PDA

View Full Version : A call for Unity and Change...

Darrin
01-21-2009, 10:38 AM
A call for change and unity means that we no longer stay with the system we have. I think we'll admit that the Caucasian male has been the predominant deciding factor in our policy towards difference and tolerance since the dawn of the nation. If we need a change, then the white man, including me, must change.

So let us start a discussion today. When I think of a man in America, my predmominant image is that of a white male. Call me small-minded, but I grew up in a relatively white community. My standards were set and the politics of race were formed in that conservative mid-west community. We too often had racist opinions openly expressed in our school halls. We too often said nothing about them.

All I had to teach me about race was the myth and history book. In my adult life I have come to realize just how stilted I was, how shameful it feels today that I grew up in such bigoted surroundings. It softened my view of right and wrong.

It simply means that I view race as a seperate class. Where President Obama challenges us to see only Americans and not tribes, I have to make an effort to meet that standard. It is my personal struggle.

I hope you'll discuss frankly today your own story of what molded your attitudes on race.

doobs
01-21-2009, 10:47 AM
white devil

clambake
01-21-2009, 10:50 AM
i was raised in N. ireland. i didn't have time to consider skin color, other than oppressive white guys we had to fry.

fyatuk
01-21-2009, 11:28 AM
I hope you'll discuss frankly today your own story of what molded your attitudes on race.

I rarely notice race anymore (at least not immediately). I was raised in a mixed neighborhood, most of my best friends have been races other than mine, I'm actually not attracted to women of the same race as me for the most part, and my mom would have slapped the crap out of me if I had shown any sign of racist behaviour or even racial stereotyping.

My family is a different story, which is why I have little to do with them anymore.

But you're pinning it all on the "white man," which is complete BS. Some of the most racist people I've met are black and hispanic. Change needs to come from all groups, all classes. We're not going to get over race as long as we're forced to think about it by the government (school admission guidelines, racial "quotas" for hiring practices, availability of federal aid, etc), anyway, though.

Crookshanks
01-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Oh stop it with the "white man's guilt" crap! People are responsible for their own lives and they need to stop blaming others for poor decisions they've made.

"Rev" Al Sharpton, "Rev" Jesse Jackson, "Rev" Jeremiah Wright - some of the most racist people in America. Also - Obama is HALF white - yet everyone calls him the 1st black President - so they're totally negating his white ethnicity - couldn't that be considered racist?

fyatuk
01-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Obama is HALF white - yet everyone calls him the 1st black President - so they're totally negating his white ethnicity - couldn't that be considered racist?

By legal definition he's black. We've had other white Presidents before (43 of them), so that part of his ancestory isn't a historical precedent. It's not like their "negating" his white ancestory, it's just a non-story.

Besides, do you want to refer to him as the first half-breed (or whatever term you prefer) President and wait for someone 100% black to earn the first black Pres title?

I still find it kind of stupid, though. I don't care that he's the first black president, or someone in the future will be the first Hispanic, the first Asian, the first female presidents. What matters is he's the 44th President.

DarkReign
01-21-2009, 12:31 PM
I have zero "white guilt". I am not responsible in any way for the wrongs of my predecessors (which is funny because my family immigrated to America sometime in the 1880s, and my mother's side before the rise of the Nazi party in Germany).

Nor will I accept someone who suggests so. Its prepostorous.

Here I was having a conversation about how my generation (born in 1980) might be the first non-racist generation in America. I grew up with rap music, which like it or not (i dislike hip-hop/rap to the Nth degree) had a huge impact on American culture. It opened my young, white-surburbanite eyes to a sub-section of society I had no idea existed (I was 10, cut me some slack).

So, of course I will readily admit that black people have been dealt a very shitty hand when all things are considered. I also completely understand that the vestiges of racism and segregation are not completely eradicated.

But lets be realistic. It is a far better country to be a minority in than any other, period. Unequivocally and Im sorry, it isnt even close. How do you think my white-skin would fare in China? Japan (notoriously racist and xenophobic)? India (eh, maybe not o bad)? How about this....a country in Africa not named South Africa?

Do you think I would be elected to public office? Hold any position of power? Have the same access to public education and welfare?

I dont know the answers to those questions, but I can say "I friggin doubt it".

Why is that? Name one other country where a minority of less than 13% of the population is so well represented in all levels of government. Maybe there is, but again, I friggin doubt it.

No, I dont think I have any introspection to do on this subject at all. I have always accepted people for who they are since I was old enough to know my grandparents were racist, small-minded relics. It didnt take very much conditioning, it just took a conscious effort to forget what stereotypes I heard throughout my upbringing about minorities. I was about 12 at the time and can say with no problem, it was resolved and true-spirited by 13-14ish.

Now let me say, I still laugh a the occasional black joke. But thats my dumb, dark humor at play. I laugh at dumb, dorky white people too. Gay people also.

But thats more a life philosophy of mine than naything else. "If you cant laugh at yourself, you cannot laugh at somebody else." Basically, if you cant take being the butt of a joke, then you have no business being entertained by any form of entertainment on this planet. Because half of life's comedy is predicated on the existence of other people and their misadventures.

Spurminator
01-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Also - Obama is HALF white - yet everyone calls him the 1st black President - so they're totally negating his white ethnicity - couldn't that be considered racist?

Yeah, his half whiteness is totally relevant and overlooked. Sixty years ago, his white half would have given him a pass to use white restrooms, water fountains and public schools in the south. Also, he would have had 4/5ths of a vote instead of 3/5ths like them full-breeds.

Are you this fucking stupid?

Don't answer. Just think on it.

braeden0613
01-21-2009, 01:35 PM
I have zero "white guilt". I am not responsible in any way for the wrongs of my predecessors (which is funny because my family immigrated to America sometime in the 1880s, and my mother's side before the rise of the Nazi party in Germany).

Nor will I accept someone who suggests so. Its prepostorous.

Here I was having a conversation about how my generation (born in 1980) might be the first non-racist generation in America. I grew up with rap music, which like it or not (i dislike hip-hop/rap to the Nth degree) had a huge impact on American culture. It opened my young, white-surburbanite eyes to a sub-section of society I had no idea existed (I was 10, cut me some slack).

So, of course I will readily admit that black people have been dealt a very shitty hand when all things are considered. I also completely understand that the vestiges of racism and segregation are not completely eradicated.

But lets be realistic. It is a far better country to be a minority in than any other, period. Unequivocally and Im sorry, it isnt even close. How do you think my white-skin would fare in China? Japan (notoriously racist and xenophobic)? India (eh, maybe not o bad)? How about this....a country in Africa not named South Africa?

Do you think I would be elected to public office? Hold any position of power? Have the same access to public education and welfare?

I dont know the answers to those questions, but I can say "I friggin doubt it".

Why is that? Name one other country where a minority of less than 13% of the population is so well represented in all levels of government. Maybe there is, but again, I friggin doubt it.

No, I dont think I have any introspection to do on this subject at all. I have always accepted people for who they are since I was old enough to know my grandparents were racist, small-minded relics. It didnt take very much conditioning, it just took a conscious effort to forget what stereotypes I heard throughout my upbringing about minorities. I was about 12 at the time and can say with no problem, it was resolved and true-spirited by 13-14ish.

Now let me say, I still laugh a the occasional black joke. But thats my dumb, dark humor at play. I laugh at dumb, dorky white people too. Gay people also.

But thats more a life philosophy of mine than naything else. "If you cant laugh at yourself, you cannot laugh at somebody else." Basically, if you cant take being the butt of a joke, then you have no business being entertained by any form of entertainment on this planet. Because half of life's comedy is predicated on the existence of other people and their misadventures.
:tu

The Reckoning
01-21-2009, 02:18 PM
skinny, anglo smokers are an endangered species

FreeMason
01-21-2009, 02:21 PM
I have no cracker guilt complex nor will I let government/society brainwash me into feeling guilty for no reason.

Any man only deserves what he works for. Period.

I completely understand the game that is being played.

DarkReign
01-21-2009, 02:25 PM
skinny, anglo smokers are an endangered species

Apparently, yes...

spurster
01-21-2009, 02:33 PM
I hope you'all send your anti-racist sentiments to the Texas Republicans senators who are trying to reimplement the poll tax under the guise of a voter ID law.

Wild Cobra
01-21-2009, 03:00 PM
I hope you'all send your anti-racist sentiments to the Texas Republicans senators who are trying to reimplement the poll tax under the guise of a voter ID law.

The details of all such things I have seen have reduced and free ID for such purposes as not to disenfranchise people. The only ones disenfranchised are the illegals!

Those 'in the know' saying otherwise, know the illegal votes benefit liberals!

fyatuk
01-21-2009, 03:07 PM

Dude, that's not racist, it's classist (anti-poor, not anti-race).

Of course, 1) state (or military) issued photo ID SHOULD be required to vote and 2) state issued photo ID (not DL, ID) should be FREE once you hit 18.

Wild Cobra
01-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Dude, that's not racist, it's classist (anti-poor, not anti-race).

Of course, 1) state (or military) issued photo ID SHOULD be required to vote and 2) state issued photo ID (not DL, ID) should be FREE once you hit 18.

You forget...

Libtards think that anything that *might* have an effect of a minority is racist!

ratm1221
01-21-2009, 03:18 PM
The details of all such things I have seen have reduced and free ID for such purposes as not to disenfranchise people. The only ones disenfranchised are the illegals!

I'm actually really surprised you even know what the poll tax was. WC must have started furiously reading up on history on the internets after he got called schooled the other day.

Wild Cobra
01-21-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm actually really surprised you even know what the poll tax was. WC must have started furiously reading up on history on the internets after he got called schooled the other day.

I know what a poll tax (http://definitions.uslegal.com/p/poll-tax/) is. You apparently don't!

I assumed it was the same complaint that always arises when a person must present a valid ID and ID's cost money.

Now please, just how is that a poll tax? Is it a special ID to only allow you to vote, or a tamper proof ID to decrease voter fraud? Then... are they not free to poor people?

Show me the details before I can agree it's a poll tax.

Now... If you think that not knowing everything is being 'schooled,' then you are even more libtarded than I originally thought!

spurster
01-21-2009, 03:39 PM

There have been very very few illegal votes that would have been reversed by voter ID laws. There have been many investigations into this "problem" with very little to show for them. Here is one link describing investigations in Bexar County.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/columnists/jaime_castillo/37780404.html

As for the cost, my understanding is that the Texas bills would not provide for free IDs.

ClingingMars
01-21-2009, 03:40 PM

what? so ACORN can work the system again?

-Mars

Wild Cobra
01-21-2009, 03:44 PM
There have been very very few illegal votes that would have been reversed by voter ID laws. There have been many investigations into this "problem" with very little to show for them. Here is one link describing investigations in Bexar County.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/columnists/jaime_castillo/37780404.html

As for the cost, my understanding is that the Texas bills would not provide for free IDs.
The problem is that the numbers cannot be determined. The loopholes are so large. When you get to states like mine, and it's impossible to do any valid checking. We have vote-by-mail with absolutely no verification process. Rampant voter fraud most certainly happens, but there are no statistics because there is zero enforcement.

clambake
01-21-2009, 03:56 PM
well darrin....there's your answer about unity and change.

DarkReign
01-21-2009, 04:06 PM

Bam.

ClingingMars
01-21-2009, 04:08 PM

forgive us for expressing our opinions. take away the 1st amendment while you're at it.

-Mars

fyatuk
01-21-2009, 04:15 PM

That's what I've heard and the only reason I disagree with it.

Wild Cobra
01-21-2009, 04:21 PM
That's what I've heard and the only reason I disagree with it.
Now if it's true that the poor cannot get the new ID's for free, then I agree too, under current laws.

However...

I do believe the constitution needs amended. I believe in a poll tax for the purpose of keeping people from voting in politicians that give them freebies...

Maybe that's not the best solution, but this nation will self-destruct at some point in the future with increased social programs. Something needs to be done about it.

Darrin
01-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Oh stop it with the "white man's guilt" crap! People are responsible for their own lives and they need to stop blaming others for poor decisions they've made.

"Rev" Al Sharpton, "Rev" Jesse Jackson, "Rev" Jeremiah Wright - some of the most racist people in America. Also - Obama is HALF white - yet everyone calls him the 1st black President - so they're totally negating his white ethnicity - couldn't that be considered racist?

You are shouting down an attempt at a genuine conversation about this topic by labeling it 'white guilt.' I would define white guilt as overcompensation for racism. This is simply attempting to share my personal struggles with this topic and asking others to do the same.

Realize that we are what we inherit. What we inherit sets the standards of norms in our world; it shapes how we think. For instance, I only speak and write English because it is what I inherited. I can't imagine calling defining 'blue' as 'bleu' in my mind. I can call it bleu, but my mind first identifies it as blue.

This is an attempt to redefine our cultural standard. Racism lives in our languages and our institutions. We are reverent to a past that valued it.

ChumpDumper
01-21-2009, 05:25 PM
I believe in a poll taxAnd slavery.
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=8523&dateline=1231797908

The Reckoning
01-21-2009, 05:28 PM
And slavery.
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=8523&dateline=1231797908

and 700,000 lives were paid for it.

Darrin
01-21-2009, 05:34 PM
:depressed:depressed

DarrinS
01-21-2009, 07:49 PM
Liberal white guilt thread.

DarrinS
01-21-2009, 07:51 PM
Actually, one of the positives of an Obama presidency will be a nail in the "race card" coffin.

Personally, I'm sick of hearing about it. People of my generation (under 40) don't really have that much to bitch about. Our parents and grandparents generation? Well, that's a different story.

Winehole23
01-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Personally, I'm sick of hearing about it. People of my generation (under 40) don't really have that much to bitch about. Our parents and grandparents generation? Well, that's a different story.Ever been to jail, or to visit someone in prison?

Well, that's a different story.

Winehole23
01-21-2009, 08:40 PM
The demise of racism has been unduly exaggerated. Feeling guilty about it is neither here nor there for me. I don't care whether people feel guilty. The only thing that matters is giving people respect.

But pretending racism no longer exists is asinine -- particularly for posters still wishing to play the race card against African-Americans.

MannyIsGod
01-21-2009, 11:15 PM
But lets be realistic. It is a far better country to be a minority in than any other, period. Unequivocally and Im sorry, it isnt even close.

What do I get if I can name a country or countries were minorities are better off?

MannyIsGod
01-21-2009, 11:24 PM
Personally, I'm sick of hearing about it. People of my generation (under 40) don't really have that much to bitch about. Our parents and grandparents generation? Well, that's a different story.

Then why do minorities lag behind in every statistical indicator?

DarkReign
01-21-2009, 11:53 PM
What do I get if I can name a country or countries were minorities are better off?

Shit, I dont know. A cookie? All my vbookie cash that I dont use?

I am just interested in the example. I for one didnt think it exists or that the parallels are going to be the same, but I am definitely all ears and totally ready to admit being wrong.

MannyIsGod
01-21-2009, 11:56 PM
I don't know off the top of my head, but I'm fairly certain the US is not the best but we'll find out once I look at figures. I'm too braindead too do it right now though.

Wild Cobra
01-22-2009, 12:23 AM
and 700,000 lives were paid for it.
And in the process, we lost States Rights.

ChumpDumper
01-22-2009, 12:27 AM
Never had them, the notion of states' rights was just an invented rationale to protect...

...slavery.

We all know how you miss that.

Winehole23
01-22-2009, 01:27 AM
Never had them, the notion of states' rights was just an invented rationale to protect...Though John C. Calhoun (http://www.studyworld.com/John_C_Calhoun.htm) may have been it's highest expression, secession fever did rage briefly in New England in the 1820's, mostly due to the exaggerated political influence of southern men in politics, but it was partly also prompted by crass mercantile interests in the North.

As made clear in the bio linked above, John C. Calhoun was changeable, and got his start as an ardent nationalist. He was a latecomer to states rights. The explanation given in the bio is that he was always loyal to his state and fiercely promoted its best interest.

Which included rights in man.

The Civil War decided that question once and for all.

There's one way out of the Union. Feet first.

Winehole23
01-22-2009, 05:28 AM
Then why do minorities lag behind in every statistical indicator?Rilly?

Asian-Americans?

whottt
01-22-2009, 06:53 AM
I don't know off the top of my head, but I'm fairly certain the US is not the best but we'll find out once I look at figures. I'm too braindead too do it right now though.

I'll give you a country with a better one...how about Mexico, that is if you're white...or American.

Now what?

Become like Mexco?

DarkReign
01-22-2009, 09:23 AM

Well, if and when you do, I'd be very interested.

DarrinS
01-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Then why do minorities lag behind in every statistical indicator?

At some point, people have to pick themselves up by their own bootstraps and EARN their way in this world.

I was just another low-income kid from the west side. I'm not where I'm at now just because I'm a white boy.

People use "racism" as an excuse for failure.

DarrinS
01-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Ever been to jail, or to visit someone in prison?

Well, that's a different story.

Wow. Everyone in jail is there because they're black or brown? Did anyone commit a crime? I'm not sure I follow your argument.

MannyIsGod
01-23-2009, 10:13 AM
At some point, people have to pick themselves up by their own bootstraps and EARN their way in this world.

I was just another low-income kid from the west side. I'm not where I'm at now just because I'm a white boy.

People use "racism" as an excuse for failure.

So you're saying minorities lag behind because they are lazy? Interesting.

MannyIsGod
01-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Wow. Everyone in jail is there because they're black or brown? Did anyone commit a crime? I'm not sure I follow your argument.

Your initial argument is that everything is equal. Well for some reason prisons have a disproportionate number of minorities within them. That doesn't seem to say equality.

DarrinS
01-23-2009, 10:49 AM
So you're saying minorities lag behind because they are lazy? Interesting.

Yes.

Sincerely,

Chris Rock

DarrinS
01-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Your initial argument is that everything is equal. Well for some reason prisons have a disproportionate number of minorities within them. That doesn't seem to say equality.

Minorities commit a disproportionate number of crimes, especially against each other.

MannyIsGod
01-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Yes.

Sincerely,

Chris Rock

Well at least you admit you're racist.

MannyIsGod
01-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Minorities commit a disproportionate number of crimes, especially against each other.

Ok, but why? Are minorities simply more inclined to criminal behavior than whites? Do policies such as crack formerly carrying harsher penalties than cocaine have anything to do with this?

2centsworth
01-23-2009, 11:28 AM
minorities have got to begin not caring about what others think and take responsibility for themselves. I'm a Puerto Rican and the only time I care what others think is in business, but that's business and not personal.

If DarrinS wants to think I'm more apt to criminal activity because I'm a minority or if Chump thinks he is inherently better off than me because he's white, it doesn't matter.

My life is my own.

DarrinS
01-23-2009, 11:46 AM
minorities have got to begin not caring about what others think and take responsibility for themselves. I'm a Puerto Rican and the only time I care what others think is in business, but that's business and not personal.

If DarrinS wants to think I'm more apt to criminal activity because I'm a minority or if Chump thinks he is inherently better off than me because he's white, it doesn't matter.

My life is my own.

Well said.

I don't think minorities are more apt to be criminal, I'm just stating the fact that more crimes are committed by minorities.

It's also a fact that more heinous crimes, particularly serial murder, are commited by white males. That doesn't make me racist against white males, it's just stating a fact.

I'd bet you anything that I would like both you and Manny in real life, even if way may differ politically. I'm just tired of people in my generation (younger than 40) continually using racism as an excuse. Obama should be proof that race is not an issue. Isn't just the thought that "the man" is out to "get you" a defeatist belief system?

2centsworth
01-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Well said.

I don't think minorities are more apt to be criminal, I'm just stating the fact that more crimes are committed by minorities.

It's also a fact that more heinous crimes, particularly serial murder, are commited by white males. That doesn't make me racist against white males, it's just stating a fact.

I'd bet you anything that I would like both you and Manny in real life, even if way may differ politically. I'm just tired of people in my generation (younger than 40) continually using racism as an excuse. Obama should be proof that race is not an issue. Isn't just the thought that "the man" is out to "get you" a defeatist belief system?

i exaggerated about you to illustrate the point.:toast

DarrinS
01-23-2009, 12:02 PM
i exaggerated about you to illustrate the point.:toast

I didn't take offense. :toast

MannyIsGod
01-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Its not an excuse. You say you're tired of people using racism as an excuse yet you don't provide a reasoning for why minorities commit more crimes (or are convicted of more crimes anyway).

I hear what Pete is saying and I completely agree that every man is in charge of his own life and what he makes of it. There is no doubt that minorities often don't make decisions that could help lead them to success. What does piss me off to no end is that minorities have to be much better than average to succeed in this world. You think George Bush's stupid ass ever gets into office if he's a black C student who can't speak proper English?

When people try to say that things are equal now they're full of shit, Darrin. Those claims do a big disservice to a lot of people who suffer through unequal conditions. There should not be a pass given to minorities who commit crimes or make poor decisions in general, but it must be acknowledged America has a long way to go before we can say things are equal. Having a chance to succeed does not necessarily mean we all have the SAME chance to succeed.

2centsworth
01-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Its not an excuse. You say you're tired of people using racism as an excuse yet you don't provide a reasoning for why minorities commit more crimes (or are convicted of more crimes anyway).

I hear what Pete is saying and I completely agree that every man is in charge of his own life and what he makes of it. There is no doubt that minorities often don't make decisions that could help lead them to success. What does piss me off to no end is that minorities have to be much better than average to succeed in this world. You think George Bush's stupid ass ever gets into office if he's a black C student who can't speak proper English?

the 2000 election had more to do with Image than race. Colin Powell would have be the republican nominee if he wanted it. After Powell bowed out, the Republicans decided to nominate someone who they thought was electable based on likability and appearance. Otherwise, our best option at the time was Steve Forbes, but his mug made him unelectable.

When people try to say that things are equal now they're full of shit, Darrin. Those claims do a big disservice to a lot of people who suffer through unequal conditions. There should not be a pass given to minorities who commit crimes or make poor decisions in general, but it must be acknowledged America has a long way to go before we can say things are equal. Having a chance to succeed does not necessarily mean we all have the SAME chance to succeed.minorities do have an equal chance, but we're starting from way behind. Doesn't matter, the past is the past and the opportunities are equal IMO. Your ability to make people money or happy is the great equalizer!

DarrinS
01-23-2009, 12:12 PM

I don't have an answer.

I hear what Pete is saying and I completely agree that every man is in charge of his own life and what he makes of it. There is no doubt that minorities often don't make decisions that could help lead them to success. What does piss me off to no end is that minorities have to be much better than average to succeed in this world.

That's such fucking bullshit. I'm an engineer and I've worked with Asians and Hispanics, but do you know how many African-Americans? ZERO. When I was in engineering school, there was not ONE black person in the college of engineering. NOT ONE. You know how many black people have even APPLIED to work for my company? ZERO.

You think George Bush's stupid ass ever gets into office if he's a black C student who can't speak proper English?

I agree that GWB is dumb and he probably got a lot in life because of his family. By the way, America has been ready for a black president (or any other minority) for a long time. It's just that no COMPETENT minority has ever RUN. Jesse Jackson? Please. :rolleyes Al Sharpton? Please. :rolleyes

When people try to say that things are equal now they're full of shit, Darrin. Those claims do a big disservice to a lot of people who suffer through unequal conditions.

Spare me.

Having a chance to succeed does not necessarily mean we all have the SAME chance to succeed.

Yes. You are correct. Wealthy people have a better chance than the poor, but I've never let my humble beginnings keep me down.

doobs
01-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Racism still exists in this country. But the idiots in prison are there because of their own actions, not because of "the man" and his racism.

It's OK, though. Obama's gonna change it.

pAlrSRVdKZY

2centsworth
01-23-2009, 12:30 PM
quick anecdote:

charitable organization went to penitentiary offering free mothers day cards and gave away 300 cards. same organization went back to offer fathers day cards and gave away ZERO!

MannyIsGod
01-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Racism still exists in this country. But the idiots in prison are there because of their own actions, not because of "the man" and his racism.

It's OK, though. Obama's gonna change it.

pAlrSRVdKZY

How are you a lawyer when you make almost every single one of your points so poorly? I don't get it.

MannyIsGod
01-23-2009, 12:36 PM
minorities do have an equal chance, but we're starting from way behind. Doesn't matter, the past is the past and the opportunities are equal IMO. Your ability to make people money or happy is the great equalizer!

I do really believe this. But I strongly believe that there are still a lot of problems that need to be corrected and everywhere I look I still see the residue of centuries of discrimination which I feel is the responsibility of this country to fix.

Given enough time, these problems will probably work themselves out. I just feel waiting for that to happen on its own is wrong.

MaNuMaNiAc
01-23-2009, 12:37 PM
How are you a lawyer when you make almost every single one of your points so poorly? I don't get it.

perhaps he's not a trial lawyer

MannyIsGod
01-23-2009, 12:38 PM
perhaps he's not a litigator

Perhaps he's just not so bright and only got to where he is because of his father?

:stirpot:

2centsworth
01-23-2009, 12:46 PM
I do really believe this. But I strongly believe that there are still a lot of problems that need to be corrected and everywhere I look I still see the residue of centuries of discrimination which I feel is the responsibility of this country to fix.

Given enough time, these problems will probably work themselves out. I just feel waiting for that to happen on its own is wrong.

unfortunately there are many people who limit themselves by the residue when there is a world of opportunity waiting for them. IMO, it's a way not to take personal responsibility, which is a disease in this country.

MaNuMaNiAc
01-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Perhaps he's just not so bright and only got to where he is because of his father?

:stirpot:

:lol

2centsworth
01-23-2009, 12:49 PM
:lol

do you regularly waste bandwidth? do you have something to say or just want to jerk off manny?

MaNuMaNiAc
01-23-2009, 01:14 PM
do you regularly waste bandwidth? do you have something to say or just want to jerk off manny?

Why don't you go get bent, bitch! Yeah, I've got something to say. How about how mindnumbingly stupid it is to pretend everything is black or white, and that the old adage of "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" is all anyone needs to get ahead in life? All the while ignoring blaring evidence of inequality and discrimination that goes on everyday. How about that?

P.S. If you didn't get the joke, then that's your problem. I find you and everybody else in this thread arguing that equality has been reached to be the biggest joke of all.

ChumpDumper
01-23-2009, 03:09 PM
How are you a lawyer when you make almost every single one of your points so poorly? I don't get it.He's probably white.