PDA

View Full Version : rosetta stone

Slydragon
01-20-2009, 05:04 AM
Anyone ever try this and actually learn a new language? I have had this sitting on my pc for about 3 months now and forgot I had it until a co-worker was talking about learning french and mention it. She said they cost $400.00-500.00 per language WTF!!! per language. I got over 20 different languages on the 1 dvd I have that's crazy cost if you bought them all.

Anyways I told her I'll shoot it her way and see if it helps, but has anyone here ever used it? I don't ever believe the commercials, I mess with it and I guess if you are 100% committed you can learn but it feels cheap and not worth the price they ask for.

baseline bum
01-20-2009, 05:43 AM
Anyone ever try this and actually learn a new language? I have had this sitting on my pc for about 3 months now and forgot I had it until a co-worker was talking about learning french and mention it. She said they cost $400.00-500.00 per language WTF!!! per language. I got over 20 different languages on the 1 dvd I have that's crazy cost if you bought them all.

Anyways I told her I'll shoot it her way and see if it helps, but has anyone here ever used it? I don't ever believe the commercials, I mess with it and I guess if you are 100% committed you can learn but it feels cheap and not worth the price they ask for.

I was not impressed at all by Rosetta Stone. The best language resource I have seen is Pimsleur's audio CDs where you do nothing but listen to native speakers (speaking the target language) and (pretend to) talk back to them. Rosetta Stone seems to fit more into our "Become a Master Java Programmer in 24 Hours" culture of wanting something right now without really working for it.

baseline bum
01-20-2009, 05:51 AM
Let me also add that I'm not very good at picking up languages though. I studied way longer and harder in my spanish classes than in any math, science, or engineering classes I took in school, and got way worse grades. Still, I learned enough to talk my way out of jail one time when a Tijuana cop planted a joint on me. (true story)

koriwhat
01-20-2009, 10:33 AM
i liked rosetta stone when i was using it... it takes you from very basic vocab to sentence structure to conversation. it was cool. tried learning espanol on it but i didn't keep on with it. laziness was the culprit.

livemocha.com is similar to rosetta stone and it's free and you have the ability to be taught by others around the world about their language while you try and learn it. it's pretty cool.

hater
01-20-2009, 08:33 PM
it is "fun" as fun as learning on a pc could be. also it is proven.

only thing is there is no point learning a language you will rarely use. you will waste time and forget in the end.

koriwhat
01-20-2009, 11:23 PM

only thing is there is no point learning a language you will rarely use. you will waste time and forget in the end.

you are def a hater. great name!

DarkReign
01-26-2009, 01:46 PM

See, thats my problem with even trying to learn a new language. Spanish would be my obvious pick, but the only thing I can think of to help keep it "fresh" is the Spanish channel on TV.

....and I dont think my wife would appreciate the programming (Latino TV = Boobs without Brains). Beyond that, there arent many Spanish speakers in Michigan.

My other option is French (there is an AM radio station in French here...must be from Quebec). Also, Arabic (plenty of AM channels in Arabic).

But beyond that, I would never speak to someone else. So I would understand it with no problem, but my pronounciation would be deplorable.

ClingingMars
01-26-2009, 02:36 PM
i'll probably end up working there one day as a programmer. the founder went to JMU and is pretty active here in Harrisonburg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_Stone_(software)

According to the company, in the 1980's, Mr. Allen Stoltzfus was frustrated with trying to learn Russian in a classroom setting and wanted to simulate his experiences learning German while in Germany. Mr. Stoltzfus found it was much easier learning German through immersion than through methods traditionally used in schools, and he wanted to use computing technology to simulate a similar learning experience. He enlisted the aid of his brother-in-law, Dr. John Fairfield, who held a PhD. in computer science. By 1992, CD-ROM technology made the project possible and they formed a company known as Fairfield Language Technologies in Harrisonburg, Virginia. Allen and John brought on Eugene Stoltzfus, Allen's brother, as company President and CEO, and released their software product under the name Rosetta Stone. In 2003, the company came under new leadership with the announcement of Tom Adams as President and CEO, a businessman with international experience. The company changed names in 2006 to Rosetta Stone, Ltd., and with it came a change from an S Corp to a C Corp and the sale to investment firms ABS Capital Partners and Northwest Equity Partners. On September 23, 2008, Rosetta Stone Inc. filed an Initial Public Offering with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

-Mars

pops1975
01-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Hey does anyone have Spanish Latin, i am trying to learn but dont have 400 to get it anyone can help, thanks

koriwhat
01-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Hey does anyone have Spanish Latin, i am trying to learn but dont have 400 to get it anyone can help, thanks

torrent.

The Reckoning
01-31-2009, 06:03 PM
See, thats my problem with even trying to learn a new language. Spanish would be my obvious pick, but the only thing I can think of to help keep it "fresh" is the Spanish channel on TV.

....and I dont think my wife would appreciate the programming (Latino TV = Boobs without Brains). Beyond that, there arent many Spanish speakers in Michigan.

My other option is French (there is an AM radio station in French here...must be from Quebec). Also, Arabic (plenty of AM channels in Arabic).

But beyond that, I would never speak to someone else. So I would understand it with no problem, but my pronounciation would be deplorable.

learn to read russian.

IronMexican
02-01-2009, 02:52 AM

You're missing out on Spanish TV.

FreeMason
02-02-2009, 05:20 AM
Started this just now (latin America). I took 3 years in HS and forgot it all. I need to re-learn it for my future career I'm thinking. Also, it could come in handy when Mexico finally collapses :lol

I like Rosetta Stone so far; I might try Latin after this :hat