PDA

View Full Version : Possible Trade Partner?

DPG21920
01-21-2009, 01:09 PM
I have not heard this any where or from any source, but with the abundance of bigs they have and the emergence of Brook Lopez, does anyone think there would be a way to get Josh Boone from the Nets?

He has plenty of size, some offensive skills and is a solid defender. He has a friendly contract and would be cheap. Maybe offering them a veteran for some stability and the rights to Tiago (who would be off their books for a while) to make up for the loss later down the road would be enough?

Any opinions?

Leftyventricle
01-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Nah bro. we gotta get yi jianlian from the nets.

eisfeld
01-21-2009, 01:19 PM
His offensive skills are not better than Obertos and he is a very very inconsistent rebounder. One game he grabs 6+ boards, the next game he has 1. He's a big body, but I even like Croshere better than him. I even would take Sean Williams over him, although the young fella needs more time to develop.

DPG21920
01-21-2009, 01:21 PM
What? I would take Boone over Williams all day. Boone was much more consistent. I watched him play a lot. He is not the best player, but certainly could be a starter for the Spurs and a good rebounder.

benefactor
01-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Udoka?

DPG21920
01-21-2009, 01:33 PM
They would probably want another big, but they do not want to ruin their cap space in doing so. Tiago might be a good option as he is probably better than Boone and won't be available for a couple of years.

I do not know which vet they would be interested in, but they could use some help in the pg,sg,sf positions.

Les Grossman
01-21-2009, 01:39 PM
I think the perfect piece that the Spurs would need is Raja Bell. Obviously its not going to happen, but he would fit in extremely well. Great 3pt shooter, good scorer, good defender.

benefactor
01-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Looking at our salaries it looks like it would be hard to make something work unless we included one of our current bigs. Oberto for Boone straight up would work, but I don't think I would want to do that. It would feel like a lateral move....plus we want to add depth and not stay where we are.

urunobili
01-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Sean Williamns >>>>>> Boone for the Spurs oh and another thing... Thiago's Right's are >>>>>>>>> any of those 2...

DPG21920
01-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Looking at our salaries it looks like it would be hard to make something work unless we included one of our current bigs. Oberto for Boone straight up would work, but I don't think I would want to do that. It would feel like a lateral move.

I do not think that they are looking for anything major, just a good locker room guy who will hustle and play defense. Then get a good future player so they can navigate their cap space. Maybe Udoka might do it, not sure, but he is just kind of wasting away (partly bc of injury, partly bc of Lopez). I think it would be worth a shot and is the kind of low cost, low risk move that could help the Spurs without messing up their cap space in 2010.

DPG21920
01-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Not saying I would not like Williams on the Spurs, but no way over Boone. People are in love with Sean because he can jump. He does very little else and seems to have a major attitude problem along with foul trouble.

I mean, look at how poorly he has been playing in the D-League. There is a reason they sent him down there and a reason why Boone was starting.

timvp
01-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Sean Williams would be a horrible fit for the Spurs. Not a good rebounder and he's just a bad apple. Basically all his teammates and coaches hate him and some have said he's even certifiably crazy. I'll pass on the couple blocks per game he'd give.

Boone is a better idea. He very well could be expendable with the way Lopez is playing. But there a still a few problems. First, he's not the greatest fit. Limited offensive game away from the hoop and in college had a tendency to wilt under pressure. Secondly, the Spurs don't have much to offer and if the Nets shopped around Boone, they'd be able to get more.

I wouldn't complain if the Spurs got Boone but I don't see how he'd help much more than KT. Basically the same type player ... without the luxury of nearly a year in the system.

Good idea overall, though :tu

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-21-2009, 02:52 PM
I don't know if he's quite what the Spurs need, but I have to give props to the OP for coming up with a trade thread that possesses some realism and intelligence.

DPG21920
01-21-2009, 03:25 PM
Just from watching him play, if you could get him for what I was talking about, then it is extremely low risk. He would not be a bad guy to have starting some times or coming off the bench. As long as he was active on the defensive end, it would help (he is more than just another 6 fouls).

On offense, he is pretty active and is good around the rim. His rebounding numbers per 40 are solid and he still is young. Who knows, but I liked his mindset and skill set from a young guy with some size.

But ya, the Nets are in no rush to get rid of him probably because he has some value and his contract is so small (and it expires in 2010 if they do not extend him the QO). I am sure that they could get some more out of him, but this seems like an ideal "buy low" situation.

HarlemHeat37
01-21-2009, 07:16 PM
his offense isn't as bad as his numbers look..he finishes strong at the rim, which is something we could use..he has some of the worst hands you'll EVER see though..

I wouldn't mind Boone, but the Nets aren't trading him for anything we have..

let's chill with the Williams idea too..he doesn't help us at all, he would get murdered inside against our rivals(Bynum-Gasol, West-Chandler, Yao)..

mystargtr34
01-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Just from watching him play, if you could get him for what I was talking about, then it is extremely low risk. He would not be a bad guy to have starting some times or coming off the bench. As long as he was active on the defensive end, it would help (he is more than just another 6 fouls).

On offense, he is pretty active and is good around the rim. His rebounding numbers per 40 are solid and he still is young. Who knows, but I liked his mindset and skill set from a young guy with some size.

But ya, the Nets are in no rush to get rid of him probably because he has some value and his contract is so small (and it expires in 2010 if they do not extend him the QO). I am sure that they could get some more out of him, but this seems like an ideal "buy low" situation.

I like the idea of Boone, but i think the FO is still heavily interested in bringing Splitter over. Tau's head coach and RC are close friends, and right now the way he is playing, Splitter is probably the best player in the world outside of the NBA. So there can only be good words coming back, i think hes more valuable to the Spurs than other teams in the League who probably see him as a Euro project.

Hes still a damn good asset.

DPG21920
01-21-2009, 07:54 PM
I like the idea of Boone, but i think the FO is still heavily interested in bringing Splitter over. Tau's head coach and RC are close friends, and right now the way he is playing, Splitter is probably the best player in the world outside of the NBA. So there can only be good words coming back, i think hes more valuable to the Spurs than other teams in the League who probably see him as a Euro project.

Hes still a damn good asset.

A bird in the hand is what I am thinking. Who knows when Tiago will come over and we have a good window right now with Duncan, Parker and Ginobili. If we can get a guy with NBA experience who is young and big, for Splitter, then I say take it. We still have Mahinmi to groom.

mystargtr34
01-21-2009, 08:02 PM
A bird in the hand is what I am thinking. Who knows when Tiago will come over and we have a good window right now with Duncan, Parker and Ginobili. If we can get a guy with NBA experience who is young and big, for Splitter, then I say take it. We still have Mahinmi to groom.

I agree we cant wait forever. He has an option to come after this season, but more likely, if it does happen, it will be in 2010. If we can wait for that big FA class in 2010, we should be able to wait for Tiago a little longer.

As much potential as Ian has, right now Tiago >>>> Ian. If i had to choose one, provided Tiago was coming over, i take Splitter in a heart beat, for now and the future. Plus hes only a year older. Again, that is provided Splitter is coming over, which sort of makes my point moot.

Hes dominating the second best league in the world. My hopes are still high for him, and i think (and hope) Pop and co. feel the same. Hes only 23.

DPG21920
01-21-2009, 08:04 PM
I agree, and if there was a guarantee that Tiago would come over this next year then I say do it. But nothing leads me to believe he will come over, ever. He is not going to leave that money on the table more than likely.

exstatic
01-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Sean Williamns >>>>>> Boone for the Spurs oh and another thing... Thiago's Right's are >>>>>>>>> any of those 2...

Sean Williams would be a horrible fit for the Spurs. Not a good rebounder and he's just a bad apple. Basically all his teammates and coaches hate him and some have said he's even certifiably crazy. I'll pass on the couple blocks per game he'd give.

Word is that Chicago ABSOLUTELY REFUSED Sean Williams even as a throw in in their prospective trade with CHI for Larry Hughes.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-21-2009, 10:41 PM
his offense isn't as bad as his numbers look..he finishes strong at the rim, which is something we could use..he has some of the worst hands you'll EVER see though..

Another Nazr? :lol

Boone, maybe, he has dropped out of favour in NJ recently, Williams, no way.

I wonder if the Wizards are ready to give up on JaVale McGee yet? I doubt it, but worth a phone call... depending on his basketball IQ, which I fear may be low, he could be a perfect fit for our needs.

Anyone else get the feeling that either:
a) Pop is a few weeks away from the "we're going with what we have, so knuckle down" speech; or,
b) has something up his sleeve and he's doing the CIA thing (like, say, Mahinmi, who we have heard nothing about for a month, is getting ready to play and he just wants to keep it under wraps and spring it on some poor unsuspecting team one day)?

I'd bet on one of these two outcomes right now.

m33p0
01-21-2009, 10:50 PM
why are you guys so keen on trading Splitter's rights? every basketball player dreamed of playing in the NBA. in fact, i have yet to hear someone say (think lewis black in one of his rants) "Fuck. I'm going to play in one if them FIBA tournaments coz FIBA is the shit!". splitter is gonna come over. besides, haven't we learned anything from the scola fiasco?

Manufan909
01-22-2009, 12:06 AM
b) has something up his sleeve and he's doing the CIA thing (like, say, Mahinmi, who we have heard nothing about for a month, is getting ready to play and he just wants to keep it under wraps and spring it on some poor unsuspecting team one day)?

How is this a good idea? If he is good, why aren't they using him yet? Stupid CIA Pop and his crazy ways. Maybe he'll sic Ian on LA and he'll become the Gasol stopper.:downspin:

DROB4EVER
01-22-2009, 12:09 AM
why are you guys so keen on trading Splitter's rights? every basketball player dreamed of playing in the NBA. in fact, i have yet to hear someone say (think lewis black in one of his rants) "Fuck. I'm going to play in one if them FIBA tournaments coz FIBA is the shit!". splitter is gonna come over. besides, haven't we learned anything from the scola fiasco?

Agree, Im not keen on trading his rights unless it gets us another ring or two, Splitter is a very good player and had he come this year the Lakers would be looking up at us. He is a strong defender, has a nice face up game and is tuff as nails!

Now if he isnt signing in 2010 then Im open to dealing him for another pick, I dont wanna see this become another Scola situation.

DROB4EVER
01-22-2009, 12:11 AM
Word is that Chicago ABSOLUTELY REFUSED Sean Williams even as a throw in in their prospective trade with CHI for Larry Hughes.

Chicago is a poorly run team starting from the FO to the coach who is clueless!

Ditty
01-22-2009, 12:13 AM
Agree, Im not keen on trading his rights unless it gets us another ring or two, Splitter is a very good player and had he come this year the Lakers would be looking up at us. He is a strong defender, has a nice face up game and is tuff as nails!

Now if he isnt signing in 2010 then Im open to dealing him for another pick, I dont wanna see this become another Scola situation.

hell be 26 by 2010 how do you think by the time he gets adjusted to the nba game in about 2 years and he'll be 28 and only have really 2 good years before he hits 30. our time is now if not well get another big guy in 2010 to actually want to play with us

DROB4EVER
01-22-2009, 12:19 AM
hell be 26 by 2010 how do you think by the time he gets adjusted to the nba game in about 2 years and he'll be 28 and only have really 2 good years before he hits 30. our time is now if not well get another big guy in 2010 to actually want to play with us

If Im not mistaken he will be 25 in 2010, but even so his adjustment time will not be long, maybe half a season. The guys been playing pro for 5-6 years now and at a very high level. I got the chance to see him play 2 games in person last year and he is the real deal!

Besides Skilled bigs can play at a high level till 34-35 as long as they take care of themselves. Remember Manu was 25-26 when he was a rookie with the Spurs. If he can come in 2010 he will likely be the starting Center from day one. With him and Ian it will allow the Spurs to fill up the roster with vets while still maintaining a hint of youth.

Splitter right now on this Spurs team would avg 10ppg 9rpg and a block or so! He is an excellant team defender. We got a steal with this guy and if he signs in 2010 the waite will be worth it!

m33p0
01-22-2009, 12:19 AM
how old was manu when he entered the league?

exstatic
01-22-2009, 12:21 AM

Uh, no, he'll contribute immediately. Really good FIBA players don't take long to adjust to the league at all.

m33p0
01-22-2009, 12:24 AM
Uh, no, he'll contribute immediately. Really good FIBA players don't take long to adjust to the league at all.
yup. by himself, he can give bynum and gasol fits right now.

Ditty
01-22-2009, 12:28 AM
If Im not mistaken he will be 25 in 2010, but even so his adjustment time will not be long, maybe half a season. The guys been playing pro for 5-6 years now and at a very high level. I got the chance to see him play 2 games in person last year and he is the real deal!

Besides Skilled bigs can play at a high level till 34-35 as long as they take care of themselves. Remember Manu was 25-26 when he was a rookie with the Spurs. If he can come in 2010 he will likely be the starting Center from day one. With him and Ian it will allow the Spurs to fill up the roster with vets while still maintaining a hint of youth.

Splitter right now on this Spurs team would avg 10ppg 9rpg and a block or so! He is an excellant team defender. We got a steal with this guy and if he signs in 2010 the waite will be worth it!

IF he signs with 2010 i dont know its to much of a risk?

if he really wanted to come i guess he would of tried to come this past year?

he is 24 and well be 26 by the 2010 nba playofss i hope he does come here dont get me wrong but i rather win now then in 3 or 4 years when hes fully developed

DROB4EVER
01-22-2009, 12:33 AM
IF he signs with 2010 i dont know its to much of a risk?

if he really wanted to come i guess he would of tried to come this past year?

he is 24 and well be 26 by the 2010 nba playofss i hope he does come here dont get me wrong but i rather win now then in 3 or 4 years when hes fully developed

Its a risk with drafting players from overseas, but its a high payoff if he signs. I think the Spurs would have looked to deal him if they thought he wouldnt come over by 2010. The only reason he didnt sign already was because of the devaluation of the dollar to the euro. He wanted to opt for security and take the 10 mil while he could, if he comes in 2010 that will put him up for his contract extention while hes in his prime. He knows he can only get that big contract in the US. So I think he will come.

Ditty
01-22-2009, 12:36 AM
On June 7, 2008, The San Antonio Express News (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Antonio_Express_News) reported that Spurs General Manager R.C. Buford (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R.C._Buford) stated that Tiago Splitter had informed the team that he would not be coming to San Antonio for the 2008-09 season. Splitter would then sign an extension with Tau Ceramica that would keep him in the Spanish League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asociaci%C3%B3n_de_Clubs_de_Baloncesto) through the year 2012

wow so we got to wait till hes 28 then his buy out will be too big trade him !

mogrovejo
01-22-2009, 12:44 AM
Boone is a solid rebounder with some concentration problems from game to game but a liability on both sides of the floor. SW doesn't belong in the NBA.

Oberto is better than both those guys. Splitter is immensely superior to the 3 of them together.

mogrovejo
01-22-2009, 12:45 AM
On June 7, 2008, The San Antonio Express News (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Antonio_Express_News) reported that Spurs General Manager R.C. Buford (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R.C._Buford) stated that Tiago Splitter had informed the team that he would not be coming to San Antonio for the 2008-09 season. Splitter would then sign an extension with Tau Ceramica that would keep him in the Spanish League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asociaci%C3%B3n_de_Clubs_de_Baloncesto) through the year 2012

wow so we got to wait till hes 28 then his buy out will be too big trade him !

Where did you get that from? Not accurate, Tiago will leave Vitoria in the Summer of 2010.

Ditty
01-22-2009, 12:47 AM
Where did you get that from? Not accurate, Tiago will leave Vitoria in the Summer of 2010.

wiki i know it aint always rite and i did read they can buy out his contract in 2010

m33p0
01-22-2009, 12:54 AM
do not touch the TIAGO.

angelbelow
01-22-2009, 01:22 AM
Nah bro. we gotta get yi jianlian from the nets.

i laughed for several minutes at your sig.

Yorae
01-22-2009, 02:44 AM
If there's none maybe this trade partner will do.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/3335579.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=4DAA13B573E1BD2F7E96A81BA022FEFCA55A1E4F32AD3138

And right, do not touch the tiago!!!!

tp2021
01-23-2009, 01:31 PM
I have not heard this any where or from any source, but with the abundance of bigs they have and the emergence of Brook Lopez, does anyone think there would be a way to get Josh Boone from the Nets?

He has plenty of size, some offensive skills and is a solid defender. He has a friendly contract and would be cheap. Maybe offering them a veteran for some stability and the rights to Tiago (who would be off their books for a while) to make up for the loss later down the road would be enough?

Any opinions?

There's a chance the Nets will be even more full of bigs.

Feeling the need for a small forward better than Bobby Simmons and the urge to break up their backcourt so Vince Carter and Devin Harris stop competing against each other for points, the Nets actively pursued Larry Hughes as reports claimed; Carter would've moved to the frontcourt. However, the key to signing off on such a deal - unmentioned in everything I read - was Jersey's insistence either Tyrus Thomas or Joakim Noah be included.

New York Post

DPG21920
01-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Well that just makes no sense to me. Why would they want another big? Maybe now would be a great time to target Boone.

mrspurs
01-23-2009, 04:00 PM
His offensive skills are not better than Obertos and he is a very very inconsistent rebounder. One game he grabs 6+ boards, the next game he has 1. He's a big body, but I even like Croshere better than him. I even would take Sean Williams over him, although the young fella needs more time to develop.

When people put up names as players who are available. Dont compare Fab to them. They're offering names from players in the NBA. Clearly Fab belongs in the WNBA.:lol With that aside, any help Timmy can get is worth the look. Even if it takes 10 day contracts till next season. And Fabs double pump no look under his legs passes are about all the offense he provides. Lets not even get into his Fabulous Fab Rebounds.:lol

intlspurshk
01-24-2009, 01:51 AM
With Europe is in such bad economy, maybe Tau have some financial problems that would like to unload some high salaries players. So, I wouldn't trade TS right now.

It's just a mystery to me that NBA is not affected by the financial crisis.

Yorae
01-24-2009, 01:54 AM
Nice shoes, DPG21920.