PDA

View Full Version : TP on other Point Guards (From "l'Equipe")

adrien
01-22-2009, 07:49 AM
This is a translation from french Newspaper "L'Equipe"

Parker votes for Paul

Best PG at penetration
Devin Harris and Me
"Devin Harris comes just after me. He must have watched some videos on me. I know that Avery Johnson made him watch me a a lot when he was in Dallas. This year, he doesn't stop penetrating. Just like me in 2006, when I was an NBA first in points in the paint."

Best PG at shooting
Steve Nash
"It's a no contest. He shoots FTs at 90%, 50% 3pt FG in his good years and 50% FG. Derek Fisher is also very strong at 3pts. But the best catch and shoot is Mike Bibby. He's been model for me in that category."

The nicest PG
Chris Paul
"I really get along with him. But there are also Deron Williams and Steve Nash. We have dinner together and see each other outside the court. But I meet a lot more the PGs from Western conference."

The hardest PG to play against
Andre Miller
"I dont know why but he is a "pain in the ass". Everytime he plays against me, he is hot. Just like me when Iwas playing gary Payton at the begenning of my career. Miller is a guy we don't talk a lot but he goes wild when he plays against me.. Maybe he is motivated because i'm an all-star. There are also Chauncey Billups, Baron Davis and Jason Kidd. They post-up a lot. They are hard to stop because they go inside a lot."

The best rookie PG
Derrick Rose
"But watch DJ Augustin, he's starting to gain confidence."

The best dribbler
Allen Iverson
"No Contest. He's out of range that's all. He also as the best first step and on 1vs1. He has a very special game."

The most underrated PG
Devin Harris
"He was already very good in Dallas but he couldn't let himself go because of Nowitzki and Howard. We can see how strong he is this year. The other one is Miller, an old school PG, but he is good every year, solid."

The most overrated PG
Rajon Rondo
"It used to be Jason Williams. People used to love him because he was making fancy assists and they were forgetting the passes in the stands. Nowadays it's more difficult. Maybe Rajon Rondo. He is a bit overrated.Playing with Pierce and Garnett helps a lot and people tend to forget that."

The best defender
"I would say Chris Paul. He defends well, has good hands, he anticipates well. Chris Paul and Jason Kidd. They both have a high sense of anticipation. They always have a hand in there that can steal the ball. Then Chauncey Billups who is really strong. But I consider myself a top 5."

The best passer
"Chris Paul and Deron Williams. No. Chris Paul and Steve Nash. You have to have the right players next to you. Chris Paul has them. Tyson Chandler for high passes and David West who is a pure PF and a hell of a shooter. But Paul has the vision on court."

Conclusion
"Chris Paul is the most skilled. But it's more complicated. It depends on the team you play on. If I was playin in New Orleans or Phoenix, I would have more responsabilities, more assists. My Top 5 is : Chris Paul, Myself, Deron Williams, Steve Nash and Chauncey Billups. The best PGs are in the Western Conference. Allen Ivers is now in the east but we also have Baron Davis, and when he is healthy, he can be a "pain in the ass" to play against."

TP's Top 5
1 Chris Paul
2 Tony Parker
3 Deron Williams
4 Steve Nash
5 Chauncey Billups

Others : Harris, Iverson, Miller, Rose, Rondo.

timvp
01-22-2009, 07:53 AM
:lmao

That is so full of win, it's amazing. Perhaps the best article posted this season. Props, adrien, for the find.

I'm sure the people who already don't like Parker will also love the article.

Kori Ellis
01-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Tony's honesty in this is super classic.

Who wrote the article, Olivier?

adrien
01-22-2009, 07:57 AM
Olivier Pheulpin

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-22-2009, 07:59 AM
Thanks for posting the article! :) :toast

Andre Miller
"I dont know why but he is a "pain in the ass". Everytime he plays against me, he is hot. Just like me when Iwas playing gary Payton at the begenning of my career. Miller is a guy we don't talk a lot but he goes wild when he plays against me.. Maybe he is motivated because i'm an all-star. There are also Chauncey Billups, Baron Davis and Jason Kidd. They post-up a lot. They are hard to stop because they go inside a lot."

The most overrated PG
Rajon Rondo
"It used to be Jason Williams. People used to love him because he was making fancy assists and they were forgetting the passes in the stands. Nowadays it's more difficult. Maybe Rajon Rondo. He is a bit overrated.Playing with Pierce and Garnett helps a lot and people tend to forget that."

The best defender
"I would say Chris Paul. He defends well, has good hands, he anticipates well. Chris Paul and Jason Kidd. They both have a high sense of anticipation. They always have a hand in there that can steal the ball. Then Chauncey Billups who is really strong. But I consider myself a top 5."

TP's Top 5
1 Chris Paul
2 Tony Parker
3 Deron Williams
4 Steve Nash
5 Chauncey Billups

About Miller, I knew that. I even talked about how Miller always kills TP in the game thread. Dre just goes off on TP every time. I'm a big Dre fan - as TP says, he's "an old school PG".

Interesting comment on Rondo.

As for a Top 5 defensive PG, he has shown that he can be in flashes, like the 2007 playoffs, but he's inconsistent in the regular season - great one game, poor the next. I think it has a lot to do with matchups - big points with a post game give him problems, as he admits. What do you guys think?

I like how he rates himself second to Paul. Confident, but realistic. On his day, I think he's right, but any of those 4 can be second to Paul on their day, and each of them can beat Paul at their best.

Kori Ellis
01-22-2009, 08:01 AM
About Miller, I knew that. I even talked about how Miller always kills TP in the game thread. Dre just goes off on TP every time. I'm a big Dre fan - as TP says, he's "an old school PG".

He actually doesn't. He only averages about 12-13 points against Parker, but he's either feast or famine... he gets like 26 or 5. Parker (and you) obviously remember the going off games. :lol

adrien
01-22-2009, 08:03 AM
Hope I didn't make any mistranslation. It sounds a bit cocky as I reread it.

Kori Ellis
01-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Hope I didn't make any mistranlation. It sounds a bit cocky as I reread it.

It's good and thanks for translating. I don't think it sounds that cocky, he's just very honest. I like that he said Rondo is overrated.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-22-2009, 08:05 AM
He actually doesn't. He only averages about 12-13 points against Parker, but he's either feast or famine... he gets like 26 or 5. Parker (and you) obviously remember the going off games. :lol

I'll take your word for it - maybe by chance I've only seen the big games, or have selective amnesia as you say. :lol

I will add that I seem to recall some big games by Miller against TP both as a Nugget and a Clipper, although my memory is dusty...

Really gotta love TP for laying it all out like that. Few athletes are ever that candid!

I bet the article cause a minor shitstorm in the media somehow, totally undeserved of course. I wish more athletes were so honest about each other! I want to know who likes who, who thinks who is over-rated, and who has dinner together! :lmao

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-22-2009, 08:08 AM
It's good and thanks for translating. I don't think it sounds that cocky, he's just very honest. I like that he said Rondo is overrated.

Yeah, Rondo's lack of a jumper is a major flaw in his game, although he is a fine player otherwise. We once said something similar about TP, although even with his pre-Engelland form he was a better shooter than Rondo! :lol

Kori Ellis
01-22-2009, 08:08 AM
I'm guessing it's so candid and honest since it's Olivier writing it, and he and Tony are close. I don't know if many of the NBA players will even know about it, unless they are coming to SpursTalk to read it :lol

timvp
01-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Best PG at penetration
Devin Harris and Me
"Devin Harris comes just after me. He must have watched some videos on me. I know that Avery Johnson made him watch me a a lot when he was in Dallas. This year, he doesn't stop penetrating. Just like me in 2006, when I was an NBA first in points in the paint."Accurate.

Best PG at shooting
Steve Nash
"It's a no contest. He shoots FTs at 90%, 50% 3pt FG in his good years and 50% FG. Derek Fisher is also very strong at 3pts. But the best catch and shoot is Mike Bibby. He's been model for me in that category."Accurate.

Andre Miller
"I dont know why but he is a "pain in the ass". Everytime he plays against me, he is hot. Just like me when Iwas playing gary Payton at the begenning of my career. Miller is a guy we don't talk a lot but he goes wild when he plays against me.. Maybe he is motivated because i'm an all-star. There are also Chauncey Billups, Baron Davis and Jason Kidd. They post-up a lot. They are hard to stop because they go inside a lot."Eh, Parker has had plenty success against Miller in his career. Miller just has had a few monster games against him but overall Parker has outplayed him pretty handily. I'd say Devin Harris since Harris can defend TP, draw charges on TP and score on TP.

The most overrated PG
Rajon Rondo
Accurate. It's either Rondo or Nash at this point. But it's damn funny that he called out Rondo. Hopefully this doesn't get to Boston . . .

The best defender
"I would say Chris Paul. He defends well, has good hands, he anticipates well. Chris Paul and Jason Kidd. They both have a high sense of anticipation. They always have a hand in there that can steal the ball. Then Chauncey Billups who is really strong. But I consider myself a top 5."CP3 isn't that good of a defender. He gets steals but that's about it. Kidd used to be really good but he's slowing down. When fully energized, Billups and Davis are up there.

It's funny that Parker calls himself top 5. This season, he probably hasn't been top 15. But come playoff time, he's up there. Top 5 is still a stretch but he can reach a pretty high level when he wants to ... which hasn't been often this season.

The best passer
"Chris Paul and Deron Williams. No. Chris Paul and Steve Nash. You have to have the right players next to you. Chris Paul has them. Tyson Chandler for high passes and David West who is a pure PF and a hell of a shooter. But Paul has the vision on court."Gotta be Nash but CP3 is moving up the charts.

Conclusion
"Chris Paul is the most skilled. But it's more complicated. It depends on the team you play on. If I was playin in New Orleans or Phoenix, I would have more responsabilities, more assists. My Top 5 is : Chris Paul, Myself, Deron Williams, Steve Nash and Chauncey Billups. The best PGs are in the Western Conference. Allen Ivers is now in the east but we also have Baron Davis, and when he is healthy, he can be a "pain in the ass" to play against."I agree that Parker would have more responsibilities if he wasn't playing next to two Hall of Famers. Although that also helps him.

If I had to guess, Parker's stats would look a lot better if he had the point guard friendly talent on NO around him or played for D'Antoni.

TP's Top 5
1 Chris Paul
2 Tony Parker
3 Deron Williams
4 Steve Nash
5 Chauncey BillupsThat's tough. Paul has earned the number one spot. When healthy and playing at his best, I probably put Williams two. Billups could very well be three. I don't think Parker can go much lower than four, though.

This is a classic overly honest Parker article. You can tell why he gets along with Pop so well because they are both brutally honest and don't really care about being PC.

Plus I like TP's confidence in this article. There's no such thing as a great point guard that isn't brimming with confidence. More than any other position, you have to have utmost and consistent confidence to survive as an NBA point guard. For that reason, I actually wish he would have called himself the best point guard in the NBA.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-22-2009, 08:12 AM
Fantastic post LJ, concur on it all. :)

I'm guessing it's so candid and honest since it's Olivier writing it, and he and Tony are close. I don't know if many of the NBA players will even know about it, unless they are coming to SpursTalk to read it :lol

I think ST is a more respected source than you know... I'd be surprised if some regular NBA beat writers don't peruse this place, and in their hands they can use it to ask other players directly what they think - you know, the kind of BS some of them do to get a quote. I don't think the Spurs reporters would use it maliciously, but some other shitstirrer like Kiszla might - he could put it in Chauncey's face to see what he says, or one of the Utah reporters with Deron.

Anyway, let's hope it is all taken in good spirit. :)

PS If something untoward does occur, I think it would be a good idea to bring this thread to the attention of a guy like Henry Abbot, who would cover it very fairly as he is high on journalistic ethics, and a wide range of people read him.

urunobili
01-22-2009, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the article AND the translation!

Kori Ellis
01-22-2009, 08:19 AM
Fantastic post LJ, concur on it all. :)

I think ST is a more respected source than you know... I'd be surprised if some regular NBA beat writers don't peruse this place, and in their hands they can use it to ask other players directly what they think - you know, the kind of BS some of them do to get a quote. I don't think the Spurs reporters would use it maliciously, but some other shitstirrer like Kiszla might - he could put it in Chauncey's face to see what he says, or one of the Utah reporters with Deron.

Anyway, let's hope it is all taken in good spirit. :)

Yeah, anything is possible. We get something like 7M+ page views a month now. So you never know who is looking. :nerd

mathbzh
01-22-2009, 08:19 AM
In French interviews, french players often say things they would not in an US media.

Batum in a local paper said:

Et il y a Kobe Bryant. Il n’est pas comme les autres. Je défends généralement sur le meilleur joueur adverse. C’est lui qui m’a le plus impressionné. Tu as beau savoir ce qu’il va faire, il arrive quand même à mettre le panier. Je ne sais pas comment il fait. Dwyane Wade (Miami) est aussi très fort. Quelle vitesse et quel contrôle ! Par contre, j’ai été un peu déçu par Tracy McGrady (Houston). Je m’attendais à mieux.

There is Kobe... Wade is also very strong...
I was a bit disappointed with TMac. I expected better.

Do you imagine a young french rookie saying that on ESPN?

timaios
01-22-2009, 08:20 AM

It is an internet world. Tomorrow everyone in the league will be aware of that interview.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-22-2009, 08:21 AM
In French interviews, french players often say things they would not in an US media.

Aren't we all... :depressed

Priceless!

ForeignFan
01-22-2009, 08:49 AM
[QUOTE=RuffnReadyOzStyle;3046676]Fantastic post LJ, concur on it all. :)

+1:tu

Typical (should I say TPcal ?) Tony's candid style !

samikeyp
01-22-2009, 08:51 AM
Nice. :tu

Brazil
01-22-2009, 09:09 AM
I love TP, he says what he thinks and for the consequences well...

I remember at the time of J Kidd trade rumors, he made quite amazing interview in french newspapers.

Props to him to call out Rondo, the most acurate quote of his interview. I agree with him for most part of his quotes except maybe on the D, right he is not a top 5 and CP3 is not number 1 but who am I ? He is a top PG in the league and plays against these guys I'm going to trust him and see with more attention the CP3 D.

Brazil
01-22-2009, 09:10 AM

This was priceless too !! French are crazy sometimes.

lefty
01-22-2009, 09:12 AM
I was so close to work for " l'Equipe"

(True story)

Brazil
01-22-2009, 09:15 AM
And thanks Adrien for sharing that, I guess it was from le journal L'équipe not the website.

I miss reading "L'équipe" in Paris with a cup of coffee, a croissant, a cigarette while watching the girls walking... :(

Well nothing to complain about now I'm reading "folha de São Paulo" with a caipirinha, a pao de queijo, a cigarette while watching the super hot brazilian girls walking.

Brazil
01-22-2009, 09:17 AM
I was so close to work for " l'Equipe"

(True story)

So you were close to work in Issy-les-Moulineaux then. What happened ?

SenorSpur
01-22-2009, 09:18 AM
I wonder what TP thinks about Ricky Rubio.

alchemist
01-22-2009, 09:23 AM
It's almost unprecedented to call someone overrated while playing the same sport so I'm definitely a bit shocked by that. Then again Tony publicly stated that he loved the trade Dallas made, couldn't have been a bigger insult to Jason Kidd.

I have to give the guy respect for having the balls to say what he wants without being PC about it. :wakeup

it's me
01-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Crap, he’s top ten in humbleness too.

TDMVPDPOY
01-22-2009, 09:24 AM
all i can say is, TP has a winning record against most of these clowns anyway

his h2h stats against these tools is very competitive also,

top3 it can be changeable tp/cp3/deron

lefty
01-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Olivier Pheulpin

Didn't he use to work for 5 Majeur?

Pheulpin is great.

And 5 Majeur is waayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than Mondial Basket.

So you were close to work in Issy-les-Moulineaux then. What happened ?

I was living in France back then, but not in Paris.

Basically, they had to chose between me and another guy (for the NBA section); the only advantage the other dude had on me was that he was living in Paris, not me.

I needed relocation reimbursement, as I was short on money back then, but they didn't want to pay.
I wrote a pre-season preview, they liked it so much they asked me if they could use it; I said no, but they offered me some $$$$ for it.

SO I said yes :D

Borosai
01-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Spurs vs. Celtics, 2009 NBA Finals. If Duncan-Garnett and Bowen-Allen wasn't enough, now we have Parker-Rondo. Nice.

lefty
01-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Spurs vs. Celtics, 2009 NBA Finals. If Duncan-Garnett and Bowen-Allen wasn't enough, now we have Parker-Rondo. Nice.

Celtics are not returning to the Finals.

They had a nice run last season, but it's over.

ManuTP9
01-22-2009, 09:55 AM
good find.

kace
01-22-2009, 10:00 AM
TP would never have said these things in USA. for sure. he's often like that in France, a little bit cocky, but always in a nice way. I don't really like this aspect of his character but i think he does that in France to be praised in a country where basketball isn't as famous as soccer. so he really wants to make sure people in France know he's a star in NBA. not really the spurs kind of interview that tony does in US.

About his "cockyness", even if it's not the best part of his character, i admire the way it helped him to progress in his career, to go from an unknown rookie to a starter for a contender, then a good player who used to disappear in PO, then a clutch superstar and a finals MVP. it's his confidence (and work)which allowed that.

anyway, i've got to agree for most of his comments: but CP3 isn't the best defender and TP isn't a TOP5 PG defender. he's a good defendor when focused on the PO, but he'll never be a defensive force. too weak when posted up even if he can be one of the best at staying in front of his man.

and yes, Rondo is overrated but TP still put him in the top 10. i don't think he intended to bash him.

it's me
01-22-2009, 10:23 AM
So Rondo is overrated because he plays with Pierce and Garnett????……………………………………….

Dude forgets he plays with Mr. Duncan and Ginobili.

Isn’t Tony overrating himself then????

lefty
01-22-2009, 10:23 AM
TP would never have said these things in USA. for sure. he's often like that in France, a little bit cocky, but always in a nice way. I don't really like this aspect of his character but i think he does that in France to be praised in a country where basketball isn't as famous as soccer. so he really wants to make sure people in France know he's a star in NBA. not really the spurs kind of interview that tony does in US.

About his "cockyness", even if it's not the best part of his character, i admire the way it helped him to progress in his career, to go from an unknown rookie to a starter for a contender, then a good player who used to disappear in PO, then a clutch superstar and a finals MVP. it's his confidence (and work)which allowed that.

anyway, i've got to agree for most of his comments: but CP3 isn't the best defender and TP isn't a TOP5 PG defender. he's a good defendor when focused on the PO, but he'll never be a defensive force. too weak when posted up even if he can be one of the best at staying in front of his man.

and yes, Rondo is overrated but TP still put him in the top 10. i don't think he intended to bash him.

Did you watch Les Guignols de l'Info of January 21 ? :lmao

mathbzh
01-22-2009, 10:26 AM
La TP family est dans la place

kace
01-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Did you watch Les Guignols de l'Info of January 21 ? :lmao

no. some "TP family" ?

lefty
01-22-2009, 10:49 AM
no. some "TP family" ?

Yep

kace
01-22-2009, 10:56 AM
La TP family est dans la place

Yep

ok. i've just seen it: "je sens mon flow qu'arrive là ! " :lol
well, too bad his puppet is actually a better rapper than him.

lefty
01-22-2009, 11:10 AM
ok. i've just seen it: "je sens mon flow qu'arrive là ! " :lol
well, too bad his puppet is actually a better rapper than him.

:lol

xtremesteven33
01-22-2009, 11:15 AM
I dont like how he said that about Rondo too much.

Didnt Rondo drop like 20+ points and have 10+ rebounds on San Antonio just last year???

Shastafarian
01-22-2009, 11:23 AM
I dont like how he said that about Rondo too much.

Didnt Rondo drop like 20+ points and have 10+ rebounds on San Antonio just last year???

No. But he did have 20 and 6 in one game and 5, 11 (reb), and 12 in the other.

Pauleta14
01-22-2009, 12:46 PM

Actualy, Tony is known (in France) for speaking very "frankly" !
That's why it didn't suprised me...
In fact, people in France think that this part of his personality comes from his "american half" :lol. We are not used to hear people speaking so "honestly" to the media...
That's why it's funny that his "candidness" does suprise YOU (american people:lol).
Anyway, I personaly think he is very objective and does sum up why is often said about him and his rank in the league (except TP bashers of course!).
I mean, skills appart, you productivity (stats) depends a lot on what team/system/partners you play in/with...
Last point : To all ST, if you realy wanna judge TP's level, do not take only his last few games in account! Don't forget what he already did this year (once again better than the last one, like each year since he came in the nba!) they play so many games and are not robots!!
Overall, he is MONEY for the spurs !

DAF86
01-22-2009, 12:58 PM
:lol Great article, no "cassette" answers here. Is refreshing to hear a player say what he trully bealives.

DAF86
01-22-2009, 01:13 PM
TP would have never said those things for the US media. Manu is also a little more honest with his Argie interviewers.

MoSpur
01-22-2009, 01:20 PM
TP cracked me up. That is very confident of him. In a way I like it and don't like it. I like it because you want a confident player on your team, however, if some of this gets to the other players, it might cause a little something. Oh well though.

I too think Rondo is overrated. He is quick and knows how to play well within his team, but if he were on the Thunder or TWolves, he might not be as good.

duncan228
01-22-2009, 01:24 PM
What a great piece. Thanks for the translation.

I'd love to see other players answer these questions, but it might be best to see if there's any fallout from this first. :lol

td4mvp21
01-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Paul must be really fucking nice off the court because whenever he plays the Spurs, he is a total bitch ass on the court. I wonder what Tony thinks when he acts that way on the court against them.

td4mvp21
01-22-2009, 01:28 PM
BTW, TP is awesome :tu

JamStone
01-22-2009, 02:05 PM
I actually don't think Tony came off as cocky much at all in the article. Hard to read the tone of a person through type, but I imagined that he was just (as some have suggested) speaking candidly and bluntly. I certainly don't agree with all of his assessments on other point guards, but I don't think he was being cocky about it. Tony is probably an underrated defender, but claiming he's a top 5 defensive point guard is hard to agree with. And, Chris Paul has great instincts defensively but also gambles a lot. No way would I say CP3 is the best point guard defender in the league.

At any rate, overall, a nice read.

lefty
01-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Paul must be really fucking nice off the court because whenever he plays the Spurs, he is a total bitch ass on the court. I wonder what Tony thinks when he acts that way on the court against them.

+1

de Soto
01-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Very French. That's why they are so easy to hate. But when you are good, why not flaunt it?:flag:

de Soto
01-22-2009, 02:13 PM

The bitch is just doing his job. BFD.

td4mvp21
01-22-2009, 02:28 PM
The bitch is just doing his job. BFD.

If one of my friends acted like that against me on the court, I would get pretty pissed. Maybe I just value respect, stupid me!

Kamnik
01-22-2009, 02:41 PM
great great GREAT read

Man i love the spurs. Honest answers and all quite realistic. Not cocky at all imo, just really honest.

kace
01-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Very French. That's why they are so easy to hate.

FU

i guess Deshawn Stevenson (with his LBJ bashing), Stephon Marbury, Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett are not cocky so. TP, at least, is always humble in post game interviews and on the court.

romain.star
01-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Very French. That's why they are so easy to hate. But when you are good, why not flaunt it?:flag:

Haha funny cause as other french posters said, we (french spurstalkers) think that his cockiness comes from his american roots. It's actually not french at all !

Anyway, i first dislike this aspect of his personnality but as timvp said, that's (partly) why he has become so good. He never doubt and has a huge selfconfidence

stéphane
01-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Haha funny cause as other french posters said, we (french spurstalkers) think that his cockiness comes from his american roots. It's actually not french at all !

I don't really agree bro. I mean it's more an education thing. We (french) can really be arrogant at times. Let's face it :lol
Great ITW nonetheless, I like reading an article with something in it. Reading formated/formal/pseudo humble answers all the time brings nothing to the table and make me sick. Being humble is a good thing but you gotta express your opinion at times.

Spurs Brazil
01-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Great read

Thanks for posting and I agree with TP top 5

it's me
01-22-2009, 04:05 PM
I don't really agree bro. I mean it's more an education thing. We (french) can really be arrogant at times. Let's face it :lol
Great ITW nonetheless, I like reading an article with something in it. Reading formated/formal/pseudo humble answers all the time brings nothing to the table and make me sick. Being humble is a good thing but you gotta express your opinion at times.

Be a man Tony and express yourself with the American media.

stéphane
01-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Be a man Tony and express yourself with the American media.

:sleep
Find me an american ITW with such questions.

mogrovejo
01-22-2009, 04:26 PM

I'm positively sure Rondo already knows about this. I partially agree with Parker though - Rondo's offense is over-rated. But Parker under-rates Rondo's defense and by a lot. Rondo is easily a top3 defensive pg in the league.

OTOH, it was nice from Parker to reckon the greatness of Garnett and Pierce. I mean imagine how good could Tony Parker be if he was playing alongside a PF and a wing like them? :toast

stéphane
01-22-2009, 04:34 PM
OTOH, it was nice from Parker to reckon the greatness of Garnett and Pierce. I mean imagine how good could Tony Parker be if he was playing alongside a PF and a wing like them? :toast

?
Don't we have two HoF alongside Tony?

mogrovejo
01-22-2009, 04:37 PM
?
Don't we have two HoF alongside Tony?

Yeah, but apparently they're not good enough to make Parker over-rated, unlike Pierce and Garnett.

DAF86
01-22-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm positively sure Rondo already knows about this. I partially agree with Parker though - Rondo's offense is over-rated. But Parker under-rates Rondo's defense and by a lot. Rondo is easily a top3 defensive pg in the league.

Agreed, he might be the best defensive PG in the league.

DAF86
01-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Yeah, but apparently they're not good enough to make Parker over-rated, unlike Pierce and Garnett.

Pierce and Garnett will make Tony look good by comparisson.

it's me
01-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Pierce and Garnett will make Tony look good by comparisson.

Howcome????

DAF86
01-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Howcome????

If he can make stupid coments like that, I can too.

jack sommerset
01-22-2009, 05:02 PM
I can't wait for this guy to lose Duncan. Parker was the most overrated PG in the league when the Spews won a ring, now that Rondo has one, Parker says he is overrated. "Rondo has Garnett and Pierce" You have freaken DUNCAN! Hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Miller guards him tough because he is a all-star". Good GOD man. Speedy Claxton would have been a all star if he was the starter of the Spews. Didn't the Spews have a better record when all-star was out this year? Switch Parker with Miller and he has 3 rings.

He puts himself at number two.:vomit:

z0sa
01-22-2009, 05:05 PM
I can't wait for this guy to lose Duncan. Parker was the most overrated PG in the league when the Spews won a ring, now that Rondo has one, Parker says he is overrated. "Rondo has Garnett and Pierce" You have freaken DUNCAN! Hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Miller guards him tough because he is a all-star". Good GOD man. Speedy Claxton would have been a all star if he was the starter of the Spews. Didn't the Spews have a better record when all-star was out this year? Switch Parker with Miller and he has 3 rings.

He puts himself at number two.:vomit:

Parker was a much better scorer than Rondo even in 2003, his first ring - and he now has three and a Finals MVP, which Rondo will NEVER get.

try again.

Pauleta14
01-22-2009, 05:14 PM

I think TP meant that with this type of players, its easy to get a lot of assists...
Tim and Manu are more used to create their own shots, that takes many assists off TP's stats.
That stat (assists) is the ONLY thing that seperates Parker from being recognized as the same level than CP3 or Deron or Nash in all the talking.
The main reasons he doesn't get a 10+assists average is
1-The spurs system (not really catch and shoot...)
2-The specific talent of the 2 HoF he plays with (that I mentioned before)
3-He LOVES to score

it's me
01-22-2009, 05:19 PM
If he can make stupid coments like that, I can too.

Honestly I think Rondo would be better playing with Mr. Duncan and this guy Manu.

DAF86
01-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Honestly I think Rondo would be better playing with Mr. Duncan and this guy Manu.

Better than what he's now or better than Tony?

it's me
01-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Better than what he's now or better than Tony?

Better than what he’s now… he will never be better than Tony.

kace
01-22-2009, 05:25 PM

put Rondo in any team with any player, he would never have the ability to score and attack the rim that tony has. and that's specifically what the spurs need.

Pauleta14
01-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Speedy Claxton would have been a all star if he was the starter of the Spews.

:lmao:lmao:lmao

Don't you think he had the oportunity to prove himself in training or on the floar during the time he was a spur??
You think Pop is stupid enough to put his best PG on the bench 90% of playing time??
Come on...:lol

Didn't the Spews have a better record when all-star was out this year? :downspin:

The spurs are actualy better with than without him !

Switch Parker with Miller and he has 3 rings.

:nope

No thks, look at Miller overall stats these last 6 years, no way he can compete!!!:rollin

Pauleta14
01-22-2009, 05:37 PM

I don't think so, Rondo benefits from the fact that the Celtics play with a lot of energy, so he has to do mutch more things than he would with a spurs system (no haley hoops...).
TP is the ideal player for pop because he can also (as Tim and Manu) creates his own shot (+ with a high %), Rondo can't score that much and THAT easily!!!

jack sommerset
01-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Speedy Claxton would have been a all star if he was the starter of the Spews.

:lmao:lmao:lmao

Don't you think he had the oportunity to prove himself in training or on the floar during the time he was a spur??
You think Pop is stupid enough to put his best PG on the bench 90% of playing time??
Come on...:lol

Didn't the Spews have a better record when all-star was out this year? :downspin:

The spurs are actualy better with than without him !

Switch Parker with Miller and he has 3 rings.

:nope

No thks, look at Miller overall stats these last 6 years, no way he can compete!!!:rollin

Speedy played 30 games with the Spews, then he went to get his money with Golden State. My point is and will always be you can replace Parker very easily, again just wait until Duncan is gone.

Pop is not stupid. He has Duncan. In fact his very smart. He shit canned the coach at the time so the Spews could tank the season to get Duncan. Gamble paid off and they got Duncan. He says himself he will retire when Duncan retires. Wise move.

Miller is a very good PG and no doubt in my mind he could have run the show much better than Parker. Find me a world where I can look at Miller stats the past 6 years where he has Duncan on his team and I will do that.

I would take more than half the PGs in this league over Parker. I would even take some of the back ups.

phxspurfan
01-22-2009, 06:20 PM
I would take more than half the PGs in this league over Parker. I would even take some of the back ups.

Haha wow. Give me some of whatever you got, it must be good.

I suppose you'd take Anthony Johnson over Parker? How about Earl Watson?

Chief
01-22-2009, 06:20 PM
Tp Saying Chris is the best, is the same As Chris saying TP is the best.

When Chris Paul visited James Madison High School in San Antonio (my brothers go there). My brother approached him and asked him who was the better point guard, himself or Deron Williams, Chris Replied "Tony Parker".

So Chris is a humble guy off the court.

Tony is a confident guy to make those statements.

Let's see, he's French
He has 3 Rings
He has Eva Longoria as his wife.

How can he not be confident. :lol

JamStone
01-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Eva might be a little jealous of Tony's "relationship" with Chris Paul.

mystargtr34
01-22-2009, 06:55 PM
I think Chris Paul and a healthy Deron are the only two guys better than Parker.

1. Paul
2. Deron
3. Parker
4. Billups

de Soto
01-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Reading formated/formal/pseudo humble answers all the time brings nothing to the table and make me sick. Being humble is a good thing but you gotta express your opinion at times.

Exactly. :toast

Austin_Toros
01-22-2009, 07:27 PM
The most overrated PG

The best defender

The best passer
"Chris Paul and Deron Williams. No. Chris Paul and Steve Nash. You have to have the right players next to you. Chris Paul has them. Tyson Chandler for high passes and David West who is a pure PF and a hell of a shooter. But Paul has the vision on court."

TP's Top 5
1 Chris Paul
2 Tony Parker
3 Deron Williams
4 Steve Nash
5 Chauncey Billups

William's passes into the stands :lmao
TP a top 5 defender?
Harris doesn't crack the top 5 PGs?

ohmwrecker
01-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Sounds like Tony to me. You have to be arrogant if you are a point guard in the NBA. He is totally right about Rondo. He is humble enough to admit his biggest weakness as a post-up defender. I think he is definitely top 5, especially since Nash and Kidd are taking a step backwards. What's the problem? Speedy Claxton? Are you serious?
Tony Parker is the best paint scoring point guard in the NBA, hands down. He might be the quickest. He is definitely the quickest off a full stop.

HarlemHeat37
01-22-2009, 08:03 PM
good read..

I'd have TP as the 4th best PG in the NBA, behind Paul, Williams, and probably Billups..I might put him ahead of Chauncey, but I'd say CB's defense puts him ahead..

there's absolutely no way Tony is a top 5 defender at the PG position though, not even close..

roycrikside
01-22-2009, 08:30 PM
We have fun with Tony being Tony (http://www.poundingtherock.com/2009/1/22/732287/tony-tony-parker-thinks-th).

Yorae
01-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Tp's so confident eh. I wonder who are the top 5 pg in the nba in terms of swagger. And of course top 5 clutch pg.

Yorae
01-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Damn that added comments on ptr are crazy! LMAOF!

Bruno
01-22-2009, 08:43 PM
A thread about Parker on ST without the stupid Parker haters wouldn't be a thread about Parker. :rolleyes

spursfan09
01-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Tp Saying Chris is the best, is the same As Chris saying TP is the best.

When Chris Paul visited James Madison High School in San Antonio (my brothers go there). My brother approached him and asked him who was the better point guard, himself or Deron Williams, Chris Replied "Tony Parker".

So Chris is a humble guy off the court.

Tony is a confident guy to make those statements.

Let's see, he's French
He has 3 Rings
He has Eva Longoria as his wife.

How can he not be confident. :lol

Exactly! The haters are just jealous of him. That and they probably get all pissed when they catch thier girlfriends staring at Tony Parker all throughout the game and talking about how lucky EVA is.

Man Mountain
01-22-2009, 08:59 PM
Not a very spurs type interview but gives us fans inside look at NBAers thoughts.

We have fun with Tony being Tony (http://www.poundingtherock.com/2009/1/22/732287/tony-tony-parker-thinks-th).

Started out funny but quickly got boring and u forgot to italicise one section. Did you ask permissing to use the translation word by word?????????

Hype Man Manu
01-22-2009, 09:01 PM

I know about it

mardigan
01-22-2009, 10:05 PM

The Bobcats will be a powerhouse for the next 10 years because of the excellence that is DJ Augustin.

Starting next year.

himat
01-22-2009, 10:09 PM
:lol All I have to say. Tony is barely top 10 PG on my list. Manu is hands down the 2nd best player on the Spurs and is a top SG. Does he actually think he is a top 5 defender?:lol:lol:lol

spursfan09
01-22-2009, 10:19 PM
:lol All I have to say. Tony is barely top 10 PG on my list. Manu is hands down the 2nd best player on the Spurs and is a top SG. Does he actually think he is a top 5 defender?:lol:lol:lol

You must not watch much Spurs game and I guess you blacked out in the 07 finals.

ducks
01-22-2009, 10:23 PM
A thread about Parker on ST without the stupid Parker haters wouldn't be a thread about Parker. :rolleyes

sad huh

it's me
01-22-2009, 11:16 PM
sad huh

yeah... what about his homers??:lol

Shastafarian
01-22-2009, 11:18 PM
yeah... what about his homers??:lol

They're always overlooked. It's much easier to say someone is a "hater" than someone is a "homer" or "nuthugger" or that he is "gay for Parker".

gilmor
01-23-2009, 12:34 AM
They're always overlooked. It's much easier to say someone is a "hater" than someone is a "homer" or "nuthugger" or that he is "gay for Parker".

ya man.. fuck u

mogrovejo
01-23-2009, 12:37 AM
When was this (the original article) published, does anyone know?

senorglory
01-23-2009, 12:47 AM
I'd be surprised if some regular NBA beat writers don't peruse this place

Perhaps I'll be quoted as an "Anonymous Source."

adrien
01-23-2009, 03:54 AM
When was this (the original article) published, does anyone know?

yesterday

Rapper
01-23-2009, 04:07 AM
The best spurs talk member
Rapper *

adrien
01-23-2009, 12:06 PM

I agree with that. Last night's game is a good example.
Rondo
39 min, 9pts (4/10 FG), 8 rebs, 2 asts, 1 steal, 2 Tos

He limited Jameer Nelson to:
17 pts (6/16 FG), 2 rebs, 3 asts, 2 tos in 37 min.

It will be interesting to see what happens when we play boston. I predict TP owns Rondo in SA and Rondo owns TP in Boston.

It may go differently if Rondo reads the article. :p:

adrien
02-05-2009, 06:59 PM
In case Rondo reads SpursTalk. Just wanted to remind him what TP said about him. And I believe tony is going to torch him...

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Parker is too fast for Rondo. And Rondo has NO offensive game really. He needs to start practicing.

mogrovejo
12-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Honni soit qui mal y pense.

mogrovejo
05-10-2010, 04:28 PM
This is a translation from french Newspaper "L'Equipe"

Parker votes for Paul

Best PG at penetration
Devin Harris and Me
"Devin Harris comes just after me. He must have watched some videos on me. I know that Avery Johnson made him watch me a a lot when he was in Dallas. This year, he doesn't stop penetrating. Just like me in 2006, when I was an NBA first in points in the paint."

Best PG at shooting
Steve Nash
"It's a no contest. He shoots FTs at 90%, 50% 3pt FG in his good years and 50% FG. Derek Fisher is also very strong at 3pts. But the best catch and shoot is Mike Bibby. He's been model for me in that category."

The nicest PG
Chris Paul
"I really get along with him. But there are also Deron Williams and Steve Nash. We have dinner together and see each other outside the court. But I meet a lot more the PGs from Western conference."

Andre Miller

The best rookie PG
Derrick Rose

The best dribbler
Allen Iverson
"No Contest. He's out of range that's all. He also as the best first step and on 1vs1. He has a very special game."

The most underrated PG
Devin Harris
"He was already very good in Dallas but he couldn't let himself go because of Nowitzki and Howard. We can see how strong he is this year. The other one is Miller, an old school PG, but he is good every year, solid."

The most overrated PG
Rajon Rondo

The best defender

The best passer

Conclusion
"Chris Paul is the most skilled. But it's more complicated. It depends on the team you play on. If I was playin in New Orleans or Phoenix, I would have more responsabilities, more assists. My Top 5 is : Chris Paul, Myself, Deron Williams, Steve Nash and Chauncey Billups. The best PGs are in the Western Conference. Allen Ivers is now in the east but we also have Baron Davis, and when he is healthy, he can be a "pain in the ass" to play against."

TP's Top 5
1 Chris Paul
2 Tony Parker
3 Deron Williams
4 Steve Nash
5 Chauncey Billups

Others : Harris, Iverson, Miller, Rose, Rondo.

I hope nobody hires this guy as a scout once his playing days are over.

kace
05-10-2010, 04:40 PM

ChumpDumper
05-10-2010, 07:36 PM
mogrovejo's butt has hurt for a year.

DAF86
05-10-2010, 07:38 PM

During that time Rondo was overrated, he was seeing as an all-star when he wasn't.

TheProfessor
05-10-2010, 07:42 PM
"Maybe" it's Rondo, "a bit" overrated. Did you bookmark this based on that language? :lol

BadOdor
05-10-2010, 08:00 PM
mogro holds a grudge like a motherfucker.

Spurologist
05-10-2010, 08:41 PM
mogrovejo's butt has hurt for a year.

:lol