PDA

View Full Version : Tax cheater in charge of IRS??

cool hand
01-22-2009, 12:41 AM
sign his ass up quick.

ChumpDumper
01-22-2009, 12:45 AM
The IRS didn't even think it was a big deal. It's odd that his employer left playing their share of SS taxes up to him.

Winehole23
01-22-2009, 12:55 AM
Who was the 1st chairman of the SEC?

Winehole23
01-22-2009, 01:01 AM
The IRS didn't even think it was a big deal. It's odd that his employer left playing their share of SS taxes up to him.$36,000. Not paid until the Obama team found it during the vetting.

Geithner says he was careless and forgot. Says he used Turbo-Tax.

I believe him.

You'd think a President of the New York Fed (http://www.newyorkfed.org/aboutthefed/orgchart/geithner.html) would have a better answer than that, though.

2centsworth
01-22-2009, 01:13 AM
$36,000. Not paid until the Obama team found it during the vetting.

Geithner says he was careless and forgot. Says he used Turbo-Tax.

I believe him.

You'd think a President of the New York Fed (http://www.newyorkfed.org/aboutthefed/orgchart/geithner.html) would have a better answer than that, though.

so he's either a cheat or careless with finances? sign him up.

EricB
01-22-2009, 01:25 AM
Change at its finest.

Winehole23
01-22-2009, 01:31 AM
If we don't appoint him quickly, the banks will start feeling more pain. Confirm the man.

SnakeBoy
01-22-2009, 01:35 AM
If we don't appoint him quickly, the banks will feel the pain. Vote to confirm.

And if we do appoint him quickly the banks will be fine?

Winehole23
01-22-2009, 01:41 AM
And if we do appoint him quickly the banks will be fine?Your sarcasm meter might be faulty. Sorry for not using a smilie.

Winehole23
01-22-2009, 01:42 AM
The banks are fucked. That's why there's going to be more nationalization.

SnakeBoy
01-22-2009, 01:47 AM
Your sarcasm meter might be faulty. Sorry for not using a smilie.

No, I hate smilies. I just had my sarcasm meter turned off. Paying bills tonight, it always fucks me up.

MeIII
01-22-2009, 01:49 AM
All it takes is common sense when listening to his excuses to know this dude is lying out of his ass.

Nothing is surprising anymore.

Change.

Winehole23
01-22-2009, 02:50 AM
Mr. WH23 votes 'Aye'.

How can anybody with adequate self knowledge and compassion deny a man the simple gumption to at least try to secretly steal his own money back from the government?

God bless him!

Aye!

cool hand
01-22-2009, 08:57 AM
I can't think of a better person to be in charge of the IRS than a guy who hates them...poetic justice I think.

Bartleby
01-22-2009, 09:07 AM
I can't think of a better person to be in charge of the IRS than a guy who hates them...poetic justice I think.

Dems stealing a page from the Republican playbook.

Das Texan
01-22-2009, 09:26 AM
The IRS didn't even think it was a big deal. It's odd that his employer left playing their share of SS taxes up to him.

not when you are considered an independent contractor basically.

i should 'forget' about my self employment taxes this year.

oops.

clambake
01-22-2009, 11:06 AM
if you ain't cheatin' then you ain't tryin'.

Crookshanks
01-22-2009, 12:03 PM
He was self-employed - which means he had to pay all the SS taxes. He signed forms acknowledging he understood the tax responsibilities and he was reminded numerous times by IMF - yet he still claims it was an innocent mistake? The guy is a liar and a cheat - so by all means let's let him take care of the nation's money!

And can we now expect the IRS to be a kinder, gentler institution? I mean - they didn't even assess penalties to this tax cheat! Let's see how one of us fiefs would fare if we "forgot" to pay our taxes.

clambake
01-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Let's see how one of us fiefs would fare if we "forgot" to pay our taxes.

go for it.

SnakeBoy
01-22-2009, 12:15 PM
sign his ass up quick.

They're taking your advice.

Senate panel votes to confirm Timothy Geithner
The Senate Finance Committee voted 18-5 Thursday in favor of Timothy Geithner’s nomination as Treasury secretary.

Geithner’s nomination now goes to the full Senate, which is expected to confirm him.

Supporters of Geithner cited his intellect and years of experience at the Treasury Department, the International Monetary Fund and as president of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. They said Geithner made a mistake by failing to pay self-employment taxes while working at the IMF, but noted he has acknowledged and corrected that mistake.

Plus, they said the Treasury secretary’s position is too important to leave vacant given the current economic crisis.

Sen. Kent Conrad, D-N.C., said he found Geithner’s failure to pay taxes “completely unacceptable,” and would lead him to vote against his nomination “in normal times.”

“These are not normal times,” Conrad said. “I personally don’t think we can afford a further delay in filling this critically important position.”

Several Republicans said they would support Geithner because President Barack Obama deserves to have the management team he wants.

But Republicans who voted against Geithner cited both his tax mistakes and his record as a financial regulator.

“I’m not convinced he’s the right man for the job,” said Sen. Michael Enzi, R-Wyo. “This is a man who’s going to be in charge of tax reporting and collection.”

Previous nominees for Cabinet posts who made less serious errors on their taxes were forced to withdraw, he noted. Geithner has paid $42,702 in back taxes and interest for self-employment taxes that should have been paid from 2001 to 2004.

Sen. Jim Bunning, R-Ky., said he “cannot in good conscience” vote for Geithner without a more thorough investigation of Geithner’s tax history and his role in the economic crisis facing the country.

As president of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, Geithner “sat idly by as devastating risk became more and more concentrated in a handful of few large financial institutions.”

Sen. John Kyl, R-Ariz., said he “reluctantly” would vote against Geithner because the nominee has failed to “display the kind of candor I expect” from a Treasury secretary.

doobs
01-22-2009, 12:18 PM
I think every president is entitled to his cabinet and judicial appointments. Republicans are making a stink about this just to gain political points; this man will be confirmed.

I say confirm him. Make Obama live with his appointment. Make Obama fire him, if necessary.

Crookshanks
01-22-2009, 12:41 PM
I think every president is entitled to his cabinet and judicial appointments. Republicans are making a stink about this just to gain political points; this man will be confirmed.

I say confirm him. Make Obama live with his appointment. Make Obama fire him, if necessary.
Oh really? What about checks and balances? And you might refresh my memory - how did the Dems handle Bush's appointees? That's right - they blocked them every chance they got!!

clambake
01-22-2009, 12:47 PM
from desperation to bitterness.

that's entertainment!

Darrin
01-22-2009, 12:53 PM
We don't need this. I had questions on Geithner because of his background anyway. Does anyone realize this guy is an elbow-grease economist? He doesn't have the credentials for the position! Why did President Obama nominate him?

Crookshanks
01-22-2009, 01:07 PM
We don't need this. I had questions on Geithner because of his background anyway. Does anyone realize this guy is an elbow-grease economist? He doesn't have the credentials for the position! Why did President Obama nominate him?

Because Obama is a rube who doesn't really have a clue what he's doing. Let's get real - 4 years ago, no one outside of Illinois even knew who Obama was - now he's President?! After the Democrat convention people were saying "who's this guy with the funny name?" And two of those 4 years he's been campaigning. He's never made an executive decision and now he's faced with the task of running the government and staffing all these cabinet posts - he's totally in over his head.

Winehole23
01-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Oh really? What about checks and balances? And you might refresh my memory - how did the Dems handle Bush's appointees? That's right - they blocked them every chance they got!!Really? My brief googling search shows about 10% of Bush's judicial nominees rejected. That may be a comparatively high ratio for all I know, but it's hardly "every chance."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59877-2004Dec12.html

http://leahy.senate.gov/press/200504/041105b.html

As for Cabinet appointees rejected, I find only Linda Chavez and Bernard Kerik for GWB . Twice that number were withdrawn under Clinton: Zoe Baird, Lani Guinier, Bobby Ray Inman and Anthony Lake.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A11123-2005Apr23?language=printer

jack sommerset
01-22-2009, 01:09 PM
This is so simple. A guy is interviewing for a job. His job is head of the IRS. For whatever reason he does not pay his own taxes you go interview someome else.

Ok, it was a accident. Thats what I am going to say when HIS employees ask me why I did not pay my 2008 taxes. I highly doubt they will have pity on me. Our country is fucked up and people are actually defending this guy. Noone is saying put the guy in jail. Look for another job.

Winehole23
01-22-2009, 01:31 PM
This is so simple. A guy is interviewing for a job. His job is head of the IRS. For whatever reason he does not pay his own taxes you go interview someome else.This is a highly respectable take, but it probably won't win the day. Why not?

I'm not exactly sure.

doobs
01-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Really? My brief googling search shows about 10% of Bush's judicial nominees rejected. That may be a comparatively high ratio for all I know, but it's hardly "every chance."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59877-2004Dec12.html

http://leahy.senate.gov/press/200504/041105b.html

As for Cabinet appointees rejected, I find only Linda Chavez and Bernard Kerik for GWB . Twice that number were withdrawn under Clinton: Zoe Baird, Lani Guinier, Bobby Ray Inman and Anthony Lake.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A11123-2005Apr23?language=printer

I will say the Democratic opposition to Bush's judicial appointments was almost unprecedented--except by Democrats in years past, because they are so scared of Roe v. Wade being overturned. In other words, because they disagree with the views of conservative judges, not because they doubt their qualifications.

Winehole23
01-22-2009, 01:53 PM
We don't need this. I had questions on Geithner because of his background anyway. Does anyone realize this guy is an elbow-grease economist? He doesn't have the credentials for the position! Why did President Obama nominate him?Because he's a former branch president for the Fed. The banks wanted him, so they'll get him.

http://thatwoman.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/976537-oompah-loompah-0.jpg

"But Daddy! I want an Oompa- Loompa now!"

Winehole23
01-22-2009, 01:58 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0di4chofGNgq6/610x.jpg

SnakeBoy
01-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Kinda reminds me of Ben Linus.

Winehole23
01-22-2009, 02:46 PM
I will say the Democratic opposition to Bush's judicial appointments was almost unprecedented--except by Democrats in years past, because they are so scared of Roe v. Wade being overturned. In other words, because they disagree with the views of conservative judges, not because they doubt their qualifications.Ebenezer Hoar's nomination to the SC was rejected because he had the temerity to suggest to US Senators that judges ought to be qualified in the first place.

My point is that deference to qualifications may serve fairness and comity, but it sounds a little silly to suggest political considerations oughtn't to enter into political appointments. How else do you keep someone with an objectionable character or programme out of government? Or get your cronies in?

ClingingMars
01-22-2009, 03:15 PM
destroy the IRS

-Mars