PDA

View Full Version : Spurs should of pushed hard to get Mickael Pietrus this summer

The_Game
01-20-2009, 04:23 PM
He would of been perfect on this Spurs team. A good guy to replace Bruce Bowen with into the line-up.

Pietrus is a very good perimeter defender who can also score the ball and shoot from outside

He is averaging

11.7 points per game with 3 rebounds on 46% shooting and 37% from three. Obviously the Magic wouldn't trade him now considering how well they are doing but the Spurs should of made a stronger move to sign him before Orlando did.

Not saying Pietrus is the reason for the Magic turning from very good to contender but he has been a big piece in their team even though he has been injured lately. I believe he is back now.

suitedkings
01-20-2009, 04:30 PM
i kinda like the piece the Spurs got.

Brazil
01-20-2009, 04:30 PM
I agree, Pietrus profile fits well with the spurs : good defender, good shooter.

The last time I saw he is out till beginning of February.

Spurs Brazil
01-20-2009, 04:33 PM
It was Mason or Pietrus and I think the Spurs made the right choice

mexicanjunior
01-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Before the season started, I would have agreed but Mason has turned out to be a very clutch shooter, while Pietrus has been injured much of the season. That said, Pietrus does bring alot of skills that the Spurs could have used, a very athletic defender that attacks the rim well and shoots a good percentage of his 3's.

crc21209
01-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Thats ok I'm fine with Mason, his D is fine and his shooting is excellent. Plus Pietrus has just been hurt all damn year.

SenorSpur
01-20-2009, 04:51 PM
I felt the same way. In fact, I've brought his name up as a possible FA target some months back. The response was rather lukewarm.

In fact, this has not been the first time the Spurs have passed on Peitrus. Obviously, Spurs brass must not be very high on him. Orlando may have overpaid for hiim just a bit. Still, I actually thought he would've been a perfect replacment for Finley. I'm still happy the Spur chose Mason and there's no question HE was the right choice. Still, if there was a way they could've swapped out Pietrus for Finley and still signed Mason, I would've been on board with that too. A greedy, yet expensive thought, but what the hell.

EricB
01-20-2009, 04:51 PM
So you'd rather have the retarded pietrus that mason?

Gigantic fail....

stéphane
01-20-2009, 04:59 PM

Gigantic fail....

I wouldn't go that far man. :nope
I've played some pick ups with him back in his Pau's days and fo course he was a bit cocky but he's a good guy with the will to succeed. His athleticism is through the roof and his will to defend on the perimeter is awesome.
That said Mason has been outstanding so far and if he keeps playing at such a high level and produce comes may, the FO will be able to say they made the right choice.

SenorSpur
01-20-2009, 05:00 PM

Gigantic fail....

Absolutely not. Where did anyone say that?

I would rather have Peitrus over Finley.

AFBlue
01-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Yeah, I don't think the Spurs should've paid over a million more per season for the next 5 and ruined any realistic chance at adding a legitimate piece in 2010 to get Pietrus. Mason over the next two at $4M/yr is a MUCH better deal...and the Spurs couldn't have gotten both.

01-20-2009, 05:16 PM
there was no cap space to sign both. it would be much closer if pietrus wasn't injured for an extended amount of time. he actually plays pretty well when given good minutes. but mason is definitely the right choice. his play kept the spurs afloat when parker and ginobili were both out. pietrus has not proven to be clutch and would have only increased the amount of playing time vaughn got before the development of hill. mason is able to play point so he limited vaughn's minutes as well.

Duncan2177
01-20-2009, 05:28 PM
He would of been perfect on this Spurs team. A good guy to replace Bruce Bowen with into the line-up.

Pietrus is a very good perimeter defender who can also score the ball and shoot from outside

He is averaging

11.7 points per game with 3 rebounds on 46% shooting and 37% from three. Obviously the Magic wouldn't trade him now considering how well they are doing but the Spurs should of made a stronger move to sign him before Orlando did.

Not saying Pietrus is the reason for the Magic turning from very good to contender but he has been a big piece in their team even though he has been injured lately. I believe he is back now.

Pass

timvp
01-20-2009, 05:55 PM

I would rather have Peitrus over Finley.Not possible. Pietrus got the full MLE. Spurs used their MLE money on RMJ.

mountainballer
01-20-2009, 06:03 PM
as mentioned, there is no way to sign both Pietrus and Mason with the MLE and I also rather have Mason for 3.5 million than Pietrus for 5.3.
I also don't think that Pietrus would be a perfect fit. yes, he does some things well, but he really isn't a very smart player, can't handle the ball, fouls a lot and turns it over a lot. he also won't see an easy time to get his minutes back, Courtney Lee looked very good in the last weeks. he isn't the athlete Pietrus is, but he is just the better player overall and he als plays very good defense.
(btw. Lee and Mason are quite similar in many aspects of the game)

if there is a FA I'm somehow disappointed that the Spurs didn't push harder for, then it's the other GSW wing, Matt Barnes. I know, he isn't very popular in Spurs land, but hey, look what he delivers for a bargain of 800 K.
10.8 PPG and 5.6 RPG in just 27 MPG. shoots the 3 ball 5 times a game and hits it at a very nice 37%. hustles a lot, rebounds great for s SF, brings energy, doesn't always play the smartest defense, but does it with intensity.
Spurs easily could have outbid the Suns, the remaining 2 million of the MLE (for 2 years) should have got him here. he would currently be a very helpful piece on our roster.

mexicanjunior
01-20-2009, 06:05 PM
if there is a FA I'm somehow disappointed that the Spurs didn't push harder for, then it's the other GSW wing, Matt Barnes. I know, he isn't very popular in Spurs land, but hey, look what he delivers for a bargain of 800 K.
10.8 PPG and 5.6 RPG in just 27 MPG. shoots the 3 ball 5 times a game and hits it at a very nice 37%. hustles a lot, rebounds great for s SF, brings energy, doesn't always play the smartest defense, but does it with intensity.
Spurs easily could have outbid the Suns, the remaining 2 million of the MLE (for 2 years) should have got him here. he would currently be a very helpful piece on our roster.

I would have loved to see Barnes replace Finley in the rotation. Too bad it didn't work out that way...

sonic21
01-20-2009, 06:06 PM
decent player but low bball IQ

SenorSpur
01-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Not possible. Pietrus got the full MLE. Spurs used their MLE money on RMJ.

I know. I was just having a fantasy basketball moment.

NFGIII
01-20-2009, 06:45 PM
decent player but low bball IQ

My feelings, too. Great athlete but low IQ. Low IQs don't fit into the Spurs system. He would be in Pop's doghouse due to poor D IMHO. Have to admit though I've seen play some very good ball at times and he is an intriguing player. Unfortunately he is inconsistent right now. Mason seems to be the one that is going to work out better.

mogrovejo
01-20-2009, 07:03 PM
My feelings, too. Great athlete but low IQ. Low IQs don't fit into the Spurs system. He would be in Pop's doghouse due to poor D IMHO. Have to admit though I've seen play some very good ball at times and he is an intriguing player. Unfortunately he is inconsistent right now. Mason seems to be the one that is going to work out better.

True. Pietrus is just too dumb. And he leads the league in the "stepping out-of-bounds" category. Besides that, he's very injury prone, he's made of glass. Pietrus is like the socialized medicine of basketball - he looks better from distance.

Azubuike is a younger version than Pietrus (great athlete, low IQ) and he'd have been cheaper. Tony Allen is another example.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-20-2009, 07:10 PM
I would have loved to see Barnes replace Finley in the rotation. Too bad it didn't work out that way...

Me too, and it was possible because Barnes signed for the vet min at Phoenix.

At this point it's spilt milk though.

objective
01-20-2009, 07:13 PM
I liked Pietrus for the Spurs this past summer but this season makes me think the Spurs wouldn't have fully utilized him and his impact wouldn't be so good.

The Spurs have flubbed every opportunity this season to get Hill an alley-oop on fast breaks, usually ending up in missed shots or turnovers because no one is either able or willing to throw a competent lob pass. With Pietrus that would be a much more frequent occurance.

exstatic
01-20-2009, 07:56 PM
as mentioned, there is no way to sign both Pietrus and Mason with the MLE and I also rather have Mason for 3.5 million than Pietrus for 5.3.
I also don't think that Pietrus would be a perfect fit. yes, he does some things well, but he really isn't a very smart player, can't handle the ball, fouls a lot and turns it over a lot. he also won't see an easy time to get his minutes back, Courtney Lee looked very good in the last weeks. he isn't the athlete Pietrus is, but he is just the better player overall and he als plays very good defense.
(btw. Lee and Mason are quite similar in many aspects of the game)

Me too, and it was possible because Barnes signed for the vet min at Phoenix.

At this point it's spilt milk though.

IIRC, Kori said that the Spurs had Barnes in more than once for workouts in years past and he just didn't sign. He strongly prefers to be on the Left coast, and I guess Phoenix was as close as he could come this year.

manufor3
01-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Not possible. Pietrus got the full MLE. Spurs used their MLE money on RMJ.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-20-2009, 08:31 PM
BTW, that is "Spurs should HAVE...", not "of".

Austin_Toros
01-20-2009, 08:31 PM
it would have been sweet if we got him and would have fit in perfectly.
BUT mason has been unexpectedly good

exstatic
01-20-2009, 08:52 PM
BTW, that is "Spurs should HAVE...", not "of".

"Should've" sounds like "should of", so the grammatically challenged use them interchangeably.

GatorKid117
01-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Meh, Pietrus really hasn't been that impressive so far. Keeping in mind though he has missed half the season so far, us Magic fans can't really get a good read on him. Some of us feel he should return to the starting line-up b/c of his ability to guard the great wing players but then again we are undefeated when Courtney Lee starts. I feel like we have to wait until he returns and gets back into the flow b4 anyone makes a valid judgement. I'd be perfectly happy with RMJ if I were you.

Pietrus however does provide those moments of "wow" which amp up the team. But whatever, SG is the least important position on our team anyway :wow

The_Game
01-21-2009, 01:33 AM

Poor D? Pietrus is one of the top perimeter defenders around in this league.

EricB
01-21-2009, 02:26 AM

I would rather have Peitrus over Finley.

You couldn't sign Pietrus AND Mason.

THATS why.

EricB
01-21-2009, 02:27 AM
Poor D? Pietrus is one of the top perimeter defenders around in this league.

Uh no.