PDA

View Full Version : SI.com's NBA All-Star Picks

duncan228
01-21-2009, 03:36 PM
SI.com's NBA All-Star Picks (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/01/21/west.all.stars/index.html)

The fans' selections for All-Star Game starters will be revealed Thursday night. The coaches' reserve choices -- they select two guards, two forwards, one center and two wild-card picks, and don't necessarily have to vote for players at the position at which they're listed on the official All-Star ballot -- will be announced Jan. 29. Which players deserve a trip to Phoenix for the Feb. 15 midseason showcase? SI.com's NBA writers make their picks. (All stats and records are through Tuesday.)

WESTERN CONFERENCE STARTERS

SI CONSENSUS PICKS

Kobe Bryant

Ian Thomsen: Kobe Bryant. The reigning MVP is having a remarkably quiet, dissent-free year. How can a guy average 27 points (with the best shooting percentage of his career) and appear to be pacing himself for the playoffs? He's struck a healthy rhythm with his teammates, which is too bad for everyone else.

Jack McCallum: Kobe Bryant. He goes off on shoot-first tangents once in a while -- that's just Kobe being Kobe -- but he seems to realize that he is the linchpin of the league's deepest team. His willingness to make teammates like Pau Gasol and Trevor Ariza better makes the Lakers better.

Chris Mannix: Kobe Bryant. How tough is Bryant? After dislocating the ring finger on his right hand against Cleveland, he is now playing with two mangled fingers on his shooting hand. Not just playing, either. Dominating. Bryant may not win a second straight MVP award, but he is still the most skilled player in the NBA.

Steve Aschburner: Kobe Bryant. Time flies: Bryant has been in the league as long as Michael Jordan was (13 seasons). And who can forget the 1998 All-Star Game in New York, where the precocious Bryant waved a cranky Karl Malone off a pick-and-roll to go at Jordan one-on-one.

Paul Forrester: Kobe Bryant. After a slow start by his standards, the Kobe we all know has gradually made his return, increasing his scoring average each month this season.

Chris Paul

Ian Thomsen: Chris Paul. He continues to keep New Orleans in contention for home-court advantage in the crowded West. The Hornets need him to dominate the ball, so the fun part will be watching him play without the ball in Phoenix.

Jack McCallum: Chris Paul. No one is doing his job better than Paul, who has the ball in his hands more than anyone and ranks second in the league in assist-to-turnover ratio.

Chris Mannix: Chauncey Billups, Denver Nuggets. Think I'll catch some heat for this pick? Bring it on. Chris Paul is the more obvious pick and Steve Nash is still a worthy choice, but my vote goes to the player who has single-handedly salvaged a team tagged for demolition.

Steve Aschburner: Chris Paul. I went with Dwyane Wade and Vince Carter as my starting guards in the East. There needs to be one pure point guard among the All-Star starting backcourts, don't ya think?

Paul Forrester: Chris Paul. It's clear the fourth-year point guard isn't just putting together a playing résumé akin to Isiah Thomas'; he's putting together a career better than Zeke's.

Dirk Nowitzki

Ian Thomsen: Dirk Nowitzki. He's scoring like he used to, and after all these years he's still only 30. But the Mavs still haven't created a new identity around him and Jason Kidd, and it's going to take all of Nowitzki's fight to make the playoffs. At least he can relax in Phoenix.

Jack McCallum: Dirk Nowitzki. Admit it: We've written off the 2007 MVP a little, haven't we? Well, the guy is as good as ever. He's playing big minutes and hitting big shots, and he's the reason you can't completely count out the Mavs.

Chris Mannix: Dirk Nowitzki. His production is similar to his 2006-07 MVP season, and his scoring is at a three-year high. He gets the nod over the Suns' Amaré Stoudemire.

Steve Aschburner: Dirk Nowitzki. Eleven seasons in, his scoring, shooting and minutes this season all are higher than his career averages. Like Tim Duncan, he makes consistency exciting, just from farther out on the floor.

Paul Forrester: Dirk Nowitzki. It's a shame his playoff failures have obscured how good the 11-year veteran is. Nowitzki is on track to average at least 21.8 points and 8.6 rebounds for the ninth consecutive season.

Tim Duncan

Ian Thomsen: Tim Duncan. Don't ignore this guy. He's averaging 20 and 10 now, which means he'll be good for 26 and 14 in the playoffs -- and even more in the biggest games.

Jack McCallum: Tim Duncan. Is there anything new to say about this guy? He held the Spurs together through an early injury epidemic.

Chris Mannix: Tim Duncan. A no-brainer. For what feels like the 36th straight season, Duncan has positioned the Spurs as a contender for the NBA title.

Steve Aschburner: Tim Duncan. Maybe this will be the year that Duncan unveils his wicked crossover, tosses a few set-up passes behind his back, soars in for a 360-degree slam and mugs for the worldwide audience in this entertainment-first event. Uh, maybe not.

Paul Forrester: Tim Duncan. Ho-hum, another terrific season for the game's most consistently excellent player.

Yao Ming

Ian Thomsen: Yao Ming. His numbers are down slightly, but Yao is maintaining his health (despite his unique Olympic burdens last summer) and he has never shown more leadership while keeping the Rockets in contention amid injuries to Tracy McGrady, Ron Artest and Shane Battier.

Jack McCallum: Yao Ming. As long as he stays healthy, pencil him in for the next half-dozen years. Along with being a near 20-10 guy, you can't foul him late (as you can Shaquille O'Neal) because he hits 86.2 percent of his free throws.

Chris Mannix: Yao Ming. Remember when everyone thought Yao was the Rocket who was going to break down? Instead, it has been everyone else. Yao has missed only one game this season.

Steve Aschburner: Yao Ming. Look, the world has enough troubles right now without unduly irritating all the mouse-clicking fans in China who expect to see Yao as the West starter again.

Paul Forrester: Yao Ming. Injuries have forced the Rockets to use 14 starting lineups this season, but Yao has been one of the few constants.

WESTERN CONFERENCE RESERVES

Ian Thomsen:

Shaq makes it not just on legacy but on merit. Pau Gasol is among the league's most efficient big men across the board. The impossible choice involves Steve Nash, whose scoring is down through no fault of his own, as he has been quarterbacking Phoenix through its coaching transition while creating shots for Shaq and Jason Richardson as well as Amaré Stoudemire and Grant Hill. Nash rates behind Chauncey Billups and Tony Parker statistically and in the team standings, but there is no right answer when choosing which one to leave out.

G Brandon Roy, Portland Trail Blazers
G Chauncey Billups, Denver Nuggets
G Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs
F Carmelo Anthony, Denver Nuggets
F Amaré Stoudemire, Phoenix Suns
F Pau Gasol, Los Angeles Lakers
C Shaquille O'Neal, Phoenix Suns

Jack McCallum:

I wrestled with starting either Amaré Stoudemire or Pau Gasol for Dirk Nowitzki, but neither has the nightly responsibility of the Mav. Three Suns among reserves is a lot, but tell me Steve Nash doesn't belong and Shaq, besides having an excellent season, must be there for entertainment value. Tracy McGrady may get voted in as a starter, but he's not on my team. It's hard not to have a Jazz representative, but they've had too many injuries and too much inconsistency, though Paul Millsap would've been the best candidate.

G Steve Nash, Phoenix Suns
C Al Jefferson, Minnesota Timberwolves

Chris Mannix:

Timberwolves center Al Jefferson loses out to the Hornets' David West because the latter plays for a contender. I'm excluding Steve Nash even though the game is being played in his home city. That's no knock against Nash, who is having an All-Star-caliber season. But one of my starting guards, Chauncey Billups, has been a franchise-changer, Chris Paul has to be on the team and Tony Parker is putting up better numbers for a better team. Leaving one of them off for what would only be a PR move just isn't right.

G Chris Paul, New Orleans Hornets
F David West, New Orleans Hornets

Steve Aschburner:

Gotta have Steve Nash -- the game's in Phoenix. No Amaré Stoudemire? I'm taking Manu Ginobili (making the Spurs the only West club with two All-Stars) because he's a living, breathing model of team-first focus on a day when that value gets trampled. See, kids, you can be a sub and still be an All-Star. Stoudemire often seems 180 degrees from that. Kevin Durant is ready for his national close-up, and Al Jefferson has been the best center, day in, day out, in the West. Besides, Shaq's more fun to watch all duded up on the sidelines.

G Steve Nash, Phoenix Suns
G Deron Williams, Utah Jazz
G Manu Ginobili, San Antonio Spurs
F Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder

Paul Forrester:

No Steve Nash? Right. Not when his numbers are down and the competition is tough. Al Jefferson almost earned my starting nod at center; he deserves his first All-Star berth. The importance of Brandon Roy, Tony Parker, Chauncey Billups and Amaré Stoudemire to their teams is self-evident. Paul Millsap has become a force in Utah in replacing an injured Carlos Boozer in the starting lineup. Some might think Kevin Durant needs to wait a year, but with the improvements he's made, he's earned a place.

G Chauncey Billups, Denver Nuggets
F Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder
F Paul Millsap, Utah Jazz

EASTERN CONFERENCE STARTERS

SI CONSENSUS PICKS

Dwyane Wade

Ian Thomsen: Dwyane Wade. He is a smaller version of Michael Jordan -- scoring, passing, defending and carrying his overmatched Heat to the playoffs all by himself. Wade is up there with LeBron and Kobe in talent, drive and leadership. As the league's hardest-working star, he's a role model for all young players.

Jack McCallum: Dwyane Wade. Let's see, where would Miami be without Wade? Right where it was last season -- in the basement. I can't see him beating out LeBron in the MVP race, but night after night no one in the league has more weight on his shoulders than this guy.

Chris Mannix: Dwyane Wade. The battered, bruised and beaten-down Wade disappeared with last season; this is the Wade everyone remembers. The NBA's leading scorer is in MVP form.

Steve Aschburner: Dwyane Wade. In a world that savors one-on-one competition -- Microsoft vs. Apple, Coke vs. Pepsi, Kobe vs. LeBron -- Wade makes it very cool to be No. 3.

Paul Forrester: Dwyane Wade. With a healthy Wade, the Heat have already won seven more games than they did all of last season. If not for that guy in Cleveland, Wade would be the front-runner for MVP.

Devin Harris

Ian Thomsen: Devin Harris. Surprise! He's a star in progress, but a star nonetheless. Harris can get to the basket against anybody, and it will be interesting to see the plays he creates on the move in Phoenix.

Jack McCallum: Devin Harris. The kid with the warp speed has improved dramatically. Along with his offensive production, he stays in front of opposing guards when he's on D.

Chris Mannix: Joe Johnson, Atlanta Hawks. Does anyone else wonder what might have been if Boston had included Kedrick Brown (whom Phoenix wanted) instead of Johnson in the 2002 trade for Rodney Rogers? The Hawks' recent skid hurts, but Johnson is the primary reason they are in the hunt for home-court advantage in the first round.

Steve Aschburner: Vince Carter, New Jersey Nets. Hey, there's no fighting city hall; fans love this guy. Besides, the further from the spotlight he gets, the more I like his game, too.

Paul Forrester: Devin Harris. Would the Mavs would be in a fight for their playoff lives if they had kept Harris instead of helping fast-forward the Nets' rebuilding effort?

LeBron James

Ian Thomsen: LeBron James. His numbers are down a bit but his influence has never been more impressive. There are no true stars around James and yet the Cavs are challenging for the league's best record. LeBron and Kobe are dueling for the MVP. Is This LeBron's Year: the background theme for All-Star weekend.

Jack McCallum: LeBron James. He's the midseason MVP and, barring injury, he'll be the end-of-the-season MVP. That Oscar Robertson triple-double-for-the-season is probably unreachable but if anyone could do it in the future ...

Chris Mannix: LeBron James. Do we really need to explain this? If David Stern can get an early-bird rate from the engravers, he should just have them etch James' name on the MVP trophy today.

Steve Aschburner: LeBron James. In hopes that it might persuade him to stay, the Cavs might buy naming ("LBJ Weekend") and permanent hosting rights to All-Star weekend. Or the NBA might just decree it anyway.

Paul Forrester: LeBron James. Occasional move to power forward this season has allowed the game's best player to use every bit of his 6-foot-8, 250-pound frame.

Kevin Garnett

Ian Thomsen: Kevin Garnett. He's become a lightning rod for rival fans who loathe his yappiness and on-all-fours intensity. KG should use Phoenix to laugh at himself and satirize his own antics (as Shaq has done over the years).

Jack McCallum: Kevin Garnett. There's a certain cancel-each-other-out factor between KG and teammate Paul Pierce. But one of them has to start, and I'm going with a guy who shoots better than 50 percent, grabs almost 10 rebounds and sets the tone defensively for Boston.

Chris Mannix: Kevin Garnett. This spot comes down to which Celtic you think is more deserving. Is it Garnett, the backbone of the defense and a low-post menace? Or is it Paul Pierce, the leading scorer and go-to guy down the stretch? I'm going with KG, the more complete player.

Steve Aschburner: Kevin Garnett. For a true snapshot of Garnett's lippy, chippy season so far, he should show up in Phoenix, clap annoyingly in each Western Conference player's face, then get down on all fours in mock defensive intensity.

Paul Forrester: Kevin Garnett. The numbers make us want to say Danny Granger, but Garnett's impact in keeping the Celtics focused and among the best defensive teams in the league deserves to be rewarded.

Dwight Howard

Ian Thomsen: Dwight Howard. The lone All-Star center in his conference, Howard should be among the MVP finalists. At 23, his game is still developing, but he has already come a long way as Orlando's leader defensively. Will block a half-dozen shots minimum in Phoenix.

Jack McCallum: Dwight Howard. One of three absolute Eastern no-brainers (guess the other two) with no center within a mile of him. We're coming close to the time that we have to consider the Magic a legit contender, and Howard, who leads the league in rebounding, blocked shots and apparent fun-having, is the primary reason.

Chris Mannix: Dwight Howard. Again with the explanations. Let's see, Howard has an overpowering inside game and advance scouts tell me all the time that his defense is getting better by the game. That's scary.

Steve Aschburner: Dwight Howard. How unspoiled is this guy that he wants to "defend" his slam-dunk title? Someone needs to enroll the Magic's strongman in Superstar 101.

Paul Forrester: Dwight Howard. The Magic have built a legit Finals contender around Howard. Imagine how good he'll be with more polish on his offensive game.

EASTERN CONFERENCE RESERVES

Ian Thomsen:

Chris Bosh plays occasionally at center, so I'm shifting him from power forward to fill the hole. The easiest decision was to include Danny Granger. He belongs on the floor with the bigger names and fans will finally get to see why. Rashard Lewis makes it as the No. 2 scorer of the contending Magic. The hardest choice involved the four emerging point guards -- Rajon Rondo, Jameer Nelson and Mo Williams (representing the three Eastern powers) and explosive rookie Derrick Rose. But none deserved to beat out Ray Allen, the near-MVP of the 2008 All-Star Game who is having himself an even better season this year.

G Joe Johnson, Atlanta Hawks
G Vince Carter, New Jersey Nets
G Ray Allen, Boston Celtics
F Paul Pierce, Boston Celtics
F Danny Granger, Indiana Pacers
F Rashard Lewis, Orlando Magic
C Chris Bosh, Toronto Raptors

Jack McCallum:

It would've been nice to give the emerging Danny Granger a starting spot, but his Pacers are too far back to justify it. Joe Johnson and Jameer Nelson can both lay claim to that other guard spot beside Wade, but I went with Devin Harris. It's weird not to include a Piston, but Allen Iverson has messed up that team just enough that neither Rip Hamilton nor Tayshaun Prince makes it. Andre Igoudala is there as a nod to the 76ers' recent hot streak. Antawn Jamison has been better than his teammate Caron Butler in a long season in Washington.

G Jameer Nelson, Orlando Magic
F Andre Iguodala, Philadelphia 76ers
F Antawn Jamison, Washington Wizards

Chris Mannix:

Who deserves three spots -- Boston or Orlando? Does a player carrying a losing team warrant a spot over a major contributor on a winning team? What to do at backup center? These questions plagued me during the selection process. Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis are my two fence-sitters, but I'm going to nudge Lewis over it based on a higher scoring average (19.1 to Allen's 17.9) and because of how impressive Lewis and the Magic were in beating up on the West big boys recently. Devin Harris misses out because I decided to reward a player listed at center on the All-Star ballot (Emeka Okafor) rather than slide Chris Bosh into that spot.

G Mo Williams, Cleveland Cavaliers
F Chris Bosh, Toronto Raptors
F Rashard Lewis, Orlando Magic
C Emeka Okafor, Charlotte Bobcats

Steve Aschburner:

So I've got the East's top seven scorers on my squad. But I've also got four players from losing teams, which goes against the trendy grain these days and also bucks the way the league's coaches select reserves. Too bad -- there are only six East teams over .500 from which to choose. I'm going with Chris Bosh as a center; otherwise, it's Charlotte's Emeka Okafor. Toughest call: Ray Allen over Rajon Rondo. I went with "star power" and the need for outside shooting over another point guard.

G Devin Harris, New Jersey Nets
G Ray Allen, Boston Celtics

Paul Forrester:

Paul Pierce and Chris Bosh are no-brainers, much as Danny Granger should be for anyone who has been watching his emergence. With the other selections, I tried to reward a few players whose importance is often overlooked. Rajon Rondo and Jameer Nelson may defer to better scorers on their respective teams, but their ability to contribute on the offensive end has opened the floor for their more celebrated teammates. The toughest inclusion was Josh Smith, who gets rewarded for his more discerning shooting eye and the fact that someone with his physical talents is made for the All-Star Game.

G Rajon Rondo, Boston Celtics
F Josh Smith, Atlanta Hawks

urunobili
01-21-2009, 03:39 PM
what it bugs me the most is that we may never see the Spurs big three together in an All Star game and i wanted that really bad... :depressed

Also, TP is a lock to make it this year :)

timvp
01-21-2009, 03:42 PM
TP vs. Nash will be interesting. I think TP is more deserving but will the NBA really allow Nash not to make the All-Star team in a year when the game is being played in Phoenix? I'll believe it when I see it.

But yeah, I don't really care too much. If TP loses out to CP3, Billups and the hometown Nash, that's fine.

TMTTRIO
01-21-2009, 03:43 PM
I have to laugh at the guy that said Manu should be an AS. I love Manu a lot and he's my favorite player but he's not an AS player and shouldn't be one this year. I really hope that Tony gets to go though. He's been great. I would love to see our Big Three make it but I can't see that will ever happen:depressed. I can't see Manu ever making another AS appearance again.

Galileo
01-21-2009, 03:44 PM
Parker got 3 of 5. So he has a 60% chance to make the team.

urunobili
01-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Parker got 3 of 5. So he has a 60% chance to make the team.

It's voted by the coaches not the media... so I'd say he has a 90% possibility of making it...

Spork KIller
01-21-2009, 03:49 PM
It's voted by the coaches not the media... so I'd say he has a 90% possibility of making it...

:nope

Brazil
01-21-2009, 03:50 PM
TP loves the AS, he wants to make it. For him it's important to be recognized by the coaches and after some will say he is arrogant. :)

FromWayDowntown
01-21-2009, 03:52 PM
The Nash factor will be an interesting dimension to Parker's bid to join the small group of San Antonio Spurs with 3 or more All-Star selections (Gervin 12 (9 NBA), Robinson (10), Duncan (10 and counting), and Alvin Robertson (3)).

Brazil
01-21-2009, 04:01 PM
The Nash factor will be an interesting dimension to Parker's bid to join the small group of San Antonio Spurs with 3 or more All-Star selections (Gervin 12 (9 NBA), Robinson (10), Duncan (10 and counting), and Alvin Robertson (3)).

i didn't realize that. fuck Nash !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Galileo
01-21-2009, 04:02 PM

I just noticed that one guy picked Manu. That basically counts as a Parker vote. So Parker is up to 80%. If I split the difference with you, he's at 85%.

urunobili
01-21-2009, 04:12 PM
I just noticed that one guy picked Manu. That basically counts as a Parker vote. So Parker is up to 80%. If I split the difference with you, he's at 85%.

And the one guy that picked Manu was because he thought that'd send a good message for the younger generations that is: "You don't need to start to be an All Star" Media last year fucked with Manu voting Roy on top of him...

1Parker1
01-21-2009, 04:20 PM
It'd be laughable if the Suns, who are barely in the the playoffs as it is, will be the only team to have 3 All stars at the game.

Ghjkll
01-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Tim and Tony are almost locks to make the All-Star team, but it would be nice to see our big three together in the game, at least one time. Manu is starting to play well again, and if he goes wild for the rest of the month and a couple of injuries affects other players, he may have a slim chance to make it...

Behrooz24
01-21-2009, 04:31 PM
What no T-mac or Yi?!

/sarcasm

Manufan909
01-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Ankle sprain for Brandon Roy, come on!!! :lol

diego
01-21-2009, 04:36 PM
the all star game, and most NBA awards for that matter, make no sense. for the ASG, between fan voting and the twisted criteria- stats? team record? importance of role to team? rep? for some players one criteria is more important than another, and in the end popularity and perception always win out. and it sucks because the players want to have that on their resume cause its supposed to mean something but its all chance.

can you imagine the suns with shaq, nash and amare at the ASG? has there ever been a team with 3 all stars to suck that bad? if big al/tony get shafted by amare/nash i'll be pissed (for a while anyways :lol)

if manu didnt get in last year, theres no chance he'll get in this year with the injury. i think manu's flopper rep basically killed any chance of ever getting back in.

urunobili
01-21-2009, 04:41 PM
if manu didnt get in last year, theres no chance he'll get in this year with the injury. i think manu's flopper rep basically killed any chance of ever getting back in.

I don;t think it's that... it's more jealousy from the coaches as all have been constantly fucked by Manu since his arrival...

Spurs Brazil
01-21-2009, 04:41 PM
McCallum is a joke. TP is playing better than Nash this season. The only PG in the West, and NBA, playing better than him is CP3.

TP must be in All Start this year

WildcardManu
01-21-2009, 05:10 PM
If idiot analysts are picking TP then it should be a no brainer for the voters to see he should go.

MoSpur
01-21-2009, 05:16 PM
I think that TP deserves to make it again. Manu's injury could hurt his chances because he has not been consistent as other players. I would love for him to make it.

CubanMustGo
01-21-2009, 05:44 PM
It'd be laughable if the Suns, who are barely in the the playoffs as it is, will be the only team to have 3 All stars at the game.

+1

kace
01-21-2009, 05:45 PM
i don't know when the coach have to vote, but even if Tony's last few games were average for him, he should be there.

Manu always had a bad timing for the ASG. Last year, when the vote were announced, manu didn't deserve to be a all star simply because Roy, Paul and Nash were better. Few games later and till his injury, he would have been a lock. just a bad timing, since manu as his best can easily compete for a ASG selection.

baseline bum
01-21-2009, 05:47 PM
what it bugs me the most is that we may never see the Spurs big three together in an All Star game and i wanted that really bad... :depressed

Also, TP is a lock to make it this year :)

Pretty hard to see Manu making the AS team this season. I hope Parker, Jefferson, Billups, and Gasol don't get screwed by the media's man-love for Nash.

TDMVPDPOY
01-21-2009, 07:02 PM
roy, nash ummm they havnt done anything spectacular this season for me....

Rogue
01-21-2009, 07:28 PM
I don't think those AI fans would allow harris to take his place, AI doesn't deserve a starting role on all-star weekend in ability but his fans can make it happen.

mystargtr34
01-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Mcgrady
Kobe
Amare
Duncan
Yao
----------
Paul
Roy
Dirk
Gasol
Shaq
Parker
Billups

With the fan voting going the way it is, i think that might be the final line up. If Nash gets the sentimental vote from Coaches, i think Gasol or Parker drop out.

urunobili
01-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Paul
Mcgrady
Carmelo
Duncan
Yao
----------
Billups
Roy
Dirk
Amare
Shaq
Parker
Gasol

With the fan voting going the way it is, i think that might be the final line up. If Nash gets the sentimental vote from Coaches, i think Gasol or Parker drop out.
Amare won't make it pal...

mystargtr34
01-21-2009, 07:47 PM

I think he has a very high chance of being selected by the coaches.

mystargtr34
01-21-2009, 07:49 PM

In fact he has a very good chance of being voted in by the fans. He lead Melo for the first 2 returns and now only trails by a few thousand. Couple that with Melo's recent injury, i think he might over take him.

If that happens, it might be Melo who wont be voted in by the coaches.

quentin_compson
01-22-2009, 04:18 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that it probably would be better for Manu if he didn't get voted an All-Star?

He still doesn't seem to be at 100%, as far as his physical shape goes, and I for one would rather see Manu get some rest after all those tough road games in the next two weeks.

As for Tony, I think he should be a lock for the ASG. He is averaging career-highs in points and assists per game on one of the best teams in the league. His 55-point performance should also help making a case for his appearance in Phoenix.

WalterBenitez
01-22-2009, 10:11 AM
TD is obvious
TP is probably
Manu is unlikely

sonic21
01-22-2009, 10:15 AM
tim, tony and mason (maybe bonner) will be in phoenix for the AS weekend :tu

50 cent
01-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Paul
Mcgrady
Carmelo
Duncan
Yao
----------
Billups
Roy
Dirk
Amare
Shaq
Parker
Gasol

No Kobe? RIght.

NFGIII
01-22-2009, 12:05 PM
No Kobe? RIght.

Really. No Kobe? He's a lock - hands down. No question.

Rummpd
01-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Yes Nash does not belong this year! Not even a discussion point.

temujin
01-22-2009, 12:54 PM
450 NBA players.
24 go to the ASG

Mr. Ginobili will not be in.
He was not in last year.
Even after dropping 46 on James' face.

In essence, does that mean he is NOT in the top 6% of the personnel of his profession?

Can anybody seriously believe this?

I wonder whether any coach would dare leave Ginobili out,
with something seriously to be won at the ASG.

zinagray
01-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Go Timmy!!

Spurs Brazil
01-22-2009, 04:30 PM
PER Diem: Jan. 22, 2009Comment Email Print By John Hollinger
ESPN.com
Archive

Noah Graham/NBAE/Getty Images
Obviously can't argue with fans selecting Kobe and LeBron as All-Star Game starters.It's that time of year again. In three weeks, the league's best and brightest will descend upon Phoenix for All-Star Weekend, and as always it's our job to divine which 24 players should get the invitation.

Insider
AI. T-Mac. Amare. Should they start in the All-Star Game in Phoenix? John Hollinger disagrees with the fans. Insider
The first phase is selecting the starters, a chore that wraps up later Thursday when the league announces results of the fan voting for the chosen quintet from each conference.

But let's look at another question instead: Who should be going? In anticipation of today's announcement, it's my turn to tell everyone the 10 players I think are worthy of the honor.

As always, it's important to go over the ground rules before we get down to the nitty-gritty. For starters, I'm using the same ballot everyone else did. That means Tim Duncan and Pau Gasol are forwards, Manu Ginobili and Tracy McGrady are guards, etc. There's no switching allowed for me -- after all, it's pretty silly of me to complain about the fan vote unless I'm explaining what they ought to have done.

With that out of the way, let's get to the selections. We'll start in the West, where things are a bit more cut-and-dried, before turning to some messier situations in the East:

Western Conference

Point guard: Chris Paul, Hornets
This is one of the easiest picks on the ballot, though it appears the fans will screw it up anyway with the indefensible selection of McGrady. Paul is the premier point guard in the game, leading the league in steals and assists and, halfway through the season, posting the best Player Efficiency Rating mark of any point guard in history.

Paul's 30.13 PER through Wednesday's games is MVP-caliber, as is his stat line of 21.2 points, 11.1 assists and 49.9 percent shooting. So is the fact the Hornets are in the West's top four at the halfway point despite having only one other player above the league average in PER.

Shooting guard: Kobe Bryant, Lakers
The Lakers star does more with eight fingers than almost anyone else does with 10, shrugging off last season's broken pinkie and Monday's finger dislocation. He is the league's third-leading scorer and has put L.A. far ahead of the pack in the Western Conference.

Bryant ranks seventh in PER and has dialed up his effort at the defensive end. Always a fourth-quarter force on D, his focus in the first three quarters has been notable as well this season -- it is one of many reasons the Lakers are much improved overall at that end.

Small forward: Dirk Nowitzki, Mavericks
If you wanted to be real technical and pick an actual small forward from the West, you'd be awfully disappointed. The best small forward in the conference this season has probably been either Kevin Durant or Andrei Kirilenko, neither of whom has any business being in Phoenix this February. And if not constrained by ballot restrictions, Brandon Roy would be a fine choice here to complement Kobe on the wings.

But we're limited by the ballot, and a quick glance at the available forwards reveals Nowitzki as the best candidate to slide down to the 3. Though the Mavs have been a disappointment, Dirk has taken care of business, with the second-highest 40-minute scoring rate of his career and the league's ninth-best PER. And it's easy to forget that "disappointment" is a relative term (especially after Wednesday night's 34-point loss to the Bucks) -- the Mavs are 24-18, which ain't chopped liver.

Power forward: Tim Duncan, Spurs
OK, time for my annual rant on position semantics: We have to start differentiating between what teams call a player and where he actually plays on the floor. If the Spurs want to call Duncan a forward or the Knicks want to call Jared Jeffries a center they're more than welcome, but that doesn't mean we have to follow along like sheep. Duncan guards centers, centers guard him and he plays the spot on the floor normally occupied by centers. For every purpose of interest to a fan or an analyst, he's a center.

Nonetheless, he's on the ballot as a forward, and at either position he's a home-run selection to be in the West's starting five. Duncan has quietly been the backbone of San Antonio's D more than ever this season, as the Spurs have left him as the lone shot-blocker on the front line. And he also took on a major early-season workload to keep the Spurs afloat while Tony Parker and Ginobili were out.

Duncan is a quiet fifth in the NBA in PER, and the Spurs are an equally quiet second in the West. Duncan sports career highs in shooting percentage (51.4 percent) and assist ratio, as well as his highest scoring average in five years at 20.4.

Center: Yao Ming, Rockets
So much for the idea that he can't stay healthy. With teammates dropping like flies around him, the sharpshooting giant has played 42 of 43 games for Houston to keep the Rockets near the leaders in the West at 27-16.

Speaking of offense, Yao's 54.4 percent shooting from the field and 86.7 percent mark from the line are both career highs, giving him the highest true shooting percentage of any player in the top 35 in PER. But that tells only part of the story. He's using his size to impact games on the defensive end nearly as much as he does on offense.

Eastern Conference

Point guard: Devin Harris, Nets
Fans will end up botching the point guard spot in both conferences, as Allen Iverson will be the choice of fandom instead of the far more deserving Harris.

One can also argue for Orlando's Jameer Nelson here -- certainly he has had a lot more success on the team level -- but Harris' greyhound routine has turned an expected laughingstock into a playoff hopeful at the season's midway point. He's 12th overall and second only to Chris Paul among point guards with a 23.16 PER, and his average of more than nine free throw attempts a game is absurd for a point guard. In addition, it's hard to give too much weight to Nelson's W's without also taking note of the several last-second shots that Harris has made to lead the Nets to a win.

Shooting guard: Dwyane Wade, Heat
If the NBA still gave out its Comeback Player of the Year Award, Wade would be a shoo-in to win it. After an injury-ravaged 2007-08 season had all of us wondering whether we would ever see the Wade from the 2006 Finals again, he has provided an emphatic answer in the affirmative.

On a Heat team with few other threats to command attention, Wade is leading the league in scoring and is third in PER. And he has Miami poised to make the playoffs after finishing with the league's worst record last season. It's all quite a turnaround for a player who limped through 51 games each of the past two seasons -- he hasn't missed a single outing so far in 2008-09.

Small forward: LeBron James, Cavs
The easiest position to fill on the ballot, as James is threatening to break the record for PER and his Cavs are vying for the best record in the East.

I won't dwell here since I just got done lauding him a few hours ago, but suffice it to say that anyone leaving this oval blank on his or her ballot has some serious explaining to do.

Power forward: Kevin Garnett, Celtics
Most of the choices on this list were relatively easy; this is the one exception. Splitting hairs among Garnett and Chris Bosh is tough, especially when both are birds of a feather as long, lean power forwards who like to play away from the basket.

Bosh's numbers are superior in most respects. He has a better PER (23.27 to 21.34); he has played substantially more minutes (38.6 to 32.6); and his team's inferior win-loss record is easily explained away by comparing the people that surround them.

But Garnett is the ultimate choice for the simple reason that his intensity at the defensive end still percolates through the rest of the roster, allowing the Celtics to be among the league's elite teams at that end even while taking opponents' best shot every night. In the end, their numbers are close enough that the D puts KG over the top.

Center: Dwight Howard, Magic
A no-brainer given that (A) he's the best player on the team with the best record at 33-8, and (B) the East doesn't have a single other credible All-Star at the center position.

In continuing his ascension to superstardom, Howard is fourth in PER and leads the league in both blocks and rebounds. He's a strong threat to win the Defensive Player of the Year award and figures to be in the top five in the MVP vote as well.

John Hollinger writes for ESPN Insider. To e-mail him, click here.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-090122

mystargtr34
01-22-2009, 05:57 PM
Really. No Kobe? He's a lock - hands down. No question.

:lmao i put Paul instead of Bryant.

My bad

Let me edit my original post.

phxspurfan
01-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Manu really doesn't deserve it this year. Last year he defeinitely did, but so did Roy. That was tough. But TP vs. Nash? I'd take Nash -- without him the Suns are garbage. We played wihtout TP for a month and did alright.

mystargtr34
01-22-2009, 06:47 PM
But the Spurs are also alot better with Parker in the lineup than the Suns with Nash in the lineup. A player shouldnt be punished for having better team mates.

Parker has been better this year.

Lady M
01-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Please Nash don't have AS stats 14.2 pts 48% and 9.3 ass