PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Pacers Previews

duncan228
01-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Indiana (15-26) at San Antonio (27-13) Preview (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2009012024&prov=ap)
Game info: 8:30 pm EST Tue Jan 20, 2009 TV: FSIN
By Brett Huston

The San Antonio Spurs have been inconsistent on defense lately, causing more than a few headaches for coach Gregg Popovich.

Having to defend Danny Granger produces headaches for many opposing coaches.

Coming off two stellar defensive efforts on the road, the Spurs will return home Tuesday to face the Indiana Pacers and Granger, who’s averaging more than 30 points per game over the last month.

San Antonio (27-13) has been a fixture atop the NBA’s defensive charts over the past decade, finishing among the league’s top three teams in fewest points allowed each season since 1996-97.

The Spurs are allowing 94.0 points per game midway through this season, still among the top 10 in the league but by far their worst average since they gave up 98.3 ppg 12 seasons ago - the year before Tim Duncan’s arrival.

They’d allowed an average of 108.3 points in losing two of their first three games last week, which included a 109-87 defeat at Philadelphia on Friday that left Popovich fuming.

“We’re supposed to be a pretty good defensive team and it hasn’t looked like it for a while,” Popovich said after the opener of San Antonio’s three-game road trip. “We’re not the team we’ve been in the past couple years on the defensive end. It’s really troubling.”

The Spurs played better defensively on Saturday in Chicago, beating the Bulls 92-87, then really stepped up Monday when the offense wasn’t clicking. San Antonio limited Charlotte to 36.3 percent shooting and held the Bobcats to 16 points in the fourth quarter, kick-starting a late rally to win 86-84.

“Maybe getting our butts kicked in Philly made them realize we did suck on defense,” Popovich said. “It’s got to be our focus because we’re going nowhere without defense.”

The Spurs have won four of their last six home games despite allowing 101.5 ppg in that stretch. San Antonio had allowed 100 points only twice in its first 16 games at the AT&T Center.

The Pacers (15-26), the highest-scoring team in the Eastern Conference thanks primarily to one of the league’s highest-scoring players, are sure to test the Spurs’ defense.

Granger’s 26.4 points per game rank fourth in the NBA, and he’s been even better over the last month. Since Dec. 17, Granger has averaged 30.6 ppg - the most of any player in the East during that span.

He had 30 on Monday at New Orleans, including a 3-pointer with 2.5 seconds left to tie the score at 100. The Hornets’ Chris Paul, though, drained a 3 at the buzzer to give New Orleans a 103-100 victory and keep Indiana from a three-game winning streak.

“Our shooter made a 3 and their shooter hit one to counter,” Pacers coach Jim O’Brien said. “It was a great shot - both of them. What are you going to do? We lost a tough game tonight.”

Despite the loss, Indiana did get Marquis Daniels, who’s averaging 14.8 points, back from a strained left groin for the first time in two weeks. Daniels played only three minutes, but Monday marked the first time Daniels, T.J. Ford (14.1 ppg) and Mike Dunleavy (16.7) were all in the lineup this season.

While Popovich has been unhappy with San Antonio’s defense, the Pacers haven’t played much defense all season. They’re allowing 106.9 ppg, and have yielded an average of 115.1 points in their past nine games.

Indiana has lost six straight in San Antonio while averaging 89.5 points.

Notes

Pacers:

G Danny Granger returned to his hometown as he was born and raised in New Orleans. ... Granger had another sort of reunion as he and Hornets G Chris Paul were roommates in the NBA's pre-draft camp in Chicago.

Spurs:

The San Antonio Spurs are 8-1 against the Bobcats in the all-time series. ... San Antonio is 8-2 in games decided by three points or less. It has been in more three-point decisions than any other team in the NBA this season. ... The Spurs have held their last two opponents under 90 points following a 22-point loss to Philadelphia on Friday. ... San Antonio's bench outscored Charlotte's reserves, 36-9.

Team Stat Leaders

Danny Granger Ind 26.3
Tony Parker SA 20.9

Rebounds

Troy Murphy Ind 11.3
Tim Duncan SA 10.2

Assists

T.J. Ford Ind 5.1
Tony Parker SA 6.6

Team Comparison
Team Record Standings PF PA Road/Home Streak L10

Indiana 15-26 5th Central / 14th East 104.8 106.9 Road 6-17 Lost 1 5-5

San Antonio 27-13 1st Southwest / 2nd West 96.9 94.0 Home 15-7 Won 2 7-3

duncan228
01-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Tuesday: Pacers (15-26) at Spurs (27-13) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Tuesday_Pacers_15-26_at_Spurs.html)
Express-News

Time: 7:30 p.m.
TV: KMYS
Radio: WOAI-AM 1200, KCOR-AM 1350

STARTING LINEUPS
POS - SPURS - PACERS

PG - 9 Tony Parker (6-2, 8th yr) - 1 Jarrett Jack (6-3, 4th yr)
Parker coming off seventh double-double of season: 13 points, 10 rebounds vs. Charlotte.

SG - 8 Roger Mason Jr. (6-5, 5th yr) - 17 Mike Dunleavy (6-9, 7th yr)
Dunleavy averaging 16.7 points in seven games since return from injury.

SF - 4 Michael Finley (6-7, 14th yr) - 33 Danny Granger (6-9, 4th yr)
If Granger doesn’t wind up an Eastern Conference All-Star, something’s wrong.

PF - 21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 12th yr) - 3 Troy Murphy (6-11, 8th yr)
Duncan comes back from Charlotte $1,000 lighter after technical foul.

C - 15 Matt Bonner (6-10, 5th yr) - 10 Jeff Foster (6-11, 10th yr)
Foster starting to gain consistent minutes in Jim O’Brien’s rotation again.

SPURS RESERVES

12 Bruce Bowen, F, 6-7, 13th yr
20 Manu Ginobili, G, 6-6, 7th yr
3 George Hill, G, 6-2, 1st yr
7 Fabricio Oberto, C, 6-10, 4th yr
40 Kurt Thomas, C/F, 6-9, 14th yr
5 Ime Udoka, G/F, 6-5, 5th yr
22 Austin Croshere, F, 6-10, 11th yr

PACERS RESERVES

5 T.J. Ford, G, 6-0, 5th yr
23 Stephen Graham, F, 6-6, 4th yr
55 Roy Hibbert, C, 7-2, 1st yr
32 Josh McRoberts, F, 6-10, 2nd yr
8 Rasho Nesterovic, C, 7-0, 11th yr
25 Brandon Rush, G, 6-6, 1st yr
12 Travis Diener, G, 6-1, 4th yr

COACHES

Spurs: Gregg Popovich
Pacers: Jim O’Brien

INJURIES

Spurs: Ian Mahinmi (sprained right ankle) is out.

Pacers: Ford (sore lower back) and Marquis Daniels (strained left groin) are day-to-day.

PROJECTED INACTIVE PLAYERS

Spurs: Malik Hairston, Jacque Vaughn, Mahinmi.

NOTABLE

Pacers are coming off a 103-100 Monday loss to New Orleans, made possible by Chris Paul’s 3-pointer at the buzzer. Spurs are coming off an 86-84 victory at Charlotte, made possible by a buzzer-beater that wasn’t — Boris Diaw missed a 3-pointer for the Bobcats at the horn. ..... Granger has topped 20 points in 15 straight games for Indiana. ..... Spurs have won six in a row against the Pacers at home.

- Jeff McDonald

exstatic
01-20-2009, 12:58 AM
If Bowen doesn't play 30, Granger may hang 45 pts. on SA.

pawe
01-20-2009, 01:22 AM

not gonna happen. Pop knows that the Pacers rely on Granger and he's not gonna let Bowen rot in the bench and risk Granger going apeshit against the Spurs. But I have to admit, the pacers are hanging tough with good teams only to fall short on the final minutes.

mogrovejo
01-20-2009, 01:38 AM
This season Pacers are probably the most unlucky team I've ever found in almost 2 decades of NBA following.

OTOH, their games are guaranteed fun - I rarely miss one, in spite of Obie's insulting and atrocious offensive system - as 99% of them are decided in the last 2 possessions. It's truly insane.

Dangerous game for the Spurs. Granger is the best scorer, but you have to stop Dunleavy first and foremost. I think San Antonio will eventually outscore Indiana.

EricB
01-20-2009, 01:49 AM

Hes a much better scorer than Kobe then.

Spork KIller
01-20-2009, 03:48 AM
Pacer 109
Spurms 67

The Spurms can't handle back-to-backs and they actually play better on the road that at home..

Sorry homers!!!

Yorae
01-20-2009, 03:49 AM
Pacer 109
Spurms 67

The Spurms can't handle back-to-backs and they actually play better on the road that at home..

Sorry homers!!!

I hope you didn't watch phoenix's game today. I pity you.

Chieflion
01-20-2009, 03:51 AM
Ball denial against Granger would be ideal. Just don't let Granger touch the ball. More than half of Granger's field goals come from assists.

Spork KIller
01-20-2009, 03:53 AM
I hope you didn't watch phoenix's game today. I pity you.

The same way your pathetic team will lose this Sunday against the Lakers, no more lucky bounces for scrub players this time

bigdog
01-20-2009, 04:01 AM
The same way your pathetic team will lose this Sunday against the Lakers, no more lucky bounces for scrub players this time

we won't need lucky bounces this time

Spork KIller
01-20-2009, 04:03 AM
we won't need lucky bounces this time

No you won't because you are going to get trashed in front of a national TV audience.

bigdog
01-20-2009, 04:08 AM
No you won't because you are going to get trashed in front of a national TV audience.

the same way your team got trashed by the celtics in front of a national tv audience? I don't think so.

benefactor
01-20-2009, 06:33 AM
Hes a much better scorer than Kobe then.
It's more about Granger's length than anything. Long, athletic forwards give us more trouble than any other type of player in the league. Just look what Thaddeus Young did to us when we played the Sixers. He dropped almost as many points on us as Kobe did and he is not near the player Kobe is. Actually, he scored better than Kobe on us because he dropped 27 on us in 31 minutes and Kobe had 29 in 42 minutes. Plus you have the fact that Mason could guard Kobe. Players like Granger and Young have way too much size for Mason.

I agree with exstatic...and extended dose of Finley trying to stay in front of Granger will wind up in a rape session. If Finley is to play any sort of extended minutes he needs to be slid to the 2 guard with Bowen at the SF when Granger is in the game.

TBQH...extended minutes with Finley in any form in this game is probably suicide.

Austin_Toros
01-20-2009, 06:59 AM
no Jamal Tinsley to burn us like last season.

Granger however...

Drom John
01-20-2009, 07:28 AM
I hope Croshere gets significant time against the Pacers. And may the Croshere time be the highlight of the game for the Indianapolis fans.

gingerwave
01-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Spurs won't have a problem with the Pacers. Let's go Spurs. :flag:

shelshor
01-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Referee Assignments
Tue. Jan. 20
Indiana @ San Antonio: R. Garretson, L. Grillo, J. Phillips

DPG21920
01-20-2009, 11:48 AM
You know who I would love to see on the Spurs (besides Granger) but I understand that it is unlikely due to his role on the Pacers and his contract: Troy Murphy. He is basically David Lee with a much better stroke. He would fit perfectly imo. No chance, just a thought though.

angel_luv
01-20-2009, 11:49 AM
I hope the Pacers play Sho some tonight. I really miss seeing him play.

ploto
01-20-2009, 01:24 PM
One thing is certain- Pacers games are fun to watch.

The one thing I will look for is whether or not the Pacers get the Spurs to go along with the pace (no pun intended) and the helter skelter way they like to play their games or whether the Spurs are able to slow it down.

HarlemHeat37
01-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Granger scares me..we have nobody that can match him physically(few teams do)..hopefully Bowen can get in his head, since Granger loses his cool at times..

MoSpur
01-20-2009, 01:30 PM
I wanna see how Hibbert does. Of course I also want to see Granger. I love that guy.

ploto
01-20-2009, 01:42 PM
I wanna see how Hibbert does. Of course I also want to see Granger. I love that guy.

Probably won't play much- if at all. Hibbert has only played a couple of minutes total in the past 3 games.

duncan228
01-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Spurs host Pacers at AT&T Center (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=nba/news/news.aspx?id=4205049)

(Sports Network) - The Southwest Division-leading San Antonio Spurs return to the Alamo City Tuesday for the first of a quick two-game homestand when they host the Indiana Pacers.

The Spurs just finished a three-game road swing at 2-1 with a hard-fought 86-84 win over the Bobcats in Charlotte on Monday. Tim Duncan scored a team- high 17 points, grabbed 11 rebounds and dished out six assists in the win.

Tony Parker had a solid game with 13 points and 10 assists, while Roger Mason had 12 points and Manu Ginobili and George Hill each had 10 apiece for the Spurs, who lead the Southwest by a game over New Orleans. San Antonio has won seven of nine overall.

The Spurs will finish their quick residency with New Jersey on January 23.

The Pacers, meanwhile, suffered a heartbreaker in New Orleans on Monday when Chris Paul scored 27 points and hit the game-winning shot as time expired, as the Hornets edged Indiana, 103-100.

Danny Granger led all scorers with 30 points to pace Indiana, which had a two- game win streak broken and fell to 6-17 on the road this season. Troy Murphy had 17 points and 11 rebounds.

The Spurs, who are 15-7 at the AT&T Center on the year, swept the home-and- home series between the two clubs last season and has won five of six overall against the Pacers. Indiana has lost six straight and nine of its last 10 contests in San Antonio.

FromWayDowntown
01-20-2009, 02:58 PM
By an odd quirk of scheduling, I get to see each of the Pacers' next two games live. I'm going to the game here tonight and then will be at Conseco on Friday night to see the Pacers and Rockets.

Guess I'll know them pretty well by the end of the week. . . .

Granger's good. It's going to take a great effort by the Spurs to have any real chance to slow him down, even a tad. Since sitting out 2 games before Christmas, Granger has been scoring a lot, but he's been shooting it pretty well, too. He's been better than 45% from the field in 10 of his last 14 games (and almost 46% from the field in those 14 games) in rolling to his nearly 30 ppg average over that stretch. He's a beast right now and nobody seems to have figured out how to really slow him down very much.

spursincharge
01-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Is it televised in Austin???

duncan228
01-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Spurs Team Report (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AomPJ1zUO.xuPfhRKbzRsTeM0bYF?slug=teamre ports-2009-nba-sas&prov=sportsxchange&type=team_report)

Gregg Popovich saw this one coming. Just as he predicted during a retirement party for Don Nelson in Dallas years ago, Popovich knew the same about Larry Brown. Popovich wasn’t surprised when either returned to the sidelines. A former assistant to Nelson and Brown, Popovich squared off against the latter Monday in Charlotte.

“Every time he takes one of those pseudo-management kind of jobs, you just sort of laugh,” said Popovich, referring to Brown’s short stint in Philadelphia after being fired by New York.

“You know he’s going crazy up there. He enjoys the competitiveness and the teaching that comes with being a coach. He’s not going to stay out of it.”

The Spurs coach likes what he sees out of Brown’s team. The Bobcats have traded for Raja Bell, Boris Diaw and DeSagana Diop, and have been more competitive lately.

“They’re either winning or playing people tougher now,” Popovich said. “The talent they have didn’t say that at the beginning of the year. He’s whipped them into shape, and now they’re believing in themselves a whole lot more.”

Spurs 86, Bobcats 84: San Antonio finished off a three-game road trip at 2-1 after holding on Monday afternoon to beat Charlotte. The Southwest Division-leading Spurs (27-13) return to Texas a solid second in the Western Conference.

Tim Duncan led San Antonio in the defensive struggle with 17 points, 11 rebounds and six assists. Tony Parker added 13 points and 10 assists, as the Spurs rallied from nine down in the third quarter.

Raja Bell scored 25 points for Charlotte, while former Suns teammate Boris Diaw had 16 points and 13 boards. Diaw also missed a 3-pointer at the buzzer that would have won the game.

Notes, Quotes

• The Spurs have never finished lower than fifth in field-goal percentage defense in Gregg Popovich’s 11 full seasons as coach. San Antonio ranked No. 21 going into Monday. The Spurs were at their worst during a recent three-game stretch, giving up 108.3 points while going 1-2. They’ve since responded by allowing 87 and 84 points in victories over Chicago and Charlotte, respectively.

None of the Spurs are prepared to say all is better. And don’t bother bringing up their record as a sign that things are OK.

“The only thing that’s saving us is that everybody else is beating everybody else up, so our record looks basically as good as anybody else’s,” Popovich said. “It’s fool’s gold.”

• G George Hill has played twice this season against Chicago point guard Derrick Rose, the No. 1 pick and early Rookie of the Year favorite. Hill would enjoy nothing more than to join Rose in the rookie-sophomore game during NBA All-Star Weekend in Phoenix. Rose is assured a spot, while Hill has made a strong case to earn an invite.

“I’d love to play with him,” said Hill, who started early this season and has remained in the rotation. “I’d love to be a part of that whole thing.”

QUOTE TO NOTE: “We suck on D.”—Coach Gregg Popovich on the Spurs ranking in the lower third in field-goal percentage defense.

Roster Report

Rotation:

Starters—Point guard Tony Parker, Shooting guard Roger Mason, Small forward Michael Finley, Power forward Tim Duncan, Center Matt Bonner.

Bench—Forward Kurt Thomas, Guard Manu Ginobili, Forward Ime Udoka, Forward Bruce Bowen, Center Fabricio Oberto, Guard George Hill.

Player Notes:

• F Tim Duncan signed autographs and posed for pictures with more than three dozen Wake Forest fans before Monday’s game at Charlotte. Duncan’s alma mater became the top-ranked team in the country later in the day.

Duncan finished the return to North Carolina in fine fashion with a double-double (17 points and 11 rebounds) and his block of Bobcats G Raymond Felton in the final seconds helped preserve the win.

• F Bruce Bowen appears to be taking a bigger role in the rotation. In the first two games of the just-completed three-game road trip, Bowen played 23 minutes off the bench at Philadelphia and followed it up with 19 at Chicago. The defensive stopper hadn’t logged that many minutes in consecutive games since December. He finished the trip with 16:30 of playing time Monday at Charlotte.

• G Manu Ginobili was the only Spur to make a basket in the last four minutes of Monday’s win at Charlotte. His consecutive 3-pointers gave San Antonio a lead with 3:30 left that it wouldn’t relinquish. Ginobili had made only two shots in nine attempts before those 3-pointers. He ended up with 10 points.

Medical Watch:

• C Ian Mahinmi (sprained ankle) is inactive.

timvp
01-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Medical Watch:

• C Ian Mahinmi (sprained ankle) is inactive.Are we into month five of his recovery? That's gotta be some sort of record . . .

FromWayDowntown
01-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Are we into month five of his recovery? That's gotta be some sort of record . . .

I think Beno just took a break from his mid-afternoon breakfast taco to scoff at Ian's toughness.

timvp
01-20-2009, 04:19 PM
I think Beno just took a break from his mid-afternoon breakfast taco to scoff at Ian's toughness.

:lol Well played.

Tully365
01-20-2009, 06:25 PM
You know who I would love to see on the Spurs (besides Granger) but I understand that it is unlikely due to his role on the Pacers and his contract: Troy Murphy. He is basically David Lee with a much better stroke. He would fit perfectly imo. No chance, just a thought though.

I agree-- it's strange that he's not getting more press coverage. He's averaging 12.3 ppg, 11.3 rpg, 2.5 apg, and shooting 41% on three pointers. Those are pretty outstanding numbers.