PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs have unprecedented depth now

de Soto
01-21-2009, 11:36 AM
...only the sharpest edge is missing. I think that with one BIG man in the $10 million/yr category added to the mix, the Spurs would be right on track for #5. And to repeat the following year. There's still a lot of MVP left in Duncan and Manu is starting to look like the Manu of the old. I hope the FO does the right thing instead of solely looking for the next great bargain.

:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

FreeMason
01-21-2009, 11:43 AM
biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiird man man man man

JWest596
01-21-2009, 12:58 PM
We are talking about the most fiscal minded team in the NBA short of Donald Sterling.

they aren't going to go into a salary cap hell and IMO, the pickings out there don't warrant it. They'll keep looking in Joske's bargain basement. (Obtuse)

eisfeld
01-21-2009, 01:21 PM
...only the sharpest edge is missing. I think that with one BIG man in the $10 million/yr category added to the mix, the Spurs would be right on track for #5. And to repeat the following year. There's still a lot of MVP left in Duncan and Manu is starting to look like the Manu of the old. I hope the FO does the right thing instead of solely looking for the next great bargain.

In the 10 Million category? Pipe-Dream. We can't acquire such a player via trade without giving up 3 players and we can't sign one. the very best option we have is acquiring a guy making about 3-5 millions/year.

de Soto
01-21-2009, 01:40 PM
I would guess that the appreciation in team's value ($$$) after #5 would greatly offset the costs of acquiring a bona fide kickass big man. What other investments are out there now for the obscenely rich? 95% of Miami Dolphins just sold for $1 billion.:wow

m33p0
01-21-2009, 01:50 PM
spurs don't need a big worth $10m. that's way too much and would mean the loss of someone of value to the spurs.

Cry Havoc
01-21-2009, 02:18 PM

Typical de Soto post, completely devoid of anything knowledgeable.

de Soto, meet salary cap. Salary cap, de Soto.

EricB
01-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Typical de Soto post, completely devoid of anything knowledgeable.

de Soto, meet salary cap. Salary cap, de Soto.

Introduce him to common sense as well.

Thanks.

z0sa
01-21-2009, 02:45 PM
You got the 20 million de Soto? What do you mean you only said 10 million? Well there's this thing called the luxury tax that charges owners a dollar for every dollar they are over the salary cap.

The Mavs hate was funny, but seriously this is fail :td

Galileo
01-21-2009, 02:56 PM
I agree with this post.

After the big three we are loaded with good role players.

We can mix and match for each game to see who starts.

Its always nice to have former starters on your bench (Oberto), former all-stars (Finley), and all-defensive players (Bowen).

It is also nice to have greatly improved players (Bonner, Hill, and Mason).

Of these six role players, only two will start, so we have four above average bench players for every game.

And then we can throw in the very average Thomas and Udoka to round things out.

We are set for the playoffs!

Solid D
01-21-2009, 03:45 PM
"Unprecedented depth now"? Not even for a Spurs team, is this unprecedented depth. Not hardly. The 1998-99 team had a bench of Rose, Daniels, Kerr, Kersey, Perdue, and Jaren Jackson. The 2002-03 team which started Robinson, Duncan, Bowen, Stephen Jackson, Parker -had depth with Ginobili, Rose, Claxton, Kerr, Ferry, Steve Smith and Kevin Willis.

Austin_Toros
01-21-2009, 04:53 PM
I agree with this post.

After the big three we are loaded with good role players.

We can mix and match for each game to see who starts.

Its always nice to have former starters on your bench (Oberto), former all-stars (Finley), and all-defensive players (Bowen).

It is also nice to have greatly improved players (Bonner, Hill, and Mason).

Of these six role players, only two will start, so we have four above average bench players for every game.

good point
however, I value the "very average" Thomas more than Oberto. I think their playing does the talking..

lefty
01-21-2009, 05:04 PM
2003 was pretty deep too

HarlemHeat37
01-21-2009, 07:13 PM
2003 was the deepest, but that team was Duncan and role players..that team had arguably the best group of role players I've ever seen, considering TP and Manu weren't anywhere near all-star status at the time..

de Soto
01-21-2009, 07:20 PM

All those players mentioned are expendable because they cannot be relied on for consistent performance.

Playoffs is doable with the current crew but the title is not, I'm afraid.:flag:

de Soto
01-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Introduce him to common sense as well.

Thanks.

Great post from the resident 28 yo. child genius.:lmao

PURO SAN ANTO 210!
01-21-2009, 08:57 PM
The Spurs Still Need A Big. I Hope They Get One!

tomtom
01-21-2009, 09:02 PM
biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiird man man man man

haha that guys pretty tight and he would definitely help with shot blocking but I don't think he'd get along with pop too well

mrspurs
01-22-2009, 07:21 AM

Agreed.