PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 New Alternative Bands

urunobili
01-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Hey Guys I am looking for new alternative bands to listen to begin 2009.

Below I'll list some of the ones that have been driving me crazy the most lately.

Maybe you being there in America or else where in the world could help me find some other ones that i am missing that may be cool to explore.

Here the last ones I have been listening to:

- The Receiving End of Sirens
- Mae
- Scary Kids Scaring Kids
- Armor For Sleep
- Taproot
- The Almost
- The Classic Crime
- Story of the Year
- Secret and Whisper
- Circa Survive
- Thrice

Some other ones i have been listening to:

- Atreyu
- Edgewater
- Emery
- Evans Blue
- The Fall Of Troy
- Fivespeed
- Four Year Strong
- Hot Cross
- Underoath
- Nonpoint
- Saosin
- Roses are Red
- Chevelle
- Breaking Benjamin
- Anberlin
- Finch

Thanks! :toast

chreph
01-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Based on the bands you listed, I'd say you should check the following out if you already haven't:

Fair to Midland
Dredg
Burn Season - only put out one album and it's a little old but good stuff
Hurt
Ra - From One
Red - even though they've got a little recent exposure 2 years too late
Strata - like Evans Blue, they've split with their singer now but still a good listen
Trust Co - like Taproot, were dropped by their label and are coming back
10 Years - pretty popular but I didn't see them on your list

Cold - Even though they've been at it for over 10 years (one of my fav bands). They broke up but are embarking on a "farewell" reunion tour right now (Scout Bar in SA on 4/18/09!).

DarkReign
01-22-2009, 02:37 PM
I didnt even know the music industry existed anymore.

DisAsTerBot
01-22-2009, 02:49 PM
hardly new but, ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead

PakiDan
01-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Sigur Ros - not new, but always great.

Spurminator
01-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Nirvana?

DisAsTerBot
01-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Nirvana?

whoa, i have a feeling he may have heard a song or two of theirs :p:

Thunder Dan
01-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Based on the bands you listed, I'd say you should check the following out if you already haven't:

Fair to Midland
Dredg
Burn Season - only put out one album and it's a little old but good stuff
Hurt
Ra - From One
Red - even though they've got a little recent exposure 2 years too late
Strata - like Evans Blue, they've split with their singer now but still a good listen
Trust Co - like Taproot, were dropped by their label and are coming back
10 Years - pretty popular but I didn't see them on your list

Cold - Even though they've been at it for over 10 years (one of my fav bands). They broke up but are embarking on a "farewell" reunion tour right now (Scout Bar in SA on 4/18/09!).
those bands all blow, and they are not new, they have all been around for atleast 5 years....Trust Company was big in 2002, Dredge was big in 01, Ra was big in 04

I think the term 'Alternative' was lost in translation, it should be 'emo, screamo, and numetal'

chreph
01-22-2009, 03:41 PM
Seeing as the OP is from Argentina and listed Taproot (who I've listened to for over 8 years), I figured he might have missed some of those bands.

From what I've heard, there's just not very many good bands that are "new" right now. :( I'm not too sure what the scene is now... is "indie" still the new mainstream? :lol

I agree that "alternative" was lost in translation so I went off of the bands he posted. I've been out in my own world with work lately so I'm pretty out of touch with the music scene outside of my ipod. I was hoping to get turned onto a new band or two in this thread as well

Thunder Dan
01-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Listen to the Deftones first 2 albums...that is about the best your are going to find here in the States for the genre you seem to be into

DisAsTerBot
01-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Listen to the Deftones first 2 albums...that is about the best your are going to find here in the States for the genre you seem to be into

:lol:lol .......deftones, after you call out chreph for listing "old" bands

Thunder Dan
01-22-2009, 03:53 PM
:lol:lol .......deftones, after you call out chreph for listing "old" bands

just saying there aren't any good new ones-guessing with the bands he is listening to, he probably doesn't listen to Deftones.

CuckingFunt
01-22-2009, 10:05 PM
I think the term 'Alternative' was lost in translation, it should be 'emo, screamo, and numetal'

That goes a long way to explaining why I hadn't heard of a single band mentioned in the first two posts. I was starting to feel really old.

IronMexican
01-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Los Tucanes Del Norte

dimsah
01-22-2009, 10:25 PM
I've been listening to a band called "Textures" lately.
They have 3 albums out. I've only heard the 3rd one called "Silhouettes" but it's really good.

dirk4mvp
01-22-2009, 10:47 PM
I hear Fall Out Boy is good.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-23-2009, 12:42 AM
Animal Collective blows away every band mentioned in this thread (except for Nirvana, but that wasn't a serious post)

http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/animalcollective/merriweatherpostpavilion

ClingingMars
01-23-2009, 01:06 AM
Hey Guys I am looking for new alternative bands to listen to begin 2009.

Below I'll list some of the ones that have been driving me crazy the most lately.

Maybe you being there in America or else where in the world could help me find some other ones that i am missing that may be cool to explore.

Here the last ones I have been listening to:

- The Receiving End of Sirens
- Mae
- Scary Kids Scaring Kids
- Armor For Sleep
- Taproot
- The Almost
- The Classic Crime
- Story of the Year
- Secret and Whisper
- Circa Survive
- Thrice

Some other ones i have been listening to:

- Atreyu
- Edgewater
- Emery
- Evans Blue
- The Fall Of Troy
- Fivespeed
- Four Year Strong
- Hot Cross
- Underoath
- Nonpoint
- Saosin
- Roses are Red
- Chevelle
- Breaking Benjamin
- Anberlin
- Finch

Thanks! :toast

these two bands are epic winners, I have a friend here at JMU who used to be the drummer for MAE, and Anberlin's music is just the shiz. They came to Harrisonburg, but over Christmas break :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang

-Mars

Slydragon
01-23-2009, 02:26 AM
Not new but I listen to them, they are suppose to come together at the white rabbit in a few months I believe. Last time I saw Alesana they were plying with Scary Kids Scaring Kids

Drop Dead Gorgeous

4UhW8MTzaNM

Alesana

uXCzbfjZBQ0

braeden0613
01-23-2009, 02:41 AM
Attack Attack!
A day to remember
midlake
the virgins
vampire weekend

these aren't all new but are some good indie and alt bands

Xylus
01-23-2009, 02:54 AM
Some people consider them more indie than alternative, but TV on the Radio is a worthwhile listen, particularly their 2nd album Return to Cookie Mountain.

I'm also of the opinion that you can't go wrong with Muse.

urunobili
01-23-2009, 08:52 AM
Thank you all for you input!!! I'll start checking some of the bands you recommended me.. I definitively was VERY general using the term "Alternative"... but otherwise i have to list like 7 styles as Thunder Dan said...

urunobili
01-23-2009, 09:03 AM

Fair to Midland - Thanks
Dredg - Have all their records
Burn Season - only put out one album and it's a little old but good stuff have em all
Hurt got them too
Ra - From One i love them
Red - even though they've got a little recent exposure 2 years too late i'll check them out
Strata - like Evans Blue, they've split with their singer now but still a good listen like their stuff a lot
Trust Co - like Taproot, were dropped by their label and are coming back didn;t know that can't wait to hear new stuff
10 Years - pretty popular but I didn't see them on your list have been a fan since their beggining

Cold - Even though they've been at it for over 10 years (one of my fav bands). They broke up but are embarking on a "farewell" reunion tour right now (Scout Bar in SA on 4/18/09!). got their stuff

urunobili
01-23-2009, 09:12 AM
these two bands are epic winners, I have a friend here at JMU who used to be the drummer for MAE, and Anberlin's music is just the shiz. They came to Harrisonburg, but over Christmas break :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang

-Mars

Damn... MAE is one of my favorite new bands... i just love them...

urunobili
01-23-2009, 09:17 AM
Attack Attack!
A day to remember
midlake
the virgins
vampire weekend

these aren't all new but are some good indie and alt bands

Attack Attack! FTW
A day to remember FTW
midlake FTL
the virgins FTL
vampire weekend FTL

urunobili
01-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Some people consider them more indie than alternative, but TV on the Radio is a worthwhile listen, particularly their 2nd album Return to Cookie Mountain.

TVOTR was SUPER psychedelic! fun stuff

Muse i have all their stuff!

urunobili
01-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Drop Dead Gorgeous

I'll get their stuff! liked them a lot!

Alesana

They are a lil rusty still but they'll become a great band.. will follow their progress :tu

ClingingMars
01-23-2009, 02:17 PM

most definitely, i love Muse.

-Mars

DisAsTerBot
01-23-2009, 02:35 PM
hardly new but, ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead

no love for TOD? :(

Duff McCartney
01-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Ghostland Observatory. Great band from Austin Texas. I hope one day I can see them perform soon.

Disasterbot....I haven't heard TOD but I know of them because alot of people think the lead singer sounds like Noel/Liam Gallagher. I remember a couple of years ago people would post their songs and say they would be new Oasis songs. I didn't think they were that bad but never looked into it further.

DisAsTerBot
01-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Ghostland Observatory. Great band from Austin Texas. I hope one day I can see them perform soon.

Disasterbot....I haven't heard TOD but I know of them because alot of people think the lead singer sounds like Noel/Liam Gallagher. I remember a couple of years ago people would post their songs and say they would be new Oasis songs. I didn't think they were that bad but never looked into it further.

ghostland! :tu .... uhhhh, I've never heard that about conrad (lead singer of TOD) ....personally, i cant stand Oasis but i guess i can kinda see the voice similarities (i guess). Anyway, the music is like a newer, catchier sonic youth sound...and they are from austin as well...

oh, and i've seen ghostland a few times here in austin....highly recommended

chreph
01-23-2009, 04:23 PM
32 Leaves seems like they're going to have a really good album, too... all I've found is a couple of iTunes singles so far, though. Haven't really looked too hard to be honest.

mardigan
01-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Some good bands on here. Fall Of Troy, Muse, TV On The Radio, Vampire Weekend, Dredg, all really good bands. Ive been listening to a band named Mum a lot, as well as El Perro Del Mar, and Band Of Horses,although again, it could easily be argued that these arent alternative. I also unfortunately got hooked on a band called Taking Back Sunday, they arent the best, but have some catchy shit.

urunobili
01-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Some good bands on here. Fall Of Troy, Muse, TV On The Radio, Vampire Weekend, Dredg, all really good bands. Ive been listening to a band named Mum a lot, as well as El Perro Del Mar, and Band Of Horses,although again, it could easily be argued that these arent alternative. I also unfortunately got hooked on a band called Taking Back Sunday, they arent the best, but have some catchy shit.

great post :tu I forgot to include the fall of troy and i am a HUGE fan of them :tu

Will check Mum, El Perro Del Mar and Band of Horses :tu

Taking Back Sunday has nothing to be ashamed of they're AWESOME!

DANILO DRASKOVIC
01-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Not sure what you mean by "new"
but I really like Mewithoutyou

Duff McCartney
01-23-2009, 10:49 PM
ghostland! :tu .... uhhhh, I've never heard that about conrad (lead singer of TOD) ....personally, i cant stand Oasis but i guess i can kinda see the voice similarities (i guess). Anyway, the music is like a newer, catchier sonic youth sound...and they are from austin as well...

oh, and i've seen ghostland a few times here in austin....highly recommended

I love Oasis so that's why I heard of TOD. I think he did sound a bit like them which is why people would sorta believe it.

Xylus
01-24-2009, 12:52 AM

I love Band of Horses. :toast

PuttPutt
01-24-2009, 02:36 AM
There were a bunch of bands I like in the earlier posts too

Here's a list of others that I like...(most have been around for a lttle while). Some have a rock sound & some have a pop sound. All considered "Alternative"
Mute Math
Placebo
Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Raconteurs
One Day As A Lion
Modest Mouse
Sliversun Pickups
Black Mountain
Brand New
Interpol
Kings of Leon
MGMT
Glasvegas
Coconut records
3OH!3
The Kooks
Psychic Ills
Zero 7
The Whigs

I could keep going, but the list would be too long. I've got all of these & more in my ipod.

manufor3
01-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Any1 here like KoRn or Hatebreed?

Thunder Dan
01-24-2009, 11:14 AM
3OH!3

:lmao

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-24-2009, 11:15 AM
Any1 here like KoRn or Hatebreed?

Korn, hell yes. My favorite band.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-24-2009, 11:21 AM
I hear Fall Out Boy is good.

:lol

Winehole23
01-24-2009, 06:06 PM
Back in the 1980's, alternative meant you had to go to funky boutiques like Hogwild Records to even find it. Now they have it all the mall.

"Alternative" is a marketing designation aimed at hipsters of college age and other conforming nonconformists.

"emo, screamo and numetal" also cover it pretty well.

Duff McCartney
01-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Kings of Leon

Hell yes! Kings of Leon are fucking amazing. Their new album is fantastic. I love that song Closer. Best song on the album I think. They are such an unheard of band here in the States but they are huge in the UK.

chreph
04-17-2009, 08:32 AM
Not really "new" but thought I'd bump this and let you know that Hurt put out a new album last Tuesday (haven't logged on in a while). It's called "Goodbye to the Machine" and it was all recorded WITHOUT computers. All analog with no protools and I must say the new album is terrific. It's a little more "pop" than vol I and II but you can hear J. Loren Wince a whole lot better :toast

Gervin44Silas13
04-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Alternative Sucks .....Metal Rules!
Just ask Kurt Cobain...oh wait he's dead just like that fad of music it fizzled like a fart the way Disco did.

sook
04-17-2009, 09:43 PM
New band called "The Veer Union"

have been listening to Seasons all day

manufor3
04-17-2009, 10:38 PM
alter bridge
silverstein
3Oh!3 (only richman)

td4mvp21
04-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Animal Collective