PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Bobcats - Jan. 19

timvp
01-20-2009, 05:42 PM
In an extremely physical battle against the Charlotte Bobcats, the San Antonio Spurs were able to escape victorious from another nail-biter. Up by two points in the closing seconds, Tim Duncan blocked a Raymond Felton runner and then watched Boris Diaw miss a wide open three-pointer at the buzzer.

The most important stretch of San Antonio’s 86-84 victory came with three and a half minutes to go in the game. With the Spurs down by a point, Duncan was double-teamed on the low block but found Manu Ginobili free for a three-pointer. After getting a stop, Ginobili sank another three on another assist from Duncan to give the Spurs a five-point lead they would never relinquish.

The Bobcats were surprisingly impressive. Larry Brown has his team playing hard. In fact, this was easily the most physical game the Spurs have played on the season. Two former Phoenicians did the most damage as Boris Diaw remained a headache for the Spurs in the low block and Raja Bell played lights out in the second half.

Overall, the Spurs have to be happy with their performance. The defense was solid and they were able to overcome abysmal shooting nights from beyond the arc and from the charity stripe. It wasn’t a beautiful game to behold but it was the type of grind-it-out battle the Spurs have perfected over the years.

Tim Duncan
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3173.jpg
36 minutes, 17 points, 11 rebounds, six assists, two blocks
6-for-13 from the field, 5-for-11 from the line

Tim Duncan wasn’t flashy but he was good enough. Although he struggled from the line, he kept attacking whenever he got the ball in good post position. His energy level on offense was on the low side but he came up with two key assists when the Spurs needed it most. Defensively, Duncan had a relatively good showing. He was aware of his responsibilities in terms of protecting the rim and picking up cutters down the lane. For the month of January, Duncan has passed the ball extremely well – averaging five assists and only two turnovers per game.
-------------------------------

Manu Ginobili
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3380.jpg
28 minutes, ten points, two rebounds, one assist
4-for-11 from the field, 2-for-5 on three-pointers

Up until the final four minutes of the game, Manu Ginobili hadn’t done much of anything. He was only 2-for-9 and wasn’t making a dent anywhere else on the stat sheet. Then, out of nowhere, Ginobili canned two huge three-pointers to give the Spurs the cushion they needed for the victory. Although it was otherwise a non-descript outing, he deserves credit for not turning the ball over and playing physical defense throughout.

Tony Parker
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg
34 minutes, 13 points, ten assists, two rebounds, two steals
3-for-11 from the field, 7-for-8 from the line

Tony Parker had a rare bad shooting night as he hit less than half of his attempts for the first time in six games. The good news is he remained aggressive and fought to get to the line eight times. He also dished out ten assists while only turning the ball over once. Defensively, Parker pressured the ball reasonably well and was sturdy when he was forced to switch onto bigger players. All in all, it wasn’t a game to remember but Parker helped far more than he hurt.

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg
29 minutes, 12 points, four rebounds
4-for-9 from the field, 2-for-6 on three-pointers, 2-for-4 from the line

For the second straight game, Roger Mason, Jr. seemed to be running in molasses on the defensive end. He did a poor job fighting through picks and even failed at simple close-outs on shooters. On offense, Mason was somewhat productive, although he had two uncharacteristic misses at the free throw line. With the rest of the team picking up their defensive effort, Mason needs to keep up or else Pop could quickly lose confidence in him.

Michael Finley
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3023.jpg
25 minutes, three points, five rebounds, two assists
1-for-9 from the field, 0-for-7 on three-pointers

Against the Bulls, Finley struggled early on and then found his shot in the fourth quarter. Against the Bobcats, Finley struggled early on and then continued to struggle in the fourth quarter. In his last four games, Finley is shooting just 22.6% from the field and 15.8% from three-point land. The good news is that his defense was a strength against Charlotte – especially when matched up with Gerald Wallace.

Matt Bonner
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg
16 minutes, five points, six rebounds
2-for-3 from the field, 1-for-2 on three-pointers

Matt Bonner was playing well offensively and rebounding the ball very well for the second straight game, but Pop was forced to relegate him to the pine due to poor defense. Bonner let Diaw do basically whatever he wanted without any hint of defense being played. At the very least, Bonner should have been more physical and kept Diaw from getting great position every time up the court. Hopefully this was a learning experience and Pop won’t have to make a habit of benching Bonner for poor defense.

Kurt Thomas
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3012.jpg
24 minutes, five points, four rebounds, two blocks
2-for-5 from the field

With Bonner struggling against Diaw, Thomas came in and saved the day. He made Diaw work down low and even was able to hang with him out on the perimeter. When he wasn’t defending Diaw, Thomas roamed the paint and was a shot blocking presence. On the other end he wasn’t as helpful but he aggressively looked for his shot, which helped spread the court when he was paired with Duncan.

George Hill
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4488.jpg
18 minutes, ten points, two rebounds
3-for-5 from the field, 4-for-5 at the line
0-for-3

George Hill was quietly one of the most important pieces to the win. He came off the bench and supplied boundless energy on both ends of the court. When it was obvious that many of the veterans were weary due to the busy schedule as of late, Hill supplied the needed injection of tenacity. Pop rewarded Hill by allowing him to play the first eight minutes of the fourth quarter. An interesting lineup that Pop used in the fourth consisted of Hill alongside both Parker and Ginobili. If Hill continues to improve, that could be a lineup we see more often.

Bruce Bowen
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3167.jpg
17 minutes, five points
2-for-2 from the field, 1-for-1 at the line

Although Bruce Bowen didn’t play a huge role, he was very helpful in terms of matching the physicality of the Bobcats. Specifically, he went mano-a-mano against Bell and assisted in cooling him off. On the offensive end, Bowen hit both of his shots from the field and his only free throw attempt. It was the first time since Jan .3 that Bowen hit multiple shots in a game.

Ime Udoka
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3501.jpg
11 minutes, four points, two rebounds
1-for-1 from the field, 2-for-2 at the line

Like usual, Ime Udoka came into the game and played poorly in his first few minutes. He was hesitant on the offensive end and was just getting in the way on the defensive end. Thankfully, Udoka improved in his second stint and produced at a decent clip in his seven fourth quarter minutes. It’d be nice if Udoka figured out how not to require a few minutes of warming up before being useful.

Fabricio Oberto
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3988.jpg
Two minutes, two points, one rebound, one block
1-for-2 from the field

Fabricio Oberto was once again granted a few minutes of first half action. This time, he was much more active. Oberto moved well offensively and even got a hand up to protect the rim a few times. It’ll be interesting to see if Pop eventually gives Oberto a sizeable role or if Oberto will be on the outside of the rotation looking in for the rest of the season.

Gregg Popovich
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/popovich_gregg030428.jpg

I thought Pop coached reasonably well. I don’t really like his fascination with always putting in Udoka at the first sign of trouble. I also probably would have given Bonner one last shot instead of benching him for the final 21 minutes of the game. That said, I really liked how Pop gave Hill extended playing time and rested the Big Three despite the tight nature of the contest. Going without any member of the Big Three on the court for the first four and a half minutes of the fourth quarter was extremely gutsy by Pop but it worked out quite nicely. That strategy allowed the role players to gain experience and for the Big Three to rest for the stretch run.

Offense

The offense was simply not that good. Ginobili’s two three-pointers late were huge shots but the execution down the stretch was iffy. With under a minute to go, Thomas fired up a long jumper that was ill-advised. On the final possession, Ginobili didn’t sufficiently run the shot clock down before initiating the play and that allowed the Bobcats plenty of time at the end. Thankfully Diaw missed the desperation three or else the poor execution at the end of the game on offense would have been at fault. For the night, the Spurs shot only 40.8% from the court, hit just 5-of-21 three-pointers and 23-of-34 free throws. On the plus side, getting to the line 34 times was great to see and the Spurs had 20 assists to only eight turnovers.

Defense

The Spurs had a lot to be proud about on the defensive end. They held the Bobcats to 36.3% shooting from the field – a much more Spurs-like defensive mark than we’ve seen in a while. The Spurs also did a good job of holding Charlotte to 5-of-14 shooting from beyond the three-point arc. However, the rest of the numbers aren’t so good. The Bobcats got to the line 28 times, had 19 assists, only nine turnovers and out-rebounded the Spurs 46-39.

Drive to Five

The Spurs play another back-to-back when the Indiana Pacers visit the AT&T Center on Tuesday night. Fatigue will be a factor but let’s hope the Spurs can get their third W in a row and continue their defensive ways.

Believe.

Sissiborgo
01-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Good game:fro

YODA
01-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Another great Recap TIMVP

Brazil
01-20-2009, 06:42 PM
I didnt see the game so thanks again for the recap, Oberto had very good number despite just 2 mi.

Whisky Dog
01-20-2009, 06:46 PM
What's with the bone headed mistakes in crunch time? 2nd straight game in a row that's happened, hopefully it was just fatigue. That Parker foul on Nocioni's 3 the other night almost made me want to declare war on France.

benefactor
01-20-2009, 06:58 PM
The Spurs also did a good job of holding Charlotte to 5-of-14 shooting from beyond the three-point arc.
This number is a bit deceptive. Charlotte had quite a few wide open looks that they flat missed.

2centsworth
01-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Bonner can't play defense and the Spurs have done a good job of hiding him thus far. Unfortunately, his lack of D is going to haunt us come playoff time.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-20-2009, 07:18 PM
What's with the bone headed mistakes in crunch time? 2nd straight game in a row that's happened, hopefully it was just fatigue. That INVISIBLE Parker foul on Nocioni's 3 the other night almost made me want to declare war on France.

Fixed. :)

Just like to reiterate that the Bobcats are a decent team - I've watched a fair bit of them this year and they have improved vastly as the season has gone on (a typical Brown-making-poor-team-respectable job), and particularly since the Diaw/Bell trade. They lack a true closer, and that crunch-time killer instinct that really good teams have, but they may just make the playoffs. Go Bobcats!

ManuTP9
01-20-2009, 07:23 PM
lol @ POP,s pic but yeah we should win this

Pauleta14
01-20-2009, 07:52 PM
What's with the bone headed mistakes in crunch time? 2nd straight game in a row that's happened, hopefully it was just fatigue. That Parker foul on Nocioni's 3 the other night almost made me want to declare war on France.

:lol

I'm wondering what kind of reaction/feeling you might have toward France when TP is clutch!!! (whitch happens more often than dumb plays...).
Personnaly you're welcome in Paris!:toast

Whisky Dog
01-21-2009, 01:58 AM
:lol

I'm wondering what kind of reaction/feeling you might have toward France when TP is clutch!!! (whitch happens more often than dumb plays...).
Personnaly you're welcome in Paris!:toast

Well, when he hit that game winning floater the other night I felt like drinking wine, eating croissants, and banging my European girlfriend until I couldn't stand.

Unfortunately I was only able to do one of those. Fortunately it was the one I really wanted to do.

Sexe avec femme francaise est une bonne!!

quentin_compson
01-21-2009, 02:51 AM
Thanks for the recap.

The defense looked good, but some very questionable decisions on the offensive end nearly cost us the game in the fourth quarter.

I also really like the way Timmy is distributing the ball this season (and especially the last couple of games).

:flag:

MoSpur
01-21-2009, 10:10 AM
That was a weird game. Both teams didn't seem interested in putting the ball in the hoop. They seemed more interested in beating each other up. It was physical and fun to watch.

HighLowLobForBig-50
01-21-2009, 10:36 AM
i said it before i'll say it again timvp>buck harvey

wildbill2u
01-21-2009, 10:53 AM
I thought Udoka was supposed to be a defensive stopper with a pretty good shot who would understudy to Bowen.

It sounds like this guy is not getting the job done this season. Is it because he's not getting the minutes or is he not getting the minutes because he sucks. Any opinions.

loveforthegame
01-21-2009, 11:28 AM
I thought Udoka was supposed to be a defensive stopper with a pretty good shot who would understudy to Bowen.

It sounds like this guy is not getting the job done this season. Is it because he's not getting the minutes or is he not getting the minutes because he sucks. Any opinions.

He's gotten the minutes but hasn't done a thing with them. He's missing shots, turning the ball over, and no where near the defender he was last year.

I know he's just a role player but I expected more from him. With him sucking and Pop intent on resting Bowen for the playoffs it's led to heavy minutes for Finley.

MoSpur
01-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Udoka has been a disappointment. I am still holding out a little hope to see if he can rebound from this disappointing season.

z0sa
01-21-2009, 11:44 AM

Any reports of this were simply false. Udoka does not possess the same body type or skillset Bowen possesses, despite both of their mentalities and reputations as lock down defenders. Bowen is very quick footed and handsy on the perimeter and his extreme fitness, along with his length, make him tough to shoot over. He's getting deflections a lot, even blocks here and there, and always recovering well off of screens. His most underrated ability IMO is his ball denial, one of the best ever at denying a player the ball in his comfort zone. On offense, Bowen stretches the floor but has really worked on using fakes and his own three point touch to open the floor for a better shot on a kickout.

Udoka is much less quick footed on the perimeter and if he tried to hang with a guy like Rip, moving without the ball and/or coming off screens, he's going to have a tough night. But guys like Carmelo, he's probably better against than Bowen (at least nowadays), due to their physical nature in the low block. Udoka is excellent at denying the ball on the block unless the man he's defending is several inches taller or is pushed out to the 15-18 foot area. Udoka is also a strong rebounder for his size. His offense is miles past Bowen, but this season he's been mired in a shooting slump and even those open looks he's been getting don't seem like money. The jury's still out but he holds a skillset we'll need come the playoffs, especially with Pop fascination for SmallBalls.

The jury is still out on Udoka. He played great in last season's PO, and I think he can do it again. Remember he was starting a few games earlier in the season, even though that was when Manu was injured (and Parker, but not sure if he was still starting). He's got a fairly well rounded offensive game if he could dunk or hit a layup every so often instead of getting blocked horribly by some unathletic white dude.

de Soto
01-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Duncan is the ONLY constant in this team. That is -and should be- a little disconcerting.