PDA

View Full Version : Our world may be a giant hologram

tlongII
01-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Smoke a bowl and ponder this for a while.... Whoa dude!

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20126911.300-our-world-may-be-a-giant-hologram.html?full=true

An excerpt from the article...

DRIVING through the countryside south of Hanover, it would be easy to miss the GEO600 experiment. From the outside, it doesn't look much: in the corner of a field stands an assortment of boxy temporary buildings, from which two long trenches emerge, at a right angle to each other, covered with corrugated iron. Underneath the metal sheets, however, lies a detector that stretches for 600 metres.

For the past seven years, this German set-up has been looking for gravitational waves - ripples in space-time thrown off by super-dense astronomical objects such as neutron stars and black holes. GEO600 has not detected any gravitational waves so far, but it might inadvertently have made the most important discovery in physics for half a century.

For many months, the GEO600 team-members had been scratching their heads over inexplicable noise that is plaguing their giant detector. Then, out of the blue, a researcher approached them with an explanation. In fact, he had even predicted the noise before he knew they were detecting it. According to Craig Hogan, a physicist at the Fermilab particle physics lab in Batavia, Illinois, GEO600 has stumbled upon the fundamental limit of space-time - the point where space-time stops behaving like the smooth continuum Einstein described and instead dissolves into "grains", just as a newspaper photograph dissolves into dots as you zoom in. "It looks like GEO600 is being buffeted by the microscopic quantum convulsions of space-time," says Hogan.

If this doesn't blow your socks off, then Hogan, who has just been appointed director of Fermilab's Center for Particle Astrophysics, has an even bigger shock in store: "If the GEO600 result is what I suspect it is, then we are all living in a giant cosmic hologram."

The idea that we live in a hologram probably sounds absurd, but it is a natural extension of our best understanding of black holes, and something with a pretty firm theoretical footing. It has also been surprisingly helpful for physicists wrestling with theories of how the universe works at its most fundamental level.

The holograms you find on credit cards and banknotes are etched on two-dimensional plastic films. When light bounces off them, it recreates the appearance of a 3D image. In the 1990s physicists Leonard Susskind and Nobel prizewinner Gerard 't Hooft suggested that the same principle might apply to the universe as a whole. Our everyday experience might itself be a holographic projection of physical processes that take place on a distant, 2D surface.

The "holographic principle" challenges our sensibilities. It seems hard to believe that you woke up, brushed your teeth and are reading this article because of something happening on the boundary of the universe. No one knows what it would mean for us if we really do live in a hologram, yet theorists have good reasons to believe that many aspects of the holographic principle are true.

Susskind and 't Hooft's remarkable idea was motivated by ground-breaking work on black holes by Jacob Bekenstein of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in Israel and Stephen Hawking at the University of Cambridge. In the mid-1970s, Hawking showed that black holes are in fact not entirely "black" but instead slowly emit radiation, which causes them to evaporate and eventually disappear. This poses a puzzle, because Hawking radiation does not convey any information about the interior of a black hole. When the black hole has gone, all the information about the star that collapsed to form the black hole has vanished, which contradicts the widely affirmed principle that information cannot be destroyed. This is known as the black hole information paradox.

Bekenstein's work provided an important clue in resolving the paradox. He discovered that a black hole's entropy - which is synonymous with its information content - is proportional to the surface area of its event horizon. This is the theoretical surface that cloaks the black hole and marks the point of no return for infalling matter or light. Theorists have since shown that microscopic quantum ripples at the event horizon can encode the information inside the black hole, so there is no mysterious information loss as the black hole evaporates.

ORION
01-22-2009, 11:18 AM
so its possible that my penis might be bigger than it appears !

I. Hustle
01-22-2009, 11:21 AM
so its possible that my penis might be bigger than it appears !

No. It might not even exist.

ATRAIN
01-22-2009, 11:25 AM

I think you may be right.

ORION
01-22-2009, 11:26 AM

I think you may be right.

bullshit ! I just felt it move

I. Hustle
01-22-2009, 11:41 AM
it's not yours just because it's in your mouth.

ORION
01-22-2009, 11:48 AM
it's not yours just because it's in your mouth.

I can't help it if my wang is that long.

I. Hustle
01-22-2009, 11:57 AM
So he's Asian

CubanMustGo
01-22-2009, 12:24 PM
No *wonder* I keep gaining weight, it's the fault of the damn hologram projector.

PM5K
01-22-2009, 01:42 PM
So we live in the Matrix?

MiamiHeat
01-22-2009, 02:11 PM
buolsheit

The Reckoning
01-22-2009, 02:22 PM
brings back memories...

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22089&highlight=Light

some scientists also say that there might be a shadow universe if we think in terms of an atom....to kind of counter ours like a shadow...and that there are shadow beings walking around in it

kindve freaky if you ask me

this is accounted for in holographic universe theories, but with little concrete evidence

reckoning, you're knowledg dropping is getting wayyy out of hand

InRareForm
01-22-2009, 02:26 PM
no expensive machine needed, already introduced long time ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Holographic-Universe-Michael-Talbot/dp/0060922583

I. Hustle
01-22-2009, 04:48 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2008/08/gam_bizarroworld_490.jpg

balli
01-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Physics is depressing. The more I learn as a layman, the more I feel like an atomic machine with the illusion of consciousness.

Sportcamper
01-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Whenever I feel that the Universe is too complex to comprehend I focus on Laughter Yoga…

Laughter Yoga… or (Hasya Yoga) is a physically oriented technique that uses a blend of playful, empowering and otherwise "tension-releasing" simple laughter exercises. With gentle yoga-breathing and -stretching exercises, rhythmic clapping and chanting of Ho Ho Ha Ha Ha in unison a simulated laughter turns into real laughter. Laughter Yoga is done as a way to improve health, increase well-being and promote peace in the world through personal transformation…

MiamiHeat
01-22-2009, 05:13 PM
http://cr4.globalspec.com/PostImages/200709/TinFoil_DB52B2F1-0E7F-A983-F0F9D799A20B06C8.jpg

baseline bum
01-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Physics is depressing. The more I learn as a layman, the more I feel like an atomic machine with the illusion of consciousness.

:lol :toast

Physics is beautiful because it smacks us in the mouth with a lot of unanswered questions every time we think we've figured it out. Seriously, if you don't have sleepless nights trying to piece strange things together from reading your physics books, you've got the wrong ones.

tlongII
01-22-2009, 06:36 PM
http://cr4.globalspec.com/PostImages/200709/TinFoil_DB52B2F1-0E7F-A983-F0F9D799A20B06C8.jpg

Don't tell me that you don't believe in physics either? :lol

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-22-2009, 06:47 PM
So we live in the Matrix?

More like the Danger Room from the X-Men.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-22-2009, 06:55 PM
brings back memories...

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22089&highlight=Light

It's pretty amazing stuff. I wish I could wrap my mind around it a little better.

Blake
01-22-2009, 06:57 PM
More like the Danger Room from the X-Men.

more like "Help me Obi Wan...."

MiamiHeat
01-22-2009, 07:45 PM
Don't tell me that you don't believe in physics either? :lol

I think they are completely misinterpreting the data.

samikeyp
01-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Well duh, doesn't everyone know this?

:)

tlongII
01-22-2009, 08:33 PM
I think they are completely misinterpreting the data.

I don't think there's any way to interpret it correctly. You can only guess at what it means based on previously observed phenomena. The possibilities are fascinating though.

Ginobilly
01-23-2009, 01:09 AM
So, there is a God!