PDA

View Full Version : Report: Romo says he'll be more active leader

Chief
01-22-2009, 02:10 PM
link (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3851473&type=story)

Thursday, January 22, 2009
Report: Romo looking ahead to '09
ESPN.com news services

Two days after he was publicly criticized by one of his franchise's icons, Tony Romo pledged to be a different kind of leader in 2009, The Dallas Morning News reported.

"I think leadership sometimes comes with your ability to perform and your personality," Romo said, according to the newspaper. "And some of it comes with experience. In a lot of ways, I think I've gotten to the point where I've gained experience.

"I'm definitely going to take a more active approach with that as we move forward from last year to this season," he said, according to the report. "I'll be very excited to get back out there and be with the guys and figure out a way to improve and get better and do the things we need to do to win. Period."

Romo's comments were his first with a Dallas-area media outlet following the end of the regular season, in which the Cowboys collapsed down the stretch and missed the NFC playoffs -- the latest in a string of poor December performances by the team. That collapse was capped by a season-ending 44-6 drubbing at archrival Philadelphia, dropping Romo's December record to 5-8.

But Romo's Dallas-area media blackout ended when two major aftershocks from the Cowboys' December disaster shook the franchise.

The first was a Morning News report earlier this week that Cowboys players had "lost respect" for offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, in part because of Romo. The paper, citing five sources, said that Romo was inconsistent in practice and that it "affected the way he played in games and could have factored into the offense's problems."

The second came Tuesday from Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman, who, appearing on fellow Hall of Famer Michael Irvin's radio show, questioned whether Romo understood what it takes to be quarterback of the Cowboys, citing Romo's infamous vacation trip to Cabo San Lucas with girlfriend Jessica Simpson during the bye week before last year's NFL playoffs.

"I think maybe things happened so quickly for Tony in terms of obscurity to all of a sudden national spotlight that he hasn't fully grasped what being the Cowboys quarterback is all about," Aikman said in the radio appearance. "And you don't go to Cabo the week before a playoff game. You just don't do it.

"It didn't take away from his preparations. I know that. I mean, everything he says is I think accurate. I don't think that had any bearing," Aikman said. "But to say, 'I don't worry about perception,' you better worry about perception, because it's a big part of making it through some very difficult times."

The perception of Romo didn't improve with some Cowboys fans after he threw for 183 yards, no touchdowns and an interception in the embarrassing season-ending loss to the Eagles. After that game, when asked how he deals with tough losses such as that one, he said, "I wake up tomorrow and I keep living."

On Wednesday, Romo said he might have been trying to "ease the pain of the moment" after the loss in Philly, according to the Morning News.

"I might have tried to find a silver lining to talk myself into feeling OK," Romo said, according to the report. "But I'm still not OK with it."

Romo also said after that game that the Cowboys' offense was "exposed" by the Eagles -- a statement widely interpreted as a criticism of Garrett. But according to the report, Romo said he and Garrett have since spoken.

"We met after the football game and went into what went pretty good and what we could've done differently," Romo said, according to the Morning News. "Going forward, I'm pretty excited about some of the things we're going to be doing."

The loss to the Eagles -- after which Romo collapsed in the shower because of a rib cartilage injury -- ended a difficult season in which he missed three games with a fractured pinkie and took 13 stitches to close a gash on his chin.

"I think this was definitely the most trying physical year I've had in my athletic career," Romo said, according to the newspaper report. "Sometimes you have to go through that, and if you do go through something like that, you can be stronger."

What Romo did not want to talk about, however, was his relationship with mercurial wide receiver Terrell Owens. "Haven't we been through that already?" he said, according to the report.

jack sommerset
01-22-2009, 02:11 PM
sure he will

Chief
01-22-2009, 02:13 PM
Man we're in trouble, this has been his most trying "physical year" ?!!

with a fucked up pinkie and a little gash on the chin ?

oh god

J.T.
01-22-2009, 02:54 PM
A more active cheerleader maybe, but no... you either have it or you don't in the NFL, and Romo doesn't have it.

degenerate_gambler
01-22-2009, 02:57 PM
A more active cheerleader maybe, but no... you either have it or you don't in the NFL, and Romo doesn't have it.

..and they're stuck with him

jack sommerset
01-22-2009, 03:28 PM
..and they're stuck with him

sort of. they can cut him but the 10 years without romo, they sucked. except the year quincy carter had it going then he ruined it with coke. so what do you do? romo is a douche bag.

Dr. Gonzo
01-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Drew Bledsoe > Tony Romo

djohn2oo8
01-22-2009, 04:43 PM
I wonder if he has finished choking yet :vomit:

mardigan
01-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Trade him for Colt.

Blake
01-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Brad Johnson > Tony Romo

LakerHater
01-22-2009, 05:34 PM
You havta be a leader to become a more active one!

Obstructed_View
01-23-2009, 05:18 AM
Leaders don't typically make an announcement that they are going to lead, they just lead.

samikeyp
01-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Leaders don't typically make an announcement that they are going to lead, they just lead.

+1

Saying it is one thing, doing it is another.

Whisky Dog
01-23-2009, 07:30 AM
Man, this dude just keeps showing more and more that he has no idea what it takes to lead a team. Just the fact that he's talking about this says all the wrong things. You want to be an active leader, Romo? First learn how to play the game without killing your team with so many bone headed mistakes because you're a "gunslinger". Perform on the field first, then worry about leading.

dougp
01-23-2009, 08:41 AM
LMAO @ the haters. No one can do anything good enough for y'all. First thing he needs to do as a leader is take a pay cut and get Ware resigned.

dirk4mvp
01-23-2009, 09:33 AM
LMAO @ the haters. No one can do anything good enough for y'all. First thing he needs to do as a leader is take a pay cut and get Ware resigned.

I'm sure Cowboy fans enjoy getting ass pounded in the last week of the regular season. That was good enough for them?

Romo won't and can't lead shit.

Obstructed_View
01-23-2009, 12:28 PM

I have to say that turning the ball over three or more times a game, having his stats take a nosedive at the end of the year, and piloting a super bowl favorite to a dismal, playoff-missing 9-7 record is not good enough for me. Go back and read my posts and see how long I defended Romo. When he throws for 300 yards and 4 touchdowns and the team loses, I'll defend him because at least he did his job. When he fumbles twice and throws a couple of picks or when his team gets mouthfucked by the hated Eagles in a win-and-you're in game, I'm going to call him out.

He'd probably take more issue with your suggestion that he take a pay cut than my suggestion that he stop turning over the ball.

MajorMike
01-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Maybe he'll be a more active interception chunker and broken pinky ball fumbler, as well, tho he has indeed set the bar high.

Unfortunately for leadership, he can't lead his own way out of a wet paper bag; no way he 'leads' the biggest professional collection of over-inflated egos ever placed in the same zipcode.

He obviously should have really been a pro golfer after all.

to21
01-23-2009, 05:17 PM
I believe him.

lol

sa_butta
01-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way. Maybe its time for him to get the hell out of the way.

ShoogarBear
01-25-2009, 10:49 AM
I heart Tony Romo.

Obstructed_View
01-29-2009, 09:54 AM
Maybe he should start by leading his girlfriend to the gym.

jack sommerset
01-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Poor bastard, now people are talking about his whore GF being fat.

ShoogarBear
01-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Brutal crowd here.

ClingingMars
01-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Brutal crowd here.

samikeyp
01-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Brutal crowd here.

And deservedly so.

I think he can be a success in this league and he has had success in the regular season but when the games are biggest, he has not delivered. The only exceptions maybe the GB game in 07 and this past seasons Giants game. They were big but not playoff games. Until he proves he can win in January (or hell, in late December) he will be labeled as such.

ShoogarBear
01-29-2009, 05:50 PM
And deservedly so.

I think he can be a success in this league and he has had success in the regular season but when the games are biggest, he has not delivered. The only exceptions maybe the GB game in 07 and this past seasons Giants game. They were big but not playoff games. Until he proves he can win in January (or hell, in late December) he will be labeled as such.

:lol Okay, except I wasn't referring to the comments about him.

samikeyp
01-29-2009, 05:52 PM
:lol Okay, except I wasn't referring to the comments about him.

:lol

Shit, reading is fundamental. My bad. I guess he is still pissing me off from this season.

Ok, go about your business people, nothing to see here!

:lmao

leemajors
01-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Staubach on Romo, from the Cowboys Blog, by McMahon:

There are a lot of people in the Metroplex who have given up on the idea that Tony Romo can lead the Cowboys to a Super Bowl title.

Roger Staubach, who knows a thing or two about championship quarterbacking, isn't one of them.

"I like Tony a lot," Staubach said during an interview on 105.3 The Fan's Ben & Skin Show. "He makes things happen. It's a maturing process when you're a quarterback. You know, you've got to take charge. You've got to have responsibility. There are other players who can sure help you with that.

"But Tony is a really, really good quarterback, and I think he's going to get better."

Staubach isn't so sure what to think about T.O. He said he doesn't know T.O. and he restrained from offering an opinion about whether the Cowboys would be better off without their No. 1 WR.

How would Tom Landry have handled T.O.?

"It would have been interesting," Staubach said. "I think with what happened in San Francisco and Philadelphia, I'm not sure he would have had that problem."