PDA

View Full Version : Dual duty for D-Leaguer Malik Hairston (article+video)

Bruno
01-20-2009, 08:22 AM
The article is just a transcript of the video.

Video :
http://www.news8austin.com/shared/video/video_pop.asp?destlist=60947

Article :
http://www.news8austin.com/content/sports/?ArID=229541&SecID=5

1/19/2009 8:43 AM
By: Victor Diaz

Malik Hairston says he knew he'd be back and forth between the NBA and the NBA D-League, playing for the Spurs and the Toros.
The first place Austin Toros have a hot hand who's gunning for another call up to the NBA.

Toros swingman Malik Hairston lives with the ups and downs of life in the NBA D-League.

The San Antonio Spurs traded for him on draft night and then cut him at the end of training camp, which left him developing his game in Austin.

Head Coach Quin Snyder said Hairston worked hard from day one.

"He wasn't sitting around feeling sorry for himself, dejected, he's worked and worked and worked," Snyder said.

The work is paying off.

Hairston leads the team in scoring and he's on fire lately with 60 points in the last two games.

"Things have been going well,” Hairston said. “More than finding my groove, it's just continuing to get better."

Snyder said Hairston has a lot to offer.

"He can really finish, he's explosive he can really get to the rim,” he said. “He's also got a nice floor game."

Hairston hasn't fallen off the Spurs’ radar.

The Austin Toros' head coach says the player is a leader and committed teammate.

San Antonio signed him to a contract in December, allowing him to suit up for the Christmas Day game in Phoenix, before assigning him back to Austin.

Hairston said he’s glad he can get the dual experience.

"It was a great experience when Rog [Roger Mason, Jr.] hit that game-winning shot,” he said. “It's just good to get a sample of it, and when I signed they told me I'd be back and forth."

Hairston believes he'll be an everyday NBA player at some point.

In the meantime, he uses playing time with the Toros to prove his value every game.

Snyder said Hairston is a committed teammate.

"More than anything he's just got tremendous character, he's a great teammate and the other night he just wouldn't let us lose,” he said.

Hairston played 42 minutes and scored 43 points in the Toros’ overtime win against Colorado.

Those are numbers Hairston hasn't seen since high school.

"People don't generally put up those kind of numbers in college, and it's just great to be able to play for a guy like coach Q – a system that allows me to play my game and get into a good rhythm," he said.

It’s a flow that keeps the Toros offense running smooth while Hairston waits for another call to next level.

Hairston and the Toros are back in action Wednesday night at the Austin Convention Center hosting Anaheim.

timaios
01-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Snyder said Hairston has a lot to offer.

"He can really finish, he's explosive he can really get to the rim,” he said. “He's also got a nice floor game."

Hairston hasn't fallen off the Spurs’ radar.

Spurs really need that !!! :ihit

SenorSpur
01-20-2009, 09:21 AM
I'm really glad this kid is developing well and that he's in the pipeline for next season.

stxspurs
01-20-2009, 09:57 AM
sounds good

urunobili
01-20-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm really glad this kid is developing well and that he's in the pipeline for next season.

Next Season? I'd have him over Udoka on the active roster right now...

MaNu4Tres
01-20-2009, 10:59 AM
With all due respect to Michael Finley, I'd personally rather have an active player bringing energy off the bench. Instead of a set up shooter who basically brings nothing else but streaky shooting to the table.

SenorSpur
01-20-2009, 11:07 AM

So would I, but knowing Pop do you really expect him to make that change during the middle of a season?

SenorSpur
01-20-2009, 11:08 AM
With all due respect to Michael Finley, I'd personally rather have an active player bringing energy off the bench. Instead of a set up shooter who basically brings nothing else but streaky shooting to the table.

Agree again. But we're all too well aware of Pop's man-crush on Finley. Much to the detriment of team defense.

kenson-q
01-20-2009, 11:13 AM
What is the most important this guy can offer?He play D,apparently.

m33p0
01-20-2009, 11:26 AM
:clap

Obstructed_View
01-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Where's the dual duty if the Spurs haven't called him up?

Spurs Brazil
01-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks Bruno
Good video

EricB
01-20-2009, 02:02 PM

So have him sitting on the bench not playing, rather than playing heavy minutes every night?

Uh no.

xtremesteven33
01-20-2009, 02:06 PM
I wouldnt want him to take Fins minutes but i would rather him take Udokas place.

HarlemHeat37
01-20-2009, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't be against calling him up for a few games..not only to see what he's capable of, but at least to motivate Udoka a little..

it's not like trying him out for a few games will stunt his growth..if he looks raw, we send him back down and he works on his game..

again, it could be useful to motivate Ime..

Bruno
01-20-2009, 02:44 PM
If Spurs do with Hairston like they did with Mahinmi, he has a good chance of being called up this Sunday.

SenorSpur
01-20-2009, 03:24 PM
I wouldnt want him to take Fins minutes but i would rather him take Udokas place.

Hell I wouldn't mind if he took some of Fin's minutes. I just know that Pop wouldn't dare allow that to happen.

timvp
01-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Good news: Stat-wise, Hairston looks like a top five player in all of D-League and the best of any of the assigned players.

Bad news: If a player is featured on a D-League team, he's going to put up plenty of stats. The competition isn't great and if you have plays run for you consistently, it's pretty easy for even a player nowhere near NBA level to look like a superstar.

That said, couldn't ask for much more out of Hairston. He's still a longshot to make the NBA but it looks like he's successfully clearing this first of many hurdles.

P.S.

Great find, Bruno :tu

urunobili
01-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Hell I wouldn't mind if he took some of Fin's minutes. I just know that Pop wouldn't dare allow that to happen.

well... considering Pop's man crush on Fin... Malik is pretty similar body and face wise... :lol

SenorSpur
01-20-2009, 03:39 PM
well... considering Pop's man crush on Fin... Malik is pretty similar body and face wise... :lol

Maybe we could kidnap Fin and give Hairston #4. :lol

Manufan909
01-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Maybe we could kidnap Fin and give Hairston #4. :lol

Do it RC!!!

Bruno
01-20-2009, 05:07 PM
IMO, the most positive aspect about Hairston is that Spurs have decided to keep him for the whole year.

They have based their choice on :
- Pre-draft scouting.
- Two summer leagues with Spurs.
- Training camp with Spurs.
- Training camp + practices with Toros whose staff works for Spurs.
- D-League games. Toros have started their season by tons of home games, RC Buford and Denis Lindsey were often in Austin to watch them.
:downspin:

The logic says that the most a team scouts a player, the more accurate their evaluation of him is. If Spurs have kept Hairston, it's because they have seen something interesting in him and given the huge amount of info they have on him, they are likely right.

Austin_Toros
01-20-2009, 09:25 PM
And the spurs cut Hairston over Farmer! Sheesh!
This guy can REALLY help the spurs in the future. The Toros have some great talent on the team.

now that I agree with