000 (includes $3,000 win bonus) def. Chris Wilson $15,000 (win bonus would have been $15,000)

– Dan Cramer $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus) def. Matt Arroyo $8,000 (win bonus would have been $8,000)

Total Disclosed Payroll: $1,057,000

Evan
02-01-2009, 02:13 PM
I don't think that BJ Penn salary is right...I thought he was $200,000 regardless of win/loss.

IX_Equilibrium
02-01-2009, 02:44 PM
A rare IX_E appearance!! :hat

I love what you've done with the place!

GSP dominated Penn physically and mentally. I love it.

djohn14
02-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Jones-Bonnar should have got Fight of the Night!

dbreiden83080
02-01-2009, 03:42 PM
WAR GSP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man what a fight last night. Was is with this crap from Penn whining about vaseline? So this will be his excuse, "I got my ass kicked because of vaseline" :lol

Anyone got a gif of GSP punching the fence after RD 4, ended man that was fuckin bad-ass....

ATRAIN
02-01-2009, 03:47 PM
I thought your internet was broken you liar lol

dbreiden83080
02-01-2009, 03:52 PM
I thought your internet was broken you liar lol

IT was, i actually logged in a few days ago but i was still getting my new anti-virus and shit together. Did you see the fights on PPV or steal it?? :lol

2centsworth
02-01-2009, 04:00 PM
From mmaweekly

– Georges St. Pierre $400,000 (includes $200,000 win bonus) def. B.J. Penn $125,000 (win bonus would have been $125,000)

– Lyoto Machida $120,000 (includes $60,000 win bonus) def. Thiago Silva $29,000 (win bonus would have been $29,000)

– Jon Jones $14,000 (includes $7,000 win bonus) def. Stephan Bonnar $22,000 (win bonus would have been $22,000)

– Karo Parisyan $80,000 (includes $40,000 win bonus) def. Dong Hyun Kim $26,000 (win bonus would have been $26,000)

– Clay Guida $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Nate Diaz $20,000 (win bonus would have been $20,000)

– Jon Fitch $68,000 (includes $34,000 win bonus) def. Akihiro Gono $28,000 (win bonus would have been $28,000)

– Thiago Tavares $26,000 (includes $13,000 win bonus) def. Manny Gamburyan $14,000 (win bonus would have been $14,000)

– John Howard $6,000 (includes $3,000 win bonus) def. Chris Wilson $15,000 (win bonus would have been $15,000)

– Dan Cramer $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus) def. Matt Arroyo $8,000 (win bonus would have been $8,000)

Total Disclosed Payroll: $1,057,000

Pierre is getting robbed. $1mil min.

ATRAIN
02-01-2009, 04:18 PM
IT was, i actually logged in a few days ago but i was still getting my new anti-virus and shit together. Did you see the fights on PPV or steal it?? :lol

PPV man, I usually dont steal them. One of my friends usually gets the fights or I do.

dbreiden83080
02-01-2009, 04:23 PM
PPV man, I usually dont steal them. One of my friends usually gets the fights or I do.

My Dad was in town so it was pretty cool, we watched it together. I expected GSP to win but man i never saw that coming. Penn didn't have his moments, just got destroyed 2rd on until they threw in the towel...

Evan
02-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Pierre is getting robbed. $1mil min.

He gets PPV percentage...he could get 3 million for all we know

lebomb
02-01-2009, 04:48 PM
How in the hell did St. Pierre get the kitchen sink into the ring?

dbreiden83080
02-01-2009, 05:23 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxingandmma/4420863

Dominance-of-George-St-Pierre-over-BJ-Penn-at-UFC-94-will-define-greatness-of-his-legacy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01250/george_stpierre_1250876c.jpg

Sunday 01 February 2009
By Gareth A Davies
Last Updated: 3:56PM GMT 01 Feb 2009

"George St Pierre was utterly dominant in defending his UFC welterweight title, following a stoppage after four punishing rounds (only punishing for Penn), with doctor William Berliner and Penn’s corner deciding the Hawaiian had taken enough from the fists and elbows of the Canadian.

This was a contest between two true fighters, both in the world top four in pound for pound terms, and both holders of UFC belts. Penn (lightweight), GSP (welterweight). They had met once before, GSP the victor by split decision.

Yet so dominant was this performance at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, in front of a sell-out 17,000 crowd, and an anticipated pay per view audience in the millions, GSP may be elevated from pound for pound great to being considered one of, if not close to, one of the greatest mixed martial artists of all time with this performance.

So complete was his dismantling of Penn, GSP has created a legacy moment which will define his life as an athlete. He smothered everything Penn might have threatened him with, and showed, nay proved, that since their first meeting in 2006, his skills have moved on another level.

St Pierre’s performance against Penn at UFC 94 may be seminal. His take downs were unstoppable - remember he became so good at wrestling, in spite of not having wrestled as a youngster, the Canadian Olympic team began to express an interest in him taking part at the Games for them.

In this fight, he also seemed to pass - at will - the guard of Penn, who is a renowned world champion jiu jitsu fighter. In all departments, he was superior. Power, strength, ground and pound, he was also quicker than Penn to the punch and strike.

On the other side, his defence was brilliant. Penn was unable to launch any countering moves due to St Pierre’s workrate, and sustained attacks.

There is always the tendency to exaggerate post-fight, yet by taking BJ Penn’s considerable skills into account, and the fact that he is nailed down as a future Hall of Famer when he retires, St Pierre dealt with him as if he was a journeyman. That probably says it all.

No one could have predicted it would be as one-sided as it was. In reality, Penn was never in this fight. Only because GSP never let him.

"The last time I won by decision,” said St Pierre from inside the Octagon, after retaining his title for the second time. “I really wanted to take him out and I’m glad I did it.”

Thiago Alves joined GSP in the Octagon after the contest. He will be up next for the welterweight king, who goes from strength to strength. In every department."

ATRAIN
02-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Dammit I forgot to change my pick to Machida!!!!! Oh well.

BWS-1994
02-01-2009, 05:55 PM
well written desflood!

+1

Last second uppercut FTW. Machida extends his unbeaten record and continues to be elusive. Can't wait to see him fight for a title. :toast

Hope Jon Jones' cardio improves to compensate his moves. He's young after all, only 21. Still lots of room.

Except for a few jabs and early takedown defense, it was all GSP. Will Penn ever fight again in the higher weight levels?

FreeMason
02-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Anyone got a gif of GSP punching the fence after RD 4, ended man that was fuckin bad-ass....

Dude that moment was fucking insane. The last minute of that 4th round we saw GSP hit a whole new level. He just kept going harder and harder the longer they went into the fight.

I couldn't wait until the 5th started =[

djohn14
02-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Thiago Alves is gonna beat GSP IMO!!

Evan
02-01-2009, 07:00 PM

Not even close....GSP is officially on another planet of skill.

dbreiden83080
02-01-2009, 07:09 PM

No.. GSP is way too well rounded for him. 5 rds with GSP is a nightmare scenario for anyone with all his tools..

djohn14
02-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Alright boys...we'll see. Im not by any means saying Thiago is better. Hes not. GSP is a top 3 fighter P4P in the world. Thiago will catch him though. No doubt in my mind. I dont blame yall for thinking Im crazy.

dbreiden83080
02-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Alright boys...we'll see. Im not by any means saying Thiago is better. Hes not. GSP is a top 3 fighter P4P in the world. Thiago will catch him though. No doubt in my mind. I dont blame yall for thinking Im crazy.

Yeah he can catch him sure but Alves has a couple of things he loves to do that GSP and his guys can gameplan around. He has to land those huge leg kicks, his standup is mediocre without it. GSP i think has better boxing. He won't get GSP down, and over 5 rds unless he does catch him, he'll get broken down and taken out or lose a dominant decision. I'm not sure why anyone would pick against GSP at this point. He should be like Anderson Silva, you pick him until he gets beat, he's just that good.. He's just got so many tools and so much talent, it is amazing..

dbreiden83080
02-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Look at that DB. Georges can't take down BJ. :lol

Yeah look at that, oh wait just RD 1, after that well you know... :lol

djohn14
02-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Yeah he can catch him sure but Alves has a couple of things he loves to do that GSP and his guys can gameplan around. He has to land those huge leg kicks, his standup is mediocre without it. GSP i think has better boxing. He won't get GSP down, and over 5 rds unless he does catch him, he'll get broken down and taken out or lose a dominant decision. I'm not sure why anyone would pick against GSP at this point. He should be like Anderson Silva, you pick him until he gets beat, he's just that good.. He's just got so many tools and so much talent, it is amazing..
Damn right...Nobody should pick against him...he is that good...He is probably the most talented fighter out there....I just have a real good feeling Thiago will catch him, after GSP dominates round 1. Also, yes if there is a decision...GSP will be the victor.

oligarchy
02-01-2009, 11:22 PM
I believe Thiago can beat GSP as well.

-------

Thoughts and questions on the fight:

Does anyone believe that Guida actually won the fight?

Damn Silva.. here's hoping the next person kicks Machida in the face and gives him brain damage. At least Machida didn't make me want to shoot myself watching him this time.

Jones looked a little better than I thought and impressed, but Bonnar was more disappointing not closing out the fight. Bonnar lost the fight more than Jones won the fight.

Does anyone believe Karo won that fight?

I think the judges must have fallen asleep during the event.

Penn was outclassed. Was it the 'gameplan' or cardio that really hurt BJ?

Jmoney
02-01-2009, 11:42 PM

-------

Damn Silva.. here's hoping the next person kicks Machida in the face and gives him brain damage. At least Machida didn't make me want to shoot myself watching him this time.

Jones looked a little better than I thought and impressed, but Bonnar was more disappointing not closing out the fight. Bonnar lost the fight more than Jones won the fight.

Does anyone believe Karo won that fight?

I think the judges must have fallen asleep during the event.

Penn was outclassed. Was it the 'gameplan' or cardio that really hurt BJ?

Guida fight should of been a draw. While he pressured Nate he didin't attempt any takedowns, did no real damage, nor did he try to really improve position. Diaz attempted alot of submissions could just get no real hold on the hairy sweaty beast that is Guida. I thought the fight was a total draw. Very suprised to see Guida given the fight.

Machida is the best in that weightclass by far. With good reason nobody wants to fight him. His style is so different from everybody elses and he has great submission and power. He is to that division what Fedor is to heavyweight the king.

Jones will be a good fighter in that class his problem is those throws he does just takes so much out of him. They aren't judo throws where your using your opponents own weight against him his are just I'm going to toss your ass and see how you like it. You could see in the 3rd he was really gassed and just trying to get to the end for the win.

Karo lost that fight. I can't bealive the judges scored that and gave it to him. This is not the first time he's look uninterested in a fight and really just not caring. For the love of god in the 2nd round he kept spitting out his mouth piece so he could breathe he was so dam winded already.

The Judges and the Refs were way out of wack in this event. While GSP won his fight hands down with BJ he hit the back of Bj's head at least 15 times with 3 warnings and nothing was done. After the round if you notice BJ was pointing to the back of his head and thats where they stuck the ice packs at. If you have ever been hit in the back of the head like that you know thats a very weak spot and it will make you dizzy as hell. Now I'm by no means saying that GSP did not totally destroy BJ the other 3 rounds *Which he did you could argue 2nd and 3rd rounds being 10-8. The 4th however HE SHOULD of been docked points hell you could make the case he should of been Disqualified for that many illegal blows. With that said 155 is BJ's true weight class and he should admit it and stay with that. The bigger guys like GSP will just push him around and overpower him at 170. While the guys not so big and skilled BJ could take out at 170 and 185 he's just not up to taking on well rounded bigger guys.

The best fight of the night was Machida he really showed that he can knock people out *If you had not already seen his romp a stomp on Franklin* BJ+GSP was a letdown and I'm sorry GSP fighting Alves what a joke. I know Anderson Silva wants to fight at 205 but I would like to see GSP fight Silva at 185

angelbelow
02-02-2009, 12:22 AM
what a fight! all my friends pooled in money to bet on penn because 1. hewas the underdawg, and 2. they all felt he was motivated enough for the fight, but i just couldnt bet on my boy gsp. great fight.

2centsworth
02-02-2009, 09:35 AM
He gets PPV percentage...he could get 3 million for all we know

good.

2centsworth
02-02-2009, 09:41 AM

-------

yes, but Nate showed me some strength for the first time ever.

Damn Silva.. here's hoping the next person kicks Machida in the face and gives him brain damage. At least Machida didn't make me want to shoot myself watching him this time.first knock out of the night and you're complaining. Machida was brilliant.

Jones looked a little better than I thought and impressed, but Bonnar was more disappointing not closing out the fight. Bonnar lost the fight more than Jones won the fight. bonnar closing out the fight? bonnar is the unathletic white guy who can take a punch. He got jacked up that fight and if Jones were in better shape he would have knocked Bonnar out.

Does anyone believe Karo won that fight? fight could have gone either way.

Penn was outclassed. Was it the 'gameplan' or cardio that really hurt BJ? GSP is what hurt BJ. fight made clear that GSP would beat BJ 100% of the time. GSP is bigger, stronger and better.

LEONARD
02-02-2009, 10:05 AM
BJ has to stay at LW...that is clear. What cardio he has can't last against bigger stronger guys. Props to GSP...he worked BJ over. Guys like Fitch would wear BJ down too I'm afraid...

Machida...WOW!!

Love me some Jon Jones...badass throws! Bonnar = gatekeeper

Kim - Karo was a draw at best I thought (3rd rd a draw since neither did anything). I thought Kim was more impressive overall but that's not how the scoring works. Kim has a bright future still I think.

Guida = gatekeeper. He's a 1 trick pony that will never be champ. Most boring "energy" fighter ever...

All but two fights (including undercards) went to a decision...damn.

desflood
02-02-2009, 10:28 AM
Kim has a bright future still I think.
ESPN did an interview with Karo after the event. He said that he was surprised at how strong Kim really was and how skillful, and predicts that Kim will win at least 80% of his future UFC fights. Karo has run his mouth and said some dumb things in the past, but I wouldn't discount his statement because of that. He's been around fighting and the UFC a long time and knows what it takes.

LEONARD
02-02-2009, 10:33 AM
ESPN did an interview with Karo after the event. He said that he was surprised at how strong Kim really was and how skillful, and predicts that Kim will win at least 80% of his future UFC fights. Karo has run his mouth and said some dumb things in the past, but I wouldn't discount his statement because of that. He's been around fighting and the UFC a long time and knows what it takes.

But I'm a dumb$hit that doesn't know anything about MMA, according to a certain person in this forum...

Kim is the perfect size and build for the weightclass. Needs to work hard on his striking...

djohn14
02-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Jmoney...Thiago Alves a joke?...Not hardly.

Jmoney
02-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Jmoney...Thiago Alves a joke?...Not hardly.

He lost to Fitch pretty sound.

He beat Kos however Kos took the fight on 2 weeks notice and still put up a good fight.

Yeah he knocked out Hughes but lets face it Hughes only has one good fight left in him and that's saved for Matt Sera and then he's gonna retire.

Who else has he beaten? Oh Karo and umm I think he beat Lytle due to cuts. So he's beaten 2 gateway fighters 1 fighter on his last legs and lost to a legit title contender in Fitch.

Yeah I'll grant you he's got solid power and his BJJ is decent. However he's not gonna have range on GSP like he's enjoyed on alot of the other fights he has had.

As much as I loathe to admit it *I'm not a big fan of GSP* He's the best in that division in the last 2 years he has just elavated himself to a whole nother plane he hasn't just won his fights since that loss to Serra he has down right man handled every one of his fights. If Alves is the best that they can do they should look at other fights like an Anderson Silva fight. I think it would make for a good show to have GSP and Anderson Silva has coaches on TUF.

LEONARD
02-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Gono’s entrance…his cornermen stayed in drag for the entire fight too…hahaha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DUNxVpK4Zo

djohn14
02-03-2009, 11:19 AM

He beat Kos however Kos took the fight on 2 weeks notice and still put up a good fight.

Yeah he knocked out Hughes but lets face it Hughes only has one good fight left in him and that's saved for Matt Sera and then he's gonna retire.

Who else has he beaten? Oh Karo and umm I think he beat Lytle due to cuts. So he's beaten 2 gateway fighters 1 fighter on his last legs and lost to a legit title contender in Fitch.

Yeah I'll grant you he's got solid power and his BJJ is decent. However he's not gonna have range on GSP like he's enjoyed on alot of the other fights he has had.

As much as I loathe to admit it *I'm not a big fan of GSP* He's the best in that division in the last 2 years he has just elavated himself to a whole nother plane he hasn't just won his fights since that loss to Serra he has down right man handled every one of his fights. If Alves is the best that they can do they should look at other fights like an Anderson Silva fight. I think it would make for a good show to have GSP and Anderson Silva has coaches on TUF.

He is on a 7 fight winning streak with 5 KO/TKOs. That is deserving of a title shot.

dbreiden83080
02-03-2009, 11:20 AM

I have to agree with most of this, Alves is getting a lot of hype but he still has a lot to prove in my eyes. HE did beat Kos, but like you said it wasn't a blowout and on 2 weeks notice, Kos did quite well. He landed several right hands and leg kicks. I had him winning RD 2. He didn't get him down but, It's not like he had a full camp, to spar and wrestle with guys specifically getting him ready for ALves.. GSP tooled Kos, on the ground and on the feet, nobody outwrestles Kos, and GSP did.. 5 RDS with GSP these days is so hard, and Greg Jackson is proving himself to be a genius with game-plans. Having GSP basically clinch and Dirty box Penn on the cage for long stretches, Randy Couture Style, not just shooting for takedowns was geniuis..

djohn14
02-03-2009, 11:34 AM
I have to agree with most of this, Alves is getting a lot of hype but he still has a lot to prove in my eyes. HE did beat Kos, but like you said it wasn't a blowout and on 2 weeks notice, Kos did quite well. He landed several right hands and leg kicks. I had him winning RD 2. He didn't get him down but, It's not like he had a full camp, to spar and wrestle with guys specifically getting him ready for ALves.. GSP tooled Kos, on the ground and on the feet, nobody outwrestles Kos, and GSP did.. 5 RDS with GSP these days is so hard, and Greg Jackson is proving himself to be a genius with game-plans. Having GSP basically clinch and Dirty box Penn on the cage for long stretches, Randy Couture Style, not just shooting for takedowns was geniuis..

So are you saying he dosent deserve a title shot?

dbreiden83080
02-03-2009, 11:47 AM
So are you saying he dosent deserve a title shot?

He's done enough to get one i guess. I would have liked to see him fight Fitch again, since he got worked over real good last time but since Fitch just had a shot that won't happen. After the GSP fight, if he loses he may have to fight Fitch again down the road, in a number 1 contenders match..

djohn14
02-03-2009, 12:06 PM
LIke I said...7 in a row, 5 of which via KO/TKO....plus a win outside the UFC over Marcus Davis. Also, you must remember that Fitch was the first real test he had aside from Spencer Fisher.

dbreiden83080
02-03-2009, 12:11 PM
LIke I said...7 in a row, 5 of which via KO/TKO....plus a win outside the UFC over Marcus Davis. Also, you must remember that Fitch was the first real test he had aside from Spencer Fisher.

7 in a row is nice but only 2 were threats, on this level. Kos on 2 weeks notice and Hughes, who is not in his prime anymore..I don't know what you saw in the KOS fight that makes you feel he will beat GSP? Alves has weaknesses, GSP has none...

djohn14
02-03-2009, 01:29 PM
7 in a row is nice but only 2 were threats, on this level. Kos on 2 weeks notice and Hughes, who is not in his prime anymore..I don't know what you saw in the KOS fight that makes you feel he will beat GSP? Alves has weaknesses, GSP has none...

Kos has never been KOd and Alves almost did on several occasions. You can make the arguement that he took the fight on 2 weeks notice, but Alves had to change his gameplan, and you know Kos will be in great shape. You can not fault a guy for the people has beaten. I do see what you are saying.

dbreiden83080
02-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Kos has never been KOd and Alves almost did on several occasions. You can make the arguement that he took the fight on 2 weeks notice, but Alves had to change his gameplan, and you know Kos will be in great shape. You can not fault a guy for the people has beaten. I do see what you are saying.

So how do you see it playing out?? You just think GSP can't stand with him and he'll get caught coming in for a takedown or something??

LEONARD
02-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Alves has the size and power to stand a puncher's (and kicker's) chance...

He doesn't have near the cardio that GSP does. I don't think he can pull off anything from his back either.

He's as good of an option as anybody right now...kinda like Leites for Silva.

The most intriguing WW out there right now for me is Jake Shields...

dbreiden83080
02-03-2009, 03:00 PM
GSP these days just seems to steamroll all these obstacles people put in front of him. All we heard was "He can't stand with Penn, he won't be able to do much on the ground, his JJ is too good" Yeah well, how'd that work out?? The latest evoloution of GSP is now his dominance on the ground once he gets it there. We saw in the Kos fight his evolution with his overall wrestling but in the past where he would not always do damage, now when it gets down, it is a bitch for his opponents to get back up and he does major damage every time it hits the mat.. Look at the first fight with Penn. He got it down 4 times and did very little in the guard of BJ and BJ got right back up. The 2nd fight, Penn once he taken down, stayed down with the exception of once and he took a ton of damage in the process. Was down and got killed all of RD 2. Down and got killed all of RD 4. Passed guard with ease, he is just eatling JJ BB for breakfast anymore..

dbreiden83080
02-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Posted by MMAFighting.com

"UFC lightweight champion BJ Penn was ready to retire if he had defeated Georges St-Pierre for the welterweight belt last Saturday at UFC 94 in Las Vegas.
Penn, who was absent from the UFC 94 post-fight press conference because he was taken to a hospital, according to UFC president Dana White, made this surprising revelation to KHO2 news in Hawaii.

"I have no clue what's going on in my head right now," said Penn in his first public statement since his loss. "My mind changes from time to time so I was going to make this my last fight and finish up fighting GSP.

"In my head, I was with the company for nine or ten years and I kind of just wanted to go be finished with this whole thing after this. So I don't know where my head is right now."

FreeMason
02-03-2009, 03:25 PM
GSP's side of the story

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/mma/02/02/georges.st.pierre.qa/index.html?eref=T1

SI.com: You've fought B.J. twice. You've been a part of two promotions with him. You've heard him talk about you and your camp. And now post-fight, with the Vaseline issue, what's your opinion of B.J. Penn?
St. Pierre: To tell you the truth, I think it's normal to have a winning attitude in life. When I lose, I always try to figure out why I lose. But the problem with B.J., he tries to figure out why he loses, but he doesn't focus on himself. He focuses on the other person. When I lost the fight I focused on what I did wrong. I didn't focus on what I cannot change. B.J., instead of focusing on things he can change to make himself better, he tries to focus on things he doesn't have any control over, and tries to find some excuse that it's not up to him. It's really an excuse. He should focus on things that he can change about himself in the fight to make himself better. That would be a better approach for him.

dallaskd
02-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Alves has the size and power to stand a puncher's (and kicker's) chance...

He doesn't have near the cardio that GSP does. I don't think he can pull off anything from his back either.

He's as good of an option as anybody right now...kinda like Leites for Silva.

The most intriguing WW out there right now for me is Jake Shields...

Shields has no stand-up.

djohn14
02-03-2009, 06:20 PM
So how do you see it playing out?? You just think GSP can't stand with him and he'll get caught coming in for a takedown or something??

No No No...Im not saying GSP cant stand with him. GSP superhuman. I really just see Thiago coming out with some great leg kicks as they stand for about 2 mins. Then GSP starts to attack. He'll get a takedown and pretty much dominate for the rest of the round. Not a lot of damage done to Thiago, but enough to give GSP the round. Then in the early second round Thiagos leg kicks set up a punch that hurts GSP, Thiago chases him down and gets the KO. Yes, I have put a lot of thought into that.

Evan
02-09-2009, 09:27 PM
gono

zTTdEPKaMdM

djohn14
02-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Gono is awesome lol....how many fighters do you think would have the balls...or ovaries..to do that haha~

Evan
02-09-2009, 10:49 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/2z8vli0.jpg

Evan
02-09-2009, 10:49 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/s1t5a9.jpg

^hard to find but genius

Evan
02-20-2009, 10:18 PM
"Do I think that he got greased? Yeah, I do," White told The Canadian Press prior to the UFC 95 weigh-in Friday at the Dominion Theatre. "Absolutely, 100 per cent, I think that that guy was rubbing grease on him."

"You put another fighter at a huge disadvantage, which is very dangerous," White said.

Asked if the GSP cornerman was cheating, White replied: "I think he was. I do. I think he absolutely, positively knew that he was rubbing grease on him. I do. Nobody can tell me different. I watched the tape a million times."

http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=267945&lid=sublink010&lpos=headlines_main

dbreiden83080
02-20-2009, 10:26 PM
"Do I think that he got greased? Yeah, I do," White told The Canadian Press prior to the UFC 95 weigh-in Friday at the Dominion Theatre. "Absolutely, 100 per cent, I think that that guy was rubbing grease on him."

"You put another fighter at a huge disadvantage, which is very dangerous," White said.

Asked if the GSP cornerman was cheating, White replied: "I think he was. I do. I think he absolutely, positively knew that he was rubbing grease on him. I do. Nobody can tell me different. I watched the tape a million times."

http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=267945&lid=sublink010&lpos=headlines_main

Way to demean the victory of maybe the best pd for pd fighter in the world. And no, Dana you can say "Greese" 100 times over and nobody will pay to see GSP beat-down Penn again".. It's as big a mis-match as Tito and Ken at this point.

Evan
02-20-2009, 10:44 PM
How in the world does he demean it? You should read the whole thing.

dbreiden83080
02-21-2009, 01:54 PM
"You put another fighter at a huge disadvantage"

That comment annoyed me, but i probably over-reacted. As a huge GSP fan all this greese this and that, is irritating. BJ Penn if you go to his website does nothing but post videos about it, he is trying 100% to use it as an excuse for getting his ass kicked...

LockBeard
02-21-2009, 01:57 PM
GSP should accept the rematch but only if winner gets loser's purse.

That way Penn can go fuck himself if he is just bitching to get some rematch money off GSP's success.

Evan
02-21-2009, 02:30 PM
"You put another fighter at a huge disadvantage"

That comment annoyed me, but i probably over-reacted. As a huge GSP fan all this greese this and that, is irritating. BJ Penn if you go to his website does nothing but post videos about it, he is trying 100% to use it as an excuse for getting his ass kicked...

I thought Dana did a good job of

- admitting there was a problem
- saying its wrong
- clearly pointing who did it, the corner man
- making it clear that GSP is so good it wasn't needed

IMO if anything he made GSP look better.

polandprzem
02-22-2009, 09:26 AM
In a rematch they should greese BJ to make it even

Evan
02-22-2009, 12:12 PM
In a rematch they should greese BJ to make it even

I don't think there will ever be one.

Evan
02-25-2009, 12:42 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/2mpfz84.jpg

polandprzem
02-25-2009, 02:24 PM
I was joking btw.

And second btw. GSP got some fine sparing partners (oh maybe two)

dallaskd
02-25-2009, 07:01 PM

yellow fever!

Evan
02-25-2009, 08:56 PM
oh my^^^^^

desflood
02-26-2009, 03:09 PM
yellow fever!
Oh dude - totally tacky.

dbreiden83080
02-26-2009, 05:20 PM

That Riddum of his, is just unstoppable...

desflood
02-27-2009, 09:57 PM
I saw some guy in the mall today wearing a shirt with the perfect slogan for this fight:

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

dbreiden83080
03-10-2009, 09:36 PM
:lmao

q8oJPuq2tvU&feature=channel_page