PDA

View Full Version : NBA Mid Term Grades - Rosen

m33p0
01-20-2009, 01:32 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/9099638/NBA-mid-term-grades:-Western-Conference
i only picked the part of the spurs coz some butt-hurt faker fan is gonna cry foul.

As ever, the grades are not meant as a means of comparing teams to each other. Instead, they are an attempt to measure a team's performance against its own capabilities. So, no matter what a team's record might be, a C grade indicates that the team is right where it should be. Similarly, A's and B's signify teams that are overachieving, while D's and F's indicate underachievers.

There are no adjustments made for injuries, since virtually every ball club has had key players unavailable for various periods.

After being left for dead at the starting gate, SAN ANTONIO is sneaking up on everybody, but they seem to do this at least every other year. TD, TP, Manu G, and even Mike Finley keep on keeping on — and Roger Mason has been a miracle. Just another guy who knows how to win. Bet on the Spurs to have their game plan sharpened to a deadly edge come the playoffs. Grade: C-minus

Amuseddaysleeper
01-20-2009, 02:47 PM
C- is a little harsh for a team that was missing 2 key starters to begin the year, isn't quite up to par defensively, and yet maintains the #2 seed in the West.

I'd give them a B for just surviving the way they have.

At the start of the season we were trying to avoid the lottery, and now we're fighting the for the top seed in the west with a hell of a lot more room left for improvement.

C- is just a silly grade :td

DPG21920
01-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Not a thumbs down, bc if the entire article was posted it states clearly that a C means they are right where they are supposed to be.

tmtcsc
01-20-2009, 02:57 PM
I've been thrilled that we managed to do this well considering the early season injuries. But I also agree with Pop that at this point, our D sucks and not just a little. Our record is meaningless at this point and as Pop said is "fools gold".

DEFENSE wins championships and when we get the D back to the level we are accustomed to, the Spurs are going to be a very, very hard team to beat in a 7 game series. The offense is better than last year's and we have much more depth in the front court.

I give us a B-. Better than expected (record wise) but not where we need to be. We have not shut anybody down yet.

lefty
01-20-2009, 03:02 PM
C- doesn't make sense after reading what he wrote

Rosen is really dumb

DPG21920
01-20-2009, 03:05 PM
As ever, the grades are not meant as a means of comparing teams to each other. Instead, they are an attempt to measure a team's performance against its own capabilities. So, no matter what a team's record might be, a C grade indicates that the team is right where it should be. Similarly, A's and B's signify teams that are overachieving, while D's and F's indicate underachievers.

There are no adjustments made for injuries, since virtually every ball club has had key players unavailable for various periods.

hater
01-20-2009, 03:13 PM
what a fucking retard. c- after his praise???

I would give them a B+. they are #2 in the West after all the bad luck

phyzik
01-20-2009, 03:16 PM
how many people are going to post in this thread who dont know basic reading skills?

an A or a B would mean we are overachievers and not as good as our record states. A C grade is where a team is set right where they want to be, a D or F means you are playing crappy and should be doing much better then what you are.

If anything I think we should be given a D according to his grading system.

DPG21920
01-20-2009, 03:18 PM
how many people are going to post in this thread who dont know basic reading skills?

an A or a B would mean we are overachievers and not as good as our record states. A C grade is where a team is set right where they want to be, a D or F means you are playing crappy and should be doing much better then what you are.

Thank you.

SenorSpur
01-20-2009, 03:20 PM

Rosen is really dumb

I could box out the Prez and keep him off the boards.

Stump
01-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Well, the highest grade he gave anybody was a B, and he only gave three of those.

Even so, a pretty stupid grade.

angel_luv
01-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Who cares about midterms. It's Finals that count. :)

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-20-2009, 03:26 PM
The Spurs are slowly but surely looking like championship contenders following a rough start that saw their two star guards injured, a number of new faces, and new roles for returning veterans. David Robinson used to play there.

Grade: F-------------------------

phxspurfan
01-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Who cares about midterms. It's Finals that count. :)

Ohhh I see what you did there!

HarlemHeat37
01-20-2009, 03:31 PM
based on the criteria, I'd give us a D+..we've underachieved due to major injuries, lack of focus, and being lazy defensively..

Manufan909
01-20-2009, 03:45 PM
NEW YORK is inconsistent, but exciting. And that's enough to (almost) relegate the Zeke era to the ashcan of history. Chris Duhon is more productive in a team-concept than Twinkle-Twinkle-Little-Starbury ever was. David Lee has (almost) become an offensive force. Wilson Chandler is a burgeoning star. Al Harrington's erratic shooting keeps both teams in the game. And the unheralded return of Jared Jeffries has given the Knicks a legitimate (and versatile) defender. A great job thus far by the much-maligned (especially by me!) Mike D'Antoni. Grade: B-plus

I just had to post this one cuz I thought the sentence in bold was hilarious. And didn't some ST posters actually want him?

DPG21920
01-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Spurs would still love to have him if they did not have to give up anything significant.

Manufan909
01-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Spurs would still love to have him if they did not have to give up anything significant.

That could be said of many players, though. What decent big wouldn't Pop take for Vaughn, Ime, Oberto, and a bag of chips?

DPG21920
01-20-2009, 04:00 PM
You said didn't some spurs fans actually want him. No one said trade Duncan, Parker of Ginobili for him.

MoSpur
01-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Maybe a C+. Not a C -. The Spurs have lost to most of the very good teams they'ved faced.

stéphane
01-20-2009, 05:08 PM

At last, some people read, think and post in that order. Thank you.

We're playing spurs ball once every two games and barely beating some not so good teams. Basically the LA or Suns games pull a "tree that hide the forest" type of situation. We're REALLY far from where we want to be in terms of consistency on the defensive end, effort and mental toughness.
If you want to think you're watching awesome spurs ball that deserves an A in such an article, you haven't watched the spurs for long. :rolleyes

TDfan2007
01-20-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm sorry, but some of you guys (you know who you are) are in such a need to put these writers down that you don't even read the article before posting a reply...kind of sad.

mountainballer
01-20-2009, 06:36 PM
if all the people who bash Rosen for not automatically give the Spurs a AAA+++ had read the whole article and maybe even thought about it a bit, they might see that in fact this is a very good evaluation of the current standings.
btw. maybe it helps some of you to feel better: Celtics also got a C-.

exstatic
01-20-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm sorry, but some of you guys (you know who you are) are in such a need to put these writers down that you don't even read the article before posting a reply...kind of sad.

Rosen is really dumb

Rosen couldn't see what he wrote, because Phil Jackson's cock was in the way. He's a documented hater.

Yorae
01-20-2009, 08:08 PM
He just bashed Beno right there.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-20-2009, 08:29 PM
if all the people who bash Rosen for not automatically give the Spurs a AAA+++ had read the whole article and maybe even thought about it a bit, they might see that in fact this is a very good evaluation of the current standings.
btw. maybe it helps some of you to feel better: Celtics also got a C-.

Exactly.

Rosen is spot on - the Spurs are slightly behind where they should be, primarily due to the injuries and the new players learning the system.

He's also spot-on about the Lakers - very good team, but flaky at the end of games because Kobe will never trust his teammates the way he should. I wonder if he knows something about who they are shopping that he can't divulge?

m33p0
01-20-2009, 08:33 PM
rosen thinks the lakers right now are not a championship team. they have overachieved.

Biggems
01-20-2009, 08:34 PM
#2 in the West, #5 in the NBA with Manu and Parker missing like a month of the season each.

I would say their record is B+, but their play is C-. Their defense is horrible. They are settling for too many 3s, instead of attacking the basket and getting to the line more consistently. They don't block many shots and they are still not as effective on the glass as they need be.

Rummpd
01-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Spurs B and rising
Lakers A - right where they should be right now

Only teams in West that matter as they will meet again to decide WC.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Geez it would be nice if people would actually read Rosen's article so they understand how the grading system works. :rolleyes

mystargtr34
01-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Geez it would be nice if people would actually read Rosen's article so they understand how the grading system works. :rolleyes

Considering most analysts, as well as Spurs fans, were hoping for the Spurs to remain at or just above .500 until Manu came back - and the fact that Parker missed a good portion of the season, i think they should get a B- at least.

They're 28-13 remember. Given the circumstances, i would give them a B.

m33p0
01-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Considering most analysts, as well as Spurs fans, were hoping for the Spurs to remain at or just above .500 until Manu came back - and the fact that Parker missed a good portion of the season, i think they should get a B- at least.

rosen did not put injuries into consideration because almost all have dealt with injuries at one point or another in the season.

... and giving them a B (based on the grading system) meant they have overachieved which is something i wouldn't like.

HarlemHeat37
01-20-2009, 11:04 PM
that's kind of bullshit though, because there have only been a few teams with comparable injuries to us..Utah, maybe Denver, maybe Cleveland..

igruex
01-20-2009, 11:05 PM

Check out our past and upcoming schedule, maybe you should reconsider your statement.

mystargtr34
01-20-2009, 11:06 PM
rosen did not put injuries into consideration because almost all have dealt with injuries at one point or another in the season.

Then Ruff is right, maybe i should read his article.

Still, which other team was missing their second and third best players for half the season.

m33p0
01-20-2009, 11:06 PM
spurs are basically right where they are supposed to be especially if you look at their history. and that is fine by me.

that's kind of bullshit though, because there have only been a few teams with comparable injuries to us..Utah, maybe Denver, maybe Cleveland..
call him lazy then.

mystargtr34
01-20-2009, 11:12 PM
spurs are basically right where they are supposed to be especially if you look at their history. and that is fine by me.

call him lazy then.

Your right, this is about their mark each season - except they havent had their number 2 and 3 guys miss this much time before at this stage of the season.

Spurologist
01-20-2009, 11:12 PM
Hollinger then this ass clown. Stern apparently gives them a stipend for spurs haterization

mystargtr34
01-20-2009, 11:15 PM

Id say Utah is the only team who has suffered more than the Spurs injury-wise. It does make his article kind of bullshit and the analysis irrelevant if your going to judge without taking injuries into account.

Fair enough if the injured players are out for the entire year, then that will be the makeup of the team come playoff time. Players being out for a month or so is different. The Spurs expect to have them back and healthy.

m33p0
01-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Id say Utah is the only team who has suffered more than the Spurs injury-wise. It does make his article kind of bullshit and the analysis irrelevant if your going to judge without taking injuries into account.

Fair enough if the injured players are out for the entire year, then that will be the makeup of the team come playoff time. Players being out for a month or so is different. The Spurs expect to have them back and healthy.
knock... knock

who's there?

the rockets!

:lol

ElNono
01-20-2009, 11:29 PM
I really don't care if he gives the Spurs an A+++. Charlie Rosen is a hack.

mystargtr34
01-20-2009, 11:33 PM
knock... knock

who's there?

the rockets!

:lol

My bad, i forgot the Rockets. They're injured so much i forgot they had 2 former All-Stars on the roster.

Cry Havoc
01-20-2009, 11:35 PM
The problem with this rating system is that if you give a team an "A", which is normally thought of as a good grade, it means they've played out of their heads for the first half and you expect them to backslide. It's kind of a back-handed slap. A C- means we should actually be a little better in the second half of the season.

It's a stupid ratings system because you either say a team has sucked when it shouldn't or has done well when it shouldn't. Or, you know, you give them a C. There is no positive grade here.

In that stead, how do the Nuggets not get an A? Who would have picked them to be bucking for 2nd place in arguably the deepest 1-9 conference in NBA history?

peskypesky
01-20-2009, 11:46 PM
I give them an A-. To be first in their division and second in the Western Conference after missing Manu and Tony for big chunks of the season? That's pretty damn good if you ask me.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-21-2009, 03:01 AM
Remember those threads in which we were supposed to tank because we supposedly weren't going to make the playoffs and then the others in which a lot of people agreed that it'd be nice if we were around the .500 mark by the ASG, so that we can push on in the second half of the season?

Considering the circumstances we have overachieved big time and props to the team for that.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-21-2009, 04:04 AM
Hollinger then this ass clown. Stern apparently gives them a stipend for spurs haterization

If you read the article you'd know he wasn't hating on us.

Rosen has been critical of the Spurs in the past, but he's also been very complimentary at times. He calls it as he sees it. As for Hollinger, he's a stat geek who gets too caught up in his formulae, but I don't think he hates the Spurs either.

Morons like Mark Kiszla in Denver are the true Spur-haters.